PDA

View Full Version : 3770k@5GHz - NEED YOUR HELP!

HyperMatrix
02-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Ok, so my brand new 5GHz 3770k arrived. Fantastic. Loads into windows at 1.4 but I'm doing 1.41 just to be safe in the voltage requirements department. Under unrealistic full 100% load intelburntest the maximum it hits is 85c on one core. The lower core is at 74c. I'm expecting temps to drop a few when the thermal paste cures over the next few days. If not, I'll switch to an H100i or other cooler (will have to review them) to get a few degrees off the temp.

Anyway...my problem. Windows loads fine. I'm playing Planetside 2 now and there are no issues. But running intel burn test is spotty. And the errors I get are page fault error, memory execute error, and another one I forget now. Anyway...what I'm thinking is that it's an issue with my memory not being suitable for overclocking. I'm using XMS3 7-8-7-20 1600 memory. The problem with it...is that it's a 1.7v chip. So I'm trying to find out if my 5GHz OC is unstable and causing these errors, or if they're really just likely caused by my ram. And if so...what's the best ram I should get for performance/stability.

Thanks guys!

HyperMatrix
02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
These are 2 of the errors:

"Attempted Execute of Non-Execute Memory"
"Page fault in nonpaged area"

Need to know if they're related to unstable CPU, or unstable memory.

jedi95
02-21-2013, 04:48 PM
These are 2 of the errors:

"Attempted Execute of Non-Execute Memory"
"Page fault in nonpaged area"

Need to know if they're related to unstable CPU, or unstable memory.

In my experience, these are more likely to be RAM than CPU.

Try lowering your multiplier to something like 46x or 48x where it should be stable and run the test again. If it still fails, it's probably the RAM. If it's stable, then the CPU isn't stable at 5Ghz with the settings you were using.

Crackatoah
02-21-2013, 04:55 PM
By the way, have you de lidded the CPU and replaces the thermal paste?

HyperMatrix
02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
By the way, have you de lidded the CPU and replaces the thermal paste?

Purchased it delidded already.

whitespider
02-21-2013, 05:10 PM
I am running 4.8, the moment I enter into 5 territory I get a smorgasbord of errors over time. Not when gaming, mostly while opening chrome tabs and the like.

HyperMatrix
02-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Looking at picking up some of these:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589

Good idea or bad idea for my 5GHz OC?

HyperMatrix
02-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Well I've done a couple hours of encoding without any failures. I used to get them once in a while on my old chip at 4.6GHz. Unless someone tells me I shouldn't do it, I'm going to pick up a few sticks of the ram linked above. After seeing some benchmark stats...sounds like I'd really see some nice gains going from 1600 to 2400+.

Shadman
02-22-2013, 08:50 AM
You may or may not be better off getting these:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231641

I think your pair would be perfectly fine, however.

Thats great to hear you're not getting any errors during encoding, but it is odd you got errors before for that, but not in games, but vice versa now with this chip.

HyperMatrix
02-22-2013, 08:57 AM
You may or may not be better off getting these:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231641

I think your pair would be perfectly fine, however.

Thats great to hear you're not getting any errors during encoding, but it is odd you got errors before for that, but not in games, but vice versa now with this chip.

Well I cranked up the video encoding and it would crash when CPU would go over 70% average use. So the issue is present. Would *appear* as though it's due to low voltage? Going to get the new ram to make sure that's not an issue. And also because it's faster ram. Then I'll see about voltage. It's at 1.41v right now. Guy I bought it from had it running at 1.4v. So I don't see why I'd need to go higher.

And that ram with the fans is ridiculous...lol. 2400 is enough for me. Thinking of going 32GB as well, so 4x 8gb.

Shadman
02-22-2013, 09:01 AM
If you're not too busy, want to hop on Steam/Origin?

And yeah, I would try the new memory first. Alot of memory might not be able to run alongside the big boys like that. Or, it might even be a limitation on the IMC, in which case you might need to lower the OC on the memory a tad. Unfortunate, but with better RAM you should definitely be able to tell.

EniGmA1987
02-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Just because the CPU runs at 5GHz with 1.4v on one persons machine doesnt mean it will be the same everywhere. The motherboard's power delivery would be different on someone elses motherboard, and the person may have been using different levels of LLC. And do you know if that 1.4v was done using set vcore or offset voltage to get the right settings? Cause that makes a difference too. And keeping the CPU below a certain temp also makes a difference because it is harder to maintain stability at higher temps. Personally, I feel 85c is too hot. I dont like to ever hit above 80.

Shadman
02-22-2013, 09:27 AM
He was sold both, so its the same motherboard and CPU.

Also agree, 85C on Ivy would be about 7C more than I'd want. Get yourself real watercooling Hyper, direct mount that shit!

whitespider
02-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Speaking of cpu's. Crysis 3 is one of the first games that I have seen that definitively needs more than 4 logical cores at it's utmost setting limit. Oh yeah, it's also from three to six times more demanding than the multiplayer beta was.

HyperMatrix
02-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Speaking of cpu's. Crysis 3 is one of the first games that I have seen that definitively needs more than 4 logical cores at it's utmost setting limit. Oh yeah, it's also from three to six times more demanding than the multiplayer beta was.

No. It runs fine.

On a more serious note...I hate CPU-Calculated Shadows. Instead of wasting time on PhysX, Nvidia should have worked on ShadeX.

HyperMatrix
02-22-2013, 09:45 AM
He was sold both, so its the same motherboard and CPU.

Also agree, 85C on Ivy would be about 7C more than I'd want. Get yourself real watercooling Hyper, direct mount that shit!

