PDA

View Full Version : NFS: Most Wanted issues

HyperMatrix
10-29-2012, 11:48 PM
So...I'm getting absolutely sick of game developers "capping" FPS in games. I just don't get it. This game has NO sli profile. So I'm running in single card mode. What's even worse...is that the game is capped at 60fps. Why oh why...I simply don't understand it...are 120hz monitors really that uncommon? Is supporting 120hz really that hard to do?

Really disappointed because it'd be a decent game otherwise.

whitespider
10-29-2012, 11:58 PM
I should have warned everyone that it was going to have a 60fps cap years before it came out. Criterion always cap their racing games to 60fps. Hard locked.

That's not my problem, because I was expecting that. My problem is the lack of sli support, and the constant dips into 40fps territory while the cpu and gpu useage is 40%. It also feels less smooth at 130hz without vsync than it does at 60fps with.

All sli flags render the game unplayable at 3fps.

HyperMatrix
10-30-2012, 02:59 AM
I'm really upset over this. And yes even on my system it will dip down to 40fps when going through some tunnels. Of course I have everything turned up. But you tend to want to do that on a quad-sli setup. I'm so disappointed. Think they'd give me a refund? I don't do 60fps gaming anymore. I compare this supposed dx11 game to dirt 3 which is a dx9 game, and dirt 3 gives me my full 120+fps, and looks better too. Can't believe it's come down to this...instead of PC games being dumbed down to work on consoles, crappy console games are poorly ported to the PC and we put up with it.

winterhell
10-30-2012, 03:12 AM
Thats very sad to hear. The previous 2 Criterion games on the PC were much lighter on the requirements while looking awesome, not counting the 60fps cap.
Btw does the game require Origin?

whitespider
10-30-2012, 03:18 AM
I'm really upset over this. And yes even on my system it will dip down to 40fps when going through some tunnels. Of course I have everything turned up. But you tend to want to do that on a quad-sli setup. I'm so disappointed. Think they'd give me a refund? I don't do 60fps gaming anymore. I compare this supposed dx11 game to dirt 3 which is a dx9 game, and dirt 3 gives me my full 120+fps, and looks better too. Can't believe it's come down to this...instead of PC games being dumbed down to work on consoles, crappy console games are poorly ported to the PC and we put up with it.

I think the game under there is worth tolerating 60fps. I mean, we each have our standards. However I don't think a universal 120-130fps is realistic for gaming in general. We would limit ourselves that way.

That said.

What IS (in my opinion) worth getting seriously angry at, is the lack of optimization of everything else. I get 40fps in tunnels, and random dips elsewhere with everything at the highest. Plus the frame perception is kind of terrible. Even for 60fps. And the moment it drops below 60fps it feels 'stuttery'. The game looks really great, however the reflections and ssao are nearly broken in their performance implementation.

Will a patch fix this? Will nvidia even go sli with this? Or will they simply label it "single gpu game". Who knows. I have not purchased the game. I WILL purchase it if those issues are fixed.

Should you get a refund? Maybe. Perhaps wait and see if a patch fixes the obviously broken graphics options. Burnout paradise and hot persuit both have 60fps caps and they are some of the best arcade racers on the market.

Ghost recon had this same issue, and it was dx11 as well. However at least with that you could just drop the ssao and get a playable non-stutter-fest fps. To get a constant 60fps in this, you need to completely disable reflections and ssao. That's a big deal.

HyperMatrix
10-30-2012, 03:20 AM
Thats very sad to hear. The previous 2 Criterion games on the PC were much lighter on the requirements while looking awesome, not counting the 60fps cap.
Btw does the game require Origin?

I thought all origin games required origin. Especially ones with an online component. Mine loads up Origin that may be because I bought it through Origin.

HyperMatrix
10-30-2012, 03:24 AM
Whitespider, Need For Speed World, which I play, isn't limited to 60fps. So I never thought for even a second that this game would be limited to 60fps. I'm not saying for them to make games optimized for 120fps. I'm saying make it optimized for 60fps, and let people decide how much eye candy they want to turn off for more framerate, or how much money they want to throw at the problem ala SLI.

