PDA

View Full Version : Crossfire, RadeonPro, and Microstutter

BlackOctagon
12-27-2012, 05:13 PM
So my second 7970 finally arrived. After some birthing pains, I've kinda got Crossfire working in games.

However, the dreaded rumors are true. Microstutter exists, and it sucks major donkey balls. Some games, like Skyrim, are a total travesty (90fps on one 7970 feels way smoother than 170fps on two). In others, like Deus Ex, the stutter is more subtle but still there.

Do any of you know how to work the supposed 'microstutter fix' in the latest beta of RadeonPro? Reviews refer to the dynamic vsync function, but some forum members claim that the framerate limiter is the one to use. I've tried both, but if they're doing anything it certainly ain't enough to fool my eyes.

Don't suppose anyone has any good news for me? I'm finally at a constant 120fps, at 120Hz, at 1440p, and it my gaming experience is no better than a console with additional AA :(

Edit: ok that last part was a touch dramatic, but you get my point

whitespider
12-27-2012, 10:12 PM
God man. I did this exact thing. And believe me when I say that the 7970's have way better frame perception than the 6990 ever did.

There where things that I did to slightly mitigate it in some games with my 6990. It's just.. I don't know if it's the same for you on those 7970's. On my 6990 turning "off" vsync kind of made my frame perception 900% worse. And a lot of these microstutter/amd methods seem to involve turning off vsync in some form. Hell even on the supurb nvidia 6xx cards things like adaptive vsync stutter as they turn on/off. So it counteracts any gains.

There are articles in major publications that show strait line performance with adaptive and dynamic vsync when in a multi gpu environment. I'm sorry. I did some extensive testing, and I never found this to be true. Benchmark tools might have told them one thing, but my eyes tell me another.

And I am doing horribly at good news. Truly horribly.

n0rp
12-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Should try to play arround with these settings in the latest radeonpro http://blog.radeonpro.info/

- New: Dynamic Framerate Control (DFC) support. This feature acts like a frame rate limiter with smoothness control, just set a frame rate target and RadeonPro will try to keep it as close as possible while maintaining frame rendering times close to each other to avoid stuttering.
- New: DFC can be activated/deactivated during the game with SHIFT+END key
- New: DFC feature's frame rate target is adjustable in real time, press SHIFT+INSERT to increase the limit and SHIFT+DELETE to decrease it

whitespider
12-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Should try to play arround with these settings in the latest radeonpro http://blog.radeonpro.info/

- New: Dynamic Framerate Control (DFC) support. This feature acts like a frame rate limiter with smoothness control, just set a frame rate target and RadeonPro will try to keep it as close as possible while maintaining frame rendering times close to each other to avoid stuttering.
- New: DFC can be activated/deactivated during the game with SHIFT+END key
- New: DFC feature's frame rate target is adjustable in real time, press SHIFT+INSERT to increase the limit and SHIFT+DELETE to decrease it

Do those suggested things.

If that fails, make sure you have high precision event timer turned OFF in the bios and windows.

If that fails. Seriously consider selling the 7970's and getting 680's. Or even 670's. Framerate numbers are meaningless unless you have reasonable frame perception backing them up.

Important point - Hence the italics.
SLI 6xx cards do microstutter in nearly every game when there is a highly variable framerate. They just do so in a way that is minimal. 7xxx cards do it in a more drastic way, often creating a fully fledged 'skipping' effect. The 6xx cards don't exactly 'skip', they feel one small step below a single gpu. Which makes the added performance from those cards, something actually worthwhile.

This becomes more evident when you disable vsync, often AMD cards have shocking frame perception when you do this, whereas 6xx cards slightly improve, or slightly decrease the smoothness.

BlackOctagon
12-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Thanks guys, I'll give this a go later. It is quite saddening, really. My single Sapphire 7970 has worked truly flawlessly all year. OCs like a dream, and to be honest averages over 60fps in most games at 1440p at near-max settings (exceptions being Crysis and Metro, of course).

