PDA

View Full Version : I'm being stupid....

HyperMatrix
09-15-2012, 07:28 PM
I just put up my gtx 680's for sale. Once I find a buyer, I'm going to buy a couple gtx 690's...patience = non-existent. I just want solid 120+ constant FPS with ultra settings. And yes 2x gtx 690's may be (read: is) overkill, I just want it...

Besides, I think it's important to be able to demonstrate 120hz 1440p display power. No? =D Anyone wanna talk me out of this?

whitespider
09-15-2012, 07:35 PM
I just put up my gtx 680's for sale. Once I find a buyer, I'm going to buy a couple gtx 690's...patience = non-existent. I just want solid 120+ constant FPS with ultra settings. And yes 2x gtx 690's may be (read: is) overkill, I just want it...

Besides, I think it's important to be able to demonstrate 120hz 1440p display power. No? =D Anyone wanna talk me out of this?

Diminishing returns. Power bills. 780's just around the corner. Most game's don't have huge requirements. 4 gpu's = frame perception issues. Driver support.

I could go on.

HyperMatrix
09-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Diminishing returns. Power bills. 780's just around the corner. Most game's don't have huge requirements. 4 gpu's = frame perception issues. Driver support.

I could go on.

Do you think going from 2x gtx 680's to 2x gtx 690's will net me a 50% performance increase? I know it'll be diminishing returns, but if I can get 50% more performance compared to my current setup, I'll be hitting my perfect FPS targets. From 80-140 FPS in BF3 to 120-210fps.

whitespider
09-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Do you think going from 2x gtx 680's to 2x gtx 690's will net me a 50% performance increase? I know it'll be diminishing returns, but if I can get 50% more performance compared to my current setup, I'll be hitting my perfect FPS targets. From 80-140 FPS in BF3 to 120-210fps.

I don't know. I would personally do some research into it prior purchasing them. If it's confirmed by someone who owns them, or a benchmark, etc. Get them.

Also, you are going to need extremely expensive cpu and extremly high overclock on top of that. Because a lot of bf3's limitations are cpu. If I turn off all the gpu stuff and keep all the cpu stuff enabled, I get nearly the same fps. And I have a 5.2ghz overclock.

HyperMatrix
09-15-2012, 08:32 PM
I don't know. I would personally do some research into it prior purchasing them. If it's confirmed by someone who owns them, or a benchmark, etc. Get them.

Also, you are going to need extremely expensive cpu and extremly high overclock on top of that. Because a lot of bf3's limitations are cpu. If I turn off all the gpu stuff and keep all the cpu stuff enabled, I get nearly the same fps. And I have a 5.2ghz overclock.

Yeah I'm at 5ghz on my 2600k atm. Some games are CPU limited. Like WoW, Planetside, etc....but BF3, for example, appears to be GPU limited. I don't want to have to replace my cpu and mobo just yet. :( So I thought this would actually be a cheaper short term fix. Haswell will be 2x performance of current ivy bridge chips. That...will be...super effing amazing. :) But for now...I just need my fix! But yeah maybe I should research some benchmarks before doing it...could end up bad...lol.

This seems promising:
http://thisordinaryguy.com/wp-content/uploads/GTX-690-Quad-SLI-performance.png

EniGmA1987
09-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Haswell will be 2x performance of current ivy bridge chips

Where did you see that? Everything I heard was showing 10% more performance with Haswell over Ivy.

The biggest issue for performance you will have with dual 690's are the drivers. Nvidia has gotten a lot better at quad SLI, but it still needs some more work.

HyperMatrix
09-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Where did you see that? Everything I heard was showing 10% more performance with Haswell over Ivy.

Aghh...you're right. It says 2x the gpu performance. I think they were referring to on-board video performance that we don't care about. Darn. I was really excited for a while. :(

whitespider
09-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Is that a nvidia benchmark? They always over inflate.

I think a lot of the reason why I would personally avoid getting a 690 quad sli setup (other than money), is because I play a wide range of games. From skyrim, to some obscure flashback remake, to fallout new vegas, you name it. And multi gpu support is shaky when in sli, and extremely shaky when in things like quad sli with most newly released, lesser known games. I have found the 'major benchmark tool" games, which includes battlefield 3. Have eventually gotten some of the best profiles there are. So something like quadsli would probably scale a hell of a lot better with bf3 than it would other games. And yeah, I also completely understand that it's the actual game engine's as well. Bf3 is very scalable compared to a lot of other games.

