PDA

View Full Version : Default color temperature and PCB types?

spikestabber
04-27-2012, 02:07 PM
My 2B has a beautiful white color temp, (approx 6500K), while my 2D has a really high color temp, (in the high 8000K's for sure and its fugly). No matter what I try its simply not possible to make them both look the same, especially in Linux where color management is lacking while using NVIDIA's proprietary drivers and Twinview.

From what I understand the panels are identical, the white LED's seem to be the same color temperature as well.

I need to rip both of them open again and document everything.

Later on when I feel like being brave I really want to swap the PCB's to see if the color temperature difference moves along with it.... I was waiting as I totally intend to replace the 2D PCB's with 2B hardware.

The color temperatures wouldn't be an issue if there was a way of changing it in the hardware, but without an OSD thats not possible. (Too bad there's no button combos that can cycle the color temps)

spikestabber
04-27-2012, 03:16 PM
K, I got brave.

CONFIRMED: Swapping the PCB's also swapped the default color temperature, so its indeed not based on the panel itself. NICE.

So overclocking isn't the only good thing about the 2B PCB's, the default color temperature is MUCH nicer.

HyperMatrix
04-27-2012, 03:19 PM
K, I got brave.

CONFIRMED: Swapping the PCB's also swapped the default color temperature, so its indeed not based on the panel itself. NICE.

So overclocking isn't the only good thing about the 2B PCB's, the default color temperature is MUCH nicer.

Thank you. I was wondering about that. So then here's hoping the 2B PCB project progresses speedily! :)

spikestabber
04-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Oh yeah, I'm certainly getting a 2B board set the moment they are offered.

Thanks for going through all this effort.

120HzNET
04-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier - I would have saved you the time! I had checked this as well when I did my swap about a month ago. I will add that to the Color Calibration OP.

spikestabber
04-27-2012, 06:01 PM
These are the pics I taken today, you are free to use them however you wish if they provide any useful information beyond what we already know.
http://gallery.spykes.net/various/catleap

MovinOnUp
05-05-2012, 02:35 AM
My default 2b looks HORRIBLE compared to my Dell U2410. I am going to calibrate it now.
I am selling my Ultrasharp to my younger brother for 250USD, hopefully I can make the colors nicer.

*Just calibrated it using Scribby's work. Thank goodness :cool:
*Everything was horribly green on default, catleap-6500k.icm is the one I like

Thanks Scribby and ToastyX

http://www.monitortests.com/yamakasi-catleap-q270-led/catleap-6500k.icm

(http://www.monitortests.com/yamakasi-catleap-q270-led/catleap-6500k.icm)

bQvle
05-05-2012, 04:47 AM
My default 2b looks HORRIBLE compared to my Dell U2410. I am going to calibrate it now.
I am selling my Ultrasharp to my younger brother for 250USD, hopefully I can make the colors nicer.

*Just calibrated it using Scribby's work. Thank goodness :cool:
*Everything was horribly green on default, catleap-6500k.icm is the one I like

Thanks Scribby and ToastyX

http://www.monitortests.com/yamakasi-catleap-q270-led/catleap-6500k.icm

(http://www.monitortests.com/yamakasi-catleap-q270-led/catleap-6500k.icm)

Keep in mind that full screen games will ignore the color profile. and make it green again!

I use colorclutch, so it keeps my desktop calibration ingame, for steam games you simply need to run the "Steam.exe" with cclutch, and all steam games will have proper color, because of the steam ingame overlay.

http://colorclutch.sourceforge.net/

bigmac11
05-05-2012, 06:10 AM
Keep in mind that full screen games will ignore the color profile. and make it green again!