Getting a second 7970 felt like a pure luxury. I wanted to be able to try out high AA, and (my experience of Southern Island's being flawless, so far) to see first hand whether Crossfire is as bad as it's cracked up to be. So far it's looking that way, but here's hoping that further tweaking gets me somewhere. Will report back

BlackOctagon
12-28-2012, 02:44 AM
If that fails, make sure you have high precision event timer turned OFF in the bios and windows.

Hey thanks, hadn't heard of that particular 'fix', but is it safe? Won't disabling HPET prevent my audio from syncing with video in some situations, e.g., YouTube?

whitespider
12-28-2012, 03:47 AM
Hey thanks, hadn't heard of that particular 'fix', but is it safe? Won't disabling HPET prevent my audio from syncing with video in some situations, e.g., YouTube?

My entire computer died for unknown reasons not long ago.

Yes, it is safe.

Wait, what?

(psst. I think it's safe. I mean. The above is just a coincidence right?)

(Pssst 2.0, as for sync issues, nothing to report on that front. Disabling hpet does definately make my SLI act smoother. It's already smooth. This just gives me a very noticable 20% boost. If i run vlc, splash player, youtube, they all have normal sync. Unless they already have a sync issue (say, i download an episode of homeland that is then nuked, that's the encode's fault, nothing to do with hpet - obviously))

Also, brackets within brackets.

Granted, this might only be for sli. Or certain motherboards. I can't say. All i know is that it helps me. You don't need to disable anything windows side, just hpet in the bios.

BlackOctagon
12-28-2012, 04:07 AM
Cheers mate! Other 'fixes' I've scoured from the interwebs this morning include forced triple buffering in all games, in all scenarios (even when vsync is off) via RadeonPro. Another guy also swears he got significantly greater smoothness after disabling DX Render Ahead (setting flip queue size to 0 in RadeonPro).

Seriously though, if I can't fix it I will just sell one of my 7970s and stick with a single card. I think I would cry if I sold both of them, switched to SLI and still found the stutter unacceptable.

I'm still hopeful that I can mitigate all this somehow, though I must say, as much as I don't mind tinkering with weird and wonderful settings in PC games, the out-of-the-box performance on Crossfire was so bad as to test the limits of my patience

Sneaky
12-28-2012, 04:28 AM
I hope ya get it sorted, this is the whole reason I went the Nvidia path, I was hearing to much mention of ATI Crossfire + Microstutter and I
wasn't prepared to take the risk knowing I would eventually go with dual/tripple cards.

Sell em both, go a single Nvidia card for now and maybe dual later and you'll never look back ;)

BlackOctagon
12-28-2012, 04:49 AM
Cheers Sneaky. I'm gonna try various 'fixes' that I've found on the web and see how I go. If there's still no love I will just sell my latest 7970, as my 'old' Sapphire vanilla 7970 (purchased in Jan) has given me pretty much all the performance I need* when overclocked, even at 1440p/120Hz

But yes, so far I'm definitely going to consider NVIDIA for my next build if planning to go multiple GPU. Do they intend to continue voltage locking their chips in the future? Because that would be...quite upsetting

*Metro 2033 and Crysis 1 are, of course, exceptions to this

whitespider
12-28-2012, 04:57 AM
Cheers Sneaky. I'm gonna try various 'fixes' that I've found on the web and see how I go. If there's still no love I will just sell my latest 7970, as my 'old' Sapphire vanilla 7970 (purchased in Jan) has given me pretty much all the performance I need* when overclocked, even at 1440p/120Hz

But yes, so far I'm definitely going to consider NVIDIA for my next build if planning to go multiple GPU. Do they intend to continue voltage locking their chips in the future? Because that would be...quite upsetting

*Metro 2033 and Crysis 1 are, of course, exceptions to this

See, we are veering into numerical performance now. Drop that ball. It's lead.

Sticking with the single 7970 is one solution. Absolutely. Mind you, selling the 7970's and getting 670's is not THAT hard. And it's probably worth it. I wanted around for years with my 6990, hoping to solve something. And I never did. I am trying to save you even a small fraction of that bullshit i went through.

whitespider
12-28-2012, 04:57 AM
This is a double post. That's what I like the most. Put me on a post. Call me a turkey roast.

BlackOctagon
12-28-2012, 05:24 AM
This is a double post. That's what I like the most. Put me on a post. Call me a turkey roast.

