PDA

View Full Version : My motherboard just died.

whitespider
12-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Hey, my z77 asrock extreme 4 just died. No idea why. Typing on my girlfriends laptop.

God i hate laptops.

I tried to boot my computer tonight, and there was no power. So I put a safty pin into my psu green and black wires and it booted fine. So then i swapped in my old i52500k, and it still did not power on.

Which puts it in the '79% chance that it's the motherboard" bracket. No other testing i can do unfortunately. So today I am going to head on over to the computer shop and get a new motherboard.

Since that was a 100 dollar board, I am wondering if I should get something better. Since my last several motherboards all died. And they where all cheap. In bios 3.0 x 3.0 enabled all the games on my asrock extreme 4 stuttered like crazy. And gpu usage was 70% on one, and 99% on the other. After about 10 minutes they all froze, the sound become scrambled and the pc reset.

This only happened with SLI enabled, and both cards set to 3.0. When I set the top card to 3.0, and the lower to 1.1. It was smooth. However it was also far from ideal. I googled the problem, and I was not the only person with that board who had that problem. It seems to be something to do with lower end asrock boards.

What do you think I should get? It needs to be a 1155 board (for the cpu).

Things I want.

- Trisli 8x8x8 (for future proofing)
- Super sturty and good build quality.
- Overclock catering.
(Tri sli is not a requirement, if you know of a good normal-sli board, that's fine as well)

Any suggestions?

Sneaky
12-16-2012, 01:01 PM
If you have the money, you can't go past the ASUS Maximus V Extreme and knowing how much you
play games ..... you will get the use out of it, if money is an issue then maybe the ASUS Maximus V Formula
being more than $100 cheaper may do?
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_711_1183&products_id=20927

BlackOctagon
12-16-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm guessing the ASRock warranty is no longer valid, for a replacement?

HyperMatrix
12-16-2012, 04:13 PM
I have a bad experience with lower priced mobo's. My previous one I bought for $180. And it shared one of the pcie slots bandwidth with usb3 and sata3. So...when I put in my revodrive x2, I had no sata 3 or usb3. Which is utterly stupid. I find that the features you get are actually a welcome addition. 6 sata 3 ports, built in wifi. But there are a lot of stupid features I don't really need as well in an overkill board like the Maximus v extreme. Don't need all the OC tuner key and external plug this and that. I don't need Bluetooth. I don't really know if I'll ever need the Thunderbolt port but it may be good for future proofing. Then all the extra crap like a cold sensor for those overclocking with liquid nitrogen and etc...

I'd recommend boards in the $250 range as being probably the most practical. Sure you could buy a $400 board. But you honestly don't need to. It didn't help me take my damn 3770k over 4.6ghz because unless you're looking at extreme overclocking, your limitation is mostly with your CPU itself.

BlackOctagon
12-16-2012, 11:13 PM
180 bucks is a lower priced board?

whitespider
12-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Well. I ended up taking home the RMA return motherboard. Which is a asrock extreme 3 gen 3. Odd thing is that the pcie stutter gone, and games perform a lot smoother overall on this 'older' motherboard. That extra pcie3 bandwidth across both cards does not give me dramatically better framerates, however it does improve frameshift microstutter by 10-20%.

I also upgraded my cpu from a 3570 non k to k. Yeah, I know. I only chose that non-k cpu because my entire system died previously and that was the only cpu they had in stock that I could replace while I wait for the RMA to return.

So on my non-k, I was overclocked to about 4ghz. Now 4.8. I could go higher, however I will not. Don't want to return any more parts.

On my noctua d14 (and some arctic silver obviously), I get about 80 degrees while running a video render. And that's fine. One thing I have noticed about these ivy bridge chips is that A:, they do actually give you better performance per clock, B: they seem to be sturdy motherfuckers, and C: proper pcie 3 seems to smooth out SLI performance to a small degree.

For now, I will hold onto this motherboard while I decide if I want to go trisli. At least I have a functional computer that's not running at pcie 1.1 and a extremely low overclock anymore.

