PDA

View Full Version : SPARTANS?!?!? whats your profession?

OskyATL
11-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I saw sandman mention where he works and what he does so I'd figure I'd start a "profession" thread.

whether or not you want to brag, complain, be in shame, or just vent about what you do, this is the place to do it.

Right now, I'm actually at work(suppose to be working on payroll). I'm simply a manager for one of my fathers restaurants. I hire, fire, listen to complaints(from employees and customers), kick hobo's off the property, kick noisy drunks out of the bar, make people feel welcome and try to ensure some level of quality control. I also do scheduling and payroll and get payed a modest amount because I'm family.

I don't really have much to complain about except the fact that the economy sucks donkey balls and I'm usually sending people home because there's no point in paying someone for time's we're so down that I can easily do their job.

So spartans? whats your profession?

oh ya. HUAHHHH!

Shadman
11-29-2012, 09:39 PM
You say Spartans, but my job is far from ;D

Service Technician at Fry's Electronics. Mainly supposed to fix computers, but for some reason we also have to do all of the following as well:
-Recieve calls about people with warranties on their fridges/TVs/Washers/Dryers that are broken and....
-Send other special servicing companies to people's houses to fix said fridges/TVs/Washers/Dryers under warranty
-Help people out that don't have a teenage son to tell them how to basically operate a computer/Windows 8
-Go out to peoples houses to set up their wireless network
-Help the other departments out when they don't know their product and we give the customer technical advice (basic stuff usually)
-Schedule deliveries for every single item in the store (again, fridges/TVs/Washers/Dryers)

And then, if I get time, work on computers! Us techs have to manage the counter, so every 20 minutes (depends ALOT) our work is interrupted and we have to talk to people about some crap.

I could talk all day about it. At least it keeps me busy.

whitespider
11-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Freelance film maker, video editor. Sometimes I compose music for a few companies as well (Not as an actual music composer, more using their licenced library to make music, or in some cases telling people want I want musically and then piecing together what they came up with). Want to ultimately become a 'known' film maker, however it's harder to be an artist in this industry. And the kind of things I want to make are NOT mainstream.

In the end - mostly editing together video's. That's where I get the recommendations and the majority of the work. The only times I actually shine, are when I am asked to 'come up with something'. When I have to follow something they specifically want, it's solid enough. Just not coming from any 'place'.

Crackatoah
11-30-2012, 04:51 AM
Electrician in the winter; Domestic electrician, doing the electrics in houses and flats ect. Occasionally industrial such as external buildings and offices/factories. Took 5 years to get fully qualified but was well worth it.

Gardener in the summer; Have contracts with about 10 different office sites, cutting the grass shaping the hedges and looking after the sites etc, I like manual work and being outside all day is just so good lol.

Hobbies;
Gym, don't do body building or wear tight shirts and vests like some fools who dont have a clue what they are doing haha, but more powerlifting, just love training, used to do boxing and rugby when younger but got I injured so this is a good replacement.
70% of powerlifting is diet, so this plaques a big role.

Music producing, recently started this, I use reason 5 and have a home studio, make slow dark drum and bass/ dub step (not all this tech/electro step crap that's about now, but more old school sounding, deep and dark)

BlackOctagon
11-30-2012, 05:00 AM
Regulatory consultant with a focus on EU product safety and chemicals legislation

Sneaky
11-30-2012, 06:03 AM
I run my own Business, Automotive Paint Protection film.
I am the longest standing distributor/installer of XPEL products in Australia.
www.xpel.com (http://www.xpel.com)

Prior to this I managed a large Signage Company.

I initially got into signage as a Pantograph Operator (manual engraving machine) see below:
I progressed from there into Computer Engraving, CNC Routers, Laser Profiling/Engraving, Large Format Digital Printing and running Vinyl Plotters.

Nothing like being your own Boss though :)

Cpt.Teacup
11-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Music producing, recently started this, I use reason 5 and have a home studio, make slow dark drum and bass/ dub step (not all this tech/electro step crap that's about now, but more old school sounding, deep and dark)

Care to share?