Complete lack of SLI support doesn't bode well. I loved burnout paradise. This game feels like the exact same thing. A 6 year old console port. Not exactly what I was expecting. -_- I really think it should be mandatory to list FPS limit information on boxes for games so people know if a game is 60fps or 120fps capable, depending on their monitor/setup. As much as I love BF3, I wouldn't have bought it if it were capped at 60fps.

HyperMatrix
10-30-2012, 03:43 AM
I don't understand why EA even bothers keeping a late night live support chat. Shouldn't the reps you hire know a thing or two about gaming or computer hardware? I'm going to post the chat log so you can see how completely inept the "Technical Support" line for Origin is. Once I finish with the guy. I hate having to dumb myself down while talking to tech support. -_-

whitespider
10-30-2012, 04:00 AM
Whitespider, Need For Speed World, which I play, isn't limited to 60fps. So I never thought for even a second that this game would be limited to 60fps. I'm not saying for them to make games optimized for 120fps. I'm saying make it optimized for 60fps, and let people decide how much eye candy they want to turn off for more framerate, or how much money they want to throw at the problem ala SLI.

Complete lack of SLI support doesn't bode well. I loved burnout paradise. This game feels like the exact same thing. A 6 year old console port. Not exactly what I was expecting. -_- I really think it should be mandatory to list FPS limit information on boxes for games so people know if a game is 60fps or 120fps capable, depending on their monitor/setup. As much as I love BF3, I wouldn't have bought it if it were capped at 60fps.

It's about the developer, not the brand name or publisher. Criterion has always had a 60fps limit, burnout paradise had a 60fps hard lock, need for speed hot pursuit did - and this uses the same engine as that (with dx11 frills). They made both those games so that's where my guess came from.

I am glad they are doing the need for speed games, purely as a game developer they understand a sense of speed and a open world. Unfortunately, they are not all that fantastic at the pc technical side of things.

HyperMatrix
10-30-2012, 04:09 AM
Yeah. Not only is it capped at 60fps, but the textures are 1080p textures. I'm mostly disappointed just because I expected so much more. And talking to "Anjay" here at Origin technical support isn't doing much to put me at ease. -_- I don't think he's ever even played a computer game.

HyperMatrix
10-30-2012, 04:23 AM
Here's the chat transcript. So you can see the level of competence. For the record...I obviously didn't actually follow any of his suggestions. Should have been obvious with him asking me to set priority in Win8 task manager, or to click my Windows 8 start button that as far as he knows is non-existent after looking at dxdiag.

