PDA

View Full Version : Anyone selling a 680?

BizzyBum
12-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Or know a place where it's on sale or discounted?

TheZone
12-11-2012, 04:16 PM
If i was you i be looking into 2 Evga GTX 670 cards and save some money you can OC the cards better what i been told better then the 680 Hyper should know he has 4 680 i think.

BlackOctagon
12-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Yeah listen to Zoney. He's so overclocked that he doesn't even need to punctuate his posts anymore :)

Seriously though, sorry to not answer your question but I also say that a 680 gives only marginally better performance than a 670, but at a much higher price tag

HyperMatrix
12-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Cost/performance is on the 670's side. I remember redflagdeals had a link to one a few days ago that was on sale for $289. I'd grab 2 of those. Or if you want to go balls to the wall, grab 3 of them. Somewhere between 2 and 3 cards is where you start hitting a CPU bottleneck. I love playing with 4 gtx 680's and having all my cards run at around 30-60% for almost all games out there. Such a waste of Processing power.

BizzyBum
12-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Unfortunately I don't see them at that price anymore.

At 1440p trying to play games at max with mods for stuff like Skyrim you think it would be beneficial to go for a 4GB VRAM card over a 2GB?

Sneaky
12-11-2012, 11:07 PM

At 1440p trying to play games at max with mods for stuff like Skyrim you think it would be beneficial to go for a 4GB VRAM card over a 2GB?
Yes, if not for just now, future proofing is always wise. ;)
Although if you are going a single card route you will hit a GPU bottle neck so may not get the
best use out of a 4GB card, for multi card config though ... definitely.
I went 4 gb with a single card for now as I will be upgrading to SLI in the future.

whitespider
12-12-2012, 12:11 AM

For skyrim - Yes. For everything else - No. As a heavy modder of skyrim, I have to say that there is no game that chews through vram like skyrim. The thing is, 4gb will make you stutter a lot less if you keep everything optimized (by using a texture optimizer). However if you just throw in textures and it uses 3.8gb of texture memory, you will get a lot of stuttering even on a 4gb card. Because not all texture packs are scaled correctly, many use poor fomats, etc. A thread is used to unpack textures in skyrim, and if the hardrive and the thread both reach their limitations - no amount of video card memory will help that.

Regardless, if skyrim is a game you seriously love (like me), then 4gb for that game alone - will make enough of a difference to give you a little more breathing room in texture packs. Just never, ever, use ENB. It destoyes any optimization you might have gained from getting a 4gb card. RCRN respects the visuals of skyrim - use that. And sparse grid supersampling enhancing the 2-4x of the game's AA combined with fxaa. That completely and utterly eliminates shimmer and aliasing - and looks far better than things like TXAA.

If I had 4gb gtx 670's instead of 2gb cards, I would keep the texture packs at about 1.8gb of vram, and then invest the rest of the vram into some serious supersampling. Because that uses video ram in a way that benefits the game a lot more than the difference between 2048 and 4096.

RCRN + Sparse grid supersampling + fxaa + The absolute best texture packs that actually improve things that need to be improved + optimized using texture optimizer = That's a game changer. And depending on the level of supersampling, will use up 2-4gb of video memory and 90-100% of 2-3 gtx 670's.

BizzyBum
12-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Maybe I'll just wait until the 780. :D

TheZone
12-12-2012, 03:08 PM
new cards should be out in 4 months thats when ill upgrade

Crackatoah
12-13-2012, 12:28 PM
You do have other, cheaper, faster options available.

whitespider
12-13-2012, 02:30 PM
You do have other, cheaper, faster options available.

Amd has a good deal going with the games they package in on the already cheaper 79xx cards, however I would never go with amd because of microstutter issues that crop up when you add another gpu, and all the games in the world could not make up for that.

It's gotten better since the 6xxx series, which in turn got better since the 4xxx and 5xxx series - however it's still a widespread problem.

And when people say they can't see it, I really have to ask why they even have a higher hz monitor in the first place. Since the entire REASON why you get one - is, in fact - because of the higher frame perception it offers.

Naturally, if you have "single gpu for life" tattooed on your arm, hell - get a 7970 over a 680. Absolutely. Amd just completely sucks at alternately rendering their frames.

Sneaky
12-13-2012, 10:35 PM
^Thats why I went Nvidia ..... I even notice with a single card it has been smoother than AMD but
as mentioned not everyone notices it and for those people ... yes a 120hz monitor choice sort of defeats the purpose.