PDA

View Full Version : COD Ghosts - VRAM???

HyperMatrix
11-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Within the first minute of running the game, my VRAM use hit 5GB....and while frame rate was above 120fps, it didn't feel smooth. This is the first game I've seen hit 5GB VRAM use on a single 1440p display. Now I can see how DX11.2 and tiled resources could be helpful. I also wonder what running the game at max on a 3GB card like the gtx 780 would do to the frame rate.

In any case, it looks like there really was something to that massive 66gb game download. Can't wait to actually play with it some more to resolve some of the stutter. It was definitely very clear and sharp. But playing it for only a minute or two, I didn't get the feel of bf4's epicness from it. That may change, however, as the game has already surprised me twice!

Ben
11-05-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm running GTX 670's 4GB SLI and I'm getting pretty bad performance. Random stuttering, frame drops in large outside areas or when there's alot of particle effects on the screen. Looks quite nice though.

Shadman
11-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Well, its definitely inefficient, not taxing. There is a big thread on OCN about it, but Titan users get ~5GB taken, whereas same settings and everything is about 2.2GB on a 3GB card (forget which one) but yes, I don't believe the coders really knew how to scale everything well. I mean, 6GB of ram minimum? Right.

HyperMatrix
11-05-2013, 04:56 PM
The sharpness of the textures/details are definitely higher than BF4. But the lack of smoothness and polish made it feel cheaper than BF4. More testing has to be done to determine how much I love or hate it. :P But a game like this using up 5gb VRAM does scare me. Feels like they borrowed code from the PS4 version.

nocturnal7x
11-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Kinda want to try it out...maybe when it goes on super sale.

Shadman
11-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Kinda want to try it out...maybe when it goes on super sale.

Or just 'try' it out

LNCPapa
11-06-2013, 12:00 AM
You sure it's not just caching which makes it look like it's using all that VRAM?

HyperMatrix
11-07-2013, 03:43 AM
You sure it's not just caching which makes it look like it's using all that VRAM?

How much could it need to cache in vram? Only way that'd make sense is if it's as I said, where they just borrowed code from the PS4 with its massive 8gb of gddr5. (ie. lazy programming)

winterhell
11-07-2013, 08:23 AM
5GB is only on ultra with 1440p and everything maxed, right?

Shadman
11-07-2013, 01:06 PM
5GB is only on ultra with 1440p and everything maxed, right?

I believe someone said they had 5GB on 1080p maxed out

HyperMatrix
11-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Performance in the game is alright. I've had it hit as low as 90fps (very rare) and as high as I think 250fps. The textures are definitely higher quality ones. This game is quite a big step up for last years release, but still shy of bf4 and the frostbite 3 engine.

Sneaky
11-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Performance in the game is alright. I've had it hit as low as 90fps (very rare) and as high as I think 250fps. The textures are definitely higher quality ones. This game is quite a big step up for last years release, but still shy of bf4 and the frostbite 3 engine.
Multi-player is a joke with the P2P system in effect until they release their servers, if they ever do.
Just cannot believe they still think the P2P and matchmaking system is acceptable, worst thing they ever did
was get rid of rented dedicated servers, I am still scratching my head at how and why they came to that decision.

HyperMatrix
11-09-2013, 05:27 AM
Multi-player is a joke with the P2P system in effect until they release their servers, if they ever do.
Just cannot believe they still think the P2P and matchmaking system is acceptable, worst thing they ever did
was get rid of rented dedicated servers, I am still scratching my head at how and why they came to that decision.

I haven't gotten around to multiplayer just yet. I was extremely disappointed with the dedicated servers used for black ops 2 because of all the insane lag. In BF3 I only look for under 50ms ping servers, and try for 15-30ms most the time. I am impressed with the overhauled graphics, considering how little was changed between each of the previous releases. It still lags behind BF4 in that department, but I think the game uses some of the highest resolution textures I've seen in any game. I wish I had a 4k monitor to test out that theory. But going back to multiplayer...I'm really hoping it won't be so bad. I also surprised that they stuck that 91-92fps cap in multiplayer again, though there is a 3rd party patch to remove that limit.

donaldchuh
07-11-2014, 10:48 AM
It's an issue of poor coding and lack of optimizations. The game is very leaky. I personally haven't had a problem with everything maxed out and using portrait surround with a 780 classified. Sadly, I can't run SLI because of major stutter issues.