PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting problems.

Dawgdoc
02-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Having some problems with my current gaming rig. Specs are the following:

CPU: I5-3570k @ approx 4.5 Ghz (at work can check details when home)
Mobo: P877Z77 Deluxe
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000
GPU: EVGA 04G-P4-3685-KR GeForce GTX 680 FTW Standard, w/Backplate 4GB
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 512GB SD
PSU: Corsair HX850X
Display: Yamakasi Catleap @ 110hz, - 2nd monitor 22' Samsung @60 hz.

The problem I am having is IMMENSE intermittent FPS drop. It happens regularly and routinely like 10 or 20 times per hour (or more!) I typically run most games at 110 hz and achieve anywhere from 50 FPS to 110 FPS depending on graphical settings. Its amazingly frustrating to have a nearly new, high end machine but have piss poor performance like I do when playing games :( When this problem happens I drop to 5 or 6 FPS for about 10 seconds, then it bounces back to the max it was previosly

I am Prime 95 stable for 24 hours, which leads me to believe that my CPU and RAM are not the problem.

I have run several GPU benchmarks with no crashes, no BSODs, or display driver not responding/etc. These have run for 4 to 6 hours with no issues.

I have gamed intensely and regular with my 2nd monitor displaying the windows resource monitor to try to figure out where the problem might be, with no obvious answers.

How do I go about stress testing further to try to figure out where the problem is at?

Could it be my network? My ISP having connection issues to my home? How do I test this? I Speedtest and get good results, but what if the problem is intermittent?

Could it be my SSD? Read/write times appear to be appropriate.

Could it somehow be related to running 1 monitor at 110hz?

Could it be something else?

Im lost on how to figure this out from here.

Thanks in advance.

n0rp
02-07-2013, 11:13 AM
I suppose u went into bios to OC ur proc manually.. i never really liked 3th party tools that switch to different power modes?
Prime 95 stable for 24H shouldn't be a temperature related problem. But u can try this tool called HWiNFO32/64 (http://www.hwinfo.com) that will give u all kind of hardware information and diagnostic tools. Try to log ur voltages and tempratures and see if u might find anything odd..

Dawgdoc
02-07-2013, 11:20 AM
I suppose u went into bios to OC ur proc manually.. i never really liked 3th party tools that switch to different power modes?
Prime 95 stable for 24H shouldn't be a temperature related problem. But u can try this tool called HWiNFO32/64 (http://www.hwinfo.com) that will give u all kind of hardware information and diagnostic tools. Try to log ur voltages and tempratures and see if u might find anything odd..

Thanks for the reply.

Temps are 100% NOT the problem. I monitor temps regularly and have all aftermarket cooling. No temp issues at all.

Ive used HWiNFO and not found it helpful for this problem unfortunately.

n0rp
02-07-2013, 11:28 AM
So what does your computer actually do those 10 seconds when it is dropped does ur cpu gpu and mem drop in usage too?

Tried different drivers. Tried to disable ur oc's? Have u run memtest?

Crackatoah
02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
run CPU Z and monitor your CPU's frequency.

Then run prime95 and see if your CPU is throttling (not staying at 4.5ghz), because it sounds like it is, try this just to rule that out.

Dawgdoc
02-07-2013, 12:42 PM
run CPU Z and monitor your CPU's frequency.

Then run prime95 and see if your CPU is throttling (not staying at 4.5ghz), because it sounds like it is, try this just to rule that out.

When I ran my stress test (about 1 week ago) with P95 there was no throttling from what I recall. Whenever I P95 I ALWAYS have CPU-Z open and dont recall anything out of the ordinary. I will try again tonight when Im home from work to confirm that.

So what does your computer actually do those 10 seconds when it is dropped does ur cpu gpu and mem drop in usage too?

Tried different drivers. Tried to disable ur oc's? Have u run memtest?

What does it do? It "stutters' with low FPS. I have indeed disabled OC's and thats not the problem. I have not run memtest because P95 blend test was stable, which at least on the surface to me means that the memory is not likely an issue. Agree/Disagree on that?

n0rp
02-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Agrea.

Sneaky
02-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Could be a driver issue Dawg, do a driver sweep and get rid of anything Nvidia then do a fresh install ... worth a try ;)

Shadman
02-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Is your graphics card overclocked? Does this happen in every game?

Dawgdoc
02-07-2013, 08:47 PM
P95 with CPU-Z open and NO throttling. Steady mhz.

Did a driversweeper/CC cleaner/registry fix full clean install of 310.90 WHQL and the problem is unchanged.

This happens in every game EXCEPT League of Legends, which apparently has some really minimal resource requirements. Every single other game I get this FPS drop and it is worsening regularly.

My CPU is prime 95 stable for 24 hours and P95 test was a blend, so I assume my memory is good as well. I have NOT memtested, but will prob try this weekend unless i figure out another source the problem.

