PDA

View Full Version : Shipped at 120hz?

durhame13
04-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Hello,
I was wondering if the models you ship come already set at 120hz or do you have to overclock them yourself? Also, if you do have to overclock yourself, what do you have to do? Is there a kit of some kind or is it just as simple as installing the drivers then going into windows and nvidia and manually selecting 120hz? Thanks for the help!

BlackOctagon
04-05-2013, 07:15 AM
You have to overclock them yourself, and '120hz' is NOT guaranteed. Read up this page: http://www.120hz.biz/terms-of-sale/

The overclocking process consists of going to MonitorTests.com and:
(1) Downloading the CRU.exe program and the driver patch for your card (AMD or NVIDIA)
(2) Patching the drivers and enabling Test Mode
(3) Restarting the computer
(4) Setting up custom refresh rate and resolution combos in CRU.exe*
(5) Restarting again, and then
(6) Manually selecting the refresh rate, either through Windows or through your GPU utility

*This particular step in the process can potentially take some trial and error. CRU.exe has an 'auto' mode and SOME screens can do 120Hz on auto. For others, they can only do a bit less on auto, and in this case reaching higher refresh rates like 120Hz can require experimenting with manual timings. Read the MonitorTests.com threads for more.

You can also read this: http://120hz.net/showthread.php?683-Overclocking-Quick-Start-Guide

BlackOctagon
04-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Oh yeah, and if you do all this and it works for you, DONATE to ToastyX

durhame13
04-05-2013, 08:06 AM
thanks much, just wanted to make sure i get a horrible warranty, and the 120hz isn't even guaranteed. just want to make sure have all things strait in my head before i potentially spend $800+ on something.

Shadman
04-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Your negativity is not welcome here. These screens are still very much one of a kind, and the warranty in case your monitor (or power brick) actually breaks is still pretty good. Better through here than Ebay, actually.
And if you have been paying any attention at all, you'd know that the pricing is unfortunately high because of the manufacturer, as it is the case Everywhere.
Maybe read up on the history of this site and see how much work people have put in to getting these to you in the first place, still cheaper than the Apple Cinema Display and others (except the ones on Ebay).

durhame13
04-05-2013, 12:08 PM
People worked hard to get it to us. Got it. History, I could say I dont really care but I look at history trends of reliability. Now, say your a car salesman saying you have a Mini for sale that goes 170 MPH cause the speedometer has 170 on it. I say wow that is cool. Then you caviat that by saying you will sell me the mini but we can only garantee it at 110mph but here are some methods for getting it to 170mph and oh by the way, if you try to take it to 170 and it breaks, you we wont work on your engine via warranty it will be out of pocket and your mini may be shipped to you with up to3 very visible dings which you have to deal with.

I'm not trying to be negative, i'm trying to be a realist. I want this monitor or what is being "advertised" just as much as the next gamer. And I'm willing to pay top dollar, but to flat out advertise what it does then to find out, only becaues i did search the site good and ask questions because things seemed Too good to be true, that it in fact is not 120hz and so on........ I'm thinking it might be best for me to just wait until they become main stream. They are always sold out because they are not standard 120hz but you advertise them as such. You have to hack them. you dont see intel advertising their chips at 4.2ghz 3930k and use that as a selling point.

Again, not trying to be negative. You guys work hard. Got it. But so do I. $800 is a lot of beer, mini vacation, and so on... I just want to be damned sure of what i'm buying. Oh,, anyone who spends more then $300 and can't get a good warranty to last a year has more money then sense. GL to you. I hope you guys have a successful business and go big time mainstream and provide them on newegg or amazon one day or something. I'll buy it strait away then. GL.

BlackOctagon
04-05-2013, 12:30 PM
I didn't find him that negative, Shad? OP, correct me if I'm wrong, but English is your second language, right? When you said 'horrible' did you mean 'really really bad'?

TheZone
04-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Most<<< of the monitors will hit 120HZ Hell my monitor hits 130HZ and I only have a 580 3GB card.

guinner16
04-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Its not that he comes across as a jerk. Its just that he sounds like an asshole.

Also, when is the last time you bought a car that could actually do what the speedometer said. Apparently you think nearly ever car is falsely advertising then.

Shadman
04-05-2013, 04:45 PM
A realist? Where else do you get these?

Go be real somewhere else then, while we live in a fantasy 120HZ 1440 IPS world. 90% of the time.

Sneaky
04-05-2013, 05:20 PM
They come with a standard 1 year warranty when
operated at the refresh rate they are rated at (60hz),
just like intel do with their processors. If you choose
to overclock them that is on you. No different.
If you are not wanting to OC your CPU, you don't buy
a K or an X version. Same here, If you don't want to
OC your monitor, don't buy a 2B .... simple.
If you choose to miss out on 120hz on a monitor
that has no comparison .... that is your choice. ;)