PDA

View Full Version : It's true what they say about ASUS cards!

Sneaky
05-10-2013, 11:26 PM
I have always tried to keep two PC's of the same socket in the past (and now) as I
like to have a back up if anything goes wrong and also having two PC's of the same
socket means parts are interchangeable.
I currently have two Intel 1366 socket PC's and my new PC (which I still haven't completed
yet due to failed EVGA X79 FTW and still need to get all my water cooling gear organized)
Anyway, I have been wanting to get rid of my 1366 socket PC's and replace them both with 2011
socket PC's.
I found an unbelievable bargain the other day for a PC:
Case: CM Storm Trooper
CPU: Intel 3930K
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Formula
RAM: 16gb G-Skill 1600mhz
GPU: ASUS ENGTX580 DCII
Fully water cooled with EK/Koolance/Bitspower and Hardware labs gear.
All only 8 months old with boxes and reciepts for everything (except for the GPU which the guy said was a trade)
I put my OS SSD in it booted right away on my new QNIX, had to uninstall all the EVGA drivers and
replace with all the ASUS drivers, no problems there.
I updated to the latest nvidia drivers, no problems, QNIX running smoothly at 2560x1440 60Hz.
Time for some monitor OC'ing. Try to create a custom 120hz res in nvidia control panel .......
no go, 'monitor does not accept this resolution. So I'm thinking ok lets patch the driver, done, rebooted,
still same thing (yes I am in test mode). So I think, maybe using CRU it may work?
Set Custom resolution in CRU, apply reboot ..... wth, right after the windows boot logo (before welcome logon screen) monitor goes into standby blinking blue light. Right then it hits me that this is an ASUS card with only DVI-I only connectors. So I boot into safe mode (no problems there) and run Toasty's
reset.exe to reset all monitor resolutions to default. Reboot, same thing. now the Monitor will not work
with this PC on either of the DVI-I ports, monitor always goes to standby after Boot logo.
The PC doesn't crash, it actually does Boot, I can hear the start up tone through speakers.
I connect my old ASUS 24" TN monitor and bingo no problems at all.

I'm not too fussed by this as I was going to Replace the ASUS GTX580 anyway but
I wanted to run this PC as it is for the mean time, get all my business stuff transferred onto it,
so I could start selling off my old PC's and it would give me time to build the other 3930K WC PC.

The main PITA is that when the guy built this new PC, the idiot never made an easy way to drain
the system so replacing anything in the loop is going to be a nightmare.

Long story but I have found out what others were saying about ASUS cards and Overclocking to be true,
DON'T BUY ASUS GPU's IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE MONITORS! ;)

LNCPapa
05-10-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm running a pair of ASUS 680s with no issues.

Sneaky
05-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Are they the DCII cards or reference design?
I am now running my 24" ASUS monitor off the DVI-I cables and it works fine ... no go with the QNIX though.
So I know nothing is actually wrong with the DVI-I connectors.
I'm also not a noob so I know that I haven't done anything wrong.
Could it only be pre-ASUS GTX6XX series cards? all I know is that others have also mentioned issues with ASUS cards and as soon as I use one .. bam!

LNCPapa
05-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Mine are reference. 680s that I got on the 680 release day. I don't have any other ASUS cards at the moment so I couldn't tell you if that issue affects prior generations.

Sneaky
05-11-2013, 12:44 AM
LMAO ... I am a noob, it is ToastyX's SLI patch that has the Fermi limit patch, I ran the other one ... now to reboot and test.

EDIT* Yes my blonde moment ... 120Hz working like a charm now :o

Shadman
05-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Oh man, you even made a whole new thread and all..:cool:

Glad its working. Say, need another 3930k? Is that what you were saying? :rolleyes:

Sneaky
05-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Yeah just a DOH moment all good now.
No just bought this PC with 3930K
so have two 3930K PC's now ;)
I'm sure you will find someone to sell to :)

Shadman
05-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Okayyy, shipping to AUS was a pita anyway