PDA

View Full Version : Crysis 3

Crackatoah
02-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Thought I'd make a thread here for this as it is a game aftrerall lol, surprized there isn't already a thread.

Well, we all know that the game is extremely taxing on the very highest end setups.

But if you compare the Low/Medium/High settings to max settings it hardly looks any different.... (relative to the performance cost)

I think the game is just poorly optimized on purpose so they can bring back 'can it run crysis'

Shadman
02-23-2013, 04:04 PM
I think they got full of themselves after the first game released.

Cpt.Teacup
02-23-2013, 04:47 PM
I think they got full of themselves after the first game released.

You can hardly blame them. :p

Crackatoah
02-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Ive also noticed this game has allot of input lag and its very noticeable.

If you put the settings to all low its mostly gone but still there a little,

Ive tried turning off any mouse smoothing ect in the console but it seems its just the way the game is

nocturnal7x
02-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Well any engine with DX11 tacked on is not going to be the most optimized. Also, crytek are infamous for tessellating every object. Look at this garbage lol

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/crysis-2-tessellation-thats-a-good-looking-cement-slab.169967/

Anyway, the game is a console port with shiny crap added :P Also, I loved the first 2 games (crysis and warhead) and they completely abandoned the story and characters (nomad never existed, they killed prophet ect). Really pissed me off, they did it all for the console crowed. The people that made them be damned.

Crackatoah
02-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Yhe I remember Crysis 2 lol.. in half the MP maps they had a tonne of stuff under the ground taking up performance, was retarded :p

HyperMatrix
02-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Is Crysis 3 FPS capped?? I seem to be stuck at 100fps no matter whether everything is on Very High, or on Low. Ok so that was in the training simulator portion. In the actual game, FPS is terrible. -_- With 3 cards, I'm getting 60-90 fps. And the cards are actually running at 90%. CPU at 50%. So GPU bottleneck atm. But still...I'm surprised at how much GPU power it needs with how unimpressive the graphics look.

HyperMatrix
02-23-2013, 09:36 PM
With further testing and setting adjustments, the game is still FPS capped at 100, with 50-70% CPU usage, and around 70-80% GPU usage now. So...is 100fps an actual thing? It didn't exist in the multiplayer beta.

Crackatoah
02-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Is Crysis 3 FPS capped?? I seem to be stuck at 100fps no matter whether everything is on Very High, or on Low. Ok so that was in the training simulator portion. In the actual game, FPS is terrible. -_- With 3 cards, I'm getting 60-90 fps. And the cards are actually running at 90%. CPU at 50%. So GPU bottleneck atm. But still...I'm surprised at how much GPU power it needs with how unimpressive the graphics look.

Yeh this game is garbage as it is...

The graphics look messy, and the performance is poor as hell.

MP performance is ok, its just single player is crap, I get 20-40 fps at max settings and 50-70 at high/medium.

The biggest thing I HATE about this game is the mouse lag, its terrible, I cant play it like this its horrible, tried everything to get rid of it but its a known thing. the only thing that makes it a little less laggy is putting everything on low, I havent pinpointed the setting yet but it may just be the actual game, it sucks lol

HyperMatrix
02-24-2013, 03:16 AM
I'm getting between 75-100fps now through the Ram Drive. But this is while CPU is at under 50% and GPU's range between 30%-80%. So there is an FPS cap. I saw this posted by the dev's regarding setting the FPS cap:

Max FPS Limit
CVar: sys_MaxFps
Recommended to be placed in system.cfg
Limits the frame rate to specified number.
A value of 0 means no limit.
Default is 0
http://www.gamefront.com/crysis-3-pc-developer-console-commands/

The problem is...you can only use it to reduce your max fps. You can't go above 100fps. I just don't understand why they'd do that. At first I thought they made a crappy game that would be rough on systems so it would be good for benchmarking purposes. But...if it can't go above 100fps...then you can't benchmark with it. So I'm not sure what they were thinking.

HyperMatrix
02-24-2013, 03:34 AM
Another update. Got to "Welcome to the Jungle." There's nothing going on. Fairly small map. No enemies. FPS drops to 60-80. GPU's at 40-60%. CPU at 70-90%. Why is there so much CPU usage for all the NOTHING that is happening. -_- Frankly even if SB-E was clock for clock the same as IB, and I had a 5GHz 3930k, that would only take that FPS from 70 to 105. That's still quite poor. There's plenty of disappointment to be had with this game.

HyperMatrix
02-24-2013, 03:35 AM
Huzzah!!!! Found a fix. :) doing article now. :) Provides 20%-30% more FPS and removes input lag!!

Shadman
02-24-2013, 03:49 AM
You are taking too long! The anticipation is killing me!

HyperMatrix
02-24-2013, 04:03 AM
Also wtf...re-enabling high precision event timer removed the 100fps cap. -_- Unless it was some random unrelated coincidence

Crackatoah
02-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Tell me if you find a fix for the mouse lag because im not playing it otherwise lol, it feels worse than Vsync.