Maybe keep an eye out for some benchmarks that involve quadsli 690's, the clock of the persons processor, and bf3. I don't know if in that graph it's the minimum, average, or what. And I reckon it's really important to know what the min/average/max is.

Since you are spending that kind of money, it's important to know these things going in. That's what I think anyway.

Oh yeah, last thing to mention. (you asked for it).

I purchased the 6990 after shitons of positive reviews, and huge numbers. Better scaling than nivida. Etc etc. Very few, if any people mentioned how it was the king of microstutter. We know that the 690 is pretty good at keeping two gpu's from MS'ing. We assume it's good at keeping 4 in check. Do we know that? I'd hate for you to fall into the same mistake i did.

That's about it really. Once you feel good about those things, go for it.

HyperMatrix
09-15-2012, 09:10 PM
My biggest fear is the whole pcie 3.0 vs pcie 2.0 thing. I'm running a p8p67 with 2.0 8x/8x config. I've seen good benchmarks of quad sli 690's...but most those tests were on a 3930k or 3960x. So...it's hard to tell but there's a good possibility that I'll have an issue and have to upgrade. So i'll have to account for a new mobo/cpu. And if I'm doing that...then I may as well just buy 2x gtx 680's and go quad 680's instead of 2x 690's? Thoughts on this?

Jrule2
09-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Did I inspire you Hyper? Hahahaha..

Why not go for three 4GB GTX 670's? I probably would have gone 3-way sli if I made the purchase again.

I haven't even had the opportunity to try mine for a few reasons so I can't even give you any feedback on the performance yet.

whitespider
09-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Well, unusually - i just went from a ivy bridge pcie 3 supported cpu, to a sandy bridge. Complex story why, you don't need to hear that.

Point is, I was completely maxing out the gpu usage in many games on that system, 8x super sampling, 99% constant gpu usage, etc. I do that kind of thing. I find using completely insane settings in games to be fun, and I love looking at clean visuals. With two highly overclocked 670's, I was hitting all sorts of walls at 4.5ghz on the ivy bridge. I got the sandy bridge, overclocked it to 5.2ghz, and my game performance went right up.

The cpu made a world more difference than 2.0/3.0 @ 99% useage.

That's me however, with my sli 670's, quadsli 690's are at least twice as powerful. Not sure if that would cross the 3.0 gains boundary or not.

I'll be getting the next gen cpu as soon as it arrives, from my tests it really feels like cpu power is holding back a lot of my refresh numbers in 98% of games.

OskyATL
09-16-2012, 02:24 AM
i guess they need 4xAA meetings for people like you. junky.

BlackOctagon
09-16-2012, 02:52 AM
Wouldn't do it Hyper. Daresay you'll regret the 2GB VRAM limitation

daltonfury
09-16-2012, 03:06 AM
Wouldn't do it Hyper. Daresay you'll regret the 2GB VRAM limitation

That's exactly why I went from 670 SLI 2GB to 680 SLI
4GB

Hyper I understand your dilemma...we have the same setup (mobo and CPU). I decided not to go the SLI 690 route because of the 2gb limit and the pci-e 2.0 limit. makes me nervous to dump that kinda money in gfx cards when i I don't have pcie 3.0 or a x79 board with a monster CPU. Never been a fan of using more then 2 GPU's. Like you told me...wait for the 780 :)

Sneaky
09-16-2012, 03:18 AM
Yep ... The GPU grunt would be great BUT 2gb VRAM limit will hurt & you want MAX settings.
You would be wasting your money. Why not sell your 680's and go Tri-SLI 670 4GB or 680 4GB?
I would think that would get you pretty damn close to constant 120hz at MAX settings on most games?

Save your BIG spend on the up coming GTX7XX series cards and a Mobo & CPU upgrade ;)

Perman088
09-16-2012, 03:30 AM
I have a Tri Catleap 2B with one GTX 690 and a 2700k OC to 5.1Ghz.
On Bf3 Max settings, no antialising, this card doesn't cut it.

With aliasing up the game just hangs..