Lol, remove the final sentence and you have yourself a haiku

Crackatoah
12-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Here you go http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devil13-7970-x2,3329-11.html It pretty much completely eliminates it to the percieved level of a single card.

Read the whole review to get a jist of microstutter, as you can see they tried a few things to make it better, but this just worked like a charm.

Can confirm I tried it on 5870's too and it just feels like a single card.

BlackOctagon
12-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Hey cheers, but as stated in my OP I've tried both dynamic vsync and the framerate limiter functions...with no joy :(

n0rp
12-28-2012, 10:42 PM
What drivers are u using?

Cpt.Teacup
12-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Hey, if you decide to sell one of them let me know, I might be interested. ;)

BlackOctagon
12-29-2012, 05:42 AM
What drivers are u using?

Cat 12.11 Beta 11, with CAP2 (I.e., the latest ones)

BlackOctagon
12-29-2012, 05:43 AM
Hey, if you decide to sell one of them let me know, I might be interested. ;)

Will do! Which continent do you live in, good Sir?

Cpt.Teacup
12-29-2012, 12:40 PM
USA (United States of the uppermost Amerikan continent)
I hope shipping from Belgium (that's you right?) isn't too much.

BlackOctagon
12-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Well, there is a pretty epic ocean between us, but I like to think I have a bit of that 'can do' spirit for which you Yankees are so famous. No idea how much shipping to Belgium would be, but I'm only looking to recuperate my costs and not make any profit

K-Man
12-30-2012, 03:25 AM
Sell both cards, Buy a 690?

Cpt.Teacup
12-30-2012, 04:48 AM
How much did you pay for them, then?

Also, dual GPU card... ew. :p

TheZone
12-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Dam black you just got it--- what it's two weeks old.

BlackOctagon
12-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Less than a week, Zoney. Got it for eur320 off Amazon Germany. Will try to mitigate the issue for a few days first before deciding to sell it. Right now my mate is visiting from out of town and is playing games near 24/7, lol. So will have to wait till the new year before doing some proper trial and error

TheZone
12-30-2012, 07:39 AM
LOL charge him 160Eur then u can sell the card for half of what u paid lol

whitespider
12-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Also, dual AMD GPU card... ew. :p

I agree.

BlackOctagon
12-30-2012, 10:05 AM
LOL charge him 160Eur then u can sell the card for half of what u paid lol

Lol, you're not helping Zoney! :)

Cpt.Teacup
12-30-2012, 12:52 PM
I agree.

No, all dual GPU cards. I'd rather have two cards.

whitespider
12-31-2012, 03:25 AM
No, all dual GPU cards. I'd rather have two cards.

I also agree. Nvidia just has way, way, way, way (200,000,000 years of typing 'way'), way, way, way, way... WAY. WAY. WAY. Less.

BlackOctagon
01-02-2013, 02:13 PM
UPDATE: Just reporting back to say that I've tried basically all 'fixes' that I've seen online, and to no avail whatsoever :(

I have experimented with all sorts of in-game settings, both basic and advanced

I have experimented with RadeonPro's dynamic VSync, framerate limiters, forced triple buffering and manual Flip Queue Sizesettings

I have tried various Catalyst drivers, both the latest Beta and older WHQLs. I even tried older CAP drivers just in case.

I have disabled HPET in both BIOS and Windows

I have even updated my friggen' RealTek Ethernet adapter drivers (a dude on another forum swore that this of all things fixed his microstutter woes)

No matter what, the result is the same. With Crossfire disabled, a single card (EITHER card) runs whatever game super smoothly and without hitches. With Crossfire enabled, the reported framerate goes up but the subjective smoothness is horrible. Nothing I have done has even slightly mitigated this, let along removed the problem.

Looks like I will soon have at least 1 7970 for sale (vanilla Powercolor, if anyone is interested)

It also looks like I may be switching to NVIDIA next generation, unless both teams come out with extremely affordable single GPU solutions that will drive 120fps@1440p (not holding my breath).

A real shame, because in non-Crossfire mode my single Sapphire 7970 has performed like a dream. I experienced none of the famous 'crappy AMD drivers' about which one reads so much online, and in fact was so satisfied that I even became a little defensive against constant attacks on these drivers.

