PDA

View Full Version : Dead Pixels OVER 9000!

techknowfile
05-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Ok, more like over 300, and that unfortunately is not an over-exaggeration. My Catleap is speckled with reds, greens, purples, you name it and there are half a dozen dead/permafrozen pixels to match it.

I hope this warranty procedure isn't a hassle, because I feel a bit robbed :/

Furobins
05-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Look anything like this?

http://i.imgur.com/rZwEq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JLCuf.jpg

basemann42
05-14-2012, 06:35 PM
I wonder are some of the batch being sold available because they were returned with problems. That would make sense why some of the older models were available if they wer bought in Feb and returned and someone in Korea seeing the demand cashes in.

whitespider
05-14-2012, 06:37 PM
I am extremely sorry man. And I sincerely hope this does not happen to more people. Including myself.

120HzNET
05-14-2012, 06:38 PM
These are a new run - not resells.

Please post pics of your pixels. Not to sound like a dick- but you would be the first of hundreds (over a thousand at least) of these panels being reported on since February with this many defective pixels.

techknowfile
05-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Precisely. It's worse along the right side, but there are a consistent amount of colorful evil dots across the screen. Unfortunately, my camera isn't able to take such a clear picture of the pixels, but it shows off the bleed through pretty well -_-
http://i.imgur.com/eGUT5.jpg

edit: scribby, let me grab my other camera to see if it will cooperate with the black screen. 2 minutes

PS obviously not the first, Furobins screen looks quite similar

Furobins
05-14-2012, 06:47 PM
These are a new run - not resells.

Please post pics of your pixels. Not to sound like a dick- but you would be the first of hundreds (over a thousand at least) of these panels being reported on since February with this many defective pixels.

My photos are fairly clear. Maybe not over 9000, but enough to be of concern.

120HzNET
05-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Well with Furobins - I don't see anything from his desktop pic just super close ups with all black. I guess my point is - are these readily apparent with normal viewing? If so, sucks - sorry man. I think Hyper reported months ago he thought his was defective because of a similar look, but realized with normal viewing he couldn't see any of them.

I think Hyper is going to take some shots of his for comparison sake.

techknowfile
05-14-2012, 06:52 PM
@ScribbyDaGreat Here you go: http://i.imgur.com/hubbh.jpg
Oh yes, they are blatantly apparent. Obviously you can't see them all at once, but they're definitely there and noticeable (like dead pixels tend to be).

I have returned monitors with 4 dead pixels; HUNDREDS of dead pixels is unacceptable.

120HzNET
05-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Ok so exactly same side and location as Furobins?

Do you have a shot of a regular screen - say take a screen shot (or pic) of this page with its black edging.

techknowfile
05-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Ok so exactly same side and location as Furobins?

Do you have a shot of a regular screen - say take a screen shot (or pic) of this page with its black edging.

Is this a joke? Please tell me you aren't actually an admin

120HzNET
05-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Not a joke. Not sure what your deal is just wanting to see actual screen shots. Shit I don't care since I didn't make this thing - send it back. The more pics you post the more it informs the community. So do what you like.

techknowfile
05-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Not a joke. Not sure what your deal is just wanting to see actual screen shots. Shit I don't care since I didn't make this thing - send it back. The more pics you post the more it informs the community. So do what you like.

You don't seem to comprehend how difficult it is for a crappy camera to take a picture of a monitor. I hope no one is paying you to post on these forums, because I don't believe you have had a lick of customer service experience in your life. Please point someone with more common sense and authority my way.

HyperMatrix
05-14-2012, 07:12 PM
You don't seem to comprehend how difficult it is for a crappy camera to take a picture of a monitor. I hope no one is paying you to post on these forums, because I don't believe you have had a lick of customer service experience in your life. Please point someone with more common sense and authority my way.

Perhaps because we're not customer service. You're more than welcome to deal with the seller directly. Did you not read the sales agreement before purchasing? -_- We're trying to facilitate the communication between Korea and the community. But we are not the seller. And we are not responsible for anything other than getting this monitor to you. Anything else regarding quality/warranty, as stated very clearly in the sales agreement, is the responsibility of the seller in Korea and goes according to their policies.

techknowfile
05-14-2012, 07:16 PM
You run a website with an e-commerce shopping cart and a forum. Running a business inherently creates "customer service". This is simply bad customer service.

HyperMatrix
05-14-2012, 07:18 PM
You run a website

And you run your mouth.

And buy things without reading the sales terms and agreements, apparently. Anyone who has talked to us, we've tried to help and tell them what their best options/solutions are. What you're doing...we don't care for. We are NOT a businesses. This was done as a favour to the community. Read things you're agreeing to. Because with your attitude, it's very clear that you have no idea what our role is in this whole transaction.

