PDA

View Full Version : Cyborg Gaming Lights

HyperMatrix
01-06-2013, 06:35 AM
Anyone have these? I've been very tempted to get them. Stick them behind the monitor. Get more immersion. They're like the mood lights that Philip's Plasma TV's had back in the day. Good idea? Bad idea? What do you think? It works with Music, Games, and Movies. And you can connect up to 10. though that's excessive and expensive.

http://www.ambx.com/product/cyborg-gaming-lights

http://www.ambx.com/sites/default/files/Products/ambxlights.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxyMWW_KaNo

Sneaky
01-06-2013, 07:34 AM
Personally I think it is just a gimik, a way for them to make more money.
BTW, I think the cat at the start of that vid is on ACID =P

Pleiades
01-06-2013, 09:23 AM
I have some of the Philips AmBx lights, they're quite pretty at times but don't really add anything to games or video IMO...

HyperMatrix
01-06-2013, 09:30 AM
I have some of the Philips AmBx lights, they're quite pretty at times but don't really add anything to games or video IMO...

Do you find them to be distracting or annoying during competitive online fps games? That's something I'm a little concerned about.

Technologist
01-06-2013, 04:09 PM
I would save the $100 and go with something more custom like this that can be hidden:

http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Changing-Controller-44-button-3215/dp/B0040FJ27S/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357508718&sr=1-1&keywords=led+rope+RGB

I have several hundred feet of LED lights lighting several rooms in my house.

If you know the Color you want you can go with one color versions for $13 shipped but you'll need a $8 12V 6A power supply that can power 5-6 stands and some soldering ability.

You can go with Red, Blue, Green, Warm White, Cool White, Purple etc,..

Like this, look at the user pictures for ideas:
http://www.amazon.com/Hitlights-Flexible-Ribbon-Lighting-Strip/dp/B005MSAKZK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1357509069&sr=8-6&keywords=led+Light+rope

The power supply:
http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Power-Supply-LCD-Monitor/dp/B003TUMDWG/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1357509390&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=12v+6a+power+supply

Here is the remote control dimmer that is infinitely dimmable and handles close to 100 watts of LED rope lights. The lights have 3M stick on the back so you can hide them and stick them to even the back of your monitor so they take up zero room and the lights can't be seen but can do a perfect glow 16 feet per strand. Mine have 300 SMD leds per strand. On mine I might go from .1 lumens to 3000 lumens depending on mood.

http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-EVER-Dimmer-Wireless-Control/dp/B004X4O1NG/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1357509483&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=led+rope+remote+dimmer

Crackatoah
01-07-2013, 02:37 AM
I had these exact lights, were pretty expensive and tbh they didn't really add anything, even for music they weren't that good, I'm sure there's better ,mood, sort of lights out there.
I sold them and bought 2 of these http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-179-AN&groupid=17&catid=1992&subcat=
They bare very good, I put 1 strip vertically on each side of the back of the cat leap and it gives a very even backlight. It improves the perceived contrast ratio and is very noticeable, it also gives me a kind of 'cool' feeling in my forehead which sounds bizzar but it really does lol, its good for fatigue and if you use your monitor in the dark allot, I'll try and get a picture later.

Pleiades
01-07-2013, 05:54 AM
Do you find them to be distracting or annoying during competitive online fps games? That's something I'm a little concerned about.

TBH I don't notice them at all during 'firefights', it's only on menu screens, paused etc, that you have time to really appreciate they're actually there lol (and I have the intensity set to High). But remember these are the old, discontinued (and unsupported) Philips ones, new ones might be brighter.

I do like the soft glow that the main centre 'wallwasher' puts behind the screen, but it's bulky (Crackatoah's suggestion of bias LED strips makes more sense tbh) and as I said, they're quite pretty (especially pulsing in time with music).

There's absolutely no discernable advantage to be gained in competitive play (tho supposedly they help with eye fatigue but AFAIK no scientific test has ever been done to confirm this).

Technologist
01-08-2013, 01:21 PM
There's absolutely no discernable advantage to be gained in competitive play (tho supposedly they help with eye fatigue but AFAIK no scientific test has ever been done to confirm this).

