PDA

View Full Version : My pc died. Sadness. Pain. Help me find a mouse and keyboard. Or just a mouse.

whitespider
12-25-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm not going to tell you my pc death story. It's on request via chat.

Right now I am no longer using my steelseries kana mouse because it was another casualty of some invisible war (No, this has nothing to do with the worst deus ex game). My keyboard is working fine.

I am using a cheapo wireless mouse, from 3-4 meters, and it makes gaming nearly impossible. Due to it partially cutting out and making every game known to man seem like a stutterfest.

This 360 controller is fine for skyrim and a melee character, but If i ever want to be a feral archer again (my favorite build) then i'm going to have to get a mouse again. And I want the thing to be sturdy as mother of thirteen's cup of espresso coffee.

Yes, that sturdy. Yes.

My kana had a braided cable, it however, did not pass the test of ultimate power and strength. It lost the battle, and it died a peasants death.

What I am looking for in a mouse is power and might, I want that cable to withstand battles, and I want whatever kind of duel sensor trickery it can provide me. Dpi is fine around the 3000-5000 range. What's more important is accuracy, and tracking. I need those to be as silky and golden as a sunset made of Eskimo tears.

Suggestions are welcome. Don't spam the thing you own, unless the thing you own is worth spamming about.

Be well, children.

Crackatoah
12-25-2012, 08:55 PM
I use the Steelseries Sensie

This one to be precise http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/28417721/690640681/SteelSeries-Sensei-Fnatic-PC-Pro-Grade-Laser-Gaming-Mouse/ListingDetails.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:284177 21%7Cprd:28417721

Although they are all the same I think, just look different.

Had it for 1 1/2 years and its as good as new, really really solid and great quality.

I use it with the steelseries 4HD mouse mat and the sensor combined with this mat is golden....

You can change the DPI anything from 0 to 12000 in increments of 1, atm I have mine at about 1946, so you can choose exactly what suits you instead of a random round number, you can also have 2 presets and can change on the fly using the button.

There are a load of other settings too, like the 'lift' distance, things like that.

You can change all this on the actual mouse, it has a lcd screen on the bottom of it and you just use the mouse buttons to change what you need, you dont need to use the software on the PC, I didnt even bother downloading the software, the mouse has its own processor so it doesn't need to use your PC's.

Cant really tell you about any other mouse apart from dont get the RAT, my little brother has the RAT and compared to my sensie the build quality is cheap and the sensor is poor.

I have big hands and like the claw grip, for this the sensie is ideal, but if you have big hands and like palm grip then its a no go. Small hands and palm grip is good, and claw grip either way is good.

I know its expensive, but the cheaper mice generally have poor/average build quality and wear over time. IMO to save yourself money in the long run spend allot of money on a mouse now, and not only get great build quality that doesn't wear, but also a higher quality laser sensor that you will no doubt notice.

HyperMatrix
12-25-2012, 10:31 PM
I was a big fan of microsoft's blue track sidewinder x8 mouse. After that I got the rat9 and it is by far the best mouse I've ever had. I love it. So much. I have big hands.

whitespider
12-25-2012, 10:56 PM
I use the Steelseries Sensie

This one to be precise http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/28417721/690640681/SteelSeries-Sensei-Fnatic-PC-Pro-Grade-Laser-Gaming-Mouse/ListingDetails.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:284177 21%7Cprd:28417721

Although they are all the same I think, just look different.

Had it for 1 1/2 years and its as good as new, really really solid and great quality.

I use it with the steelseries 4HD mouse mat and the sensor combined with this mat is golden....

You can change the DPI anything from 0 to 12000 in increments of 1, atm I have mine at about 1946, so you can choose exactly what suits you instead of a random round number, you can also have 2 presets and can change on the fly using the button.

There are a load of other settings too, like the 'lift' distance, things like that.

You can change all this on the actual mouse, it has a lcd screen on the bottom of it and you just use the mouse buttons to change what you need, you dont need to use the software on the PC, I didnt even bother downloading the software, the mouse has its own processor so it doesn't need to use your PC's.

Cant really tell you about any other mouse apart from dont get the RAT, my little brother has the RAT and compared to my sensie the build quality is cheap and the sensor is poor.