Nyrin
05-14-2012, 07:19 PM
You run a website with an e-commerce shopping cart and a forum. Running a business inherently creates "customer service". This is simply bad customer service.

Dude. Go back and read the thing you blatantly ignored before getting hostile with the wrong people.

120hz.NET is NOT responsible for:
- Manufacturing this product.
- Providing warranty and support for this product (although 120HZ.net will continue to host technical information related to overclocking, color calibration, etc. and reserves the right to alter or remove the information posted on 120HZ.net at any time.)
- Fulfulling any other customer/retailer relationship expectations.

120hz.NET IS responsible for:
- Collecting payment.
- Collecting shipping information.
- Passing that information on to Seller.
- Passing along a tracking number once available from Seller.

I'm sorry that you got a bad monitor and, if the problem doesn't rectify itself (stuck pixels sometimes go away either on their own or with a gentle massage), I very much hope that the warranty process with green-sum goes smoothly. But getting angry and directing that anger at the wrong people isn't helping anyone.

120HzNET
05-14-2012, 07:19 PM
This isn't Best Buy mate - there is NO customer service. This is a public forum based on our experience with these monitors. If you are looking for customer service you went to the wrong place sorry. I don't understand your problem with posting more pics to, again I stress, a public forum. I am not paid I am doing this as a service to you and others. Just like I have been doing for four months on OCN. I wish I got paid to put in my time and energy for this stuff, but I don't.

Again, sucks you got a bad one, but nothing I can do for you without more shots, etc. Try the monitor tests and pixel fix tests and see what that gets you. If that still doesn't solve it - well, it will have to go back.

120HzNET
05-14-2012, 07:22 PM

Actually it doesn't if you read the terms and conditions - we are just passing this on to all of you. End of story. Man if I knew I would get hassled helping out I would have let this shit die months ago.

techknowfile
05-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Pixel-unsticking applications are the first thing I tried the moment I took a look at the monitor. You got that fucking right "NO customer service". You aren't helping anyone by pawning off bad hardware and then being a dick on the forums when someone is trying to warn others of the potential issues.

120HzNET
05-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Wait - wait - wait. Asking for pics then getting attacked is me being a dick? Wow. Dude, read how this all went down. You attacked ME. So not sure what your deal is. The hardware comment - ignored.

HyperMatrix
05-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Pixel-unsticking applications are the first thing I tried the moment I took a look at the monitor. You got that fucking right "NO customer service". You aren't helping anyone by pawning off bad hardware and then being a dick on the forums when someone is trying to warn others of the potential issues.

We haven't deleted your post or banned you, have we? Because others actually read the terms, and read into what they're buying. We're not hiding anything, because you still seem to not understand that "we are not selling anything." We facilitate a group-buy (hence the 1% transfer fee markup on the product) so that the entire stock of monitors is available to our customers rather than going anywhere else.

whitespider
05-14-2012, 07:31 PM
I have found that people in large forums do actually inherently service and help eachother. However we have no obligation to do so. I am just a user like you. So are hypermatrix and scribbly. They just provided a forum and a checkout system that allowed us to pursue something that was risky, yet beneficial if it worked out.

That's been something a lot of us have known going in. I believe that monitor can be returned, and while it's a complete hassle, and I continue to feel sorry for you, it's better just to get things underway now. Instead of losing the support system this forum and website "could" provide.

120HzNET
05-14-2012, 07:32 PM
To Hyper's point - I am GLAD you guys posted your issues. Like I said before it informs the community. The more info you can provide the better we ALL get at resolving potential issues with these monitors. Instead you went off on me like we are in a retail business establishment. That clearly isn't the case.

So if you would like to post up more pics, more detail as to what you have and have not done to fix these, and any other info - the COMMUNITY might (and I stress might at this point) step in and try to help solve these issues without you having to wait weeks for a new monitor. If you want to continue to spout off, by all means have at it. But, I won't be helping you without more info that is for sure.

HyperMatrix
05-14-2012, 07:35 PM
My monitor:

Max Brightness:

Medium Brightness:

Zoomed out a little.

Zoomed out more:

120HzNET
05-14-2012, 07:39 PM
So Hyper - those are not noticeable at normal viewing distances? Or can they been seen? I can see one in each zoomed OUT pic. The third pic I see the lower right, the fourth I see one in the upper right (one that doesn't show up in the third pic).