But whether driver-related or something else, the fact is that I am experiencing noticeable stutter in Crossfire mode, and I am not willing to accept it for any price, let alone the near 850 Euro total price tag I paid for these 2 cards. I true shame.

Cpt.Teacup
01-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Looks like I will soon have at least 1 7970 for sale (vanilla Powercolor, if anyone is interested)

I thought it was also a Sapphire, darn. :(

BlackOctagon
01-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Sapphire I've had since Jan 12, the Powercolor is the new one. Both are regular old vanillas, no custom coolers.

whitespider
01-02-2013, 07:28 PM
The post you made sounds a hell of a lot like the post I made after getting the 6990. After much deliberation, I decided that I would undertake one -final- gamble, and switch to nvidia - Mostly because of the positive feedback in regards to skyrim and SLI. I tempered my expectations this time, I thought - "this is going to have some kind of microstutter, as long as it's not nearly as bad, I'll love the results".

And it did.And I did love the result. It had about as much microstutter as my single 5870 did. And slightly less than my single 670 that I initially purchased due to not being able to afford sli from the outset. And that was something I could live with.

It's funny, because at the time. Reviews where complaining about metro 2033's performance on 6XX cards. And I was like "who cares, the game is unplayable due to the microstutter". I thought that no graphics card could tame that game's frame peception at maximum settings. And when I finally tested it out (because it's a benchmark game, really, in the end) - It ran at a semi-smooth framerate.

The unthinkable just happened. And thus numbers. Statistics. 99fps vs 200fps. Became a thing of the past. It's how a game 'feels' to us massively sensitive folk (otherwise known as humans). That statement even remains fractionally true for single cards, which ALSO vary in frame perception. My SLI 670's are a hell of a lot smoother in skyrim than a single 7970, for example. And the 7970 is a hell of a lot smoother than my 670's in farcry 3 direct x 11.

Mind you, when running 670's in sli, I have found ways to confront microstutter via frame capping and many other methods (even adding my own SLI profile in some rare cases) - I was never able to tame the 6990's microstutter. Regardless of setting combinations. I tried all the same things, and they all failed.

ToastyX
01-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Can you try it with the unpatched driver at 80 Hz? I just want to make sure it's not a problem with the patch.

Also try disabling PCIe 3.0 and PCIe Gen2 in the BIOS if you can.

whitespider
01-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Can you try it with the unpatched driver at 80 Hz? I just want to make sure it's not a problem with the patch.

Actually, yes. There is an entirely separate issue that I had with PCIE 3 that caused it's own kind of stutter (on my last mobo). Setting it to pcie gen 1.1 in the bios fixed it.

BlackOctagon
01-03-2013, 02:08 AM

I...will certainly try. Though 80fps even on a single card looks less than fully smooth, I should be able do distinguish that from microstutter, especially in Skyrim. Will report back.

P.S., anyone happen to know how to change the PCIe versions in the BIOS of the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3? Cough whitespider cough! :)

BlackOctagon
01-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Update: So I was able to run the monitor in 80Hz auto mode (with UNpatched) drivers but as soon as I tried to launch Skyrim it crashed the system. Didn't see a BSOD but BlueScreenView picked up the following report:

Sorry, but this is really turning into more work than I'm prepared to do. Based on the sheer number of internet posts out there lamenting Crossfire-induced microstutter, I'm prepared to write this off as a failure on AMD's part. I'm sure your driver patchers are fine... :)

If you still want me to test anything then I'm happy to do so, when I have the time and up till the point that I sell off this new 7970. Just let me know.

BlackOctagon
01-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Oh yeah, and I've scoured through my ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 BIOS but see no way to make my PCIe3.0 ports run in 1.1 mode. I only have an option to set the PCIe device as the primary graphics adapter (which I have done, obviously) as well as other basic options like disabling onboard VGA (which I have also done, obviously)

TheZone
01-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Black Black the fan boys are calling you come to the dark side and sell those AMD lol

whitespider
01-03-2013, 10:24 PM
I believe that the pcie-3 stutter was nvidia 6xx exclusive anyway. 7970's should not have it.

