PDA

View Full Version : Wanna up your game?

HyperMatrix
01-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Run this app. Hit Maximum. Keep it open while you game. This is a followup to Whitespider's suggestion to disable high precision event timer.800

BlackOctagon
01-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Tantalising...what exactly does this do?

HyperMatrix
01-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Tantalising...what exactly does this do?

Ups the windows timer making it more responsive. Potentially helps with frame perception and responsiveness. I noticed at the Planetside 2 menu that I would get a 10% FPS boost, though in game I'd lose about 3% FPS. Haven't tested with other games as I haven't played anything but Planetside 2 the last month. Haha. Also do Whitespider's recommendation of disabling high precision event timer.

NoVa
01-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Since bcdedit doesn't exist on my version of Windows, maybe I will disable the "High Precision Event Timer" from within my BIOS (ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM)
HPET already seems to be disabled in Windows by looking at this program called "WinTimerTester".

Edit: On second thoughts, I'm no longer able to get into the BIOS at all. Just shows a black screen with no picture.

whitespider
01-17-2013, 02:00 PM
After extensive testing, that application worsens my frame perception while giving me a small boost in framerate and menu loading times. To test, I re-enabled high precision event timer in the bios and ran the application.

Then i disabled high precision event timer in the bios, and ran the app. I had the same lesser frame perception. Then i disabled the app, and restarted - keeping high precision event timer disabled. And everything was back to smooth.

I would much rather have a smoother "90fps" in game XXX than a less smooth "90.06fps" and a menu that loads a few microseconds faster.

This is just my system however, feel free to try it on your own. For me, disabling high precision event timer in the bios is STILL the thing that does wonders for me.

NoVa
01-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Well isn't that strange. I can't see the BIOS on my Catleap Monitor. I had to plug in my old BenQ XL2410T Monitor to see it...Wtf?!
Sometimes having funny ideas works..

Anyway, I've disabled HPET in the BIOS. But I've yet to test some games...Lacking sleep..lol

Crackatoah
01-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Well isn't that strange. I can't see the BIOS on my Catleap Monitor. I had to plug in my old BenQ XL2410T Monitor to see it...Wtf?!
Sometimes having funny ideas works..

Anyway, I've disabled HPET in the BIOS. But I've yet to test some games...Lacking sleep..lol

Normal for Korean monitors, allot of people have this problem depending on their graphics card, works fine for me but I know its a common problem.