These are the shots I wanted to have posted before being attacked - thanks!

techknowfile
05-14-2012, 07:44 PM
... our customers ...
Precisely

HyperMatrix
05-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Well, the reason I wanted more information from people...and wanted these pictures...is because I believe the manufacturer's policies on bright pixel may allow for a certain number of visible pixels to be considered a defect. I personally don't care...if you want their contact info message me I'll give it to you. But my concern is that they plug it in, they see what we see which is just a few bright pixels without sticking your head to the screen and claiming your warranty won't cover it and you have to compensate them for both ways shipping before they'll return your monitor.

It's your call, guys. There's a reason I didn't send mine in to be swapped. Because the visible defects were within what you'd expect from an A- panel. But if you wanna give it a shot, I have absolutely no problem providing you with the contact information for the korean seller.

HyperMatrix
05-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Precisely

<-- Customer service background. Habit of saying that. Members would be the appropriate term. Doesn't change anything though.

On the plus side we can now add another line to the terms of sales. Link to your post. And say: "If you are this guy...please don't buy a monitor."

120HzNET
05-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Hyper - can you respond to my questions real quick? I do want to sort this for others if we can.

THIS IS WHAT I ASKED:

So Hyper - those are not noticeable at normal viewing distances? Or can they been seen? I can see one in each zoomed OUT pic. The third pic I see the lower right, the fourth I see one in the upper right (one that doesn't show up in the third pic).

HyperMatrix
05-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Hyper - can you respond to my questions real quick? I do want to sort this for others if we can.

THIS IS WHAT I ASKED:

No I honestly don't see them. If I'm on a pure black screen with nothing else, About 5 or 6 bright dots are somewhat visible. But if there's anything else on the screen, your eye won't pick up the 1 small pixel. And especially in movies/gaming, it is absolutely impossible to see. Even on the dark background we have on the side of the forum, I can not see any of the bright pixels. My dead pixels, however, I see once every few days depending on what content I'm viewing. But again while gaming...no.

120HzNET
05-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Cool. thanks. I was lucky and my original two were both perfect (and it looks like that trend is continuing with the poll results we have). There appears to be roughly the same spread happening with this run of 100 - at least so far compared to the original threads.

HyperMatrix
05-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Yeah honestly if the bright pixels are enough to bug anyone that much...get them to private message me for warranty contact info. They can sort it out with korea. Not an issue.

ANDROID2541
05-14-2012, 08:48 PM
I would respond.. but I was raised knowing that If i don't have anything hospitable to say, I shouldn't say anything at all.. so I wont.. But, Yeah, public forum, read your sales agreements, if you have an issue, don't get pissed that the people trying to help you, its the same as pissing off your waiter. You don't do that.

TheJesus
05-14-2012, 09:20 PM
You mean I can't just jump into this and buy one of these awesome monitors and expect you to fix all my problems?!?!?! I'M SO ANGRY! Oh wait, those of us who have been following this since the beginning know about the terms.

All this forum is, is a group buy. You get no support from the middle man in a group buy. You can't blame anyone but the manufacturer/seller (which 120Hz.net is neither).

As for the whole "you don't know what customer service is". You have no idea what it is if you think this isn't the exact same thing a CS rep would ask.
"Detailed pictures of said pixels?"
"Was there any visible damage to the box?"
"Have you tested other monitors with the same cable?"
"Have you tested other monitors with the same GPU?"
"Have you tried pixel massage techniques?"
"When did you first notice this?"
"Are they dead pixels or bright dot?"
Etc. Except, these questions would be spread out across days/weeks/months of emails. You can go to the AMD/Nvidia Support thread I created, AMD support has taken at least 10-15 emails and months to get to the current point and Nvidia took about a week to forward to Level 2 support where something will actually be solved. I deal with CS A LOT and I understand how the process works, Hyper/Scribby have done exactly what the seller/manuf. would have.

Honestly, you're just being a child about this and attacking other members who offered to help by asking for more information. You probably don't realize that HyperMatrix and ScribbyDaGreat are the reason these even exist and that we might eventually get OC PCBs. Scribby has invested his own money to get OC PCBs to be sent off and destroyed for our benefit.

But sure, continue to be awesome and 12.

Junkboy
05-15-2012, 12:36 AM
I would respond.. but I was raised knowing that If i don't have anything hospitable to say, I shouldn't say anything at all.. so I wont.. But, Yeah, public forum, read your sales agreements, if you have an issue, don't get pissed that the people trying to help you, its the same as pissing off your waiter. You don't do that.

I was gonna post but then I saw this and thought better of it.

You mean I can't just jump into this and buy one of these awesome monitors and expect you to fix all my problems?!?!?! I'M SO ANGRY! Oh wait, those of us who have been following this since the beginning know about the terms.