BlackOctagon
01-09-2013, 05:13 AM
So, smartasses. Anyone in the market for a second-hand 7970 or 2? :)

whitespider
01-09-2013, 05:26 AM
Cracka should get another one. He seems to posses an unlimited amount of praise for the almighty 7970.

Sneaky
01-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Cracka should get another one. He seems to posses an unlimited amount of praise for the almighty 7970.
Nah .. he's too smart to do that =P

BlackOctagon
01-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Nah .. he's too smart to do that =P

Well, that makes one of us :(

whitespider
01-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Well, that makes one of us :(

The green glow of the nividia lights beckon.

Crackatoah
01-09-2013, 09:00 AM

I just get whatever the best value is at the time, and praise things that are good value :) Although I don't think I've actually praised the 7970 much at all lol, just recommended it.

Besides, one heavily clocked 7970 is perfect for me, another card would be pointless, I run all my games at 100+ fps on max settings without AA, so crisp :)

Cpt.Teacup
01-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Black, what kind of overclocks can you get?

whitespider
01-09-2013, 02:37 PM
I just get whatever the best value is at the time, and praise things that are good value :) Although I don't think I've actually praised the 7970 much at all lol, just recommended it.

Besides, one heavily clocked 7970 is perfect for me, another card would be pointless, I run all my games at 100+ fps on max settings without AA, so crisp :)

Hey man, since you don't plan on getting another one. Then that's right, it has a lot of things that are extremely good value. And it overclocks like a beast most of the time.

It just gets really messy when you go crossfire. And while some people would strongly argue against that point, I think those people are nuts.

BlackOctagon
01-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Black, what kind of overclocks can you get?

My sapphire gets a stable 1250/1750 using Trixx. Haven't tried the Powercolor yet. The latter seems to run a fair bit cooler (at stock, at least) but this doesn't mean it's got a lucky chip for overclocking. Will try to find time to check it out this weekend

BlackOctagon
01-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Mini update: just upgraded from Catalyst 12.11 Beta to 13.1 WHQL. Even though the differences between the two are meant to be tiny, I swear there is actually some noticeable improvement to the stutter I was experiencing, both in Skyrim and Deus Ex.

Not Crysis 1, unfortunately, but Crysis rarely feels super smooth anyway, even when just running a single card.

I'm gonna wait out a couple more versions of Catalyst updates (which are meant to address frame latency directly) before definitively deciding whether to sell off my 7970s..

whitespider
01-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Mini update: just upgraded from Catalyst 12.11 Beta to 13.1 WHQL. Even though the differences between the two are meant to be tiny, I swear there is actually some noticeable improvement to the stutter I was experiencing, both in Skyrim and Deus Ex.

Not Crysis 1, unfortunately, but Crysis rarely feels super smooth anyway, even when just running a single card.

I'm gonna wait out a couple more versions of Catalyst updates (which are meant to address frame latency directly) before definitively deciding whether to sell off my 7970s..

If you could somehow get your hands on two 6xx cards and test them out, at least that way you would be able to directly compare and get a feel for each brands frame perception. It's kind of a signature actually.

Just blindly purchasing something, even the 6xx cards that I recommend - is rarely a good idea.

Crackatoah
01-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Yeh I would wait because they are really working on this atm so I presume it will be solved in the next drivers.

whitespider
01-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Yeh I would wait because they are really working on this atm so I presume it will be solved in the next drivers.

Solved? Seriously? I doubt it will flatout be solved.

BlackOctagon
01-19-2013, 03:25 PM
I do not expect a full solution. However I welcome any and all improvement. Cracka, have you tried the leaked 13.2 Beta yet?

Crackatoah
01-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Solved? Seriously? I doubt it will flatout be solved.

Why not? I never meant for it to be perfect, but at least to be on par with Nvidia in terms of frame latency. Nvidia isn't perfect either, it also depends on the game.

I do not expect a full solution. However I welcome any and all improvement. Cracka, have you tried the leaked 13.2 Beta yet?

No not yet Iv'e heard it shouldn't have been leaked and their are allo tof bugs with it, I think ill just wait till the official BETA. Im still happy on the 12.11's. Saying that I havent even fired up a game in 2 weeks lol

whitespider
01-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Why not? I never meant for it to be perfect, but at least to be on par with Nvidia in terms of frame latency. Nvidia isn't perfect either, it also depends on the game.

That's what I meant. Microstutter (in general across both brands) won't be solved any time soon. And certainly not in a driver revision or two on either side of the fence.

Crackatoah
01-19-2013, 04:11 PM
That's what I meant. Microstutter (in general across both brands) won't be solved any time soon. And certainly not in a driver revision or two on either side of the fence.

Of course, nothings perfect unfortunately :p

VI952
01-19-2013, 08:43 PM

Interested in hearing how this turns out for you. I'm building a new rig to go with the Catleap that's on the way and I love the price point of the 7950/70s, but all the talk of heinous microstutter makes me lean towards the 670s despite the price jump. I'm still not 100% on which I'll get. :/

Aias
01-19-2013, 09:43 PM
http://techreport.com/review/24218/a-driver-update-to-reduce-radeon-frame-times

read this guys

Crackatoah
01-19-2013, 09:53 PM
http://techreport.com/review/24218/a-driver-update-to-reduce-radeon-frame-times

read this guys

http://120hz.net/showthread.php?1292-AMD-Shares-Update-On-Frame-Latency-13.2-Beta

BlackOctagon
01-20-2013, 03:09 AM
Interested in hearing how this turns out for you. I'm building a new rig to go with the Catleap that's on the way and I love the price point of the 7950/70s, but all the talk of heinous microstutter makes me lean towards the 670s despite the price jump. I'm still not 100% on which I'll get. :/

TBH, as things currently stand I'd still go the 670s if building from scratch. I'm hoping for the best with my own cards but even if all works out well it could be a while

Crackatoah
01-20-2013, 07:12 AM
TBH, as things currently stand I'd still go the 670s if building from scratch. I'm hoping for the best with my own cards but even if all works out well it could be a while

Personally I wouldn't bother if I were you.. specially when AMD are fixing what your problem was, and its not long before the new cards are out, now is possibly the worst time to spend money changing from 2 high end cards to another brands 2 high end cards, not forgetting that the 670's will often be slower, so if they do fix the CF down to a level that Nvidia has (which I presume the will) then it would be silly really.

What if you buy the 670's, and in 3-5 months new cards come out which smash them.. it would be a waste of money man I would wait till the new cards.

Dont let the bug bite! lol

BlackOctagon
01-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Hey Cracka was that last post addressed to me? I do intend to see how future drivers go. However I already have my 7970s and am not building a fresh rig (unlike the other guy, who may wish to just avoid the gamble altogether by going for the 670s from day 1).

Crackatoah
01-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Hey Cracka was that last post addressed to me? I do intend to see how future drivers go. However I already have my 7970s and am not building a fresh rig (unlike the other guy, who may wish to just avoid the gamble altogether by going for the 670s from day 1).

Yeh, Im just saying now would be a bad time IMO to sell your 7970 and buy 670's. Because they will probably fix your issue within week or 2 and the 7970's are faster than the 670's anyway, you would be paying to downgrade and then probably end up selling (or wanting to lol) anyway in 3+ months when the new GPU's come out.

If I was buying know I would easily get a 7950 because they are 680+ performance at this res and they cost a whole lot less. If I wanted to go CF I would wait out till the new update to confirm its all good. Although for myslef the Radeon pro fix has always worked a treat anyway in the past.

whitespider
01-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Yeh, Im just saying now would be a bad time IMO to sell your 7970 and buy 670's. Because they will probably fix your issue within week or 2 and the 7970's are faster than the 670's anyway, you would be paying to downgrade and then probably end up selling (or wanting to lol) anyway in 3+ months when the new GPU's come out.

If I was buying know I would easily get a 7950 because they are 680+ performance at this res and they cost a whole lot less. If I wanted to go CF I would wait out till the new update to confirm its all good. Although for myslef the Radeon pro fix has always worked a treat anyway in the past.

Sigh.

Crackatoah
01-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Sigh.

