PDA

View Full Version : Plasma...I love you...And I'll miss you...

HyperMatrix
11-17-2013, 11:51 PM
You know, ever since I got back into hardcore PC mode, I've hated 60Hz. I just couldn't stand it. I refuse to play games that are capped at 60fps. Heck I even limit the time I spend playing games that can't maintain 100fps+. But that's odd. It's not that I'm being an elitist. I just can't handle 60Hz. So why, then, did I spend so much time playing my PS3 and Xbox360 back in the day? Well...it's because of Plasma.

Plasma offers a markedly smoother transition from frame to frame. It is just remarkable. I hooked up my PS4 and started playing some Fifa 14. I was amazing at how smooth everything was. I had to hit the Info button on my TV to make sure I was actually at 60Hz. And of course I was. So how come I had no issues with the Plasma? Well...it's really because LCD's are terrible. And it's the same reason CRT's were (are?) superior to LCD's. I remember when I first switched from my Samsung Syncmaster monitor to an LCD, the colours were richer. Images were sharper. But the motion was lacking. It's just the unfortunate nature of LCD technology.

So Plasma. How I've missed you. I decided to try something. I hooked up my computer to my Panasonic P50V10, which is not even one of the new 3000Hz subfield (marketing mumbo) models that can run at 120Hz. I ran it in clone mode and the mouse movement was buttery smooth. I'd have to say that 60Hz on the Plasma felt like something in the 90Hz-100Hz range on my Korean IPS display. I was shocked. To test this out further, I decided to actually try playing some games. So I hooked up my Xbox 360 controller. Loaded up Need For Speed: Most Wanted, and Fifa 14. And I didn't feel like there were any issues at all. I couldn't play Need For Speed: Most Wanted on PC for more than a few hours because it had a 60fps cap. Yet that same 60fps cap played beautifully on this Panasonic Plasma.

So now I'll be on the hunt for one of the new Panasonic models that's even better, and runs at an actual 120Hz. If it's anything like the 60Hz model I have now, it should mean that 120Hz Plasma should feel like roughly 200Hz on an LCD. That is the height of smoothness, in my opinion. But back to being incredibly upset again. Panasonic has reportedly planned to quit the Plasma business and has already shut down R&D for it. Why is this upsetting? Because there is no 4K plasma yet. Well...that's not entirely true. There is Panasonic's 152" 4K Monster Plasma. But I have neither the cash nor a space big enough to put it. They've said that 4K Plasma just wouldn't be viable, because of how much power the unit would require. Remember that Plasma isn't quite like LCD tech where you have a light shine through from the back. Plasma creates its own light. And existing sets average somewhere around 400w-600w as is. Which is great for me here in Canada. It really does a good job of heating up small spaces.

So unfortunately the last hurrah from Plasma will be Panasonic's VT50 line. 120Hz, 1080P. And I think it'll be a great idea to get one to turn my own PC into a Steambox (without all the limitations) by using an HDMI cable, and an Xbox360 controller. Because I'll be honest. I miss sitting down on my couch and playing games with a controller. But everytime I sit down and realize I have to play games with the poor quality offered by consoles, I go right back to my PC. And now...I won't have to.

winterhell
11-18-2013, 01:09 AM
How about an OLED TV? Have you tried one yet?

HyperMatrix
11-18-2013, 02:03 AM
How about an OLED TV? Have you tried one yet?

I've not. Base model starting at 10k here where I live. Decided to not even have a look at that price. :P Have you had the opportunity to game on one? In theory OLED should be wonderful. 4K @ 120Hz on OLED would be a great investment. Assuming the longevity issues surrounding OLED are resolved. But it would definitely be interesting to see how a 60Hz OLED display stacks up against a 60Hz Plasma since the OLED is supposed to have a faster response time.

winterhell
11-18-2013, 04:18 AM
I've seen an OLED from LG here in East Europe, but they are still 1080p@60Hz so I'm waiting for something betterbefore buy. I'll see if they can have a console hooked to one in the store.

BlackOctagon
11-18-2013, 12:55 PM
I've heard no shortage of glowing admiration for what OLED is theoretically capable of. But so far, no clear report to the effect that "I have one / have seen one in action and it is hands down the future." If anyone can point to such an account then that would be great

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

Shadman
11-18-2013, 01:30 PM
When I attended CES earlier this year, it looked pretty good. But I didn't pay too much attention, so I can't really vouch for it too much. I was more interested in the phones and the... Other parts of the city.

winterhell
11-18-2013, 02:55 PM
I've heard no shortage of glowing admiration for what OLED is theoretically capable of.)
The funny thing is on paper OLED to LCD sounds exactly like what SSD to HDD is. Many times more expensive per volume and low size, much lower response time(8ms to sub 1ms), lower temperatures and power usage, thinner(not that it matters). Worries about the lifespan. People who have tried it being impressed and not wanting to go back. Ignorant people all over the internet saying that it is stupid and wasting money.
Etc etc.

BlackOctagon
11-19-2013, 01:27 AM
I'm not saying that it is stupid or a waste of money. On the contrary, I often feel myself drawn by the hype. But apart from Shad's post above yours, I've only ever heard people describe OLED in the futuristic fictive tense (assuming such a tense exists)

Shadman
11-19-2013, 02:24 AM
Yes, it's a great technology, but the first LCDs didn't go so smooth either. There isn't much choice with OLED right now unfortunately, and similarly the ones that are out, are expensive.

These TVs may bring a few new features to the table, but at higher cost than most need.

But we will see where they will go from here.

BlackOctagon
11-19-2013, 11:28 AM
^ Good point. The first generation(s) didn't exactly fulfill the technology's potential