Get the second GTx 690. Mine is on the way :)

daltonfury
09-16-2012, 04:26 AM
Now...If they released a 690 8GB (4GB per GPU) tomorrow.......That would get me thinking haha

deftonesmw
09-16-2012, 07:58 AM
I have 2 680's and have been thinking of making moves but i think i'm gonna wait till the 780's show up. Hmm, will your sli bridge pixel clock trick work with tri-sli?

HyperMatrix
09-16-2012, 08:15 AM
I have 2 680's and have been thinking of making moves but i think i'm gonna wait till the 780's show up. Hmm, will your sli bridge pixel clock trick work with tri-sli?

Haha. Yes it does....that's exactly why I want it. At 101hz before, it was pretty good. Generally around that FPS. Now that I'm running 125hz...I really want that extra performance boost. :(

whitespider
09-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Haha. Yes it does....that's exactly why I want it. At 101hz before, it was pretty good. Generally around that FPS. Now that I'm running 125hz...I really want that extra performance boost. :(

Without all the long winded reasons I gave before, my final recommendation is to wait. Two 780's are going to kick ass when paired with a next gen cpu. And it's all right around the corner.

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Ok...so I was stupid. I sold my 680's and picked up some 690's. I figured even if it's just a 20% boost I'll be happy. So...here's how it went. 2x gtx 690 is worse than 2x gtx 680. There is so god damn much stutter happening....it's not even funny. I'd rather play on a single gtx 680 than having to play on quad sli....

I figure switching to the 690 wasn't all bad. At least it's on a 16x pcie 2.0 slot as opposed to the previous 8x/8x config. Though guess it doesnt matter since its 2 gpu's. Also a single 690 has less micro stutter than sli 680's. Though I never actually noticed any micro stutter on my sli 680's. There's less power usage on a dual gpu board, as opposed to my 2x 680's. And this board oc'd to about the same level as my 680's. So I'm happy about that. Heat has also not been an issue. And the card is sexier. And has an awesome lit up led badge on it which is always a plus.

Now we wait for my 780's. P.s. yes. You all told me so. You're welcome for my $250 mistake. Valuable lesson learned instead of just hypothesized. At least I bought it locally and can easily return my second card. And it came with a copy of borderland 2 or whatever. So....$250 mistake becomes $190 mistake? :P

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 03:07 AM
I have a Tri Catleap 2B with one GTX 690 and a 2700k OC to 5.1Ghz.
On Bf3 Max settings, no antialising, this card doesn't cut it.

With aliasing up the game just hangs..

Get the second GTx 690. Mine is on the way :)

Warning....read my review/rant!

Sneaky
09-18-2012, 03:14 AM
Yeah, I figured dual SLI would be the most I would ever go after what others have said about Tri and Quad.
Just bloody hoping the GTX7XX series cards would be enough for a single card on an OC Cat.

nvidia
09-18-2012, 03:38 AM
New to the forums but I made the same mistake. The gtx 690 performed worse then my SLI gtx 4GB 680's. I think its because of the 2GB vram limitation. I dont know what Nvidia was thinking when they decided 2GB per GPU was enough for a $1,000 video card. If your paying the high dollar price, shouldn't you be getting the performance to match?

HyperMatrix, did you by chance run GPU-Z or some other program to see how much vram was being used? I'm curious.

Mandarin
09-18-2012, 03:43 AM
Any release dates on the 780s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BlackOctagon
09-18-2012, 04:14 AM
Ok...so I was stupid. I sold my 680's and picked up some 690's. I figured even if it's just a 20% boost I'll be happy. So...here's how it went. 2x gtx 690 is worse than 2x gtx 680. There is so god damn much stutter happening....it's not even funny. I'd rather play on a single gtx 680 than having to play on quad sli....

I figure switching to the 690 wasn't all bad. At least it's on a 16x pcie 2.0 slot as opposed to the previous 8x/8x config. Though guess it doesnt matter since its 2 gpu's. Also a single 690 has less micro stutter than sli 680's. Though I never actually noticed any micro stutter on my sli 680's. There's less power usage on a dual gpu board, as opposed to my 2x 680's. And this board oc'd to about the same level as my 680's. So I'm happy about that. Heat has also not been an issue. And the card is sexier. And has an awesome lit up led badge on it which is always a plus.