My GPU is stable for 4 hours (max time tested didnt crash or anything) under a variety of benchmark/stability programs including Heaven, Furmark, 3D01 nature loop (im old skewl rawr), and MSI Kombustor.

CPU and GPU temps are appropriate at all times.

WTF is left? My storage, my internet/ISP, or something odd related to either Toasty's patch or other weirdo 120hz (110hz in this case - my standard desktop hz) or other problem?

What am I missing?

Or have I made some bad assumptions along the way such as skipping memtest or something else?

Frustrating......

ToastyX
02-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Honestly, it sounds like a motherboard problem to me.

Could it be my SSD? Read/write times appear to be appropriate.
Make sure you have the SATA controller driver installed.

Dawgdoc
02-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Make sure you have the SATA controller driver installed.

Toasty...I dont even....

Just wtf....

Testing now after installing driver. Thats just.....weird Toasty. If you werent ToastyX id say that was some random weirdass shot in the dark Houdini bullshit you just pulled there on me...

Hopefuly thats the issue. Odd, since I know I installed this when I built the computer a few months ago, specifically checked device manager after I was done installing everything, and check device manager regularly. Admittedly at this point its not as regular as my personal perception goes.. Also the problems just started recently too which I find a little off as well as I specifically benched my SSD with AS SSD and 1 other program to insure it was running properly after the build/etc...Hmm...

Just...wtf Toasty? rofl! Hopefully its this and not the mobo but thats just....wow.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj5/Dawgdoc999/trouble2nd_zps2e737db8.jpg

Dawgdoc
02-07-2013, 10:03 PM
The plot thickens.......

http://www.overclock.net/t/1286146/ssd-controller-action-message#post_17793810

Scroll to the top of that link if you decide to read it. Not really that long the entire thread is maybe 10 posts.

Gotta hit a gaming session and run thru all the things that were highlighting the problem.

Im really hoping this is it....

Dawgdoc
02-07-2013, 11:28 PM
So far seems to be good. There is a wee bit of choppiness now and again (very slight) when panning the camera in GW2 very very rarely but its nothing like the repetitive stutter and FPS drop like I was having previously. Its so slight by the time I look at fraps or the resource monitor its gone. More game time needed to see for sure and in different games.

Just in case Toasty, if this doesnt 100% solve the problem, you think the next most likely culprit would be the mobo? If it doesnt go away I have no issues with swapping out the mobo and doing a clean reinstall.

What specifically makes you think it could be the mobo? Im interested.

Dawgdoc
02-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Ok well problem is NOT resolved :(

I guess the mobo is the next likely culprit at this time?

Shadman
02-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Even though your overclocks pass the stress tests, do you still get it at stock clocks? Mainly, GPU?

And if you wanted, you could always try doing a fresh install to see if it's Windows. You could even just install to a separate partition temporarily.

Fimconte
02-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Have you considered a bad SATA cable/port/connection?

I had wierd issues with my 3 TB drive, it would disconnect sometimes overnight.
Hard Disk Sentinel showed: "Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 257 times."

After swapping the cable, that counter hasn't increased and I've had no more disconnects. So I'm inclined to believe my issue was related to the cable.

Dawgdoc
02-17-2013, 09:53 PM
So far, still experiencing this problem no matter anything I have tried.

As for the aforementioned lack of Marvel SATA driver after reviewing some build notes and old posts, I disabled the Marvell SATA port because I was exclusively using the Intel SATA port. I must have changed the BIOS setting to enable it at some point and not realized it.

Prime 95 Stable at overclock of approx 4500 mhz for 24ish hours
Variety of GPU stability tests stable (as previously mentioned) for many hours on each one.
Ram Memtest for approx 12 hours (4 passes) with 0 errors reported.
Swapped out both the 6.0Gb/s SATA cable, AND used the other Intel 6.0Gb/s SATA port.
Still experiencing the problem at both stock and overclocked settings.
Speedtest shows me downloading at 60, uploading at 8, with no ping or other issues that are apparent.

Im at a total loss. No clue what to do at this point.

I guess my next step will be to try single monitor on the 22 in LG completely removing the catleap, 120hz, and ToastyX patcher and see if that does anything?

Might try to bring the work comp home and connect to my home network (wired) and see if the problem reproduces itself on another computer, thereby isolating it to my internet connection?

After that, clean reinstall.

If thats a no go, I guess Ill swap out the mobo? I dunno...Im just flat out stumped. Maybe Ill try to fraps a min or 2 of it and see what ppl think as well.

Dawgdoc
02-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Well quick update, messing with some in game settings for JUST Guild Wars 2, by downgrading reflections for the last 10 or 15 mins the problem is 100% gone.

FPS up to 110 (desktop hz), with some occasional drops to 90FPS.