I don't work. Right now I'm supposed to be a student but I don't go to school anymore, I'm getting my GED soon. ;)

jaredmergel
11-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Aviation Ordnanceman in the Navy.

I load, download and maintain ordnance and it's systems.

Crackatoah
12-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Care to share?

I don't work. Right now I'm supposed to be a student but I don't go to school anymore, I'm getting my GED soon. ;)

I will soon mate :) currently have 3 tracks that I need to finish and polish off. 2 are slow and dark (one of them is an alien vs predator themed with my own sound effects) and one is 'rolling' old school style drum n bass.

The hard thing is finishing them off lol.

I suppose I could give you a sneak preview of one, I need feedback from other people than my few friends who are really into music.

Sneaky
12-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Aviation Ordnanceman in the Navy.

I load, download and maintain ordnance and it's systems.
I'll remember to be super nice to you lol :p

R0berk
12-06-2012, 05:22 AM
I'm a server at a high end restaurant. People pay a lot of money to eat our food and to get fantastic service and atmosphere, and to spend time with their family and friends at the same time. It may not necessarily be my dream career, but it has its perks. I get to enjoy conversation with many different types of people, and sometimes even learn something interesting. Best of all, it's good money for pretty easy work. Sure I spend nearly every Friday through Sunday from 4 pm to midnight...But I get basically Monday through Thursday off. I think the saddest part of my job is that I make more money than most of the people I know that have full on degrees. I chat with and bring food to rich people, and they give me too much money for doing it. And there are people doing a lot of real hard work requiring tons of hours of schooling and keeping up with technical information making less money than I do.

I suppose my job requires some skills that not everyone is good at. Dealing with difficult and sometimes awkward situations is my specialty. Also being able to constantly have a welcoming, clean, fresh appearance and being able to deal with nearly any type of person. Not to mention proper knowledge on the food's preparation, presentation,.allergy information, proper etiquette, etc.

Overall, it's a fun job. I get to talk to and meet a lot of different people, including those from other countries. Best of all, I earn enough money to pay for me and my wife to live happily and to fund our horrible gaming addictions!

Shadman
12-07-2012, 12:50 AM
When I was a salesman I kept myself real neat looking. Then, in service where everyone is mad anyway, I really don't care that I look 100% maybe 80%

OskyATL
12-11-2012, 01:34 PM
I suppose my job requires some skills that not everyone is good at. Dealing with difficult and sometimes awkward situations is my specialty. Also being able to constantly have a welcoming, clean, fresh appearance and being able to deal with nearly any type of person. Not to mention proper knowledge on the food's preparation, presentation,.allergy information, proper etiquette, etc.

I dealt with an old drunk homeless on a crutch and missing teeth. I had to direct him off the property. After I intervened and denied him the opportunity to pan handle to our customers he attempted to yell at me(im guessing in english), but it only sounded like incoherent babble. Eventually after many attempts to direct him off the property and dodging a bit of his swordplay with a crutch, I called the police. Once I called the police, he said the only word that was discernible to the human ear...he called me a whore.

dontknow
12-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Server Administrator

BlackOctagon
12-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Server Administrator

Can you use DOS?

Crackatoah
12-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Care to share?

Heres a little snippet of something im working on atm,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XktiButOcJA&feature=youtu.be

its a bit rough, it has no intro and it only like 50 seconds long and need a bit of polishing, but ill leave that till ive finished it completely, I have a few other snippets I might upload, I have some very different sounding music, this is more up beat, my other stuff is really dark.

bearing in mind its only been 3 weeks since I first tried out any music software (and work all day so dont have much time) have learnt everything for myself, instead of trying to learn off others, I find playing with things when you have no idea what your doing is the best way to learn for yourself, even though very confusing, if that makes sense lol.

I make my own samples and none of the sounds I use are 'stock' sounds.

Let me know what you think.

edit; added another one, its Alien/predator themed (but hasnt got any predator yet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwUf278Timc
spent a while on the intro and am really happy with it, used all my own sound effects to make the alien and eery sounds, the last half with the drums is messy need to sort it out but is just a general idea of what the song will be like.

colin87
12-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Software QA manager,main focus on Test Automation

Posting fr phone,will update my profile soon,new catleap on its way!