PDA

View Full Version : Anti-glare film, anyone have any experience?

Clueless Monkey
09-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Hi!
Have anyone tried applying films or any other methods of reducing glare from shiny monitors?

Thinking along the lines of this (http://www.photodon.com/p/MXH-5755-01K.html)
A lot of marketing loco lingo going on, so not sure about how good the results are.

Havent had any glossy monitors yet, but doesn't hurt knowing what options you have. :cool:

Cheers!

whitespider
09-17-2012, 05:15 PM
I had.. well, still have. But it's collecting dust now - a u2711. It had anti glare coating. I find the screen is a lot sharper and easier to read at 2560x1440 without it.

The catleap does not (in my opinion) produce quite as nice colours or backlight as the u2711, but I think the lack of anti glare is a plus. Not a minus. The only time that reflections anno you is with bright unnatural lighting in the room and pure black on the screen. And even then it's mild.

Mkilbride
09-17-2012, 06:25 PM
I had.. well, still have. But it's collecting dust now - a u2711. It had anti glare coating. I find the screen is a lot sharper and easier to read at 2560x1440 without it.

The catleap does not (in my opinion) produce quite as nice colours or backlight as the u2711, but I think the lack of anti glare is a plus. Not a minus. The only time that reflections anno you is with bright unnatural lighting in the room and pure black on the screen. And even then it's mild.

They use the same panel.

So, that's purely in your head.

ToastyX
09-17-2012, 06:47 PM
That's not true. They are different panel models with different backlights. The U2711 has wide gamut CCFL backlighting, while the Catleap has standard gamut LED backlighting.

Wide gamut monitors display more saturated colors, but to me that's a bad thing for regular use because most images and videos are not intended to be displayed on wide gamut monitors. Only color-managed programs with a proper color profile can display them properly.

Some people like the extra saturation even if it's not accurate, but to me the colors on wide gamut monitors are too intense and can affect skin tones as well.

There was a Korean monitor that used the same panel as the U2711, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore: http://www.overclock.net/t/1245326/davi-d279sv-vgq2-pics-and-info

whitespider
09-17-2012, 06:57 PM
That's not true. They are different panel models with different backlights. The U2711 has wide gamut CCFL backlighting, while the Catleap has standard gamut LED backlighting.

Wide gamut monitors display more saturated colors, but to me that's a bad thing for regular use because most images and videos are not intended to be displayed on wide gamut monitors. Only color-managed programs with a proper color profile can display them properly.

Some people like the extra saturation even if it's not accurate, but to me the colors on wide gamut monitors are too intense and can affect skin tones as well.

This.

As for the u2711 wide gamut colouring, as toasty said, it's a personal preference thing. Since games are fantasy and not at all real, I find a lot looked vibrant in 'the right way' on the u2711.

And in another thread, I was telling toasty that I thought the colours on the u2711 where 'more accurate' than the catleap. This is true and untrue, and certainly my lack of knowledge played into this. The u2711 might be able to display a wider range of colours, however only specific graphics programs can accept 30bit+. So if I am painting a scene in zbrush, it won't be as vibrant when transferred to a more mainstream format. Unless you have two monitors and add saturation to the image prior to exporting on the more 'neutral' screen, to match what you where getting on the u2711. Or at least emulate it.

Which kind of seems like double handling. I stick to what I said about the color banding however toasty. I am willing to swear, hand-to-chest, that I get more banding on this catleap than I ever did on the dell.

PS. I went offtrack.

Back to point, as I said. The catleap 2b is not all that shiny.

Clueless Monkey
09-18-2012, 02:49 AM

Only reason why I looked into it was all the people complaining about glossy monitors being the end of the world and what not. :p
Nice. I'm waiting for the monitor to ship now, can't wait...

No matter what the differences in glossy or not, I'm guessing going from a TN-panel to IPS is going to be the frogs legs, cat with a hat, balls to the walls pure awesomeness!