I have infinitely adjustable brightness LED lighting behind my 1440P 120Hz monitor. I run them from 2,700 Kelvin to 5,000 Kelvin (Color temperature depending on time of day). Lighting up the entire wall behind my monitor helps immensely at reducing eye fatigue. At night or with a shaded room the monitor is a tight light source.

When you light up the area behind the monitor it takes away the night vision binocular effect. That intense bright image in the center of your vision but dark on the periphery. Lighting up the background without putting reflections on your screen(improper lighting placement) really helps with eye fatigue. It's not just for eye fatigue or as performance in FPS games is also improved for me with better K/D ratios.

Crackatoah
01-08-2013, 04:37 PM
I have infinitely adjustable brightness LED lighting behind my 1440P 120Hz monitor. I run them from 2,700 Kelvin to 5,000 Kelvin (Color temperature depending on time of day). Lighting up the entire wall behind my monitor helps immensely at reducing eye fatigue. At night or with a shaded room the monitor is a tight light source.

When you light up the area behind the monitor it takes away the night vision binocular effect. That intense bright image in the center of your vision but dark on the periphery. Lighting up the background without putting reflections on your screen(improper lighting placement) really helps with eye fatigue. It's not just for eye fatigue or as performance in FPS games is also improved for me with better K/D ratios.

This, I noticed a very big difference when I got my backlights, like I said they give my foreheade a kind of 'cool' feeling when I use my PC in the dim light/dark, and I can use it for hours and still feel nice, its hard to describe.

And also because there is a backlight behind the monitor (designed to be the right temperiture to specifically do this) it makes blacks appear even more black and just the overall contrast ratio to appear wider and more real.

I really need to get a picture up because it also looks AWESOME :)

whitespider
01-08-2013, 04:47 PM
They don't seem to sell any of these lights in Australia....

Crackatoah
01-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Australia gets the hard end of the stick quite often unfortunately

whitespider
01-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Yeah, and it was 111.2f yesterday. (42c)

How is that reasonable?. It's not.

Crackatoah
01-10-2013, 05:14 AM
I would overheat in that lol, I struggle here when its 35 degrees!

Crackatoah
01-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Heres a few pics, crappy camera but you can imagine or kinda see how it improves the contrast ratio to the human eye in the dark or dim light, I love it, looks cool too. And just makes my head feel all cool lol (its weird cant explain it haha) really does eliminate any strain from your head or eyes, I don't know why, it just does.

Highly recommend to anyone with.. a PC or TV/projector for that matter, they are only cheap and I dont know how I went so long without them!

Ive got black stuff on the wall so you cant really see them fully, it glows all round in person but the camera on the I phone is a bit pants

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ykc2zb.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2u5xod3.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/ej8kef.jpg

waperboy
01-11-2013, 08:00 AM
That's very nice, I have to get me some LED strips to put on the back of the monitor - have dark room and easily get eye strain in the evenings.

Sneaky
01-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Looks cool, but why am I not suprised you need your clock to actually tell you what it is. :p lmao

Crackatoah
01-11-2013, 11:15 AM
I love the clock haha, Ive got loads of these Tshirts aswell; http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0052KG7FU/ref=asc_df_B0052KG7FU11431758/?tag=googlecouk06-21&creative=22134&creativeASIN=B0052KG7FU&linkCode=asn
Got pretty much all of them, I wear them to the gym and everyone looks at me like 'wtf' hahaha
They love every time I come in with another random tshirt :p

I might have to start taking it further, all my cups will have 'cup' on them.

And ill shave 'dog' into my dogs fur (when/if I get one....)

That would be pretty funny actually lol, taking the dog for a walk with 'DOG' shaved on the side of it.

Pleiades
02-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Gosh darn it after upgrading to Win 8, the Philips Ambilights stopped working and as far as I can see, there aren't any official drivers for it :(

Funny how u only miss something when it's gone LOL. I'd probably get those Cyborgs if there were considerably cheaper (has anyone tried them with Win 8?)...

HyperMatrix
02-03-2013, 10:03 AM
My hesitation with getting the lights is based off of the lack of brightness from them. The back of my computer isn't facing a wall. so I'd need something brighter. At 100 lumens, I'd need to get multiple units to make it work the way I want. And it's too expensive for that. And it doesn't have a central console they all plug in to, so you'd also have to give up a lot of USB ports.

n0rp
02-03-2013, 11:20 AM
get a beamer? xD

HyperMatrix
02-03-2013, 11:43 AM
get a beamer? xD

A what?

