PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta

120HzNET
04-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Hi, my name is Scribby and I am a recovering Warcrack addict. I last took a hit on May 21, 2010 and have been MMORPG clean ever since.

I remember my first taste of Warcrack. It was a beautiful Spring day in Seattle, Washington. I was visiting an old friend in my home town. We were all sitting on his back deck listening to the sounds coming off of the lake finishing another bottle of wine when he asked if I wanted to check something out. As we left our wives to chatter on about this or that I had no idea how my life would change over the next five years.

He started telling me about this new MMORPG World of Warcraft and how he felt it was the one of the greatest gaming experiences of his life. Having been a longtime gamer, I LOVED my Commodore 64, I was intrigued. He told me he just started on a particular PvP server, one that had just been opened, and was leveling a gnome warrior. I watched in awe for almost two hours as he traveled along, killing, questing, chatting, and just generally exploring Kalimdor. I was hooked.

Once I returned to California I immediately purchased the game, started up a toon, and my first hit of Warcrack sucked me in. Over the next five years I spent countless hours leveling, questing, chatting - you name it - if it was Warcrack, I was there. 24 hour raid sessions? Check. Paying for my own Vent server? Check. Waiting in midnight release lines for expansions? Check. Arguments with the wife over my addiction? Double check.

I was hooked and I truly believed that I would be a Warcrack addict for the rest of my life (or at least until I could not longer point and click.) However, in the summer of 2009 something seemed to change. The experience wasn't so immersive. The towns seemed to lose their luster. The fact I had seven level 80 toons didn't seem to matter any more. I was becoming . . . bored. And fast. Soon, I would notice how dusty and out of shape my toons had become the few times I would log on. My svelt female priest gained 60 pounds and could barely raise her staff to chain heal now. It had become all so sad.

I officially cancelled my Warcrack addiction on May 21, 2010 and haven't taken another hit since. Even through all the new content, emails about free weekends, weeks, or even discounted play time. I am forever over my Warcrack addiction. And I feel clean.

I am writing about my experience at 8:00 am after having spent the last week on the road traveling for work. I flew back into California yesterday morning and after a glorious day in the sun with my family got some time to go through all my email and saw my Guild Wars 2 closed beta event weekend email. I had completely forgot about it. After everyone was all snug in bed (well my wife at least - my son was playing COD with his buddies till 2 am) I fired up GW2.

After the last 8 hours of play time I must now report I am an official GW2Toker. I will remember my first hit of GW2 and look forward to many more hits. Eight uninterrupted hours of play time, after seven days on the road, convinces me of one thing - I will love all the future hits of GW2 and cannot wait for more.

However, I do know this won't be like my first addition to Warcrack. Something in me has changed. Or maybe it's simply that MMORPGs have a kind of "been there, done that" feel for me. I know I will be a longtime GW2Toker and will gladly spend my money, but I don't get the sense it will consume my life for large periods of time. I will say the game is simply stunning in its look, feel, story line, and overall game play. I like it. I actually love it and that comes from a player with no real GW experience. I have no idea of the back story, no idea how to properly train or level, no idea about any of the mechanics of this game, but I love it.

Hi. My name is Scribby and I officially fell off the MMORPG wagon on April 29, 2012. And it felt great.

Socius
04-29-2012, 11:00 AM
I've had my own battles with mmorpg addiction. I've been able to manage it much better the last few years though. I made a commitment that Life > Games. I didn't care what was going on in a game, and as soon as a real life event came up, game would be ALT + F4'd immediately and I'd leave. Best decision I ever made.

Sn0_Man
04-29-2012, 01:00 PM
I tried GW2. Unfortunately, I've never played MMO's before so the control scheme is ruining me :( haha

mystigiandoll
04-29-2012, 02:18 PM
ahhh how familiar that story is. I enjoy MMORPGs mostly cause most my friends play so on normal week nights when nothin is goin on we can jump on and bs and whatnot. With that said, after WoW I have refused to go through grinds and remakes. I don't need a time sink, I can waste my time in many ways, but I do enjoy a FUN game. I have been following GW2 for a LONG time and there will be much fun to be had. No monthly fee also means no obligatory feeling of having to play!

I didn't play much PvE because I want to keep the storys for actual play throughs, so I have mostly been dinking around in PvP learning the game and controls and whatnot. I am REALLY hoping they add in key modifiers and extra support for mouse keys (wheel up, wheel down, wheel click left, right, down). SLI was confirmed to be supported in release as this version of beta is just DX9 without SLI support.