All this forum is, is a group buy. You get no support from the middle man in a group buy. You can't blame anyone but the manufacturer/seller (which 120Hz.net is neither).

As for the whole "you don't know what customer service is". You have no idea what it is if you think this isn't the exact same thing a CS rep would ask.
"Detailed pictures of said pixels?"
"Was there any visible damage to the box?"
"Have you tested other monitors with the same cable?"
"Have you tested other monitors with the same GPU?"
"Have you tried pixel massage techniques?"
"When did you first notice this?"
"Are they dead pixels or bright dot?"
Etc. Except, these questions would be spread out across days/weeks/months of emails. You can go to the AMD/Nvidia Support thread I created, AMD support has taken at least 10-15 emails and months to get to the current point and Nvidia took about a week to forward to Level 2 support where something will actually be solved. I deal with CS A LOT and I understand how the process works, Hyper/Scribby have done exactly what the seller/manuf. would have.

Honestly, you're just being a child about this and attacking other members who offered to help by asking for more information. You probably don't realize that HyperMatrix and ScribbyDaGreat are the reason these even exist and that we might eventually get OC PCBs. Scribby has invested his own money to get OC PCBs to be sent off and destroyed for our benefit.

But sure, continue to be awesome and 12.

But then I saw this and smiled. :)

Mine came with one dead pixel high up and to the left, invisible unless sought after, and a stuck pixel on far right of screen that I already fixed. Yay for me.

Vega
05-15-2012, 02:23 AM
Moved post due to OP highly negative tone.

These are not dead/stuck pixels, refer to my thread:

http://www.120hz.net/showthread.php?157-Vega-s-thoughts-on-the-Extreme-Catleap

hello im sean
05-16-2012, 11:19 AM
OP please calm down. The risk in buying this was apparent. If it bothers you that much buy a monitor with the same panel that is A or A+ rated and swap them. These monitors aren't even supposed to be made any more, be lucky you got what you did and work with it.

Brian
05-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Good thread A+ would laugh again

dragonxxorz
05-25-2012, 05:19 PM
be lucky you got what you did
Well I wouldn't feel lucky if I got this: http://i.imgur.com/JLCuf.jpg

Anyway, what's with the "sorry, that sucks" comments. This is pretty drastic, how does this not warrant a free return? lol if this isn't covered by warranty, what is? O_o

HyperMatrix
05-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Well I wouldn't feel lucky if I got this: http://i.imgur.com/JLCuf.jpg

Anyway, what's with the "sorry, that sucks" comments. This is pretty drastic, how does this not warrant a free return? lol if this isn't covered by warranty, what is? O_o

Because they're not actually visible if you're even 1 foot away from your monitor. They're A- panels. We don't care about flaws that are invisible. You can contact the seller. I sent the seller's info to the buyer. But you have to remember the seller is some korean guy. Not Dell, HP, or Apple.

But as I said before...if you're OCD and can't stand to know there are imperfections, even if they're imperfections you can't see when using your monitor in a normal way, then we'd really rather that people not buy it. And it's also why we haven't deleted this thread. We want everyone to know what they're potentially signing up for.

It's the only 1440p 120hz monitor in the market. I'm glad to have the opportunity to have something no one else has. There are some risks and downsides to paying less than half the price of an apple cinema display for 2x the performance.

dragonxxorz
05-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Huh? How is Dell, HP or Apple any better? They have a pixel policy too and it's not perfect either. A+ panels are far from perfect. Why does it matter if he's korean? You make it seem like he's not a human being... unless you're trying to say that koreans don't respect their own warranty terms. That screenshot goes against his pixel chart, so I don't see why there should be a problem in getting it returned. I wonder who would be the one paying the shipping back as there is no information about that on any of green sum's ebay pages.

Vega
05-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Huh? How is Dell, HP or Apple any better? They have a pixel policy too and it's not perfect either. A+ panels are far from perfect. Why does it matter if he's korean? You make it seem like he's not a human being... unless you're trying to say that koreans don't respect their own warranty terms. That screenshot goes against his pixel chart, so I don't see why there should be a problem in getting it returned. I wonder who would be the one paying the shipping back as there is no information about that on any of green sum's ebay pages.

Because they are not dead nor stuck pixels?

"A Korean guy" means an individual, not a large company is selling these. He lives in Korea. A Korean guy. I don't know how you could have possibly gotten anything derogatory out of what Hyper said, but then again people never surprise me.

HyperMatrix
05-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Because they are not dead nor stuck pixels?