I have big hands and like the claw grip, for this the sensie is ideal, but if you have big hands and like palm grip then its a no go. Small hands and palm grip is good, and claw grip either way is good.

I know its expensive, but the cheaper mice generally have poor/average build quality and wear over time. IMO to save yourself money in the long run spend allot of money on a mouse now, and not only get great build quality that doesn't wear, but also a higher quality laser sensor that you will no doubt notice.

Well, the mouse that died a shamefull death was actually a steelseries mouse. One or two lower. And that did not endure my wrath for much longer than 12 months. Perhaps I was just unlucky. No... I'm pretty damn certain I was just unlucky.

I am thinking

Razer DeathAdder Gaming Mouse V2 (Tons of positive feedback from plebs, duel sensor at an human price)

SteelSeries Sensei (Pro: Quality, simple) (Con: The same brand that just died on me)

The rat seems to have a variation in viewpoints, some people say it's great and it's lasted them two years. Others say that it died and it's not that sturdy. I sometimes take my mouse and keyboard onto the bed or couch. So naturally there is some pulling on cables that sometimes accidentally happens.

That's why I need something as sturdy as a dishwasher made of lead. And varying viewpoints is not consensus enough for my liking. Hence my exclusion of the extremely fancy looking rat.

I also have giant mits. However I am a giant, so I guess I kind of need huge hands in order to be proportional.

Sneaky
12-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Once again, I disagree with Cracka, surprise surprise. I have a R.A.T.5 and it has been great.
Provided you tighten all the screws properly it's build quality is great, very accurate sensor too.
I presume the same would go for the rest of the Mad Catz/Saitek R.A.T line up.

If you are moving it around alot, I suggest giving the R.A.T.9 a go like Hyper but
I am speaking from my own personal experience with the R.A.T.5.

Also, have a look at Roccat's series of mice, I have heard they are pretty good.

;)

winterhell
12-26-2012, 03:39 AM
Anyone tried the Razer Ouroboros and how does it compare to the other high-(gamer)end mice?
I like the promise of tweakable shape.

TheZone
12-26-2012, 07:06 PM
you can take a look at this one it's a old post
http://www.gnd-tech.com/content/919-Coo

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=10019&product_name=CM Storm QuickFire TK

Crackatoah
12-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Well, the mouse that died a shamefull death was actually a steelseries mouse. One or two lower. And that did not endure my wrath for much longer than 12 months. Perhaps I was just unlucky. No... I'm pretty damn certain I was just unlucky.

This is kinda why I said "I know its expensive, but the cheaper mice generally have poor/average build quality and wear over time. IMO to save yourself money in the long run spend allot of money on a mouse now, and not only get great build quality that doesn't wear, but also a higher quality laser sensor that you will no doubt notice."

I actually owned a Steelseries Kinzu V2 before this, and although the design looks the same, it was made out of completely different cheap components and was very light and flimsy compared, as well as having a completely different sensor. The sensie is extremely solid and weighty, very high quality, I have also run over the cable countless times on my chair and its still fine lol, shame the same cant be said for my headphones :(

I really dont get on with the RAT..... (its a RAT 5) feels really cheap and low quality, maybe its because Iv'e been spoilt by this lol?

whitespider
12-27-2012, 01:12 AM
This is kinda why I said "I know its expensive, but the cheaper mice generally have poor/average build quality and wear over time. IMO to save yourself money in the long run spend allot of money on a mouse now, and not only get great build quality that doesn't wear, but also a higher quality laser sensor that you will no doubt notice."

I actually owned a Steelseries Kinzu V2 before this, and although the design looks the same, it was made out of completely different cheap components and was very light and flimsy compared, as well as having a completely different sensor. The sensie is extremely solid and weighty, very high quality, I have also run over the cable countless times on my chair and its still fine lol, shame the same cant be said for my headphones :(

I really dont get on with the RAT..... (its a RAT 5) feels really cheap and low quality, maybe its because Iv'e been spoilt by this lol?
The Steelseries Sensie was sold out everywhere in most of australia. So I got a Roccat Gaming Mouse Kone XTD, I checked out about 25 reviews of the mouse, and well as amazon/etc impressions. And it seems like it leans more closely towards the higher end mice.

