PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Catleap and....wow

legalis
05-14-2012, 05:04 AM
I just got my Catleap (Perth, Australia) and putting it side by side next to my old Samsung 2493 (voted best gaming 24" monitor in the world the year I bought it) and just....wow. It looks likes some one has pissed on my Samsung it is so yellow compared to the Catleap. Didn't realise just how different the color was between a TN and IPS, even the best quality TN in the samsung. I havent even got to OC yet and I well and truly got my money's worth. Haven't checked for pixel issues yet, but none on a bright white screen. Stand as wobbly as everyone says but as long as I don't touch it its all good. I can notice a slightly bright right side, but nothing too serious.

Junkboy
05-14-2012, 05:11 AM
I just got my Catleap (Perth, Australia) and putting it side by side next to my old Samsung 2493 (voted best gaming 24" monitor in the world the year I bought it) and just....wow. It looks likes some one has pissed on my Samsung it is so yellow compared to the Catleap. Didn't realise just how different the color was between a TN and IPS, even the best quality TN in the samsung. I havent even got to OC yet and I well and truly got my money's worth. Haven't checked for pixel issues yet, but none on a bright white screen. Stand as wobbly as everyone says but as long as I don't touch it its all good. I can notice a slightly bright right side, but nothing too serious.

Congrats, the difference is pretty big and most people who don't have one don't realize how big. The only problem is now you won't want to go back in case anything happens to it. Mine should be here later today so I'll feel your joy later. :D

legalis
05-14-2012, 05:29 AM
Update, I tested the pixels, 0 Pixels faulty. Wonder if these batch are checked by the factory or I'm just lucky? Some meaningful white bleeding on the monitor in bottom right and bottom center and a little but centre top. Not sure how it will affect my gaming, but suppose will only be noticeable in dark games. The pic taken was on a fullscreen pixel check website page, supposed to be pure black

Jrule2
05-14-2012, 05:51 AM
You're lucky! I live in the Perth hills and watched a white courier van come down my street, stop about 300 meters from my house ( I was outside at the time) and then turn around and leave after sitting there for about 3 minutes. Needless to say my monitor didn't arrive today. Sounds like people have been quite lucky in terms of dead pixels so far (don't mean to jinx it :P ).

waperboy
05-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Update, I tested the pixels, 0 Pixels faulty. Wonder if these batch are checked by the factory or I'm just lucky? Some meaningful white bleeding on the monitor in bottom right and bottom center and a little but centre top. Not sure how it will affect my gaming, but suppose will only be noticeable in dark games. The pic taken was on a fullscreen pixel check website page, supposed to be pure black

If the picture is representative, it looks like quite a serious issue? The worst case of bleed I think I've ever seen...

HyperMatrix
05-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Yeah legalis I'm really hoping it looks extra bad because of the camera/lighting/angles. Because from what I see...I see areas of pure white on a black screen? Which is impossible. And there have been no cases of anything even close to that on any of the korea monitors.

legalis
05-14-2012, 06:23 AM
Its not that bad, definatley one of the worst Ive seen but certainly not as bright as the picture makes out. Good news is Powerstrip seems to allow my 4870x2 to OC to 100hz so far, no idea how you can tell whether is actually is 100hz or not...Now to try 120hZ. Ive attached a better picture of the backlight with no lights on

legalis
05-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Well, got the 4870x2 to 120hz :) No artifacts in Path of Exile so far

goji
05-14-2012, 06:33 AM
I hope to god mine has a few dead pixels and minimum lighting issues.

HyperMatrix
05-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Well, got the 4870x2 to 120hz :) No artifacts in Path of Exile so far

120hz should be impossible on the 4870. I've heard cases of people thinking they've actually hit a certain refresh rate with powerstrip, then realizing it was never achieved. Please confirm by enabling Vertical Sync and checking your framerate when you're in a game.

If you're getting 120fps with vsync on, that'd be new. I happen to also have a 4870 sitting around that I can cross-check your data with later.

Also an easy way to check is here: http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

Select a framerate higher than 60 and it'll ask you if you'd like to lookup your refresh rate through Java. Works for me. But Vsync is your best/most reliable test.

legalis
05-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Ok, complety confused. Powerstrip says 89FPS, Java Aplet say 59 and my Path of Exile says 60 :( Im not sure how you check with Vsync. I have turned it on in my catalyst but dont know how you can tell.

Vega
05-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Taking pictures of back-light bleed is pointless and never accurate.

legalis
05-14-2012, 07:25 AM
True Vega, very hard to tell by photos. I loaded Dragon Age 2 up, if I have powerstrip running anything other than default 60hz I get lines all through the screen. Maybe I just should wait till I get my Nvidia cards in the future. Just tried COD as well, same flickering and lines through the screen at anything over 60Hz

Davion
05-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Damn.. I'm in Perth too and mine says Delivery Arranged no details expected. Hopefully will get it tomorrow.....

Vega
05-14-2012, 07:47 AM
True Vega, very hard to tell by photos. I loaded Dragon Age 2 up, if I have powerstrip running anything other than default 60hz I get lines all through the screen. Maybe I just should wait till I get my Nvidia cards in the future. Just tried COD as well, same flickering and lines through the screen at anything over 60Hz

Lines through the screen? Sounds like maybe your GPU.

Vega
05-14-2012, 07:59 AM
120hz should be impossible on the 4870. I've heard cases of people thinking they've actually hit a certain refresh rate with powerstrip, then realizing it was never achieved. Please confirm by enabling Vertical Sync and checking your framerate when you're in a game.

If you're getting 120fps with vsync on, that'd be new. I happen to also have a 4870 sitting around that I can cross-check your data with later.

Also an easy way to check is here: http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

Select a framerate higher than 60 and it'll ask you if you'd like to lookup your refresh rate through Java. Works for me. But Vsync is your best/most reliable test.

That's a pretty cool App Hyper. I put one of the Moons on 120 FPS, 0 motion blur and 2000 pixels/sec and it's crystal clear! On my FW900 that is. ;) CRT still the win for motion.

BizzyBum
05-15-2012, 05:52 PM
WOW.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts about this monitor.

Went from a 23" 1920x1080 60Hz Samsung TN to the Catleap and it's like my Samsung was meant for "Babies First PC". It's huge, the colors are brilliant, and I OC'd to 100Hz and played a game and it's like... surreal.

All this for $450 bucks? What a steal... many kudos to Hyper, Scribby, and other Admins for setting this up.