Oh dear, well as you say at least you can return 1 of the 690s and still have an improvement of sorts over your older setup. But yes, silly Hyper :)

whitespider
09-18-2012, 04:52 AM

Now we wait for my 780's. P.s. yes. You all told me so. You're welcome for my $250 mistake. Valuable lesson learned instead of just hypothesized. At least I bought it locally and can easily return my second card. And it came with a copy of borderland 2 or whatever. So....$250 mistake becomes $190 mistake? :P

I did, kind of warn you.... Not that it helps me saying that.

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 10:03 AM
New to the forums but I made the same mistake. The gtx 690 performed worse then my SLI gtx 4GB 680's. I think its because of the 2GB vram limitation. I dont know what Nvidia was thinking when they decided 2GB per GPU was enough for a $1,000 video card. If your paying the high dollar price, shouldn't you be getting the performance to match?

HyperMatrix, did you by chance run GPU-Z or some other program to see how much vram was being used? I'm curious.

Not even VRAM limitation. It would be using less than 1gb and have the same issue. One thing that concerns me is that gpu-z reports the card running in pcie 3.0 16x mode, when I have a pcie 2.0 motherboard that does 8x/8x in dual card setups. So I don't know if that maybe has something to do with it. But the stutter was soooo noticeable and bad...I'd never witnessed that before. Never ever going beyond 2 card sli.

Will just have to wait for new CPU and video card around march I guess.

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 10:04 AM
I did, kind of warn you.... Not that it helps me saying that.

Having never experienced micro-stutter before, I thought it was just some kind of geek oversensitivity issue. Also...there is nothing micro about this stutter. At 125hz/FPS, it felt like I was playing at 40hz almost.

n0rp
09-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Perhaps u can make it less by changing a setting [Nvidia] Maximum Pre-rendered Frames/ [AMD] Flip Queue Size

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Perhaps u can make it less by changing a setting [Nvidia] Maximum Pre-rendered Frames/ [AMD] Flip Queue Size

Can't change pre-rendered frames setting in SLI. It's ignored.

nvidia
09-18-2012, 11:39 AM
I also noticed that drivers made a huge difference. I got better FPS in most games with the 301.xx drivers then I did with any of the beta or newer drivers.

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 11:44 AM
I also noticed that drivers made a huge difference. I got better FPS in most games with the 301.xx drivers then I did with any of the beta or newer drivers.

Any difference in micro-stuttering? I already re-packed the second card and don't want to pull it out and install it just to try the older drivers. :P 3D Mark 11 gave me about 40% higher score with 2 GTX 690's as opposed to a single GTX 690. But the big problem for me is the stutter. It makes it unplayable. 60 fps with no stutter is better than 200 fps with stutter.

n0rp
09-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Why the rush? Don't u have something called right of withdrawal? (Called ångerrätten in Sweden)
When you purchase a product or service at a distance or at the doorstep, you have by law the right to cancel the purchase within 14 days.
I'm definitive gonna buy a 7970 to run CF as soon as the Catleap arrives and tweak as much as i can within 2 weeks.
And if its unfixable//(its broken) send it back?!

Sn0_Man
09-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Ummm not sure there is that kind of "right" in Canada. However, I know where hyper got his cards and they have an excellent, no-questions-asked 1 week return policy. 1 week isn't that long though.

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Well I've gained no benefit by having it. Even if it gave me 10%-20% higher performance than my old cards, I'd have kept it. Problem is, it made games unplayable because of the stutter. :(

nvidia
09-18-2012, 02:14 PM
HyperMatrix, some thing has to be wrong. I did not experience any worse micro stutter then duel gtx 680's. In fact, it is supposed to be much better since the gtx 690 has its own processor on it to distribute the GPU load, so duel GTX 690 should not have much more micro stutter then dual gtx 680. I immediately uninstalled the new drivers when I started FFXIV because the FPS was very inconsistent and made the game unplayable. I reinstalled 301.42 and it was like butter. Also this may seem like a dumb suggestion, but did you make sure you used 8-pin power connectors on all the power inputs? I made the mistake of accidentally thinking it was a 6-pin and 8-pin set-up. My main suggestion would be to try different drivers. Nvidia drivers are very unpredictable and they are well known for making glitchy drivers, just as AMD is.