I use colorclutch, so it keeps my desktop calibration ingame, for steam games you simply need to run the "Steam.exe" with cclutch, and all steam games will have proper color, because of the steam ingame overlay.

http://colorclutch.sourceforge.net/

Would it be possible for you to give an in depth explanation how to use this? I d/l it and read the included read me file and don't understand how to use it :(

bQvle
05-05-2012, 06:21 AM
Would it be possible for you to give an in depth explanation how to use this? I d/l it and read the included read me file and don't understand how to use it :(

sure,

1. download and extract. (ex. C:\Program Files\cclutch\)
2. Create a .txt document and write

"C:\Program Files\cclutch\inject.exe" "C:\Program Files\cclutch\cclutch_ix.dll" patch "D:\Games\gamefolder\gamefile.exe"
3. Rename file-extension to .bat
4. Launch "game/or steam" with .bat file

For steam use cclutch_ix.dll, this is for DirectX 9 which most games use.
if you run an older game, or a dx10,11 game. you got following options.

cclutch_vi.dll -> dx6
cclutch_vii.dll -> dx7
cclutch_viii.dll -> dx8
cclutch_ix.dll -> dx9
cclutch_x.dll -> dx10
cclutch_xi.dll -> dx11

So far I have only needed DX9.

Another solution to the color problem is to run your game in "borderless window/windowed full-screen" mode. But i feel this is more pricey on the system, causing lower FPS, and im not sure how well it works with V-sync, personally i cant get my borderless window games to run propper v-sync.
So the cclutch full-screen solution is perfect for me.

bigmac11
05-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Thanks much appreciated :)

MovinOnUp
05-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Thank you!

I use colorclutch,

sure,

1. .

Dreas89
05-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Why does the screen not just keep the colour settings? I don't remember the name on the thing I'm thinking is the issue so please refresh my mind and elaborate :)

HyperMatrix
05-10-2012, 08:57 AM
There are various programs that can be used to load a colour profile as you launch into a game. Powerstrip has one, for example. :)

Dreas89
05-10-2012, 09:30 AM
There are various programs that can be used to load a colour profile as you launch into a game. Powerstrip has one, for example. :)Thats nice to hear, but why do you have to load one if you already have selected one in Windows?

Sn0_Man
05-10-2012, 10:47 AM
When you run games (in normal mode, not fullscreen windowed), windows detects that and stops a ton of stuff so that the game has better control over your system. It helps the game run faster, and makes sure that windows isn't messing with any stuff the game has going on. Unfortunately, colour profiles are one of the things windows decides it needs to forget about (since the game gets basically complete control of the video card & drivers). It is different in fullscreen windowed because as far as windows knows, the game is just another window. It runs slower, but I much much prefer it for alt-tabbing ease, etc.

Dreas89
05-10-2012, 10:56 AM
When you run games (in normal mode, not fullscreen windowed), windows detects that and stops a ton of stuff so that the game has better control over your system. It helps the game run faster, and makes sure that windows isn't messing with any stuff the game has going on. Unfortunately, colour profiles are one of the things windows decides it needs to forget about (since the game gets basically complete control of the video card & drivers). It is different in fullscreen windowed because as far as windows knows, the game is just another window. It runs slower, but I much much prefer it for alt-tabbing ease, etc.Shouldn't this happen in every game with all screens then?

I think I'm missing something :p

Sn0_Man
05-10-2012, 11:05 AM
What you are missing is that most people don't colour-calibrate their monitor. And those that do, often don't use windows. They use the monitor's OSD where possible (Catleap 2B has no OSD) or they use a custom loader (like colourclutch, see bQvle's posts). Both of those options don't care what windows says about colours.

To be honest, most monitors that you buy in NA come with decent colours, not good but workable. Especially since most users are oblivious to the colour calibration anyway (until you see a calibrated monitor beside an uncalibrated one, it can be hard to understand the issue). And quality calibration tools are expensive as hell...

Dreas89
05-10-2012, 11:21 AM
What you are missing is that most people don't colour-calibrate their monitor. And those that do, often don't use windows. They use the monitor's OSD where possible (Catleap 2B has no OSD) or they use a custom loader (like colourclutch, see bQvle's posts). Both of those options don't care what windows says about colours.

To be honest, most monitors that you buy in NA come with decent colours, not good but workable. Especially since most users are oblivious to the colour calibration anyway (until you see a calibrated monitor beside an uncalibrated one, it can be hard to understand the issue). And quality calibration tools are expensive as hell...I have an calibrated LG L245WP-BN beisdes my 120hz Acer, so I can see the difference.

But now I get it. Then it's nothing to feel bad about, easy fixed :)

Thx!

Phunky
05-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Be-careful when running that color clutch it sounds like it's injecting into the games dll's which could lead to a VAC ban on Valve games.