:confused:

Sneaky
01-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Sigh.
I feel ya! "Insert Face Palm Smiley here"

Had to break my posting hiatus ..... didn't want you feeling all alone :D

Crackatoah
01-21-2013, 09:53 AM
I feel ya! "Insert Face Palm Smiley here"

Had to break my posting hiatus ..... didn't want you feeling all alone :D

Yay :)

BlackOctagon
02-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Just tried 13.2 Beta 4. Impressive smoothness improvements in single GPU mode, however there is still more microstutter in dual GPU mode than I'm willing to endure. My Powercolor 7970 is now up for sale: http://120hz.net/showthread.php?1388-SELL-Powercolor-7970-%80300

Pleiades
02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
I got a 7950 last year and since it was an upgrade from a GTX260 it was obviously pretty fast ;)

I was planning to Xfire it with another 7950 when the next-gen comes out and hopefully prices fall a bit, but reading this thread about micro-stuttering issues makes me wonder if that's actually a wise choice...

Added to that, the XFX Double-D runs fairly hot, so another card next to it will make the PC sound monstrously loud I presume; I game with headphones on so it's not so important but I do kinda miss the 'silent running' of yesteryear...

BTW I have a CoolerMaster HAF 932 so the case is well served by fans.

BlackOctagon
02-03-2013, 02:30 PM
My personal advice is NOT to risk it. A single 7970 overclocked is serving me pretty well at 1440p. I'm not maintaining 120fps at thus resolution without turning off some visual features, but I find the reduction in visual quality quite minor if I'm honest. Just fired up Crysis 1. To average 120fps I need to turn AA off completely, and turn several graphical features to medium (leaving only a couple on high) and certainly nothing on very high / enthusiast. But you know what? It still looks damn good, and I'll take the smoothness over 'max'settings any day.

(still awaiting the nextgen cards with interest, however)

Crackatoah
02-03-2013, 03:59 PM
My personal advice is NOT to risk it. A single 7970 overclocked is serving me pretty well at 1440p. I'm not maintaining 120fps at thus resolution without turning off some visual features, but I find the reduction in visual quality quite minor if I'm honest. Just fired up Crysis 1. To average 120fps I need to turn AA off completely, and turn several graphical features to medium (leaving only a couple on high) and certainly nothing on very high / enthusiast. But you know what? It still looks damn good, and I'll take the smoothness over 'max'settings any day.

(still awaiting the nextgen cards with interest, however)

This is what I do, although I didnt have any problems with micro stutter with CF in the past with a frame limiter, 1 7970 overclocked is enough to play any game at this res at decent settings and framerate.

The thing is allot of settings in games take up allot of performance, but don't actually make much of a difference, or actually hinder the graphics/ playability.

I know what its like wanting everything on max, but in reality you dont need it if you configure the game proper it can look pretty much just as good without a few things that you wont even notice.

BlackOctagon
02-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Exactly. As cool as it sounds to run everything on highest settings with 32x SGSSAA, all the while keeping Metro 2033 from ever dipping below 120fps, the sheer expense involved in making that happen is not, to me, worth it. Perhaps it would be if computer hardware didn't depreciate in value so much over time.

If I had to go back a year and redo the build I have today, I would have grabbed a couple of 670s. I think that is the true sweet spot this generation.

Alas, I didn't do it, and tbh won't be switching to NVIDIA , at least until the time comes that a single 7970 isn't cutting it any longer. Hopefully I can wait at least another year

whitespider
02-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Fair enough.

It's just strange that everyone talks about crossfire as if it's a 'thing'. At all. I just tested my 6990 and it microstuttered to living shit.

This is what AMD crossfire 'feels like' in terms of framtimes

-- ------ -- ---- -- --- ---------- --- ----- -- ------- --- ------

This is what a 670/7970 (single) 'feel like' in terms of framtimes

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- -- -- -- --- -- -- ---

And this is what 670 feels like in sli (again, in frametimes)

--- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- ---

The 670 might be drawing longer frames than the single gpu, but it's doing it evenly. In some cases, certain games actually GAIN frame perception in SLI on top of the added smoothness of the framerate (Skyrim, Metro, Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs, just to name a few)

winterhell
02-03-2013, 04:31 PM
keeping Metro 2033 from ever dipping below 120fps
Impossibru. Its not 2015 yet