PDA

View Full Version : Is something like a Spyder 4 Express worth it?

BizzyBum
06-11-2012, 01:46 PM
It's about $120.. just wondering if it's worth it for the professional and automatic calibration. Does it really make a big difference?

Sn0_Man
06-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Well, I don't think so but I suppose it depends how sensitive you are to these screens, and especially if you have it next to a different screen calibrated differently.

If you could split the cost 2-3 ways with one or 2 other people in NY that you know who would be interested in getting their screens calibrated as well, then it sounds a ton more appealing. I mean, even at $60 thats not too bad (assuming you have a bit of disposable income).

Personally, I just used some of the profiles that Scribby posted and picked the one that I thought looked best. I'm plenty happy.

Kosta
06-11-2012, 03:15 PM
If this helps your decision: bought Spyder4Pro, returned it couple of days later, and will order Quato Silver Haze 3 in the next couple of days.

Reasons for return:
Software - extremely confusing and stupid (made for stupid people who can only click back or next, without (m)any advanced options)
No ability to check your profile setting
No measurements of contrast, brightness or color only
Unfriendly (pay) hotline, whom I called to ask for some functions, if I missed them, and they basically answered with a question - why would I want to do this or that? What the fuck do they care what >I< want to do with something. I asked if I can measure the profile, and the guy told me why would I want conrast more than 500:1, I asked if I am able to set higher color temperature, and he asked me why, that is not a standard... moron, I know what a standard is, but if I want to run 7200K in one of my profiles, it's my fuckin thing. After the call I felt like an idiot.

Oh well, Amazon is great with returns, and I'll just get Quato, hopefully they are simply more professional (and courteous, especially towards someone who doesn't know much about this kind of stuff).

BizzyBum
06-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Well, I heard the ICC profiles sometimes reset for gaming, no? I heard Diablo III did this?

My calibration isn't for printing photos or photoshop work, it's for better colors, brightness, and contrast for gaming.