"A Korean guy" means an individual, not a large company is selling these. He lives in Korea. A Korean guy. I don't know how you could have possibly gotten anything derogatory out of what Hyper said, but then again people never surprise me.

This. Thank you. I was trying to emphasize that you can't compare what you get from billion dollar companies with 3x price markups to a small unknown shop in Korea selling things at bargain basement prices.

dragonxxorz
05-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Well I thought they were, if they're nor dead or stuck pixels, then I take back what I said, because I assumed they were.

As for the korean part, I'm saying any seller should respect his warranty terms, so I don't see why it makes a difference if it's a company or a person, unless one or the other doesn't respect his own terms.

So, if they're not dead or stuck pixels, what are those?

HyperMatrix
05-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Well I thought they were, if they're nor dead or stuck pixels, then I take back what I said, because I assumed they were.

As for the korean part, I'm saying any seller should respect his warranty terms, so I don't see why it makes a difference if it's a company or a person, unless one or the other doesn't respect his own terms.

So, if they're not dead or stuck pixels, what are those?

I'm not sure what they would be classified as but if you go back a few pages you'll see pictures I posted showing these "whatever they are" at different distances. And you'll see there's maybe 5 or 6 visible ones, and even then only barely, and on a full-black backdrop. It's not an actual visual/usage issue. And I want people to be aware of that before they buy them. Because there's no "walk back to the store and return it" options.

dragonxxorz
05-25-2012, 09:01 PM
I see, found some information about it. Is that the case with every monitor or just one of the many things that can happen?

Vega
05-25-2012, 09:55 PM
My hypothesis is that it is the adhesive used on the gloss surface or fine dust particles stuck during the gloss surface application refracting on a dark background. They are only apparent on a solid black background and you have to be looking directly at them from under around 1 foot away to really see them. Not a huge deal IMO but something to be aware of.

lee63
05-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Do you guys think by buying a perfect pixel monitor will avoid this issue,or is this not pixel related.

LED120
05-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Some people have bought perfect pixel and still found their monitor had dead pixels.

Sneaky
05-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Some people have bought perfect pixel and still found their monitor had dead pixels.
That is not what lee63 asked :rolleyes:
Buying a Perfect Pixel Monitor does give you a much higher chance that the Monitor will not
have any 'dead pixels' BUT it is not a steadfast rule/promise or guarantee, yes you
could still get dead pixels.
In regard to this issue, as it doesn't seem to be a pixel issue (as VEGA mentioned, more likely an adhesive issue)
then no, buying a Perfect Pixel monitor would not guarantee your monitor be free of this issue.
Although, Perfect Pixel monitors are checked 'at the Factory' (not by the end seller) so of course
there still is a chance that they may pick this up and consider it a Non-Perfect Pixel.
We'll never know for sure unfortunately, haven't had anyone with a Perfect Pixel screen
come forward with this issue as of yet though.

HyperMatrix
05-31-2012, 11:50 PM
Not sure where I had heard that the panels came with the adhesive already applied from LG, and weren't done by the individual manufacturer.

Mad-Duke
06-15-2012, 01:15 AM
As long as it isn't noticeable....... I would not care but if it is and it is distracting I would want to know the warranty covers me

This Guy
08-28-2012, 06:50 AM
On the plus side we can now add another line to the terms of sales. Link to your post. And say: "If you are this guy...please don't buy a monitor."

Hey, what did I do? :p

HyperMatrix
08-28-2012, 01:30 PM

I see what you did there...lol. :P

TheZone
08-28-2012, 02:23 PM

hahaha

Sneaky
08-28-2012, 11:33 PM
OH! ..... This Guy ..... lol

TrollFarmer
09-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I love it when ragers bury themselves so deep in rage there is no way out! You get in in BF3 Metro all the time. I get accused of hacking daily, which I take as a compliment these days, but you just simply point out how utterly idiotic/childish/stupid they are being...only to get more and more rage...until there is a utter silence , when they realise what an utter tool they have just made of themselves :)

Punishert
09-26-2012, 09:37 PM
To be honest I would definitely try to return this monitor too, this seems to be a very rare occurence right?

But yeah I wouldn't have at it like this, just for my own sake. You don't want to anger the people that can help you with this.

HyperMatrix
09-26-2012, 10:05 PM
To be honest I would definitely try to return this monitor too, this seems to be a very rare occurence right?

But yeah I wouldn't have at it like this, just for my own sake. You don't want to anger the people that can help you with this.

Somewhat common, actually. You don't see those specs while using the monitor though. Many of you have it but just don't see it. For some reason they should up very clearly in upclose pictures. But unless you stick your head a few inches from the screen, and look at it straight on, you won't even see them.