General Info
Chat start time Oct 30, 2012 5:06:53 AM ESTChat end time Oct 30, 2012 6:21:10 AM ESTDuration (actual chatting time) 01:14:16Operator Anjay
Chat Transcript
info: Your approximate wait time is 21 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 21 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 17 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 15 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 13 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 6 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 4 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 1 minute.
info: You are now ready to chat with Anjay.
Anjay: Thanks for contacting EA Help! My name is Anjay how may I help you?
you: Hi. I pre-ordered NFS Most Wanted. Downloaded it. And tried playing it tonight.
you: I can't get over 60fps in game though.
Anjay: Okay
Anjay: May I know the exact problem that you are facing with the game?
you: Yes. I have a 120hz monitor. But the game will not play over 60fps.
you: So everything is not smooth and hard to follow.
Anjay: I apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Anjay: I am afraid, then issue can be resolve from your side. So please contact with your PC provider.
you: It is not an issue with my PC.
you: I am running 4x GTX 680 Classified 4GB, on an i7 3770k overclocked to 4.6ghz.
you: The game refuses to play over 60fps.
you: Other games like Battlefield 3 or Medal of Honor go over 60fps no problem. But need for speed most wanted does not.
Anjay: Please refer the blew link and check the minimum system requirement for the game.
Anjay: https://help.ea.com/uk/article/need-for-speed-most-wanted-system-requirements
you: I exceed all system requirements.
you: I am using a $7000 computer.
Anjay: Good.
you: But need for speed most wanted still does not go over 60fps. All other EA games I own go over 60fps without a problem.
you: Even Need For Speed World goes over 60fps.
you: There must be a problem with the game.
Anjay: Are you getting any error?
you: No.
you: It just goes to 60fps, and stays there.
you: In medal of honor, for example, I get between 140 to 200 fps.
Anjay: I understand your concern. I will do my best to help you.
Anjay: Please try these steps to increase FPS
Anjay: 1.Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
Anjay: 2.Opens the task manager
Anjay: 3.open the processes tab
Anjay: 4.Then find out the process called BF3 and process Origin
Anjay: 5.You should do that after launching the game
Anjay: 6.Right click on each one
Anjay: 7.Set Priority
Anjay: 8.Choose High
you: That didn't change anything.
Anjay: Are you able to set priority high?
you: Yes but it has no effect.
you: The game stops at 60fps.
you: It goes up to 60fps, and stop there. Doesn't go any higher.
Anjay: Have try to run the game under new admin account?
you: There is only 1 admin account. This computer is only 2 weeks old.
you: And I re-installed Windows just 2 days ago.
Anjay: Can you create new admin account and then try to play the game.
Anjay: How to create new admin account please follow below steps:
Anjay: Click on the Windows button and then select Control Panel.
Anjay: Double-click on the User Accounts icon.
Anjay: Click on Manage User Accounts.
Anjay: Click on Create New Account.
Anjay: Enter a name for the account and click Next.
Anjay: Click on Computer Administrator.
Anjay: Click on Create Account.
you: Can you explain to me how creating a new admin account on a brand new Windows installation is supposed to get higher FPS?
you: The reason I ask is because I don't understand how this would help. And if I do it, this chat window closes. And I had to wait 20 minutes to talk to anyone.
Anjay: I am afraid, this can be resolve after changing setting of your monitor. So please contact with technical person or PC provider.
you: If this were a technical issue with the monitor, why would there not be a problem in other Origin games?
Anjay: This issue can not resolve from my side till we will not make correct setting.
Anjay: May I have some some time to find the information that you are looking for.
you: Yes.
Anjay: Thank you.
Anjay: Than you for waiting.
Anjay: Can you provide me the dxdiag report of your computer.
you: Yes
Anjay: How to send Dxdiag report, please follow below link:
Anjay: https://help.ea.com/uk/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information
you: Yes I have it. How do I send it to you?
Anjay: How to attach file, please follow below link:
Anjay: https://help.ea.com/uk/article/how-to-attach-a-file-to-your-ea-help-ticket
you: Ok. I've added it.
Anjay: Please let me check it.
Anjay: I am afraid I did not receive attachment.
Anjay: Here are the steps you'll need to take to attache the file to this chat:
Anjay: Log in to the Customer Portal at help.ea.com (http://help.ea.com/)
Anjay: Locate the open case underneath "CONTACT US" in the "MY CASES" section. (Do not open the case from within "CONTACT US")
Anjay: Open the current case you wish to attach a file to
Anjay: Scroll down to "BROWSE FILE"
Anjay: Choose the file you wish to attach and select "Open"
Anjay: Click "Add Note" to attach this file successfully.
you: Yes. I've done that. On my screen I see a download link to dxdiag.
you: *link* (https://help.ea.com/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=00PE0000001bpMaMAI)
Anjay: Now, please copy and paste the Dxdiag information in the chat.
you: *DXDIAG Part 1*
you: It won't all fit.
Anjay: Thank you for providing required information.
Anjay: Also please provide me the second part of the Dxdiag.
you: *DXDIAG Part 2*
Anjay: Now please follow below steps:
Anjay: Click on start button of the computer.
Anjay: Click on computer icon.
Anjay: Right click on computer icon.
Anjay: Click on manage.
Anjay: Select Device manager
Anjay: Then click "network adopter" at right side of the page.
Anjay: Then double click "network adopter" at right side of the page.
Anjay: Please ignore last response.
Anjay: Then double click on "display Adopter".
Anjay: Right click on send video driver.
Anjay: *second
Anjay: and disable and unable it.
info: Your chat transcript will be sent to *******@gmail.com at the end of your chat session.
Anjay: Are you following this step
you: yes. one second
Anjay: Sure.
you: Ok. Should I enable SLI again? It got disabled after I disabled the video card.
Anjay: Yes do it.
you: Ok. Done.
Anjay: Now please try launching the game.
you: ok. one moment please.
Anjay: Okay/
you: It still stops at 60fps.
Anjay: I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing the same problem.
Anjay: Okay from my side I have done all the necessary troubleshooting but seems your issue requires further research. So, I am escalating the case to our higher level support team.
you: Ok. Will I receive an email later?
Anjay: Yes, they will contact you through email.
you: Ok thank you.
Anjay: Thank you for contacting EA. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