Also, id make sure the drivers for the chipset are up to date.

ssss
09-18-2012, 03:48 PM
The chip that handles the gpu lanes in the gtx690 has much more latency that a dual solution sithout that chip

Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk 2

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Well I just did some more testing. Reflashed Mobo bios. Cleared CMOS. Updated all chipset drivers. Reverted to 301 drivers. And still same issue. I actually get lower performance in evga tests than I did with the single 690. To explain the visual issue...there are small hiccups in the frames being shown. There's no framerate drop. It just hiccups, and continues. Possible pcie 2/lanes limitation? Maybe....but I'm here with 2 choices now:

1) return one gtx 690 and get $1080 back
2) buy new case/Mobo/CPU with pcie 3.0 support for about $1400

The difference between the 2 is $2500 in my pocket. And there is no guarantee that is what is causing the issue so it may be $2500 that gives me an extra 20%-50% which I'd be ok with, or the problem could just be lame micro-stutter(I'm only assuming that's what this is. I don't know for sure). But that could end up being $2500 down the drain.

Sneaky
09-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Don't spend ya money just yet, send one 690 back, recoup some money and wait till 7XX series cards come out, then build a system around that. ;)

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Don't spend ya money just yet, send one 690 back, recoup some money and wait till 7XX series cards come out, then build a system around that. ;)

Yup. That's what I had planned until buddy there gave me false hope. Lol.

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 04:25 PM
I'll say one thing...monitor overclocking is more dependent on your video card than we thought. Now that I'm on the 690, I'm sitting stable at 130hz in SLI with a 28 awg cable.

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 04:46 PM
So here's some more info to back up my claim of the stutter being a pcie lane issue. When running in 2-gpu mode (card one rendering with gpu 1 and 2 only) with the second card set as a dedicated physx processor only, the exact same stuttering/hiccuping existed. And i scored lower on evga benchmarks. Take out the second card...and hiccups/stutter are gone. And my benchmark performance goes up.

Arg!!! Thoughts? I want to figure this out without just assuming.

Sneaky
09-18-2012, 04:49 PM
One card ... runs in x16 mode, 2 cards run in x 8 mode and remember each card is a dual GPU card ...... can you say bottle neck?
Sounds exactly like what is happening to me.

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 04:53 PM
One card ... runs in x16 mode, 2 cards run in x 8 mode and remember each card is a dual GPU card ...... can you say bottle neck?
Sounds exactly like what is happening to me.

That's exactly my guess as well....but whether that's the reason for the stutter or not...is what I'd like to know. :(

Jrule2
09-18-2012, 06:03 PM
That's exactly my guess as well....but whether that's the reason for the stutter or not...is what I'd like to know. :(

Well if you can hold out for another week I could test my setup and see what kind of results I get.

I should be able to run two at x16 without any problem.

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Well if you can hold out for another week I could test my setup and see what kind of results I get.

I should be able to run two at x16 without any problem.

16x pcie 3? or 16x pcie 2?

Jrule2
09-18-2012, 06:41 PM
pcie 3.

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 07:07 PM
pcie 3.

I'd love to see your results, man. That'll make my job so much easier. What CPU are you/will you be running? And what's it clocked at?

Jrule2
09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
I'd love to see your results, man. That'll make my job so much easier. What CPU are you/will you be running? And what's it clocked at?

I'll definitely send them your way. It's running a 3930k. On air I had it at 4.6ghz easily. Hoping for 5ghz+ on water by the time I try test the dual 690's.

jedi95
09-18-2012, 07:35 PM
This isn't related to the stuttering problem, but I think it's important enough to mention here.

As you all know, SLI/Crossfire use AFR (alternate frame rendering) as the method of splitting up work between GPUs. In terms of pure FPS gain, this is the best way to do it. However, there is an input lag tradeoff which can be significant for fast paced FPS games.

Consider the following scenario:

A person has a single GTX 680 and can run BF3 at 100 FPS average on high settings. This person then upgrades to GTX 680 SLI, and gets 125 FPS on ultra settings.

