PDA

View Full Version : Heat Dispersion with dual non-reference GPUs

Th3KAS
07-22-2012, 05:19 PM
I am going to purchase two GPUs to drive my soon-to-be shipped 120hz Catleap. My most likely solution will be a pair of Gigabyte Windforce 7970s.

The classic issue of heat being circulated in the case prevents me from going ahead. My case has 4x 140mm fans (2x front intake, 1x bottom intake, 1x back exhaust), a 240mm radiator for my CPU (2x 120mm top exhaust) and a 180mm side intake.

Will an aftermarket XFire/SLI setup cause too many heat issues with the GPUs to warrant them above a reference setup in my situation?

Thanks

Junkboy
07-22-2012, 08:07 PM
With how cool those run it wouldn't be a huge issue but would definitely raise temps in the case by quite a bit if you OC them like crazy. (as you should) I doubt that it will raise temps by too much if you're using a 240mm rad already on the CPU but could be problematic if you're hitting temp wall on CPU already.

I think my two suggestions would be to probably try to mount a fan between HDD bay and GPU's to help push air back or maybe changing cases if you feel that could help. When I went from my old Antec 300 to my current CM HAF 932 that helped my temps a ton on GPU and CPU(about 10C). Though I have to clean out more dust now :p but that's an evil I'll live with until next upgrade.

Th3KAS
07-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the response. More than anything, I'm concerned about the GPUs themselves being forced to recycle the hot air they produced and become exceedingly hot as a result. It's a risk I'm willing to take.

Perhaps making my side fan an exhaust would remove much of the hot air. I just don't want to perversely have to use near reference speeds with an aftermarket GPU meant for overclocking.

Junkboy
07-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the response. More than anything, I'm concerned about the GPUs themselves being forced to recycle the hot air they produced and getting exceedingly hot as a result. It's a risk I'm willing to take.

Perhaps making my side fan an exhaust would remove much of the hot air. I just don't want to perversely have to use near reference speeds with an aftermarket GPU meant for overclocking.

The cards still have the rear exhaust vent so I'm sure some of the air will get pushed out the back and with top rad and the 120 in the top back of the case also being exhaust as the air rises it'll get pushed out one way or another. When I used my antec 300 I found keeping side fan as an intake helped control temps better than as an exhaust since it was too low to help with hot air but it could still help pushing more cool air into the case which would force the warmer out faster. Again though, that was with an Antec 300 and that was with my old 5870 PH II 720 BE x4 @3.7 build.