whitespider
10-30-2012, 04:29 AM
Lllmmmffffaaaaoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, that's gold. It really is.

speedyeggtart
10-30-2012, 04:58 AM
Regarding Tech/Customer Support:

Must big corporations contract with IBM Business solutions to have call centers in India and Phillipines handle their Chat and Telephone Support. They always follow a flow chart of scripts and there give generic answers even though they don't understand your syntax or terminology (I can tell from your chat log they are following a script). Only time you will get someone who knows what they are talking about is when they transfer you to their USA or European call centers.

Also about games being at 60Hz instead of 120Hz for 2560x1440, I'm starting to think the pixel clock limitation may have to do with an article I read on TomsHardware talking about a political energy official in Europe are requiring PCs to consume less wattage = Nvidia GPU limiting pixel clocks to prevent power usage or to meet Government energy laws = making games only at 60Hz for 2560x1440 resolutions... this is just speculation here - I'm trying to trace the dots and lines...

Matej-CRO
10-30-2012, 05:14 AM
Hello guys i have a problem with Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012 , the SLI is not working so only one card is working :( is anyone having this issue or im the only one? I also have 310.11 BETA drivers

myne specs are:

Alienware Laptop m17x:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9100, 12MB Cache, 2.26 GHz
RAM 8 GB
2x GTX 280M SLI 2 GB
SSD 80 GB
HDD 500 GB

winterhell
10-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Yes Matej-CRO , the SLI is currently broken for this game. We'll have to wait for a game patch or driver update.

Matej-CRO
10-30-2012, 05:46 AM
Yes Matej-CRO , the SLI is currently broken for this game. We'll have to wait for a game patch or driver update.

okay thanx, i just hope we won't have same problem with SLI in Black Ops II :(

whitespider
10-30-2012, 05:48 AM

There are plenty of games that take months, years even to get proper sli support. Some game's never do.

Random examples, Xcom ufo enemy unknown, I am alive, -- hell most indie games, even ones that use unreal engine 3.

Go to darksiders 2 profile with nvidia inspector. It has a sli profile right? Now set that game to use the anomaly warzone earth profile. Boom, 110% fps gains in SLI.

I was one of the first people to find the sleeping dogs flag as well. It's almost as if they are not making new flags anymore. But rather haphazardly re purposing old ones without actually checking them all.

Matej-CRO
10-30-2012, 05:52 AM
There are plenty of games that take months, years even to get proper sli support. Some game's never do.

Random examples, Xcom ufo enemy unknown, I am alive, -- hell most indie games, even ones that use unreal engine 3.

Go to darksiders 2 profile with nvidia inspector. It has a sli profile right? Now set that game to use the anomaly warzone earth profile. Boom, 110% fps gains in SLI.

I was one of the first people to find the sleeping dogs flag as well. It's almost as if they are not making new flags anymore. But rather haphazardly re purposing old ones without actually checking them all.

ehh do you know what's most funny? Some games are placed in SLI profile file document but SLI is not working, same with this new most wanted , i mean why they put SLI profiles in drivers like for Most Wanted if it won't work ? I just hope they will not screw with Black Ops II SLI on the beginning.

HyperMatrix
10-30-2012, 06:46 AM
ehh do you know what's most funny? Some games are placed in SLI profile file document but SLI is not working, same with this new most wanted , i mean why they put SLI profiles in drivers like for Most Wanted if it won't work ? I just hope they will not screw with Black Ops II SLI on the beginning.