In the single GPU case, the time to render a single frame is 1000/100 = 10 ms

For the 2-way SLI case the time to render a single frame is 1000/(125/2) = 16 ms

So even though you get better FPS in SLI, there is more input lag. In quad SLI this gets much worse. Consider that at 125 FPS in quad SLI the time to render a single frame would now be 32 ms.

nvidia
09-18-2012, 08:01 PM
My setup was 2 gtx 690's with a 3770k at 4.8ghz on the asus maximus V motherboard. I also have 16Gb of 2133mhz ram. I had no such problems with my 2 gtx 690's. The only issue I ran into was running out of vram.

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 08:56 PM
My setup was 2 gtx 690's with a 3770k at 4.8ghz on the asus maximus V motherboard. I also have 16Gb of 2133mhz ram. I had no such problems with my 2 gtx 690's. The only issue I ran into was running out of vram.

With a single 1440p display and only 2x msaa, vram isn't a concern for me right now. It's the other part. Maybe I'll call tech support for the video cards and see what they say as well.

Also for gaming...3770k, or 3930k? Overclocked, of course.

whitespider
09-18-2012, 09:00 PM
With a single 1440p display and only 2x msaa, vram isn't a concern for me right now. It's the other part. Maybe I'll call tech support for the video cards and see what they say as well.

Also for gaming...3770k, or 3930k? Overclocked, of course.

I see where you are going hypermatrix, maybe 3.0/vs/2.0 is the cause.

Possible.

Also possible that some people see microstutter and others don't.

It's your call.

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 09:31 PM
I see where you are going hypermatrix, maybe 3.0/vs/2.0 is the cause.

Possible.

Also possible that some people see microstutter and others don't.

It's your call.

What I'm seeing is literal hiccups and choppy framerate, while not reporting any drop in framerate. I'm hoping for the love of god that what i'm seeing isn't microstutter because what I witnessed should be illegal...

nocturnal7x
09-18-2012, 09:51 PM
take a video of it :D

plex
09-18-2012, 09:53 PM
if you run more than 1 gpu (sli, cfx) you will have micro stutter, thats why i only bought one HD7970 because i have 100% smooth perfect clean playback... i have tried SLI and Crossfire in the past.. WILL NEVER do it again....

whitespider
09-18-2012, 10:03 PM
if you run more than 1 gpu (sli, cfx) you will have micro stutter, thats why i only bought one HD7970 because i have 100% smooth perfect clean playback... i have tried SLI and Crossfire in the past.. WILL NEVER do it again....

I had a single 5870 a few years ago. Then I went 6990. Regretted it as much as it sounds like you did.
Then I got a single 670. Loved it. Then SLI 670. Loved it.

whitespider
09-18-2012, 10:07 PM
What I'm seeing is literal hiccups and choppy framerate, while not reporting any drop in framerate. I'm hoping for the love of god that what i'm seeing isn't microstutter because what I witnessed should be illegal...

My time with skyrim and the 6990 was spent with consistent headache inducing chop, same went for most other games. You can really detect it when you look at the ground, it jutters and looks like it's skipping frames.

Battlefield 3, Metro 2033. So many games had severe, crippling, microstutter on that card.

plex
09-18-2012, 10:14 PM
SLI has the worst micro-stutter that i have ever seen, it will literally skip large chunks of frames when it can't keep in sync.. maybe driver updates and newer cards have fixed this, but the 5xxGTX series was horrible.. I had 4870 in crossfire also, and that wasnt so bad, it was maybe a small stutter every minute or so.. not so bad but still not acceptable.

I cant vouch for the latest cards in dual gpu setups...but all i know is my single GPU setup HD7970 GHz eddition is a monster and slaughters 1's and 0's like james bond slays bitches.. i havnt had one issue with FPS in ANY game at highest settings (at 1080p)

HyperMatrix
09-18-2012, 10:22 PM
take a video of it :D

I had to take the card out again because it was unplayable and pissed me off even while on the desktop and browsing. What I'm having a hard time understanding is why 2x gtx 680's = no microstutter in the slightest. (that I can perceive). GTX 690 is supposed to have less microstutter than the 680. So, ok, I have 2 of them going. But how do I go from none on 2x 680's, to completely unplayable on 2x 690's? Like...I'd be turning in BF3, and I can't keep track of my turn because it keeps skipping/dropping frames it seems 2-3 times a second. I may have to take a video to see what the experts say regarding what's happening.

