PDA

View Full Version : Help with driver crashing for a GTX 670 FTW

Conker
07-23-2013, 03:44 AM
I have had a Catleap OC'd since the first batch over a year ago using a GTX 670 FTW and it has worked great. I recently moved and since I've plugged it in at my new location I have continued to get an error like this:

"Nvidia Windows kernel mode driver, version 314.07 stopped responding and recovered successfully"

I've updated the drivers, updated the monitor driver, rolled back the drivers, and it continued to do this. Replace the error message with "version 3xx.xx" and it is the same thing.

I'm wondering if it's possibly the power adapter I'm using (I currently don't have an alternative and before I go buy a new power strip I thought I'd ask on here), OR my GPU is messed up (maybe it got damaged somehow when I was moving?).

There appears to be nothing wrong with it when I'm just doing normal tasks in Windows, but if I start anything that's graphics intensive (games) it crashes within 30 seconds or so of actually playing. Most of the menus work fine starting up the games, but it's when I actually try to play something...which makes me wonder if it's something to do with power to the GPU.

The fan speeds, temps, and everything are showing completely normal. I'm not overclocking the GPU at all, either. There appears to be no problems with it other than just always crashing in games (even playing movies doesn't crash it). I'm at a loss as I've gone through everything I know.

Full specs:

CPU - i5-3570k
GPU - EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
Mobo - Maximus V Gene
RAM - 8GB G.Skill Ares DDR3
PSU - Corsair Enthusiast 650w Modular PSU
Case - Thermaltake Armor A30
Monitor - Catleap that has run at 120hz perfectly in the past, and continues to work fine.
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

I uninstalled the Nvidia graphics drivers and just ran the monitor off of the GPU without any drivers and it works fine at lower resolutions (doesn't allow me to run at native res) except I can't run the games that have been crashing, only lower requirement games that are probably running off of the integrated graphics or something, which work fine.

So I don't know what to do now. Could it be the power plug? My wifes computer has been working great plugged into the same outlet and power strip with slightly lower specs, so I don't know why that would be a problem with just mine.

Do you think my GPU is damaged? If so, it seems odd that it works fine until I try to run something intensive.

Appreciate any help or suggestions!

Conker
07-24-2013, 05:14 AM
I don't know how to delete or close a thread, but after swapping cards with a Radeon HD 6950 that works fine in my setup, and the GTX 670 FTW worked fine in the other setup...it appears it wasn't the card, isn't the PSU, and isn't the mobo. Everything works great after swapping cards.

It must be a software thing. Looks like I'll just have to try a reformat as I've cleaned out all of the drivers already. Better than RMAing my card or having to get a new part at least.

Shadman
07-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Sorry, I didn't have time to reply yesterday, just looked at new threads while waiting at a concert :p

But yeah, it did sound like software based on op. Hope it works out well!

Conker
07-25-2013, 08:52 AM
I actually reformatted to no avail. It does the same thing! It must be my PSU or possibly the watts of the current power outlet (I am in the process of moving and have only been able to try this outlet). But I did notice some odd stuff happening with my mouse and keyboard not responding, along with the fans not running at full speed in my case...as if things are fighting over power. Then if I try anything that pushes my GPU it crashes...and with all of the drivers/software reset, it should have worked fine.

I'm just hoping it's the current power outlet but I have very limited space where I'm currently staying to try an alternate outlet and will try another power adapter asap. Hoping it's just their outlet vs my PSU dying. Took so much effort ruling out GPU, mobo, software, or other things plugged in, that I just want to plug the thing into my new place and have it work soon.

Shadman
07-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Hmm, that does sound weird. Which power supply do you have

Conker
07-25-2013, 05:51 PM
It's a Corsair Pro series modular AX750.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139016

Just in case it was something with the way things were plugged in I even unplugged all of the modular cables and redirected some of them to be better organized (my GPU use to go through another cable with some fans plugged in, but now it's the dedicated PCI-e cable directly through the PSU). Thing is, it worked as it was before for over a year perfectly fine, so I couldn't imagine that really had anything to do with it.

It probably is just my PSU. I just don't have time to keep taking it apart when I'm busy with work and other things going on, plus I need to get a replacement that might not even end up being the problem :-/ And if it was the power outlet, my wife's computer right next to me that we swapped my GPU into should have had the same problems, right?

Could it be the mobo?

Shadman
07-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Maybe. Sometimes when things get all mixed up like that, I just start over. Disregard the symptoms and what you've done before and reassess everything. Everything before may have been coincidence.
Because the best thing to do is to spend a little bit of time on it (which, I understand you don't have :p)