MW3 worked with SLI. So I sure as hell hope Black Ops 2 will. Considering it's a pretty popular game and is finally getting some PC love with DX11 features, I'd say I'm pretty positive that it will work with SLI.

whitespider
10-30-2012, 07:32 AM
MW3 worked with SLI. So I sure as hell hope Black Ops 2 will. Considering it's a pretty popular game and is finally getting some PC love with DX11 features, I'd say I'm pretty positive that it will work with SLI.

So are need for speed games. And this one is direct x 11

Anyway, I have decided that need for speed most wanted is actually unplayable for me. While i might drive around for 10-20 minutes and not encounter the 40fps drop, it does happen. And not just in tunnels (play it longer if you think it's just tunnels).

It's not the drops to 40fps that is the problem, it's the fact that it stutters when it drops. So it feels like 12fps.

Seriously, broken.

fwixgamer
10-30-2012, 08:40 AM
yeah damn bad problem with a GTX 590 ore HD 7850 OC the same damn problem 40-30 fps tunnel ore in teh city , 60 fps at the beginning of the game dafaq is wrong with the criterion devps team o_0
any way the best drama in this is to cap the game to 30 fps to play it smooth because that damn fps drop 60 to 40 it's look really so bad !! and perhaps a n update soon , mohwf have no issue in fpsdrop ore cap , but criterion are really a bad ass in this !! i still don't undertand why the same bull shit from EA : no vsync - no aa - 30/60 fps cap - poor graphics option pffffffff nothing to do here

whitespider
10-30-2012, 09:58 AM
yeah damn bad problem with a GTX 590 ore HD 7850 OC the same damn problem 40-30 fps tunnel ore in teh city , 60 fps at the beginning of the game dafaq is wrong with the criterion devps team o_0
any way the best drama in this is to cap the game to 30 fps to play it smooth because that damn fps drop 60 to 40 it's look really so bad !! and perhaps a n update soon , mohwf have no issue in fpsdrop ore cap , but criterion are really a bad ass in this !! i still don't undertand why the same bull shit from EA : no vsync - no aa - 30/60 fps cap - poor graphics option pffffffff nothing to do here

I just played it for 4 hours. Turning off the headlight shadows seems to have fixed my tunnel slowdown. It's a good game. Just unoptimized to the shiznit.

fwixgamer
10-30-2012, 10:44 AM
happy for you then :) i tried everything even a costum resl 640/480 + extra low ... the game it's just a bad ass a really really hop EA up an update soon bcs i can't play the game like that , i really like it , so much fun but i think i m gonna wait to play th game nicely bcs that 40/60 fps it's mission impossible for me :d

HyperMatrix
10-30-2012, 05:48 PM
So are need for speed games. And this one is direct x 11

Anyway, I have decided that need for speed most wanted is actually unplayable for me. While i might drive around for 10-20 minutes and not encounter the 40fps drop, it does happen. And not just in tunnels (play it longer if you think it's just tunnels).

It's not the drops to 40fps that is the problem, it's the fact that it stutters when it drops. So it feels like 12fps.

Seriously, broken.

Ughh...checking Nvidia's site, it doesn't look like Black Ops 2 will have SLI support. -_-

http://www.geforce.com/games-applications

Sneaky
10-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Honestly, I don't think it will need it. Black Ops on my Cat with a single GTX580, I get over 120FPS anyway so if it is coded in a similar
fashion then newer cards will eat the game for breakfast.
Still is shitty though especially for those going for multi-monitor setups.

HyperMatrix
10-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Honestly, I don't think it will need it. Black Ops on my Cat with a single GTX580, I get over 120FPS anyway so if it is coded in a similar
fashion then newer cards will eat the game for breakfast.
Still is shitty though especially for those going for multi-monitor setups.

Well I know MW3 uses SLI. It was FPS capped but with SLI I was always maxed out at 92fps or whatever the cap was around that. With a single card it would sometimes fall a bit lower. If Black Ops 2 is going to be better graphically, as they claim it will be, then the second card would really come in handy. It seems like game developers are just aiming for 60fps performance now and if they hit it, they stop.

