PDA

View Full Version : Planetside 2 on PS4

nocturnal7x
06-05-2013, 11:27 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/dc-universe-online-and-planetside-2-coming-to-playstation-4

There have been rumors for a while, and I chose to ignore them as I didn't think they were credible. Even Smedleys "we are very excited about PS4 wink wink" statement. I figured they had something new in the works, like maybe an old MMO port or EQ next or something. But now it seems official, PS2 will be on PS4.

Im very sad about this news, and I don't think Ill be spending any more money on the game. Ive never seen a game not be hindered by consoles when being developed for both. Sacrifices are always made, and since the hardware is what it is and wont change, it limits what can be done. PS2 was supposed to last a long time according to SOE. And im afraid if they tie PS2 to the PS4 its going to be limited very quickly.

It will be interesting to see how they get this game to run on a 1.6ghz core of an 8 core processor. But maybe they wont, maybe they will use gaikai for the whole thing. In which case we only have to worry about them dumbing down game mechanics/continents and not visuals.

And I do think if anything is going to suffer, new continents will be made to suit the PS4 players more than anything. Look at how that worked for BF3...

BlackOctagon
06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I guess this is testament to the popularity of PS2...though I must admit I've never understood why it's so popular. Doesn't it run pretty badly no matter how powerful your PC?

HyperMatrix
06-05-2013, 03:32 PM
With tweaking it runs pretty well on my system. I get anywhere from 70-300 fps in various situations, and usually dont go below the 90-100fps mark. If they did a console version, they'd have to maintain a separate development team and as you mentioned, keep it dumbed down and easy to access through a game controller. I remember when they dumbed down Star Wars galaxies (also SOE) because they were thinking of launching it on consoles. So you had fewer buttons to press and etc etc...just made it dumb, simple, and ended up killing the game.

Considering this is just an fps that is already considerably dumbed down compared to the original ps1, I think/hope such a move wouldn't really affect the gameplay and design much. As for console performance, they'd really only need to hit 30fps for that crowd apparently. Easily pleased, are they. :P but threaded optimization could allow them to run the game at 60fps. Again, this is if they port and modify it right. And if they do those kinds of optimizations, it should help the PC crowd too.

Shadman
06-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Yeah hyper, that fps with your FoV of like 10 :p

HyperMatrix
06-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Yeah hyper, that fps with your FoV of like 10 :p

Haha. 47 FOV. I tried running at 1440p but everything has really weird jagged edges and extra stutter at 1440p, that doesn't exist at 1080p. FPS is mostly about your CPU and disabling CPU hogging settings.

Fimconte
06-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I get ~60fps+ in heavy combat now with 1440p and 74 FoV / 89 FoV (in vehicles) after all the optimizations they've done so far.

I hope if they manage to optimize it we can see 120fps stable.

donaldchuh
07-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Once this game is released I'm headed to the store to pick up a PS4. Can't wait.