PDA

View Full Version : What have you learnt about computer hardware in the past 5-8 years.

whitespider
05-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Knowing about computer hardware does not happen instantly the moment you 'touch' a computer. We might get a little annoyed when someone asks something obvious that we know about in great detail, what we sometimes forget is that 'at some point' we where that very person.

In the past 5+ years, what important info have you picked up that's helped you make better decisions when it comes to computer hardware or even computer software/function?

Me:

The importance of quality cpu coolant being less relevant to cooling than it is to system stability (past 2 years)

Amd microstutter being very real (past 1 year)

How features on a motherboard are great, however the build quality of the thing trumps most features - - because that truly factors into system stability on a level I never considered (past year)

Not listening to professional reviews and being convinced by them. And listening to actual user feedback instead. Because reviews can often be biased, and they don't deal with the day-to-day issues, the drivers in the long term, etc. (also, learning to quickly identify relentless fanboys and ignore them in favor or objective people) (Past 2 years)

The price of things usually factors into their lasting power. And sure, that's easy to guess. It's another thing to KNOW it. (Past 2 years)

Being aware of every single .exe file and it's purpose, function, and hooks on my system. So I can avoid clutter-lag. (Past 5 years)

And lot's of other things. That's enough to get the ball rolling however.

warnold007
05-10-2012, 04:14 AM
That a good PSU matters... and matters a lot... :)
BSODs, hangs, crashes and faults can be caused by poor power supply unit...

It only dawned on me a few years back (~4 years ago) that the reason I was failing to burn DVDs with my computer from around 8 years ago (yeah... I said burning DVDs... haha... does anyone still 'burn'?), was cause my PSU cannot handle the load when I plug in all my HDDs and periperals. Plus the fans I put in to cool my rig!
I wasted so many blank DVDs thinking it was because I bought cheap medium, but now I know it was coz of my generic 300W psu... yuck! I wasn't able to figure out what the problem was back then...

As I went to build high-end and better rigs... I learned the importance more and more... No no to cheapo PSUs for good and stable builds... :)

Now I have am 80+ 950W PSU! And I'm still worried it might not be enough for my Radeon TriFire... haha...

mav451
05-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Haha more like the past 10 years.

#1. The difference between P95 stable and 3D stable is substantial. Without 3D (i.e. gaming) loads, you can't hope to have any real-world capable OCs. Sorry if I sound preachy, but this is my own major complaint when people are boastful and proud of their suicide screens.

I mean congrats - you have a picture. What does the picture do? Nothing. *PS - I'm well aware this includes the helium 8Ghz+ OC recently for the BD hehe.
3D stable is the only real-world relevant OC and that's something I made a point of using from that point on.

The reason I bring this up is b/c I used to be a young, immature OCer and thought that bringing a P95-only stable OC to a LAN was a smart idea. To get an age on this, I was using an ATi 8500LE and an 2500 XP-M at the time....oh man I was so stupid then.