IntelBurnTest is unrealistic heat numbers. It's hotter than running Prime95. That's why they say not to use it. But I like to do the extra stress test to find stability now. Regardless of that, my goal is to be no more than 80C at maximum load. On idle it's at 28c-36c depending on the core. This is with it running at 1.42v. At full blast it ranges from 78c to 88c per core. That's...a rather large variance. I'm going to have to re-seat the heatsink. If I can get the CPU stable, which is the primary concern, I'll upgrade to either a Corsair H100i with even faster fans, or the Swiftech H220. But yeah. Heat is secondary to it actually working first. :P Sort of. I don't want someone to come and tell me that the heat is what could be causing it to not work. Because I've had it cause errors in programs even when at 70% use (60-65c temps).

The 1.42v so far *seems* to be running better. Ran 2 rounds of IntelBurnTest, with temps ranging from 78c-88c per core as I mentioned. No errors. However...while it was running, I was browsing around in internet explorer, and it caused internet explorer to crash a few times. Not sure if that's normal to happen while running a hardcore stress test.

HyperMatrix
02-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Just because the CPU runs at 5GHz with 1.4v on one persons machine doesnt mean it will be the same everywhere. The motherboard's power delivery would be different on someone elses motherboard, and the person may have been using different levels of LLC. And do you know if that 1.4v was done using set vcore or offset voltage to get the right settings? Cause that makes a difference too. And keeping the CPU below a certain temp also makes a difference because it is harder to maintain stability at higher temps. Personally, I feel 85c is too hot. I dont like to ever hit above 80.

I bought it with an Asus Maximus 4 Extreme. I'm running it on my Maximus 5 Extreme. I don't know his settings. I am not an overclocking pro, believe it or not (where are my emotes?). Anything I do know is just from a lot of trial and error. I'm just trying to play it safe because I had a bad habit of upping the voltage too much on previous generation cpu's. I had my 2600k at 1.52v for 4.8ghz. So I was hoping to figure out the issue and try to fine tune it instead of trying to throw voltage at the problem, hoping it goes away. :P

Shadman
02-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Whoops, didn't realize you changed motherboards.

Also, I believe IE crashing may have been from Intel Burn Test. But I'd advise going with Prime if you want to further check stability. Intel is good for a quick look, but to be absolutely sure, Prime is the way to go. Even though Intel gets hotter. Many people, over at OCN and myself, have found this.

Your temps are fine then. Fine, being subjective ;) Because its Winter now. Who knows how much higher they will be in the next few months ;)

One thing about Overclocking is try not to lie to yourself. If a test comes up and shows that your CPU is unstable, don't mark it off as a fluke. That is why Battlefield always pisses me off. It usually catches stuff I may miss, crashing the game repeatedly on an otherwise good-looking CPU or GPU overclock.

EDIT: Damn Hyper, triple post. You don't take no shit from anybody. Also, emotes are in the advanced writer :cool:

Shadman
02-22-2013, 10:01 AM
At first I read this as this:

Instead of wasting time on PhysX, Nvidia should have worked on ShadX.

Was a little confused.

HyperMatrix
02-22-2013, 10:18 AM
At first I read this as this:

Was a little confused.

Well, you would be a lot more enjoyable in a gpu accelerated package. Then it wouldn't take you 10 months to jump on the 120Hz bandwagon. :P

Shadman
02-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Haha hey, I'm messing around with settings right now, I think I'm rocketing over to the 134Hz bandwagon ;)

EDIT: as long as everything is okay and I'm not a crazy person doing it wrong.

EniGmA1987
02-22-2013, 05:19 PM
These will help you when overclocking:

BSOD Codes for SandyBridge/IvyBridge
0x124 = add/remove vcore or QPI/VTT voltage (usually Vcore, once it was QPI/VTT)
0x101 = add more vcore
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency add DDR3 voltage or add QPI/VTT
0x1E = add more vcore
0x3B = add more vcore
0xD1 = add QPI/VTT voltage
“0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances”
0X109 = add DDR3 voltage
0x0A = add QPI/VTT voltage

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/9168/volts.png
^^^^ The max settings would be for short benchmark/WR runs or suicide runs.

If using offset voltage then leave the power saving options and such enabled. To just start out you should disable all these options and use fixed vcore instead.

You should also attempt to find out the settings used from the person you bought these from. THe important parts would be LLC setting, what type of voltage is used, idle vcore and load vcore, and max current settings.

HyperMatrix
02-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Win8 has no more bsod codes, unfortunately. :( I currently have it fully stable at 5GHz with HT off. But no go with HT turned back on. That is a handy guide. Once I figure out how to get Win8 to show proper BSOD codes, will come in very handy. My stability test is Virtual Dub video encoding. Because encoding is so sensitive that the slightest thing will cause the program to crash. Even when intelburntest and prime95 are giving you a green light. 10 minutes of full load 100% encoding with HT off. Core temperatures range from 67c to 72c max. If it goes the 35 minutes without a crash....then at least I'll have one set of stable settings. Even if it is with HT off.

Fimconte
02-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Btw, have you found a way to get decent frames in large battles for PS2?

Whatever I do, I can't get above 30-40 in large zergs.

HyperMatrix
02-26-2013, 06:36 PM

Hah...funny you should say that. Uploading my ultra-performance guide for PS2 right now. :)

HyperMatrix
02-26-2013, 09:52 PM

Thread/Video are up! http://120hz.net/showthread.php?1535-Planetside-2-Ultra-Performance-Guide-720p