PDA

View Full Version : SLi is -hot-!

Mkilbride
08-09-2012, 02:39 AM
So...second card installed, but to do it properly, had to slam it right next to my other one. Sigh.

My old card now has temps of 70c max where it used to be 55c, and the new card stays pretty cool at least, since it's fans are blocked.

I DO have side fans and right now they are removed with a huge box fan going full blast. It was a particularly cold day and my AC was running very cooler, so disappointed.

70c is where the cards start to throttle.

Both have custom coolers...

I read that when you SLi, expect a temp increase of 10c, due to the extra wattage Card 1 has to draw, as well as yeah, there being two cards.

But 15c seems like a little much! Argh...

As for performance...

Metro 2033 on "High" @ 1920 x 1200, 135+FPS at all times. Noice. Might bump it up to Very High, or gasp, apply AA. Wish my Crossover that should ship out sometime this year, if Accessorieswhole gets there act together, could do 120HZ right away...but I will has to wait for PCB.

HyperMatrix
08-09-2012, 03:06 AM
That sounds quite hot. Can you manually up the fan curve on your card to make it spin faster? Also this is why I like Asus mobo's. There is more space between the cards which helps in SLI setups and airflow. The hottest my gtx 680 gets at 1260mhz is 69 degrees. Stock fans.

Mkilbride
08-09-2012, 03:29 AM
No, my mobo is pretty large. As is my case.

And fan curve is 100%, doesn't matter, this custom cooler has dual fans and rights ultra quiet, full speed all the time.

Just I read is the extra voltage pulled to Card 1 heats it up alot more...

But yes, it has to do due to airflow. It's my fault, I installed a cooler that takes up an additional slot; hence, these 2 cards = 4 spaces.

Sneaky
08-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Pretty much all decent cards these days take up 2 slots and if you only have single slot space between each of your PCI-e slots
it is always going to hinder the airflow of your top card.
For SLI/Crossfire, Blower fan sinks are the best option as they direct hot air out of your case otherwise if you
can afford it, put a Water cooled loop in for your cards.

Junkboy
08-09-2012, 04:43 PM
The suggestions from the guys are pretty spot on but might I suggest maybe reapplying the TIM on the old GPU and then test which card gets hotter when on top. I'd rather two semi silent card both at 65 than one at 70 with jets taking off while the other breezes by at 60ish

Mkilbride
08-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Eh, jets taking off? These custom coolers make no noise at all, pretty much. As for TIM, that's all fine and fresh, don't worry. I've done this kind of thing several times, coolers, that is, and building computers, just my first time SLI'ing. The heatsinks are on fine and no, there isn't a slot between cards, the second card's PCB is pretty much against the first card's Fans, which is why I put a box fan on the side for now, so that it will definitely get airflow all around. Trying to think of a solution, and I can't. It's the way my board is setup. It'd actually be OK if I water cooled, or heck, the stock fans, it'd be fine with, but the custom coolers take up an extra slot...so yeah. Cooler than they'd be with stock, but still, somewhat disappointing. Water cooling is a thought as well, but I spent 46$ on each air cooler, and not like you can return em', or even heck, re-sell em for any price worth the shipping...so that's like 90$ down the drain towards water, I suppose. But I thought it'd work out fine. The heatsinks may be on a little flimsy...but eh, we'll see, I'll wait a little while. 135FPS in Metro 2033 has me all goose bumpy. Annoyingly, BF3 runs the same. Source games lol, they don't even use like 10% of ONE GPU...so yeah, no real need thar...Cryostasis, still runs like crap... Other games I will try again in the future... FFXIV Benchmark supports SLI, using a hack, but as far as I've seen, performance is lowered, oddly enough. Though other users have posted gains. Must just not be something I'm doing right with it... Still, Metro 2033 doubled or more in FPS, so SLI DEFINITELY is functional lol.

BizzyBum
08-10-2012, 02:21 PM
70c is high? I thought card running 80c+ are usually the case when gaming.

HyperMatrix
08-10-2012, 02:30 PM
80c? Heck no. Mine never touch 70c and Id get worried if they do. Though you're right the gtx 590 may have gotten hotter than that. But the Kepler line apparently becomes unstable beyond 70c.

jedi95
08-10-2012, 03:15 PM
80c? Heck no. Mine never touch 70c and Id get worried if they do. Though you're right the gtx 590 may have gotten hotter than that. But the Kepler line apparently becomes unstable beyond 70c.

I highly doubt that. The stock fan profile on a GTX 680 is noise optimized and will easily let the card hit 75-80 C. The reason for keeping it under 70 C is that you get the highest boost clock/voltage only when the GPU is below 70 C.

That said if you don't mind a bit of fan noise the GTX 680 reference cooler can easily maintain <70 C.

Mkilbride
08-10-2012, 09:15 PM
No, Kepler begins to throttle, i.e, downclock @ 70c.