Also the FOV of your arms/weapon is extremely low by default, anf once you change the normal FOV in the console or utility it doesnt do anytihngto that, its a separate commond called 'drawnearfov' or something, and when you change it it looks SO much better, but it keeps switching back to normal everytime there si a cut scene.

BTW here is the utility is a must have;
http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/download/file.php?id=2643&sid=60f39d4b6df29dc06111fe1af8d89ec7

It was made by a Crysis dev on their forums, it lets you change things like normal FOV, max FPS limit, other graphics features like colour grading and global illumination ect, just a hole load of stuff

HyperMatrix
02-24-2013, 06:58 AM
Yeah I had that program. Too many things to edit. :P You can also apply all those edits in-game live through console commands to see what you like/dislike. As for my setup, I have 0 mouse/anything lag. Everything is incredibly quick and snappy. Try out what I did with settings in my video.

Crackatoah
02-24-2013, 07:25 AM
I will do thanks, but its a pretty common thing, allot of people are complaining about it, unless you put everything on low/medoum it feels as if Vsync is on with a floaty mouse lag, im yet to see whcih setting actually effects this so I can just put that one on low.

On another note, going back to what I said erlier, can anyone see any major differences with the stting from low-med-high-very high?

http://www.gamereactor.eu/media/26/crysis3minimista_702601b.jpg

(open image in new tab)

All I can see is the draw distance of things really far away is a bit less as the settings go down, but nothing really noticeable and because the game is a corridor shooter it doesn't really make much difference, and I think if you look at the bushes and wall that are far away on the very left side of the pic, I think they are just heavily tessellated on the high settings... (I can hardly see but it looks like they are) and not highly tessellated on the low settings, but the problem is its so far away that you cant see the difference can you.... lol
I think this is the problem with the game, its done on purpose and very poorly optimized.

The only other differences I can see is light shining off different surfaces, but if you look at the very high and low this is just global illumination that is on all of the settings, so the light is just different in each pic, basically its the same in all of them, but on low there is less draw distance so it doesnt dco anything to the building 100 meters away.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/media/26/crysis3minimista_702611b.jpg

Here's another pic, this one shows that from medium to high it hardly looks any different, and the only difference the the low and medium is less detail with the shadows in things that are far away basically they just have less draw distance, but from medium and up everything near you is pretty much the same and the lower draw distance of medium is hardly different to the eyes, low just doesn't have any shadows on things really far away and is missing some smoke effects, everything near again is pretty much the same.

Now, from looking at the pics what is it that makes the fps drop tonnes from low to very high, well all it is tesselation on things extremely far away, which defeats the point of having tessellation in a game... its meant to not tessellate surfaces that are too far away because you cant see the detail anyway, to help improve performance at no visual cost. But in Crysis 3, it tesselates things probably behind you, inder the ground, behing a brick wall, floors and walls 100 meters away ect. Its stupid lol.

The only graphical difference that makes the fps go down as you go up the settings is shadows and draw distance and minor changes in effects as you go up, and maybe slightly less vegetation, that is it.

All it is making the game such a hog is pointless tesselation.

Has anyone tried overriding the tessellation? Maybe using Radeon pro or Nvidia inspector? or is there a console command for it?

BlackOctagon
02-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Why are Crytek so incapable of optimising pc games before launching them? It's so frustrating

Crackatoah
02-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Ok using the Crysis CVar program I linked you can change the tessellation and view distance values, and lots of other stuff.

Also in AMD/Nvidia CP or tool putting tessellation to override and 64x improves performance for some reason but still tessellates.

Crackatoah
02-24-2013, 11:41 AM
After editing the hell out of the game I have it running smooth at a solid 75-100 fps on a single 7970 even in the most demanding parts and it looks like its on high lol.

The mouse lag is gone, im not sure what made it go.

Ill post a pic of the settings when I get a chance.

BlackOctagon
02-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Please do

Crackatoah
02-24-2013, 03:33 PM
First I just set all settings to medium in Crysis then quit the game (with very high textures)
Then downloaded the tool and did this
http://i47.tinypic.com/20htz6c.png

This took literally 5 mins so I havent experimented with other stuff or spent much time on it its just a quick fix, I cant really tell the difference to the graphics but it runs smooth as hell :) lowest its gone is 70 fps, most its between 75-100.

Arauthator
02-26-2013, 09:07 PM
First I just set all settings to medium in Crysis then quit the game (with very high textures)
Then downloaded the tool and did this
Made a screenshot of ride on lawnmowers? :P

The configurator settings are a bit small for me to read, could you make it a little bit larger?

Sneaky
02-27-2013, 01:23 AM
;)

click on image to view larger

donaldchuh
07-11-2014, 10:59 AM
I play this on Xbox 360, since my PC can't handle it. It's not as good looking this, especially in the ourdoor sections, where the details in the distance are less. But I am amazed they managed to cram this title onto the XBox and PS3 (8 year old consoles) and make them look nearly as good when people are not "pixel peeping". Kudos to Crytek for such a scalable engine. I'll be coming back to this title.

ashurjames
10-27-2014, 03:07 PM
I just got this game for my xbox