Plan was to run 3 of the 2B Catleaps in portrait bezeless, we shall see how that turns out.

HyperMatrix
04-29-2012, 02:48 PM
That's why I play WoW casually now. I don't do any raids/dungeons. Haven't been in a guild in years. Just do battlegrounds, and search for transmogrification gear. And the past few weeks have been messing around with the Mists of Pandaria demo.

Surprisingly, they've added a lot of graphical enhancements in the new xpac. It will have SSAO. And at 1440p, full ultra resolutions my OC'd (1250mhz) SLI GTX 680 and 5ghz i7 2600k only pulls 60-90 FPS!! Lol. So I'd hate to bad the framerate would be in a triple-display setup. :P But it does look very pretty...I should do a video capture of it and post here.

Sn0_Man
04-29-2012, 02:48 PM
For what its worth, the panels are NOT the same size on top and bottom (even if you remove bezels) so 3 monitor bezeless portrait is... iffy. FYI.

Prothean
04-29-2012, 04:29 PM
I'll be checking out GW2 once it's finally released. I played the first and it was pretty good. Like the first, I hope the second has an end-game. If it goes on forever, it's just too much crack.

mystigiandoll
04-29-2012, 04:30 PM
They are not the same stripped all the way down to the point where you can pull the layers out?

Ibdabloke
04-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Played the beta as well this weekend. Engineer/Thief/Mesmer all in the Charr area as I will probably play a different starting area on release. Looking forward to the next open weekend.

whitespider
05-05-2012, 08:28 AM
I had my go at world of warcraft when I was in my early 20's. I am now 28. I think it was a 6 month streach that put me off mmo's for the remainder of my life.

The only thing that would bring me around to actually playing a mmo again, would be a radical change. Something with the dynamics of elder scrolls, something realtime, with real moving objects, complex systems, quests that you don't involve brainless grind, nothing copy/pasted for the masses, basically everything that represents a mmo re-written.

I tried out the the old republic, being a fan of mass effect I found appeal in the quests and small bits of bioware that peeked through the otherwise dull experience. Overall it just felt like every other mmo. And the one stand out thing - the dialog sequences, felt like expansive templates for those very copy/paste quests that I despise.

If guild wars 2 changes some of that. Consider me sold. If it's yet another non-real-time-copy-paste-fest-with-no-real-adventure-or-discovery-forcing-me-to-write-elongated-hyphenated-sentences-game - then forget it.

technikr
05-06-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm very excited for this games release, the WvWvW pvp mode has me anticipated in finally partaking in pvp that revolves more around logistics, numerical advantages and open battlefield tactician. Currently saving pay checks and eating ramen in order to work up the budget for a new gaming rig. Last beta weekend event showed that the game has yet to be optimized, I believe people were saying that the engine could utilize 10% of the gpu.

Any speculation of what specs would be required to run this game at above 75 fps, if not 100 fps, at the 2550x1440 display? I was thinking a single GTX680 could do the job. But the nature of mmorpgs always defy standard conventions. WvWvW I imagine can get intensive computationally.

whitespider
05-06-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm very excited for this games release, the WvWvW pvp mode has me anticipated in finally partaking in pvp that revolves more around logistics, numerical advantages and open battlefield tactician. Currently saving pay checks and eating ramen in order to work up the budget for a new gaming rig. Last beta weekend event showed that the game has yet to be optimized, I believe people were saying that the engine could utilize 10% of the gpu.

Any speculation of what specs would be required to run this game at above 75 fps, if not 100 fps, at the 2550x1440 display? I was thinking a single GTX680 could do the job. But the nature of mmorpgs always defy standard conventions. WvWvW I imagine can get intensive computationally.

Depends how demanding it ends up being. If it's optimized, I would say SLI GTX 680/670's would be more reasonable. If it does not use, ssao, godrays, all those higher end features. Then it's probably more cpu limited. Thus focus on highly overclockable cpu's instead. Overall, if you are basing this game in a higher priority bracket than others, I would do what I "should have done" for skyrim. Wait until it's released. See which cards run it the best. And then purchase.

I got a 6990, played my most anticipated game afterwards (skyrim) at 2560x1440 on my dell - and the experience was underwhelming due to the 64hz bug and AMD cards doing extremely poorly in this game.