I'll get the Steelseries Sensie (or it's successor) when I am not replacing most of a computer. After doing some research into the Sensie - I really really like the sound of it.

One thing I was wondering about it, is if that processor onboard takes all the cpu processing out of the equasion, and if the onboard processor of the roccat does much the same thing.

I also replaced my case from 1999 (I don't know the name, it's a horrible looky rusty shell) with NZXT CSNZP410W PHANTOM 410 WHITE MID TOWER <--- yeah, I totally just copied that from the order page of where I got it from.

I'm not going to go quad sli when cpu's are limited in the way they are. So this case makes more sense. Plus it seems to come out ahead in the airflow department, which may add life to my computer in general.

HyperMatrix
12-27-2012, 01:35 AM
Hold a RAT9 in your hand and tell it me feels cheap or poorly built. :P Do it. I dare you. It looks similar to the rat5 but I'm guessing the rat5 might be more cheaply made. Rat9 feels incredibly solid and sturdy in my hand. It might depend on your preference too. I'm a lifter. I don't move my arm. I rest my wrist on the pad, and lift/set down for movement. And this mouse works great for that. And my performance in fps games reflect how we'll this mouse works.

Sneaky
12-27-2012, 02:36 AM
All the R.A.T mice are built on the same chassis, I'm guessing the R.A.T.9 has a slightly different chassis as it has to hold the battery
but it is built on the same principal using modular parts. The parts themselves are very strong, where build quality comes in is the
assembly of said parts. If all the screws are not tightened properly then yes you can question build quality but if you take the time when you
get your mouse to go over it and tighten them all then the R.A.T series mice are as strong as it gets.
I'm guessing Cracka is just a lazy bugger and let all the screws stay loose. Maybe if he used his hands as much as his mouth and
tightened them, his R.A.T.5 might have lasted longer. lol

Crackatoah
12-27-2012, 02:54 AM
The Steelseries Sensie was sold out everywhere in most of australia. So I got a Roccat Gaming Mouse Kone XTD, I checked out about 25 reviews of the mouse, and well as amazon/etc impressions. And it seems like it leans more closely towards the higher end mice.

I'll get the Steelseries Sensie (or it's successor) when I am not replacing most of a computer. After doing some research into the Sensie - I really really like the sound of it.

One thing I was wondering about it, is if that processor onboard takes all the cpu processing out of the equasion, and if the onboard processor of the roccat does much the same thing.

I also replaced my case from 1999 (I don't know the name, it's a horrible looky rusty shell) with NZXT CSNZP410W PHANTOM 410 WHITE MID TOWER <--- yeah, I totally just copied that from the order page of where I got it from.

I'm not going to go quad sli when cpu's are limited in the way they are. So this case makes more sense. Plus it seems to come out ahead in the airflow department, which may add life to my computer in general.

Looks like a decent mouse mate :) I would guess the processor in the roccat will do the same thing, and allow you to just plug and play with the mouse and not have to use software to get it to work.

Hold a RAT9 in your hand and tell it me feels cheap or poorly built. :P Do it. I dare you. It looks similar to the rat5 but I'm guessing the rat5 might be more cheaply made. Rat9 feels incredibly solid and sturdy in my hand. It might depend on your preference too. I'm a lifter. I don't move my arm. I rest my wrist on the pad, and lift/set down for movement. And this mouse works great for that. And my performance in fps games reflect how we'll this mouse works.

Eeeww but its wireless ;)

I'm guessing Cracka is just a lazy bugger and let all the screws stay loose. Maybe if he used his hands as much as his mouth and
tightened them, his R.A.T.5 might have lasted longer.

The mouse isn't broken, its my brothers. Like I said I think ive just been spoilt because compared to mine it really does feel cheap lol, but then again i'm not surprised because it is cheaper than my mouse so it makes sense its made out of cheaper components or is not as good build quality. I wasn't saying it feels like a 10 mouse... just that it feels cheap with poor build quality compared to mine :)

I wouldn't ever spend this much on a mouse btw... I won this in a competition. If I didnt win this I would probably have a RAT because they are very marketable and I understand why allot of people have one, im just very glad I won this :D the sensor in this thing is insane too

whitespider
12-27-2012, 03:01 AM
Eeeww but its wireless ;)

One good thing about wireless is that the cables never break.

Crackatoah
12-27-2012, 03:06 AM
The cable on this is built like a tank lol, shame the same cant be said for my headphones :(

HyperMatrix
12-27-2012, 03:37 AM
I used to hate wireless....but with 1000Hz polling...what are you complaining about? Yes, battery dies quick at that rate. But it comes with 2 batteries. One battery charges while the other is being used. And not having the cable restrict the movement of the mouse means I can dominate in FPS's. I used to nerd rage so hard when my cable would snag and alter or slow down movement and I'd die in an FPS. Doesn't happen anymore.

Crackatoah
12-27-2012, 10:05 AM
But have you ever died when your battery ran out? haha

I just like to keep input lag to an absolute minimum.

I cable clipped my mouse cable to the end of my desk, with a bit of slack. So my mouse is always free. its as if the cable's never there.

I know it can be an annoying problem, but with a minutes work its resolved :)

HyperMatrix
12-27-2012, 10:30 AM
But have you ever died when your battery ran out? haha

I just like to keep input lag to an absolute minimum.

I cable clipped my mouse cable to the end of my desk, with a bit of slack. So my mouse is always free. its as if the cable's never there.

I know it can be an annoying problem, but with a minutes work its resolved :)

The tugging from your wire, however little you think it is, will cause more lag than 1000Hz polling. Lol. And no...you don't die because your battery runs out. It has a flashing indicator that tells you it has an hour or so left. Batteries are no excuse for dying.

Sneaky
12-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Batteries are no excuse for dying.
lmao

Crackatoah
12-27-2012, 10:44 AM
No tugging from my wire though mate, the problem is easily resolved, just cable clip the cable to the end of the table, and leave an 'S' shape coming off the cable, if its a nice braided cable like mine it will just let the mouse float as if theres nothing attached :)

When Im gaming I dont (or wouldn't like to) have to look out for a flashing light to let me know my mouse is dying hehe

HyperMatrix
12-27-2012, 10:58 AM
No tugging from your wire that you can tell. Just like the 1ms lag from a wireless mouse that you can't tell. And it'd be impossible not to notice the battery indicator. It flashes about 1-2 hours before the battery dies so you're not in panic mode even when you see it. You seem to be complaining about things you have no experience with, simply because of an illogical preconception. Your argument is basically "I believe my choice is better because I chose it and I chose it because I believe certain things for which I have no data to back up." :P

Sneaky
12-27-2012, 11:00 AM
OMG ... someone actually gets what I have been saying!

I had to read that twice just to make sure lol

Crackatoah
12-27-2012, 03:32 PM
No tugging from your wire that you can tell. Just like the 1ms lag from a wireless mouse that you can't tell. And it'd be impossible not to notice the battery indicator. It flashes about 1-2 hours before the battery dies so you're not in panic mode even when you see it. You seem to be complaining about things you have no experience with, simply because of an illogical preconception. Your argument is basically "I believe my choice is better because I chose it and I chose it because I believe certain things for which I have no data to back up." :P

Nope, I just dont need to go wireless as my mouse doesn't have any problems with the cable snagging and is completely free to move, I just wouldn't like the fact that wireless adds input lag even if extremely minimal

winterhell
12-28-2012, 03:46 AM
Some of the higher end mice have the option to switch between wireless an wired communication on the fly, i.e. the cable is not only for recharging.
As for the input lag, the usb interface itself has such. So while the mouse sends 1000 times a second its stats, the delay is 1ms+usb lag. Cant give exact numbers but when dealing with audio interfaces, people prefer firewire over usb, and yet again pci/pci-express cards over firewire. Personally I've tried monitoring guitar playing through an USB 2.0 interface and the delay is unbearable to play, even with no effects on.

whitespider
12-28-2012, 03:54 AM
Some of the higher end mice have the option to switch between wireless an wired communication on the fly, i.e. the cable is not only for recharging.
As for the input lag, the usb interface itself has such. So while the mouse sends 1000 times a second its stats, the delay is 1ms+usb lag. Cant give exact numbers but when dealing with audio interfaces, people prefer firewire over usb, and yet again pci/pci-express cards over firewire. Personally I've tried monitoring guitar playing through an USB 2.0 interface and the delay is unbearable to play, even with no effects on.

I don't care about the wire getting in the way. Durability of that wire however, I care about that. I'd rather get a wired mouse with a durable, solid, construction, over a wireless mouse.

That's one less thing to multi-task. And they add up.

Shadman
12-28-2012, 04:02 AM
OMG ... someone actually gets what I have been saying!

I had to read that twice just to make sure lol

I get it. Hyper just has a more eloquent vocabulary

Sneaky
12-28-2012, 04:23 AM
I get it. Hyper just has a more eloquent vocabulary
I hear ya, that is definitely something I was not blessed with lol

Cpt.Teacup
12-29-2012, 12:10 AM
I don't know a whole lot about mice nor do I know if it's any good for what you're looking for but I'm just going to suggest the mouse I use, the Logitech G500. It's not the greatest looking mouse but it's fairly high quality and there are modding guides to make it look nicer if you want. It's comfortable for me to use for long periods of time, I use a combination of claw gripping and palm gripping. It has a weight tray in the bottom so you can make it heavier or lighter based on your grip type and inertia preferences. It has the sleeved cable like you were wanting, I don't know if it's high quality or not but it's held up pretty well from a year or two of rubbing on the corners of desks. The cable is kinda stiff so it's hard to work out kinks and bends. It has buttons to increase and decrease the DPI based on 5 custom settings. I believe the max DPI is 5900. It has 3 thumb buttons, which I really like, the middle one isn't recognized by any games or other programs though, so you have to assign a key or macro to it if you want to use it. The scroll wheel has a button behind it to switch between 2 modes, incremental and free. In free mode it can spin for a really long time.

Well there ya go. If you have any specific questions about it go ahead and ask. ;)

On a side note; I use it on an Icemat (I-2) and it's an incredible combination. The sensor must be fairly high quality because on that glass surface it moves very smoothly, I never notice any kind of jitter or loss of sensitivity.

BlackOctagon
01-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Whitespider, still looking for a keyboard? Jumped on the mechanical bandwagon yet?

whitespider
01-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Whitespider, still looking for a keyboard? Jumped on the mechanical bandwagon yet?

I have just been spending huge chunks of change, so I have not gone the keyboard path yet. Just some dodgy microsoft thing.

HyperMatrix
01-06-2013, 12:51 AM
What's the benefit of mechanical? I think back like 20 years ago keyboards I owned were mechanical, assuming I understand what a mechanical keyboard is. Do they not have more resistance and more sound when clicking? I kind of like the softer and silent clicking on my G19. What's the main benefit of a mechanical keyboard? I do see a lot of people recommending them.

BlackOctagon
01-06-2013, 07:04 AM
The main benefit people report is increased sturdiness and the fact that a key only depresses when you want it to. I've never owned one of the modem mechanical keyboards, but a couple of my friends like them. Both of these friends complain that non mechanical keyboards tend to double press keys when they are only going for a single press. Not a problem I've had, personally.

Nonetheless, I've been curious about them for some time. I've had plenty of keyboards and/or their individual keys break on me over the years, so the sturdiness is an attraction. I don't want a loud clickety noise when I type, however there are apparently quieter ones these days

Shadman
01-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Get a cherry red MX if you don't want the click. I just got one for my sister for Xmas and she is 16 and plays Garry's mod exclusively, but still likes it a hell of a lot better than her other one.

Crackatoah
01-06-2013, 05:11 PM
What's the benefit of mechanical? I think back like 20 years ago keyboards I owned were mechanical, assuming I understand what a mechanical keyboard is. Do they not have more resistance and more sound when clicking? I kind of like the softer and silent clicking on my G19. What's the main benefit of a mechanical keyboard? I do see a lot of people recommending them.

There's not really any major benefit, its just preference. One benefit may be they might last longer than membrane keyboards, but then they do cost 3-5 times as much lol.

Personally I like cherry MX black mechanical keyboards, no clicking sound but quite heavy feedback/resistance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2