PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Shield Update

HyperMatrix
11-05-2013, 04:51 PM
So a couple months back I posted asking if anyone had an Nvidia shield, as I was debating on whether I should get one or not. I was mostly hesitant because of the utter POS that the PS Vita turned out to be. Now that is a device that needs to go to hell and die.

I will post more tonight. But I have to say...that after actually holding it in my hands, this feels like the most epic device ever. I saw some overclock kernels online that ran the CPU at 2.55GHz though there were definitely system bottlenecks present as the performance gains were far from linear. Unfortunately that kernel has not been updated for Android 4.3 so I will have to do without for now.

The first thing that struck me was the absolutely phenomenal build quality of this device. It just feels right. It has just enough bulk to give the impression of being a substantial premium device, as opposed to a light featherweight that you may feel you overpaid for. I'll have more details as I discover more! But incredibly impressed as of now. The shield, particularly the next iteration, could actually be what saves/significantly boosts PC gaming thanks to Nvidia's gamestream.

HyperMatrix
11-07-2013, 04:01 AM
I'll try to get a video up to showcase a few of my favourite things. I find Tegra 4 to be lacking a little and I'm not sure why. Despite the iPad Air having roughly 3.5x more pixels to render with its 2048x1536 resolution screen, compared to the 1280x720 resolution of the Nvidia Shield, the Shield does have slow downs and low fps in some games. The frame rate in Fifa 14 felt much smoother on the iPad 4 and the iPad Air. Dead Trigger 2 also has areas with massive lag/low fps. The interesting thing in Dead Trigger is that the controller seems to perform intermittently while going through a low fps patch. I'll elaborate on this more, but essentially if you're rotating right at 60fps, then drop to 20fps for a bit, the amount of your rotation also drops to about 1/3rd even though gametime still proceeds as normal (ie. 5 seconds rendered at 60fps is the same as 5 seconds rendered at 20fps). So that causes some major issues.

The part I was most excited about...Gamestreaming...still has plenty of potential. It turns out the NVENC chip on the GTX 600 series and above is actually a little bit of magic. It can record 1920x1080 at 240fps. Of course this is with low quality encoding. When it comes to cloud gaming and streaming, it's supposed to be able to pump out video with just 1 frame delay. In the case of what they call "Very High Quality" recording mode for cloud gaming, the encoder is capable of putting out 720p resolution (to the Shield, for example) at 80-90fps (assuming your card can render it). That means overall input lag would be roughly 11ms + network latency, which should be minimal on a local 5ghz mimo network. This explains why I had no issues playing Crysis 3 maxed out on my couch yesterday.

There is one issue, however! So far, they have put a software limit of 30fps output on gamestreaming, though Nvidia has said they intend to release a 60fps mode soon. Here's hoping! Because this is some really amazing stuff right here...minus having to use Android. :P

HyperMatrix
11-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Here's a short teaser video on gamestreaming with the Nvidia Shield. More to come next day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO1VscFSU5E

Shadman
11-09-2013, 10:35 AM
"This is the evolution of gaming!"

So, this can double as a /standalone/ android device? And emulators are put directly onto the device? Does it have an SD card slot?

HyperMatrix
11-09-2013, 04:58 PM
"This is the evolution of gaming!"

So, this can double as a /standalone/ android device? And emulators are put directly onto the device? Does it have an SD card slot?

It is a standalone android device! And yes emulators directly on there. And there is a microsd slot. This thing is impressive. It'd perform better if it weren't on android with its crappy fragmentation. Thought he GPU in it on paper is stronger than the iPad air GPU, when accounting for the resolution they have to run, it slows down in many games because iOS games are tuned to a very limited set of hardware and android loses that. It's kind of like directx/OpenGL vs. gcn. :P

Shadman
11-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Yeah that is awesome. I checked one out from Nvidia here at PDXLan. Appearently it has a 'console mode' that you can connect a 360 remote to and it displays on the TV...like a console.

I'm seriously considering one now.

HyperMatrix
11-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Yeah that is awesome. I checked one out from Nvidia here at PDXLan. Appearently it has a 'console mode' that you can connect a 360 remote to and it displays on the TV...like a console.

I'm seriously considering one now.

Haha. yeah I've seen some of those things in action. I'd only be interested in that option with Shield 2 and 1080p streaming. That way you can plug your shield into any TV and stream your computer games at 1080p60fps. Though technically even the current hardware should be capable of that...it will be interesting. A lot of Nvidia's really great stuff is in a sort of "beta" phase at the moment. Tons of potential. Just have to wait for that potential to be tapped.