PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 users: classic shell

OskyATL
11-28-2012, 11:49 AM
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

was curious if anyone used this? I've gotten a copy of win 8 for my next build but I'm really not diggin the metro style so I've been curious about this?

also, maybe someone will find it useful.

p.s. I know I'm creating thread after thread...but...I've been bored, okay..

Shadman
11-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Keep making threads! We have been replying to the same ones for awhile now.

Also, I've used it, and, well. Its ok. It makes the start menu fold out windows XP style, so it takes up a bunch of your screen, instead of Vista and 7 where you can scroll inside the start manu. Maybe you can change it, but I had a hard time customizing it exactly how 7 has it. Thats all I wanted. Its worth giving it a shot though, since uninstalling and going back to default metro is seamless and doesn't mess up anything.

HyperMatrix
11-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Start8 has been a 100% perfect clone of the original start menu in Win7 and can disable all hotzones/etc. And it's just $4.99.

Sneaky
11-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Although that sounds great Hyper (and it is indeed cheap), I hate the idea we have to spend money on a third party app just to get the functionality we want.
I'm hoping they will implement this in sp1. I'm holding out for the meantime, W7 is fine for me atm.

HyperMatrix
11-29-2012, 12:51 AM
W8 is so much faster and better for me that I've loaded it on to every comp and laptop I have. All with start8 installed. It's unfortunate that you have to install a modification to make it work but once installed, it is really amazing. It's an exact replica of the original start button/menu with all original functionality present.

Sneaky
11-29-2012, 01:35 AM
W8 is so much faster and better for me that I've loaded it on to every comp and laptop I have. All with start8 installed. It's unfortunate that you have to install a modification to make it work but once installed, it is really amazing. It's an exact replica of the original start button/menu with all original functionality present.
Did you use W8 upgrade? Did you do a fresh install of W7 then upgrade to W8 or did you just upgrade from your current W7 install?
Just interested as I am tossing up between a FULL OEM version of W8 or just the upgrade.
I heard somewhere that someone had installed the W8 upgrade from scratch (no W7 install first) which would not activate but then ran the install again over the first W8
install and it was then able to Activate as it saw the first (Unactivated) install of W8 as a previous version.
If this works, that's great, I really don't like the idea of Upgrades. My last from XP to Vista was riddled with performance issues.

HyperMatrix
11-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Well my upgrade from win7 has my boot times a lot slower than my fresh install on a 3610qm i7 laptop. Mine takes probably 3-4x longer to pass the load screen. So I'm planning to do a full brand new fresh install from scratch soon as my second ssd arrives in a day or so. My laptop has a full bios + windows load time of under 10 seconds. I should be able to beat that easily when I reinstall.

I've also heard you can install win8, then reinstall as an upgrade and activate. But considering the performance difference I'm seeing, I'm going to do a fresh install and use the pirate windows 8 activator, even though I do own the actual license to a copy of win8.

Sneaky
11-29-2012, 03:48 AM
Cool .... thanks ;)