PDA

View Full Version : Flash reference 7970 to 7970 GHZ edition!

avengernoonzz
08-03-2012, 01:43 AM
You can flash your standard HD 7970 to a GHZ Edition card, this gives you higher stock clocks, turbo mode to 1050Mhz and lower voltages meaning less power use. Thankyou AMD .

I have flashed my reference Powercolor HD 7970 and my non reference HIS Blue PCB HD 7970, both are working fine with the new bios. 1050/1500. Using lower voltages aswell .

SOURCE (http://www.overclock.net/t/1281425/amd-release-hd-7970-ghz-bios-upgrade-for-reference-hd-7970)

I did this to my reference Sapphire 7970 the other night and it's working fine. :D. I've tested it with BF3 with the map of Gulf of Oman (the most intensive map on BF3) and it works perfectly. No glitches, no nothing.

I know some will just say "but you can overclock a normal 7970 to the GHZ edition clocks". Doing it that way, you won't get the bonus Turbo Boost feature and the reduced Vcore.

If you're planning to do this just remember that you are responsible and no one else is.

BlackOctagon
08-03-2012, 03:04 AM
I agree that the reduced Vcore could be interesting...but wouldn't you have to bump it back up again anyway if wanting to overclock beyond the Ghz edition's rather conservative overclock? My reference Sapphire 7970 OCs to a stable 1250/1750, which is well beyond that of the Ghz edition. At that OC, I need to bump up the Vcore slightly beyond the stock level...and I'm not sure that use of Turbo Boost at that clock speed would stay stable.

Not trying to rubbish your thread. But in my experience most users can simply slide all the bars to the far right in OverDrive (i.e., overclock without touching vCore) and already have a faster reference 7970 than the Ghz edition.

Sneaky
08-03-2012, 05:35 AM
Not trying to rubbish your thread. But in my experience most users can simply slide all the bars to the far right in OverDrive (i.e., overclock without touching vCore) and already have a faster reference 7970 than the Ghz edition.
Not all users want to OC their cards to breaking point/or risk of. Higher clocks with lower Vcore, who wouldn't want that.
Nice find avengernoonzz ;)