PDA

View Full Version : Best connection for eyefinity 3x1440p monitors

totalrace
07-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Please advice how do i better connect three monitors to two crossfired 7970 cards.
Monitors are overclockable Multi with duallink-dvi and hdmi, goal is to get 120hz on all three monitors.

Primary card is 7970 OC with 6GB has two dual link dvi ports , two mini display ports and one HDMI.
Secondary 7970 OC with 3GB has one dual link-dvi and two mini display ports.

Can i use two dvi ports from first card and one from second or all three monitors should be connected to primary card?

If all should be connected to primary card then can i use HDMI port for it, is it works with 120Hz?

If HDMI is not the way to go then what is the best miniDP to DVI converter currently?
(i noticed there are cheap and simple miniDP to DVI cables available, how do they work with out active converter?)

Also, Is that important to fit secondary 7970 to PCI-e x16 port at the motherboard or x8 will be enough?

Vega
07-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Just a few thoughts:

There are no 6GB 7970's on the market. The only one hinted at is the Sapphire Toxic, and that doesn't have two Dual link DVI ports anyway. As a matter of fact, there are zero 7970's current or future that have two dual-link DVI ports.

All monitors in crossfire Eyefinity must be connected to the first or "primary card".

There is zero point in over-clocking "multi-input" Catleaps. Your not going to get 120 Hz with frame skipping. You'd just be using double the GPU power for nothing.

The HDMI port can be overclocked to 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz.

totalrace
07-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Just a few thoughts:

There are no 6GB 7970's on the market. The only one hinted at is the Sapphire Toxic, and that doesn't have two Dual link DVI ports anyway. As a matter of fact, there are zero 7970's current or future that have two dual-link DVI ports.

All monitors in crossfire Eyefinity must be connected to the first or "primary card".

There is zero point in over-clocking "multi-input" Catleaps. Your not going to get 120 Hz with frame skipping. You'd just be using double the GPU power for nothing.

The HDMI port can be overclocked to 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz.

thanks for reply.
well, i am using sapphire toxic 6gb, got it for testing.
so what is the best miniDP to dvi converter then since hdmi could not be used?

totalrace
07-02-2012, 01:13 PM
thanks for reply. so what is the best miniDP to DVI converter then? and how about x8 PCIe for secondary card, is that fine?

just found accel 330MHz one, is that overclockable?

totalrace
07-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Just a few thoughts:

right, i got it from Sapphire at the exhibition. is there any software that show if i am having single or dual DVIs? i think both of them dual, just dont know how to make sure.

Sneaky
07-02-2012, 10:19 PM
right, i got it from Sapphire at the exhibition. is there any software that show if i am having single or dual DVIs? i think both of them dual, just dont know how to make sure.
Plug one of your Catleap's into both of the connectors, if one of them is Single Link, no image will display while plugged into that connection;)

Vega
07-03-2012, 07:58 PM
It is impossible with that port configuration to have two DL-DVI. That would take up 4 of the 6 total display streams from the GPU, leaving only two left.