And to elaborate what i meant by "they seem to be sturdy motherfuckers" -- -- - - - - They seem to actually handle what you throw at them without a huge amount of crashing and damage. And they let you know when you go over certain clocks in some rather obvious behavior. Which means it's way easier to find a safe overclock. And for that overclock to -hopefully- last years.

Oh yeah, in case anyone was wondering. Turning off high precision event timer in windows and the bios does actually improve sli frame perception as well. Far more than pcie3 does. Combine the two with a high cpu overclock = really nice.

Crackatoah
12-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Why didn't you get an i7?

whitespider
12-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Why didn't you get an i7?

Because hyperthreading holds far too much power for the likes of me. /sarcasim

i7 does have better lane bandwidth, but hyperthreading only really shines in apps not games. And I have a renderbox at work for that kind of thing.

Crackatoah
12-18-2012, 04:22 AM
You would be surprised, hyper threading actually stops a bottleneck in games like BF3 with SLI/CF. And will only help more in the future games. If I was buying last year I would get an i5, but now for sure would get an i7.

whitespider
12-18-2012, 04:52 AM
You would be surprised, hyper threading actually stops a bottleneck in games like BF3 with SLI/CF. And will only help more in the future games. If I was buying last year I would get an i5, but now for sure would get an i7.

Next build I might consider it. If there are games that take further advantage of it.

The cache is nice, and you will see a handful more fps in some games. Which is always nice to have. Is it worth the higher cost of the motherboard? Possibly. One day.

In the position i'm in now, it would cost 2 more gtx 670's to upgrade to the parts I want for an i7 build. And in terms of performance = performance, there is no vague comparison.

It's not like I'm playing a game that gives me 45-70fps on the i5 @ 5ghz, and then I get a constant 130fps because I went i7. It's more 1-5fps most of the time, with a few 10-15fps games in the future.

Two extra 670's however, would allow me to throw insane levels of supersampling on everything and die of slow joy. Slow joy is underrated.

BlackOctagon
12-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 eh? That's my board. Absolutely love it for the price. Only 2 real criticisms:
1) No USB3 header for the front panel of the case, and
2) Space between gpu slots could be bigger...not sure if I'll fit a second 7970 in mine and maintain acceptable temps

Oh yeah and I needed a bios update to make the mouse work in bios.

whitespider
12-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 eh? That's my board. Absolutely love it for the price. Only 2 real criticisms:
1) No USB3 header for the front panel of the case, and
2) Space between gpu slots could be bigger...not sure if I'll fit a second 7970 in mine and maintain acceptable temps

Oh yeah and I needed a bios update to make the mouse work in bios.

Some weird stuff happened when i woke up this morning. Perhaps a virus? My windows loaded without any fonts, and no menu's. So everything you clicked was a blank option you could not select. Even ctrl_alt_del leaded to nothing but a black page. I really doubt it's because I installed a new motherboard. As i did uninstall the previous drivers.

Annoying timing I guess. So i searched the entire house for a usb stick capable of holding a windows 7 install, made it all bootable, and now I am downloading the drivers for the motherboard and slowly transferring windows onto the usb.

Hopefully the virus, or something - did not mess with my memory or bootmgr settings. (although I already did write a new boot sector just to be sure).

If all goes well, I am faced with the annoying task of finding the games/apps that no longer work, and downloading them again, registering them again (if they require that). All for some measly registry entries. I don't much like restoring old registry backups (why do I make them then...) because it's never really worked out well.

Why does bad pc karma always come in pairs?

Update: pairs my ass. My entire 2tb primary data driver = deleted.

HyperMatrix
12-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Might I recommend a Windows 8 boot USB? Unlike windows 7, it will load any required drivers and adapt to any computer you plug it into, even if going form an AMD to an Intel platform. That's one of the really neat things with Windows 8. It was designed so you could easily carry it around as a portable computer. So you can load your entire OS and programs/settings/etc...pop it in to any PC out and about, and load in to your own computer basically anywhere.