PDA

View Full Version : Help with huge watercooling loop.

sheepdog26
05-13-2013, 10:53 AM
UPDATE: Ok, so I was finally able to get water "moving" through the system in that it does go from the reservoir/pump all the way around and back. But the thing is, parts of the tubes in the loop are vacant of water, and it looks like some sort of a whirlpool affect is going on within the some of the tubes. I've been shaking the darn case in the hopes that the water would get a move on, but the whirlpool effect continues, and parts of the tubes are still vacant of water. Will post a pic later today.

Hello there 120Hz. Been a member for a while (personally own a Yamakasi 120Hz monitor, which is just Godly for gaming!), and I could use some help.

I have built a HUGE loop that I thought would work right off the bat, but I must be missing something since the loop does not seem to work as I had hoped. I currently have 3x GTX Titan Blocks, a 3930K block, and a Rampage IV Formula MOSFET block. So here is the loop order that I currently have setup, which is in a Corsiar C70 Vengeance Computer Case:

(1) XSPC Twin D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/2x Alphacool VP655 Pumps - (2) XSPC Raystorm CPU Block - (3) Koolance 280mm Radiator (30mm thick) - (4) EK Rampage IV Formula Block - (5) XSPC Titan #1 block - (6) XSPC Titan #2 Block - (7) XSPC Titan #3 Block - (8) NexXos UT 120mm Radiator (60mm Thick) - (9) Back into Reservoir.

I jumped the system via a paper clip inserted into the 24 Pin power cable to only turn on the water cooling setup and get water running through the blocks and radiators. Yet, when I turn on the loop, the water seems very resistant in wanting to go through the loop that I have made. Am I possibly missing something? Like is a Bay Reservoir/Pump combo only meant to be used for the CPU and motherboard block, but not GPUs? I figure that since I am using 2x powerful and reliable D5 Pumps, the water should be getting through the blocks and radiators no problem instead if I was using 1 pump. I've turned on the loop multiple times and let the reservoir/pumps do their thing, but the water does not seem wanting to move through the tubes.

I will post a picture later today of the inside of my C70 Vengeance Case so that you can have a good idea on what my loop looks like.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions :).

Sneaky
05-14-2013, 01:30 AM
Post a pic of your system showing the direction of flow and mark out where the air pockets are situated and we can try and figure out what is wrong from there.
My first thoughts are that maybe you have your inlet and outlet to the Dual bay pump/res messed up or you have a block in the loop somewhere?

HyperMatrix
05-15-2013, 03:05 AM
It's likely because there's still air in the loop. The reservoir needs to be filled. Use a short tube and a connector, attach to the top of the reservoir, and blow and suck. It'll push water in, and suck air out. Once you have sufficient liquid in your loop, and your reservoir is filled at least 80%, it should take off. This is different from single pump reservoirs which work much more easily.

The small pockets and vortex and etc will take a few days to clear out. You'll notice your reservoir level go down a little each day as a result of more air being taken out of the loop. Like I said you can speed this up and get it all working significantly faster by sucking the air out yourself and pushing the liquid in. Put those perrty lips to work.

Shadman
05-15-2013, 10:43 AM
pushing the liquid in. Put those perrty lips to work.

Oh my...

sheepdog26
05-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Quick update: my loop is in still the same direction, but I've figured out a way to shorten the tubing needed by turning the nozzles of the 280mm radiator on the top of the C70 case from towards the front of the case to towards the back of the case. Also, I noticed that on the XSPC website that they had a manual for the XSPC Twin D5 reservoir, and I noticed that in the instructions that it requires installing an O-Ring for the Alphacool VPP655 D5 pumps. Unfortunately my Alphacool pumps only came with the pumps and nothing else. That may explain why water was not moving through the entire loop; air might have been leaking out of the pumps. I will stay updated on the O-Ring situation, and pumping the water through the loop.

Btw, thanks for the advice so far sneaky and hyper. I will remember to get my sexy lips working Hyper :) I need to get my review video out for my monster TITAN build before you!

HyperMatrix
05-16-2013, 01:49 AM
Quick update: my loop is in still the same direction, but I've figured out a way to shorten the tubing needed by turning the nozzles of the 280mm radiator on the top of the C70 case from towards the front of the case to towards the back of the case. Also, I noticed that on the XSPC website that they had a manual for the XSPC Twin D5 reservoir, and I noticed that in the instructions that it requires installing an O-Ring for the Alphacool VPP655 D5 pumps. Unfortunately my Alphacool pumps only came with the pumps and nothing else. That may explain why water was not moving through the entire loop; air might have been leaking out of the pumps. I will stay updated on the O-Ring situation, and pumping the water through the loop.

Btw, thanks for the advice so far sneaky and hyper. I will remember to get my sexy lips working Hyper :) I need to get my review video out for my monster TITAN build before you!

The XSPC Dual-Pump reservoir can actually mount the pumps without an O-Ring. I removed mine. Believe me it's just an issue of not having the tubes filled with too much air currently. Fix that, make sure reservoir is full, and it'll start working. My loop definitely guaranteed uses more tubing than yours. It took 2 litres of coolant. So it's not an issue of there being too much tubing. Unless you somehow plugged the wrong holes on your Titan blocks and ended up ending the loop early? Haha.