Crackatoah
02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
My hesitation with getting the lights is based off of the lack of brightness from them. The back of my computer isn't facing a wall. so I'd need something brighter. At 100 lumens, I'd need to get multiple units to make it work the way I want. And it's too expensive for that. And it doesn't have a central console they all plug in to, so you'd also have to give up a lot of USB ports.

Are you talking about the Cyborg lights or the one ones I use?

If its the ones I use then they are very bright and give a perfect glow from 0.2-1 meters collaborated for getting a good perceived contrast ratio, if your monitor is further from the wall just use more. if its more than 1 meter away from the wall which would be a strange set up then I would look at some alternatives, there are mood lights you cant get, or contrast ratio lights, that you can run along the bottom or top of the wall and they glow the whole wall.

I use a USB extender with 4 USB ports on the end of it and stick it under my table, and plug them in to that, so if your talking about the Cyborgs, or these, then that fixes that problem.

Pleiades
02-03-2013, 12:43 PM
get a beamer? xD

Well that's a Beemer in the picture I guess lol.

Pleiades
02-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Has anyone tried a cheap projector (mimicking the desktop but obviously pointing to the wall behind your main screen).

Reason being, some of the new LED projectors are actually cheaper than a couple of sets of Cyborg Lights...

HyperMatrix
02-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Well that's a Beemer in the picture I guess lol.

Haha that's my old car. Totalled it, sadly. I thought maybe he was referring to some device that beams...since we're talking about lights and projection.

Crackatoah
02-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Im rocking a Sirocco atm, love it but its getting a bit boring. Looking to get a bmw after this, but they are too damn popular over hear, I like to have something different.

Ever since I was a kid I always wanted a Nissan GTR 34. Now I could get one but its just not practical lol, petrol and tax will cost LOADS (Petrol is extremely expensive over here, 1.40 per litre) I might end up getting one though, I only drive my own car at the weekends anyway.

HyperMatrix
02-03-2013, 04:17 PM
BMW was in the "too popular/douche" category a few years back. Fortunately, Audi has now taken that crown and it's OK to own a BMW again. Haha. The Z3 was such a fun car. It was so incredibly easy to toss the back end out. And if you got one of the later S54 Z3M's, you were doing 4.6s 0-60 on a 3.2L engine NA engine. Not bad at all...

whitespider
02-03-2013, 04:42 PM
over hear.

Must... Resist.. Temptation...

n0rp
02-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Beamer > video projector

Beamers
"Beamer" is a word used in European countries that is synonymous with "projector." A European beamer has the same standard equipment and serves the same purposes as an American projector.

HyperMatrix
02-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Beamer > video projector

Beamers
"Beamer" is a word used in European countries that is synonymous with "projector." A European beamer has the same standard equipment and serves the same purposes as an American projector.

That's what I figured you may have meant when I noticed you're from Sweden.

Shadman
02-04-2013, 05:31 PM
That may be in Canada, but you try coming here in sunny southern California and that isn't the case at all. Soooo many people own BMWs, from the higher end M5 even to the poor city neighboring nearby with the 'gangstas' and their low end BMWs riced out. Sad really. And most don't speak much English too (or properly).

Crackatoah
02-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Loads of BMW's here too.

Cars are a bit different in the UK though, allot of people dont really care for anything great, most people like to use modern small city cars or just average modern cars, all about small engines when petrol is so expensive

Pleiades
02-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Cars are a bit different in the UK though, allot of people dont really care for anything great, most people like to use modern small city cars or just average modern cars, all about small engines when petrol is so expensive

Ja, my last car was a Mitzi Colt with only 3 cylinders and less than 1000cc displacement :o, loved it though.

Crackatoah
02-05-2013, 05:24 AM
Lol yeh, 30℅ off the cars I see on the road here are small 1ltr ones. We actually have a vw up, its pretty fun to drive actually.

Pleiades
02-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Andddd wrenching the (necro) thread back OT:

Got the Philips AmBx working on Win 8 using same instructions as per 7: http://www.ambx.com/wiki/Installation.

It's not picking up applications automatically like before tho... :(