Sneaky
10-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Yeah but MW3 is an Infinity Ward game where Black Ops is by Treyarch so you can't really compare the way the games were coded,
they may be the same engine but were coded very differently. Black Ops with a config file edit, FPS aren't limited where MW3 is capped at 92 FPS.
Black Ops isn't as GPU intensive as MW3, you will get better frame rates, at least I have noticed it to be so.
I'm presuming here that BO2 will be similar to BO.

whitespider
10-31-2012, 12:36 AM
I think you two have figured out how nit-picky I am about things like this. So I'll inject some kind-of-fact-based snobbery if you don't mind.

- Firstly, I have seen games listed on that nvidia page before that did not have "sli" listed, then it was introduced at a later date. Torchlight 2 for example.

- Dx11 games ALWAYS take a lot longer to get sli profiles than dx9 games. Dx11 = months, dx9 = either already in drivers, or next revision.

- Dx11 games are rarely optimized these days. Specifically unreal 3 engine games that have dx11 hacked into the engine tend to suffer from performance issues. Batman arkham city is a good example. The few games that have had dx11 usually get less costly HDAO/SSAO and some less costly advanced lighting. However a lot of other implementations are harder for streaming based engine to load in. Tessellation when used on a variety of surfaces tends to cause stutter when streamed from UE3. Frostbyte 2 uses tessellation in a very selective bunch of geometry, like hieghtmap stuff. So that's why it directly translates to gpu use. That and it's written ground up.

- When you add in dx11 stuff, it's much harder to find a working SLI bits combination on this generation of drivers. Hence the delays on sleeping dogs and very little gain in saints row the third. And the likely delays on need for speed. Alternate frame rendering is not simply "get frame" "get next frame" anymore. One way to solve this would be for a complete driver re-write of dx implementation. However that would in turn break compatibility with older games. So they have to extend and extend. My suggestion to nvidia would be to write two separate driver kernals, one for dx11 and one for dx9 and below (which they partially have). My guess is that will tie more directly to the next console cycle when dx11 becomes the "stock standard".

- And finally, there is ALWAYS a use for SLI. Even if a game only uses 40% of each gpu (which i doubt in the case of the dx11 "injected" black ops 2) a lot of people who actually make use of their multi gpu's, use advanced forms of AA in their games. In my case, I use nvidia's sparse grid supersampling and a higher minus texture lod(and in some cases SSAO on top of that), which is a guaranteed 99% of two 680/670's right there. Does it look "that much better". Yes. Yes it does. ---- Also, if black ops 2 uses ssao and tessellation, as well as MSAA - guess what. That's not going to be 40% of each gpu. That's going to be 70%-99% of each gpu. If it uses some basic dx11 performance only tweaks, yet in every other way appears like a dx9 game. Then that's when things like SSAO/sparse grid come into play.

Nilsontay
11-03-2012, 03:10 AM
Guys! I have found the solution to our game stuttering issue and i cant wait to share it with you!

my computer system is a 3930k r4e with 2 6990 cfx and it was unplayable!

But when i tried it with my old computer ( which is now my brother) a 870 sabertooth 55i with 2 5850 it played perfectly

I have been trying out my system for many days and even reinstalling windows and even switching my cfx cable but no fix... always massive stuttering that i cannot even play...

It turns out that all we have to do is to turn off our speedstep in our bios!

it seemed like out cpu is stuck at 1.5ghz when speedstep is on causing all my games to stutter!!

i really hope this helps!

regards
Nilson

whitespider
11-03-2012, 04:26 AM
Guys! I have found the solution to our game stuttering issue and i cant wait to share it with you!

my computer system is a 3930k r4e with 2 6990 cfx and it was unplayable!

But when i tried it with my old computer ( which is now my brother) a 870 sabertooth 55i with 2 5850 it played perfectly

I have been trying out my system for many days and even reinstalling windows and even switching my cfx cable but no fix... always massive stuttering that i cannot even play...