Is it possible that a 680GTX 4gb just isnt powerful enough to run a 2560x1440p Catleap and a 2nd 22" 60hz on the side?

I just cant imagine the IMMENSE performance drops I am seeing are just from that?

Shadman
02-18-2013, 04:41 AM
My buddy's old GTX260 gave weird performance issues when he had a 1200p and a 720p monitor both plugged in. I thought they fixed it with Fermi though, so I'm not sure if that really helps.

Forgive me if this was said already, but is it fine when just the catleap is plugged in without the other monitor?

Dawgdoc
02-18-2013, 09:32 AM
My buddy's old GTX260 gave weird performance issues when he had a 1200p and a 720p monitor both plugged in. I thought they fixed it with Fermi though, so I'm not sure if that really helps.

Forgive me if this was said already, but is it fine when just the catleap is plugged in without the other monitor?

Hyper suggested it could be mixing and matching 120hz (110hz in this case) and 60hz monitors.

Ive tried using the Catleap alone, but not with a full complete video driver install with just the Catleap, which Im going to be trying tonight to see what effect it has.

Dawgdoc
02-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Uninstalled video drivers, unplugged the 2nd monitor, performed clean re-install of latest Nvidia driver (314.07) and no change at all either at 60 hz, or 120hz after ToastyX patch.

I guess all it really can be is the motherboard at this point?

Again...in summary

CPU - 3570K - P95 24hr stable at 4.5 ghz and experiencing problem at both stock and overclocked settings
Memory - 4 x 4 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series - memtest stable 0 errors after 4 passes (roughly 12 hrs)
GPU - EVGA 680GTX FTW LE 4gb, stable for 3 or 4 hrs in a variety of stability tests. Experiencing problem at both OC and stock settings
Storage - OCZ Vertex 4 - AS SSD benchmarks on target with other users, as well as switched SATA cable, and switched to alternate intel 6gb/s SATA port.
Network - Speedtest testing looks great. Not sure how else to check network stability?

So what am I left with here?

Faulty mobo? Faulty SSD? Network issue?

Something else?

Driving me batshit crazy...

Guess the next steps are

1. Clean reinstall windows and see what happens.

2. Replace mobo

3. If problem still persists replace SSD? (ouch that SOB was over $500!)

4. Shoot self in head?

Fimconte
02-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Try the Marvell SATA ports?

Dawgdoc
02-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Try the Marvell SATA ports?

No thats not it. First off, the Marvel SATA ports are SIGNIFICANTLY inferior to the Intel SATA ports, both in theory and in practice.

Ive tried them several times, and they perform at perhaps 30%-40% of what the Intel SATA ports perform at.

Shadman
02-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Yeah I wouldn't use the Marvell ports if you could help it.

There are a few small things it could be, but I'm pretty darn sure it's a bad motherboard.

Trust me, I came to this conclusion wearing jalapeno pjs.

Dawgdoc
02-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Well, somewhat interesting/promising development.

Played around with the timings on the Catleap.

Was able to both up the OC to 120hz (from 110hz) and it appears the problem is either better or resolved. Only tested for 5 mins but so far so good.

Edit: Blue horizontal lines in League of Legends at 120hz. Will test the other games that were giving me the issue/problem later with the new timings and see if I get the FPS drop again.

Any suggestions on timings? We have a thread here already with that info?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj5/Dawgdoc999/catleaptimings_zps1632ca8a.jpg

Dawgdoc
03-03-2013, 08:41 PM
So after all is said and done, to my IMMENSE surprise the problem appears to have been my video card.

I purchased a new 680 GTX today (http://www.microcenter.com/product/398342/04G-P4-2686-KR_NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_680_with_Backplate_4096MB_GD DR5_PCIe_30_x16_Video_Card) and replaced my previous 680 (3685KR, 4gb FTW LE model).

Now I am getting a solid UNWAVERING 120hz in League of Legends, both with the Catleap alone as well as with my 22" LG 60hz monitor alongside it.

Guild Wars 2 appears to be much smoother and without the previous problems, but I do still get some lag and slight FPS drops. TBH I havnt played enough since putting the new GPU in to say anything definitive.

Since all benchmarks were working 100% normally and I was unable to produce any artifacts, freezes, unresponsiveness of Nvidia drivers, or any other problems with any stability or benchmarking programs Im at a loss on how else to compare or prove if the problems are solved other than simply replaying the same games that gave me issues and seeing if I subjectively feel its better.

So far, it seems like a no brainer that its better.

Good thing EVGA has such an awesome RMA process! Looks like Im going 680 SLI after all once I get my RMA'd 680.

Sneaky
03-03-2013, 09:19 PM
I had a feeling it was the GPU.

BlackOctagon
03-04-2013, 12:11 AM
Wahoo

Dawgdoc
03-04-2013, 01:17 PM
I had a feeling it was the GPU.

Yup you said that previously. What specifically made you think it was the GPU?