PDA

View Full Version : New Monitor Advice

Dawgdoc
07-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Interested in purchasing a new gaming monitor.

Price is not an issue. Im looking for the best monitor(s) on the market.

Trying to decide if I want to go Nvidia surround, or just 1 really good high quality 120hz monitor. Opinions on both sides of this are most welcome.

Have been reading up a great deal on the Catleaps, and some other monitors lately, and very strongly considering getting a B panel Catleap and paying the extra $$. Questions about this at the bottom of the post.

The current new setup is as follows:

CPU: I5-3570K
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
Memory: 4x4 GB G.skill DDR3 2133 Ripjaws
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 4gb FTW
PSU: Corsair HX850
Case: Coolermaster HAF XM
Cooling: Thermaltake Extreme 2.0 on the CPU, Stock on the GPU but considering doing the OCN mod and throwing either a Corsair H60 or similar cooler on there. Maybe...maybe not....

Model/Make advice appreciated. IF I decide to go Nvidia surround I might get another 680, unless this one single card can handle it. Again....not sure....

Im pretty fluent with computer hardware, but out of the computer "arena" since s775. That being said Im a COMPLETE monitor nublet. I really dont even know the different between TN/IPS/TFT panels or whatever so...

OK so the questions.

1. 1 really great monitor, vs Nvidia surround. Pros/Cons of each and will I need to get another 680 FTW to SLI? I assume I prob will. I cant imagine just 1 680 really have enough "horsepower" to do it even though technically it can be done.

2. Catleap vs Other monitors. What is the hype? Its a really good IPS monitor I get that, but why are they SO in demand by computer geek types (like me...not an insult at all!) and what are the benefits vs the "latest/greatest" like the Asus?

3. Currently availability on the OC-able Catleaps. Looks like some shipped out this week from green sun. Any idea on how long for the next batch? Are they all already presold?

Any other advice really appreciated. Im going to do a lot of research myself, but also need opinions and a starting point since Im so nub at displays and monitors.

Thanks! ______________

Sn0_Man
07-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Alright, my $0.02:

Regarding surround: I wouldn't consider surround until you have tried OBM (one big monitor) and it isn't good enough for you. The cons are just too big. Things like: spotty game compatibility (not supported for games like Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Dota 2, etc). Aspect ratio too, since 16:9 is decent (I prefer 16:10 but w/e), surround puts you at 16:3, which is... a dubious aspect ratio. IMO. Plus surround can be a pain running your monitors off of different ports sometimes etc. I run a 27 Inch catleap as my main, with a secondary 24 inch beside it for browsing etc.

Regarding Catleap vs Others:

Catleap is: 1440p. Acer/Dell/HP/Samsung 1440p monitors cost $700 and up
Catleap is: IPS. IPS panels have better colour reproduction than "standard" (TN) panels. They do have slightly slower pixel response times though. IPS is widely considered desirable outside the "twitch gaming" counterstrike etc crowd (who admittedly prefer CRT's to LCD's so...)
Catleap is: 120Hz. No other 1440p screen is 120Hz. No other IPS screen is 120Hz. The closest that exist are 27 Inch 1080p 120Hz TN screens.

Have you ever used a 120Hz monitor before? Your local electronics store should have some on display, and it's important to feel the difference. Move a mouse around, drag some windows. It's a different experience on a 120Hz monitor. You can also demo an IPS monitor to see the colour differences.

I'm no help on availability. Just be aware that Catleap 2B's are a ridiculous steal at $560 and that if these were sold by more mainstream companies these would start at $1000+. Admittedly with most likely more robust construction + warranty service, but thats a big price hike.

Oh yeah, and a lot of 27 Inch panels come with Anti-Glare that is considered highly objectionable by some people. Wouldn't be a bad idea to compare a true glossy monitor with a 27 or 30 inch Dell/HP at your local electronics store and think about that too. The Catleap is glossy.

Dawgdoc
07-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Great info thanks for the reply!

I have only very briefly played around with 120hz monitors before, but have been told universally by people who started using them that they found it to be a very noticable and dramatic upgrade, even though supposedly you cant see more than 60FPS/60hz or above, they again universally have said they they notice SOMETHING, and its quite desirable.

I am going to go to my local electronics store as you say, and start to play around. Thats a great idea.

Regarding the Catleap, I thought that the Catleap WAS NOT 120hz. I thought it was 60hz, but if you get the "B" panel it can be overclocked and maybe possibly get to 120hz or maybe even higher. Said "B" panels can supposedly get 85hz minimum.

These are just my impressions from the research ive done so far, which is only 1 days worth. Very possibly I could be wrong so if this info Ive stated is not correct please do feel free (and do!!) correct me with the proper info.

Sn0_Man
07-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Well yes. Catleap monitors currently available on Ebay for ~$300 are indeed only capable of 60Hz. "2B" Catleaps, only generally available from this site (although sometimes one will pop up on Ebay) can indeed be overclocked to 100 or 120Hz depending on your GPU setup (120Hz for your current rig). Of note, its not the Panel that is a "B" panel, but rather the PCB inside the monitor. The panels (screens) are all the same (across brands such as Achieva Shiman or Crossover as well).

But yeah, there you go. Note that another drawback of the Catleaps are the chance of dead pixels (mine has none) and the general risk is somewhat higher than buying a monitor from a local store. If this bothers you and/or you can't get one from this site itself, Vega (a user on this site plus OCN and HardForum) is I believe selling a pixel-perfect tested at 120Hz etc etc monitor for "offers" (I believe he listed $700 on ebay so if you take off ebay fees etc that gives you a range to offer. The worst he can do is say no). He might have already sold it though I'm not sure.

EDIT: pretty sure vega sold them all. my bad.

Dawgdoc
07-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Anyone know the availability on the OC-capable Catleaps?

I see some were just shipped today. If I were to purchase one ASAP, any clue on when it might actually be shipped or even arrive from Korea?

And yea, Ive seen some of Vega's threads on OCN, Hardforum, and some of his youtube vids. Specifically the GW2 beta weekend with the 5 monitor vertical setup..../droooool.

CRAZY stuff!

He closed that thread where he was selling his Catleaps or I would have very likely jumped on it :(

unphased
07-24-2012, 08:07 PM
I think your best bet is to check back at this site every chance you get, preferably every 3 hours every day, to make sure you don't miss the next sale. I was in the same boat as you are in now the day after the first batch was sold and I was lucky enough to check the site while i was at work, three mondays ago... I basically decided on a whim to order two of these just to be absolutely sure I will have my 120hz goodness. It's always good to have a backup.

The price hike from $465 to $555 helped a bit to increase the availability window the last round because somehow a lot of people get turned off of a **fantastic** deal just because it is slightly less fantastic than a deal which has already come and gone. So it did not sell out in 1 hour; it took several hours this time around.

Good luck! F5 is your friend.

Dawgdoc
07-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Buzzkill. Looks like thats what I need to do :( I was hoping it was possible to just preorder and get put in a line and when my # is up it gets shipped out. Luckily I have a job where I can check back frequently.

That combined with my anal retentiveness hopefully will provide me with said 120hz goodness in the near to semi near future :P

Mad-Duke
08-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Buzzkill. Looks like thats what I need to do :( I was hoping it was possible to just preorder and get put in a line and when my # is up it gets shipped out. Luckily I have a job where I can check back frequently.

That combined with my anal retentiveness hopefully will provide me with said 120hz goodness in the near to semi near future :P

You'll be like me before I got my monitor... Make sure every thread on this forum is read daily! lol