It turns out that all we have to do is to turn off our speedstep in our bios!

it seemed like out cpu is stuck at 1.5ghz when speedstep is on causing all my games to stutter!!

i really hope this helps!

regards
Nilson

My speedstep was off already. Smooth enough at 60, the moment it drops below 60 it microstutters.

HyperMatrix
11-03-2012, 04:51 AM
My speedstep was off already. Smooth enough at 60, the moment it drops below 60 it microstutters.

If you're running SLI and don't want a single card to work too hard, you can switch the SLI profile to alternate frame rendering 2. It splits the work load between 2 cards evenly then.

nocturnal7x
11-03-2012, 06:32 PM

We don't have to and we shouldn't put up with it. If we all do our best to skip games not up to standard (our very reasonable PC gamer standards) devs will either learn or indies will fill the gaps.

Also Hyper, your experience with origin is not uncommon, their customer service is constantly trashed on the internet :P

HyperMatrix
11-29-2012, 11:08 AM
So....origin finally responded to a help ticket they made for me on October 30th. 1 month turnaround is impressive. This was the email I got. Seriously....they can get fucked. I'm tired of playing console ports.

Dear Customer,

We are contacting you to let you know that we're closing an EA Help Case, which is linked to this email address.

The case has been closed for one of the following reasons:

- The issue you reported has since been resolved in a more recent Help Case.

- The issue reported has been resolved by an update to the product.

If you feel that your case doesn't fall into the above criteria, and you're still experiencing the issue you reported, we would suggest that you visit the EA Help Center or Answer HQ for assistance.

If the Help Center and Answer HQ do not provide a solution for you, please feel free to contact us again via phone or chat (if applicable) at help.ea.com/contact-us.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

EA Customer Experience

whitespider
11-29-2012, 03:41 PM
That's why I 'trial' games. If a game has terrible performance, guess what. No purchase here. If there is demo, i'll go with that.
If there is no demo, and I have to 'faith purchase', then that's a big ask. And reviews simply don't cover true game performance.

It's the same thing for cars, what makes games any different.

Hell, if I was to write gaming reviews, that would be one of the first things I would cover. I would go into the performance, then cover the game itself. Instead of ign's copy paste review's that may or may not add a few token words at the end saying how the pc version looks nice.

Yeah, we get it. Games these days look nice. How does the game PLAY? And a big part of gameplay is actually performance. Believe it or not.

HyperMatrix
11-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Why don't we start using the site's blog feature to post performance reviews on games? You know...performance reviews for the high end gamer. That covers fps caps, poor optimization, sli support, dx9/dx11, etc etc....I'd love to get into it. It would give even more reason for me to record gameplay videos. =D Would be interesting as I have seen no website that caters to that crowd.

whitespider
11-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Why don't we start using the site's blog feature to post performance reviews on games? You know...performance reviews for the high end gamer. That covers fps caps, poor optimization, sli support, dx9/dx11, etc etc....I'd love to get into it. It would give even more reason for me to record gameplay videos. =D Would be interesting as I have seen no website that caters to that crowd.

Not a terrible idea.

Edit: I'd be interested in weaving in a normal review into the mix actually. I think the 'the game' and 'the performance' are not mutually exclusive.

HyperMatrix
11-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Not at all. And it doesn't have to be for the super-ridiculous computer. I can do tests showing performance difference with 1 card, 2 cards, 3 cards, and 4 cards. That way it'll clearly showcase the benefits or lack of optimization with regards to SLI, and also indicate at which point a CPU cap becomes an issue. I wish I hadn't found a buyer for my old system. Otherwise a 2600k 4.8ghz with radeon 7970 would have been a good AMD card test bench as well. Realistically a 7970 should be able to max out any 1920x1080 game at 60fps.

whitespider
11-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Eventually once we get comfortable with it. We could ever interchange stuff in the review depending on 'what we are good at/feel like doing'. For example, you could do the physical benchmarks and statistics on a game. I could cover either the frame perception, or just the actual game review itself. And someone else could do whatever they want to do.

No strict rules, and 'you must do this/that's', it would just make the whole thing that little bit more helpful.