PDA

View Full Version : New iOS Jailbreak Released For All iDevices!

HyperMatrix
05-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Hey guys. Jailbreak available for all iDevices, including the new iPad 3 running the 5.1.1 version of iOS. I've been waiting for this forever! iOS feels gimped without haxx. :P

http://cdn.redmondpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Absinthe-iOS-5.1.png

Link to Redmond Pie article: http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-5.1.1-untethered-iphone-4s-ipad-3-ipod-touch-and-more-using-absinthe-2.0-video-tutorial/

SKProwler
05-27-2012, 08:11 AM
So I recently got an iPad, not really been an i-guy, but now have the iphone as well. What are the top things you (like personally) jailbreak the device for? Is it for downloading paid apps for free to your comp and transferring, or apps you can't get on the app store? Or something else?

HyperMatrix
05-27-2012, 08:53 AM
I've spent thousands purchasing apps in the app store. Sometimes I like downloading an app I'm unsure of for free if there's no free/demo version of it up on the app store. But it's honestly not worth the hassle. And I always buy the games I end up playing for more than 2 minutes. Things I really really like about Jailbreaking iphone/ipad:

- In-App Texting. Text messages pop up over top of any activity so you don't have to exit to view/respond to texts
- Easy flashlight for quick access
- File Manager! YES PLEASE. Get full control over your file system.
- Unsanctioned apps like Youtube video downloads, and Youtube2MP3 conversion services.
- Wifi Spoof (make your device think you're on WiFi and not 3G to bypass limits set, or to be able to watch HQ/HD video over 3G instead of the low quality crap they normally serve)
- Gameboy/snes/etc emulators. :P

Just all in all so so many different tweaks and customizations. Many of which I can't think of now but will be installing shortly.

unphased
06-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Lots of reasons to jailbreak an iPad.

For me, being able to run my XCode code without paying $99 for an iOS provisioning license is enough to push me to jailbreak.

I am also really looking forward to seeing if VLC can be made to run on an iPad3 so I can play all my 1080p on that gorgeous screen. It will be the perfect personal content consumption setup.

HyperMatrix
06-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Lots of reasons to jailbreak an iPad.

For me, being able to run my XCode code without paying $99 for an iOS provisioning license is enough to push me to jailbreak.

I am also really looking forward to seeing if VLC can be made to run on an iPad3 so I can play all my 1080p on that gorgeous screen. It will be the perfect personal content consumption setup.

Is there something specifically about VLC that you need? There are many video players that play in 1080p by accessing files on a media server whether it's software on your computer or an external drive. Or even if it's loaded on your iPad's file system.

unphased
06-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Vlc plays non-mp4 files. unfortunately it seems like it is unable to decode many of my HD mkv's fast enough... I'll have to get a tool that does dynamic conversion to a h.264 mp4 stream.

I'm glad to say that there used to be many more reasons to JB. Apple has been able to add more and more functionality to iOS (like Notification Center) and App Store apps have become more powerful, and at this point I could definitely get by fine without it.

I was trying out a window manager called Quasar, which is incredibly cool and is the sort of thing that is only possible after a JB.

HyperMatrix
06-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Check out AVPlayerHD then. There are a couple apps I use for full playback compatibility on the iPad. That's one of them. I forget the name of the other one right now. But AVPlayerHD is a good one.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/avplayerhd/id407976815?mt=8