Jrule2
09-19-2012, 01:36 AM
I had to take the card out again because it was unplayable and pissed me off even while on the desktop and browsing. What I'm having a hard time understanding is why 2x gtx 680's = no microstutter in the slightest. (that I can perceive). GTX 690 is supposed to have less microstutter than the 680. So, ok, I have 2 of them going. But how do I go from none on 2x 680's, to completely unplayable on 2x 690's? Like...I'd be turning in BF3, and I can't keep track of my turn because it keeps skipping/dropping frames it seems 2-3 times a second. I may have to take a video to see what the experts say regarding what's happening.

I'm no expert on SLI, but maybe you're bottlenecking the second card with x8 under pci-e 2.0. If a dual GPU card has no trouble running on x16 then I presume a single GPU card should be fine on x8, hence the reason you've gone from no noticeable stutter with dual 680's to almost an unusable setup when trying to occupy the second (x8?) slot with a 690.

Sneaky
09-19-2012, 01:39 AM
That was my logic as well ;)

HyperMatrix
09-19-2012, 01:40 AM
I'm no expert on SLI, but maybe you're bottlenecking the second card with x8 under pci-e 2.0. If a dual GPU card has no trouble running on x16 then I presume a single GPU card should be fine on x8, hence the reason you've gone from no noticeable stutter with dual 680's to almost an unusable setup when trying to occupy the second (x8?) slot with a 690.

Yeah that's what I need to determine/confirm before spending another $1500 on new Case/Mobo/CPU. So I will wait for your benchmark results. :)

whitespider
09-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Yeah that's what I need to determine/confirm before spending another $1500 on new Case/Mobo/CPU. So I will wait for your benchmark results. :)

I would personally just stick with the 690. You get better microstutter mitigation than the 680's you had. No framerate boost. But getting a new "everything" when you will have to do it again anyway - when the next cpu's and 780's come out. Seems like extreme double handling.

Shadman
09-19-2012, 11:12 PM

Just send them to me, I have x16 + x16 lanes, and in a few months after testing I'll let you know.

HyperMatrix
09-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Oh if you thought I was stupid before...give me a couple more hours....

Jrule2
09-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Oh if you thought I was stupid before...give me a couple more hours....

Hahaha you didn't go out and buy a new board already did you? I happen to have a board setup and should be able to do some tests tonight (hopefully).

HyperMatrix
09-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Patience!

Seyumi
10-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Is there any update on this situation from Hypers 4x 680'sor anyone else who has duel 690's or quad 670's? I’m in the EXACT same boat you are Hyperwhere my two GTX 680's just aren't going to cut it for GPU intensive games tomaintain 120FPS @ 1440p.

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing and switchingout my 2 680's for 2 690's and call it a day but now I'm scared about all themicrostuttering and stuff. I know you have tri SLI right now and are enjoyingit but how did it turn out once you got your 4th GTX 680 up andrunning? Was there unbearable amount of microstuttering as well? Are you sticking with a tri or a quad setup?

HyperMatrix
10-02-2012, 03:08 AM
Perhaps it's just me but I don't notice microstutter. I think I could have been just as happy with 3 cards as I am with 4. That having been said, there was no way I was going to return my 4th card. I call it futureproofing. And the nice thing is, I can run my cards without OC'ing them. Almost all games end up being CPU limited instead of GPU limited. Which is nice. And I can turn on all the eye candy in the world and still have these cards power through it. :)

And I'd recommend 4x 680's over 2x 690's. The 690's heat up a little too much imo. They do have slightly less performance. And each slot has to do double bandwidth duty. Not sure if that's a good idea. But I'd bet 4x 680 > 2x 690 in benchmarks any day. But mostly...because of 4GB per card. If you get a 690, you get just 2GB of VRAM. And with all that graphics processing power, you'll want to turn up anti-aliasing/etc...and most games will take you over 2gb. So, i'd do either 3x 680's or 4x 680's. But you'd be happy with 3.

And don't ask me about Microstuttering because I don't know what it is! Turns out the issue I had was just pcie lane bandwidth limitations on the old motherboard. And it is not an issue on my new board.

Mandarin
10-02-2012, 05:26 AM
If you looking at running that kind of setup, better invest in a R4E...

PS I use the term "invest" very loosely..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD