PDA

View Full Version : The pet peeves of the pc snob.

whitespider
09-17-2012, 10:12 PM
I guess caring about hardware and specs for so long has made me a little bit of a pc snob. What I, and possibly some other people on this forum - forget however. Is that the overwhelming majority are not.

Which brings me to the topic of this thread. What are some of the things that you see written in message boards, youtube comments, and other places of conversation that make you go "SIGH".

Here are some of mine:

1. "It runs fine"

What the hell does "runs fine" even mean. I'll give you a context.

Forum Thread "CAN I RUN BORDERLANDS 2?"

Answer one: "It runs fine here"

Um.. Ok. So is that standard 14fps? 210fps? Runs fine is so vague that it could literally mean anything.
I have an uncle, years ago I went around to fix his computer. He was playing the witcher (good game) - anyway, looking over at his screen, I started having a small seazure. I asked him if I could alt tab and run fraps, went back into the game. 14fps.

I started to sweat. And slightly shake. What..why.... I jumped into the graphics options and he said "no, don't do that, it runs fine"

IT RUNS FINE???!?!?!! FINE!!! I'll GIVE YOU FINE.

2. The human eye can't see above....

Me "My god, dark souls is capped at 30fps"
Average Consumer "People like you disgust me, the human eye"

THERE IT IS. THE HUMAN EYE.

3. Dude, microstutter is all in your head.

Granted, people perceive things differently. But no need to tell me that my observations are false simply because you don't share them.

There are lot's more. I'll edit my post if I can remember them.

Sneaky
09-17-2012, 11:15 PM
lmao .... this is nothing ... every time I go over to my parents house I have to show my Mum how to copy something from
one folder to another. Computers aren't for everyone (that goes for technology in general), some just don't have the capacity to learn.

nocturnal7x
09-18-2012, 12:38 AM
My gaming PC did not cost 5k and I don't need to upgrade every year, your console is not rendering 1080p, Don't tell me your gamepad is better than my m/kb, I can sure tell the difference between 30/60/90 +fps, so what if I can't lay back on my couch and play game, I have a comfy chair and sit in it for hours and its very relaxing.

Just a few ive had arguments about lol.

whitespider
09-18-2012, 01:09 AM
@ Sneaky

I get super frustrated when my mother asks me things about the pc. "TELL ME, DON'T COME AND DO IT, I NEED TO KNOW"

"well first you double click my computer, then C:"

"whats c"

"It's a hard drive"

"I don't see it"

"It's the thing there that says c"

"oh right"

"and then you click user"

"user what's that"

"it's a folder"

"no, i mean, what does it do"

"it's a folder"

(I won't go on).

--------------------------

@ Nocturnal

Yeah, the whole comfort argument falls apart. I often lack back on my bed and play pc games, i just swivel the monitor wall mount towards the bed, and done. Pull out the beanbag, comfort zone.

-----------------------------

BlackOctagon
09-18-2012, 01:33 AM
LMAO! Whistespider I never realised how badly all this bugged me until you typed it out. I just finished having an argument with a mate over the fps cap in Dark Souls. He now thinks I'm an utter snob and a pain in the arse to boot.

Lol, seriously thinking of changing my sig to:

"I'LL GIVE YOU FIIIIIIINE!!!!" - whitespider

Sneaky
09-18-2012, 02:11 AM
@ Sneaky

I get super frustrated when my mother asks me things about the pc. "TELL ME, DON'T COME AND DO IT, I NEED TO KNOW"

"well first you double click my computer, then C:"

"whats c"

"It's a hard drive"

"I don't see it"

"It's the thing there that says c"

"oh right"

"and then you click user"

"user what's that"

"it's a folder"

"no, i mean, what does it do"

"it's a folder"

(I won't go on).
OMFG .... That is the story of my life lmao

BlackOctagon
09-18-2012, 04:53 AM
"It runs fine." This is being defined more and more by console games I fear. "Fine" means basically 20-30fps on medium settings @ 720p and no AA
I hope the next wave of console tech pulls us out of this, but I fear it probably won't

whitespider
09-18-2012, 05:05 AM
4. The guy who get's it all set up up for him. Aka. Asshat gangster (or ruthless business owner).

Him "Yeah, bro, I got a completely maxxed out rig, run it thouh me 6 fuckin plasma and all"

Me "Sorry, what, I can't even understand what you are saying?"

Him "I got it all figured out bro. Water cooled 690's bro. 6 plasma screens. Chicks dig it."

Me "Do you even know what those expensive parts do?"

Him "Fuck yea. They play games"

me "No, I mean.. Like, what the gtx 690 does"

him "Plays Quake 3 at very high bro!"

Me " Right.. It's actually a gra..."

him "check out my lightshow in the pc, got all the leds hooked up by my mate, shit hot rig"

Me "so how did you pay for the whole thing, must have been ten grand, more?"

Him "I got it all figured out. Don't you worry about that...hold on, phone call"

Him again "Yeah, take care of it you fucking cunt, if I see that cunt show his face again i'll chop his head off"

BlackOctagon
09-18-2012, 05:11 AM
LOL, my personal peeves tend not to involve NSW gangsters of less-pure-than-they'd-like-to-think-mediterranean descent, but perhaps I'll just count myself lucky

whitespider
09-18-2012, 05:15 AM
LOL, my personal peeves tend not to involve NSW gangsters of less-pure-than-they'd-like-to-think-mediterranean descent, but perhaps I'll just count myself lucky

That's actually loosely based off experiences i have had with some lebbo's who where friends of my uncle. They (yes plural), thought the brightness of the leds was the highlight of the system, and a gtx 690 was only a powerful graphics card because it looked badass. Even the shortcuts on the desktop have even been set up for them.

There is a surprising amount of people like that. Systems we would only dream of, yet only care about the 'bling' factor.

Arauthator
09-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Is this the time for someone to post that anyone who wants a computer, or use one, should have to have a license? :D

whitespider
09-18-2012, 04:06 PM
5. The poor man

Me: You should really get a pc, they are so much better.
TPM: Thats like 2k for the monitor, 10k for the computer, and then I have to upgrade every 2 months. And for what? Pretty graphics and RTS games?
Me: It's not that expensive anymore....
TPM: Dude, pc gaming is for rich people.

2 hours pass.

Me: So how much did that tv cost.
TPM: 10k, true top of the line model.
Me: How much did that couch cost?
TPM: I don't know, a few thousand. What's up with the questions?

Dawgdoc
09-18-2012, 05:21 PM
I think this thread is hilarious :)

I work in a colleagues office 2 days per week to help him out. HUGE pet peeve of mine he runs his monitor at some other than recommended resolution for his monitor and it makes EVERYTHING distorted. Its not my office or my computer and all i do with it is surf the web in between appts so i leave it alone but it BOTHERS THE HELL OUTTA ME!!! rofl...

He also tapes his mouse cord to the keyboard tray with like 1/8mm of "wiggle" in the cord. Not sure how he even moves the damn mouse.

Some people really shouldnt even have computers imo.....

Neoshroomish
09-18-2012, 07:56 PM
he runs his monitor at some other than recommended resolution for his monitor and it makes EVERYTHING distorted
Holy shit, that would drive me insane. I lose it whenever I see someone watching a movie at the wrong aspect ratio like nothing's wrong. I also find it annoying when people go to the effort of buying incredibly expensive TV and surround sound setups and then mostly watch 480p camrips, youtube videos, etc, and never set up the surround sound so it's actually working.

whitespider
09-18-2012, 08:50 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img708/3253/44660584.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img543/2801/14214185.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img100/6583/90760870.jpg

Skinnysloth
09-19-2012, 01:18 AM

Sneaky
09-19-2012, 01:22 AM
LMFAO ..... I love these forums :D

HyperMatrix
09-19-2012, 01:32 AM
My biggest pet peeve is people who criticize you for having a better computer than them. Simply because they decided against buying the same gear, they choose to hate on you to help justify their reasoning for not doing the same. Which is always followed by the "dude the human eye can only see 24/30/40/60 fps anyway so nice waste of money" argument. If you can even call that ridiculous statement an argument. :P I'm running 130hz now, and boy I can certainly tell the difference between 100hz and 130hz.

whitespider
09-19-2012, 01:54 AM
My biggest pet peeve is people who criticize you for having a better computer than them. Simply because they decided against buying the same gear, they choose to hate on you to help justify their reasoning for not doing the same. Which is always followed by the "dude the human eye can only see 24/30/40/60 fps anyway so nice waste of money" argument. If you can even call that ridiculous statement an argument. :P I'm running 130hz now, and boy I can certainly tell the difference between 100hz and 130hz.

That's bullshit, the human eye can only see 99fps.

BoZo
09-19-2012, 02:07 AM
That's bullshit, the human eye can only see 99fps.

Listen to this man, he's got a 4950GHz CPU.

HyperMatrix
09-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Zomg! On a side note...reddit just came out with a new policy banning anyone who hates on people who have high end pc's/gear because of how out of hand it had gotten. It's like the whole iPhone/Android thing. People feel the need to defend the choice they made by making sure everyone else thinks just like them. :P

whitespider
09-19-2012, 02:16 AM
It goes both ways. I have seen pc snobs not entirely unlike myself, except less pretty - totally have a go at console players. They said something along the line of "My god that version of skyrim looks terrible, you guys should play it on pc, it looks way better on pc"

TO THE CROSS FOUL SNOBS.

HyperMatrix
09-19-2012, 10:03 AM
It goes both ways. I have seen pc snobs not entirely unlike myself, except less pretty - totally have a go at console players. They said something along the line of "My god that version of skyrim looks terrible, you guys should play it on pc, it looks way better on pc"

TO THE CROSS FOUL SNOBS.

It's true though...and I hate consoles for holding back the quality of pc games. :(

Sn0_Man
09-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Zomg! On a side note...reddit just came out with a new policy banning anyone who hates on people who have high end pc's/gear because of how out of hand it had gotten. It's like the whole iPhone/Android thing. People feel the need to defend the choice they made by making sure everyone else thinks just like them. :P

Reddit or /r/gaming? I'm assuming the latter.

It's true though...and I hate consoles for holding back the quality of pc games. :(

TBH I kinda do too... :p

HyperMatrix
09-19-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't know what all these geek sites are. Lol. I saw it on /r/gaming whatever that is and I thought it was reddit?

Sn0_Man
09-19-2012, 10:32 AM
When you submit content to reddit, it is submitted to a "subreddit" aka community within reddit. The /r/gaming community is very large and well known for being... pretty loosely moderated and not exactly high quality content (although funny if you like memes/witchhunts/circlejerks).

HyperMatrix
09-19-2012, 10:42 AM
When you submit content to reddit, it is submitted to a "subreddit" aka community within reddit. The /r/gaming community is very large and well known for being... pretty loosely moderated and not exactly high quality content (although funny if you like memes/witchhunts/circlejerks).

Well, I mean, who doesn't love a good circle jerk? -_-

n0rp
09-19-2012, 01:03 PM
LOL ,I'm not so sure.. from a dictionary:

An act where several individuals (usually male) masturbate in a circle (hence, circle jerk). This group activity was first practiced and invented in Australia.

xD

HyperMatrix
09-19-2012, 01:10 PM
LOL ,I'm not so sure.. from a dictionary:

An act where several individuals (usually male) masturbate in a circle (hence, circle jerk). This group activity was first practiced and invented in Australia.

xD

I don't get it. So are you saying you're not in?

n0rp
09-19-2012, 01:17 PM
I am always ready to learn and like being taught.

whitespider
09-19-2012, 04:45 PM
6. VIDEO COMPARISONS

HEY FOLKS, THIS IS IGN (or any other mainstream gaming website) today we are showing you the graphics differences between the XBOX PS3, AND PC versions of borderlands 2, the witcher 2 (you get the point).

----------------------------
640x480 window size
High Level of vide compression
Showing 480/720p content.
30fps or below
----------------------------

Comments for article:

Consoleluva:
Wow, they don't look any different.

Inbred monkey:
Pc version looks slightly better. But I can't really tell the differnece.

Whitespider: That's because they are using a 30fps, 480p, highly compressed video to compare the game, resolution, framerate, none of that is taken into consideration.

I literally have a console stuck inside my anal location:
Shut up whitespider. All i hear is BLAH BLAH BLAH, I'm a pc snob. I think the version's don't look any different, so i'll be sticking with my ps3. It will run fine on that.

^^^ 200 upvotes for "I literally have a console stuck inside my anal location's comment"

nocturnal7x
09-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Dude, I love this thread, whitespider I lol'd.

*edit* looking at the comments for that video im seeing examples of almost everything we discussed in this thread so far haha.

whitespider
09-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Dude, I love this thread, whitespider I lol'd.

*edit* looking at the comments for that video im seeing examples of almost everything we discussed in this thread so far haha.

AND GUESS WHAT, I NEVER ACTUALLY WATCHED IT (or read the comments, i assume you are talking about the borderlands 2 video)!!

I have just seen enough of this stuff to turn my hair grey.

nocturnal7x
09-19-2012, 05:19 PM
^^yea :P

whitespider
09-28-2012, 12:53 AM
7. Maxxed out

Youtube title : 570 SLI Maxxed out.

(The guy is running 1600x900 and is running a game that is not SLI enabled. Yet he thinks it's sli, and somehow magically maxxed out, with two x's)

Forum thread -

I run skyrim at ultra maxxed out.

(At 40fps, with stuttering, at 1280x720, without any of the ini tweaks that makes skyrim look half good)

YET ANOTHER TERM THAT MEANS NOTHING IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT ANYTHING MEANS, AND IF YOU DID KNOW WHAT IT MEANS YOU WOULD NOT USE THE GOD DAMN TERM.

There are many, many, many other completely ignorant examples of "MAXXED OUT", this is but a small sample. If you think about it, there is no such thing as 'maxxed out'. Since a prototype Qled (you better believe it) from a nuclear bunker in japan (you better believe it) is more MAXXED OUT BRO than anything we might be using. And setting ungodly levels of AA that cripple the framerate might technically be more "MAXXED OUT BRO" than 8x aa. I mean, it's completely flawed. The whole concept of maxxxxxxxing something out. Computer systems are not as linear as a term could ever quantify.

By all means, say you have it at it's highest settings including a specific AA setting or framerate. But don't say Maxxed out. And for the love of GOD don't use two X's.

IM USING A HD4000 AND MAXXOuT CrYsIs 2 BO.

Cpt.Teacup
09-28-2012, 03:22 PM
You know what bothers me? People who don't type properly. *cough*whitespider*cough*
Seriously, learn how to use periods properly. :p

whitespider
09-29-2012, 08:04 AM
You know what bothers me? People who don't type properly. *cough*whitespider*cough*
Seriously, learn how to use periods properly. :p

That's the pet peeves of the university lecturer. Hold onto the well-intentioned ammunition for that one good sir.

Cpt.Teacup
09-29-2012, 03:30 PM
That's the pet peeves of the university lecturer. Hold onto the well-intentioned ammunition for that one good sir.

Ah, my mistake. ;)

The other day my sister asked me to fix her laptop when an Avast popup told her to click the update button...

Two of the things I hate most:
When I see someone's desktop and there's a bunch of update icons sitting in the system tray.
When someone thinks I can make a device perform outside of it's capabilities and then get mad at me when I tell them I can't and refuse to listen to my explanation.

The second one happens to me all the time from my mom and sister. The most recent was when a TV channel was really quiet and they told me to make it louder when the speakers were turned all the way up, then when I told them that there's nothing I can do short of rewiring the speakers they started yelling at me for being lazy and never doing anything for them. What's funny is that if it weren't for me, their laptops would barely function, if at all, the printers would not work, and they would have to get a cable guy just to hook up the TV.

Sometimes I wonder what it's like to be so incompetent. :confused:

Shadman
09-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Sometimes I wonder what it's like to be so incompetent. :confused:

As a tech guy, I really have no idea. I have this as my hobby (and it branches off into so, so many things) I never really run out of things to do. But other people, not technically inclined, do seem rather...blank.

Related to the topic, this guy I know stopped playing PC games and went to console because it was "too easy" to move and aim the mouse. And he says he doesn't notice any fps limits or barely any graphics differences, just a few.
I don't talk to him anymore.

Cpt.Teacup
09-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Well, at least he's challenging himself with an analog stick...

Shadman
10-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Well, at least he's challenging himself with an analog stick...

Found out today, he is bad on the PC anyway. He must have been playing single player games :D

whitespider
10-07-2012, 04:56 PM
7. The console gamer who thinks that a pc is a "RTS/MMO box"

"I have no interest in world of warcraft or CIV5. That's the only games that are better on pc anyway" - Console gamer.

Sigh.

Cpt.Teacup
10-16-2012, 07:03 PM
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Excusing the grammar, this is one of the stupidest sayings I've heard. If it's broken, then fix it. If it isn't broken, then why not make it better? If we followed that saying, we would still be stuck in the stone age.

HyperMatrix
10-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Lol. I've seen more than a couple posts on the Planetside 2 forums now where a user has asked how they can get their gamepad to work with the game because they find the gamepad analog sticks are much easier to aim with than a mouse. Planetside 2 is an FPS.

Sneaky
10-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Saw an auction on eBay last night a guy was selling an old Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, his
Listing read: "Intel Chipset for Sale" ... lol

Dawgdoc
10-17-2012, 03:42 AM
Lol. I've seen more than a couple posts on the Planetside 2 forums now where a user has asked how they can get their gamepad to work with the game because they find the gamepad analog sticks are much easier to aim with than a mouse. Planetside 2 is an FPS.

Wow.....that is one of the biggest /facepalms I can think of actually. So much so that I dont think I even need to explain why LOL....

Well, at least it makes it easier for keyboard + mouse users to shit all over them!

Jaylumx
11-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Mine pet peeves is when you get a reply like "I love my (insert hardware brand)" is response to starting a thread seeking technical help. How the hell does you loving your hardware help me solve my problem /facepalm

Biggest peeve is when your OP is very specific yet the replies still deviate from OP like a recent example when I sought advice in acquiring a 2.0 desktop speakers at a particular price range. While i did get very helpful responses, the odd responses like "Does it have to be 2.0" and then summarily recommends 2.1 speakers gets my goat. There was a reason i worded the OP the way i did as i had considered all my options......Oi-vey

OskyATL
11-10-2012, 10:19 PM
As a tech guy, I really have no idea. I have this as my hobby (and it branches off into so, so many things) I never really run out of things to do. But other people, not technically inclined, do seem rather...blank.

Related to the topic, this guy I know stopped playing PC games and went to console because it was "too easy" to move and aim the mouse. And he says he doesn't notice any fps limits or barely any graphics differences, just a few.
I don't talk to him anymore.

Theyre just general consumers who treat the pc world with the same brush. When dealing with thing like buyers remorse and cognitive dissonance the world is what you make it. Billy mase produces fantastic products, the ionic breeze is the best air purifier, diet caffeine pills really work(so does extenze), amway is a sound business investmemt, and consoles lead the markets in cutting edge technology.

HyperMatrix
11-11-2012, 05:51 AM
Theyre just general consumers who treat the pc world with the same brush. When dealing with thing like buyers remorse and cognitive dissonance the world is what you make it. Billy mase produces fantastic products, the ionic breeze is the best air purifier, diet caffeine pills really work(so does extenze), amway is a sound business investmemt, and consoles lead the markets in cutting edge technology.

Oh my god...I had an acquaintance of mine chat me up all buddy buddy like on Facebook last week. Starts talking about jobs and money and etc then asks me if I've heard about amway, this awesome system I'd totally be into that pays you a whole 4% for selling things to people. Yeah...no thanks. I have more business sense than to get involved in this crap.

Gar
11-11-2012, 12:46 PM
This thread is awesome!
There is a guy I work with who thinks ps3 on his 50 inch plasma is the best thing ever.

whitespider
11-11-2012, 06:28 PM
8. - Eurogamer, and it's bloody video comparisons/benchmarks.

Today we will be comparing the pc and xbox 360 versions of the witcher 2.

[ In box 1] we have the 360 version, as you can see it looks favorable to the pc version below.
[ In box 2] we have the pc version, it's a little prettier. Not that much however.

Comments:

xboxking2012: I can't even tell the difference. The pc version looks brighter or something. LOLZ, glad I own a xbox.

Sex offenderLEET: I shit myself. Nothing to do with this article.

MaxPayneUMUM: They look the same.

Pcsnob: Um.. is that.. a 720p picture of the pc version? Who the hell runs their game at 720p on the pc. And there is no ssao in the screenshot, did eurogamer run this game at 720p at low settings? WTH?

Artpitstalker: Ssao? What's that. Your cat's name?

Shitforbrains: @Armpitstalker LOL!!!

Pcsnob: It's a huge part of the game's lighting engine. It makes the game has depth to the world.

Condomhat: Dude. Get over yourself. It's a game. The two versions look identical. I would personally get the xbox version because I don't like how low rez the pc version looks.

Pcsnob: ....

Sneaky
11-11-2012, 07:25 PM
8. - Eurogamer, and it's bloody video comparisons/benchmarks.

Today we will be comparing the pc and xbox 360 versions of the witcher 2.

[ In box 1] we have the 360 version, as you can see it looks favorable to the pc version below.
[ In box 2] we have the pc version, it's a little prettier. Not that much however.

Comments:

xboxking2012: I can't even tell the difference. The pc version looks brighter or something. LOLZ, glad I own a xbox.
Sex offenderLEET: I shit myself. Nothing to do with this article.
MaxPayneUMUM: They look the same.
Pcsnob: Um.. is that.. a 720p picture of the pc version? Who the hell runs their game at 720p on the pc. And there is no ssao in the screenshot, did eurogamer run this game at 720p at low settings? WTH?
Artpitstalker: Ssao? What's that. Your cat's name?
Shitforbrains: @Armpitstalker LOL!!!
Pcsnob: It's a huge part of the game's lighting engine. It makes the game has depth to the world.
Condomhat: Dude. Get over yourself. It's a game. The two versions look identical. I would personally get the xbox version because I don't like how low rez the pc version looks.
Pcsnob: ....

bwahahahaha ... I think I just peed a little lmao!

BlackOctagon
11-11-2012, 08:49 PM
ARMPIT stalker?!?! LOL!

Cpt.Teacup
11-11-2012, 10:57 PM
whitespider, when I have kids I'll get you to name them.

whitespider
11-17-2012, 05:32 AM
9. The wannabe pc snob.

Wannabe: You don't know what you are talking about. Games are so much smoother at 60fps. I can't believe you console nooblets run your games at 30fps. LOL
Saintly Console Nut: The human eye can't see above 30 frames per second.
Wannabe: I think it's 48fps.
Saintly Console Nut: Anyway, control pads play first person shooters better.
Wannabe: Yeah, but most pc games support the xbox 360 pad!!
Saintly Console Nut: At least console games are optimized for the platform.
Wannabe: My graphics card is more optimized than the xbox cpu.

WRONG ANSWER PUNK.

OskyATL
11-17-2012, 09:51 AM
WTF

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/OskyATl/Untitled.jpg

BlackOctagon
11-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Hahaha, INfamous

HyperMatrix
11-17-2012, 03:55 PM
WTF

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/OskyATl/Untitled.jpg

Hahaha. Circle jerk invented Australia? That's funny because white spider is Australian I think.

Sneaky
11-17-2012, 07:05 PM
LMFAO! ... funniest thread ever!
I'm an Aussie but thank god I have never been part of a Circle Jerk before lol

n0rp
11-17-2012, 08:29 PM
u Shure ,)

whitespider
11-18-2012, 12:13 AM
120hz monitor circle jerk invented australia

OskyATL
11-18-2012, 12:17 AM
120hz monitor circle jerk invented australia

people will search for anything.....*scrolls down*

whoops! :p

Cpt.Teacup
11-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Isn't this thread basically a circle jerk for tech snob's e-peen?

OskyATL
11-18-2012, 01:13 AM

I'm just curious how the 'circle jerk invented Australia.' I figure it's probably in their national anthem. :p

whitespider
11-18-2012, 04:54 AM

Kind of. It's also us rebelling in a harmless way against all the console snobbery that get's tossed around on the internet. And humor.

whitespider
11-20-2012, 11:41 AM
10 - The friend who always says everything is pc performance perfection when that's not the case for anyone else on the entire planet

So hitman absolution has a radically changing framerate. Kind of like assassins creed 3. The fps darts around all over the place. Before I played it, my friend (who's name I have excluded out of respect for him) said it was getting 80fps now that there was a sli profile. This got my hopes up. He has 2x 470's after all.

I asked him if he got 80fps consistently. And he said "yep".

This is a mockup comparing his "YEP" to the actual nature of the game using the latest drivers.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/9370/newbitmapimage4rz.png

"Yep"
"Yep"
"Yep"
"Yep"
"Yep"
"Yep"
"Yep"

BlackOctagon
11-20-2012, 12:05 PM
He's an 'average' kinda guy, eh?

Sneaky
11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
He's an 'average' kinda guy, eh?
Yep .... lol

whitespider
11-28-2012, 12:36 AM
11. When you get a game crash and the error message reads:

"Error e7406 - This application has stopped responding, please do something meaningful with your life"

BlackOctagon
11-28-2012, 12:52 AM
11. When you get a game crash and the error message reads:

"Error e7406 - This application has stopped responding, please do something meaningful with your life"

Huh, never got that one. I guess your PC must not be very good mate :)

OskyATL
11-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Huh, never got that one. I guess your PC must not be very good mate :)

I'm sure it runs fine.

whitespider
11-28-2012, 02:02 AM
I'm sure it runs fine.

Yeah, i get frames per second on my computer. It runs fine.

Sneaky
11-28-2012, 04:21 AM
I'll give you fine!:p

BlackOctagon
11-28-2012, 06:43 AM
LOL, this thread should have run its course a while ago, but it's just too damn funny

whitespider
11-28-2012, 07:19 AM
LOL, this thread should have run its course a while ago, but it's just too damn funny

12. People that say threads have run their course.

Person 1: "LOL, this thread should have run its course a while ago"
Person 2: "12. People that say threads have run their coarse"

... What?

OskyATL
11-28-2012, 11:33 AM
12. People that say threads have run their course.

Person 1: "LOL, this thread should have run its course a while ago"
Person 2: "12. People that say threads have run their coarse"

... What?

Circle Jerk.

Sneaky
11-28-2012, 08:51 PM
circle jerk.
lmfao!

HyperMatrix
11-29-2012, 02:21 AM
Yeah, i get frames per second on my computer. It runs fine.

Random n00b in Planetside 2: "I dunno why you guys are always getting bad performance I'm playing on a 4 year old computer and 1024x768 resolution and I easily average 20 fps. The game runs fine."

BlackOctagon
11-29-2012, 03:57 AM
Random n00b in Planetside 2: "I dunno why you guys are always getting bad performance I'm playing on a 4 year old computer and 1024x768 resolution and I easily average 20 fps. The game runs fine."

Hmm...part of me scoffs at such n00b comments. Yet another part of me is strangely jealous. When 20fps @ 1024x768 is all you know then you're easily satisfied. Sure, you don't know what you're missing. But once you DO learn what you've been missing, suddenly the bar is raised a hell of a lot higher, and you end up quibbling about stuff (like the loss of smoothness triggered by the use of SSAA and the resultant framedips from 120fps to 90fps)

Where will it all end? Will we still be whingeing 10 years from now, about the fact that we can only maintain 480fps averages @ 4k res with 32x AA if we deign to spend more than 350 bucks on our GPUs (APUs?)? I don't know whether the prospect excites or scares me

whitespider
11-29-2012, 04:04 AM
Cycles end and new ones begin. The Cycle is a Cycle. Everything loops back into itself. Cabbage..

BlackOctagon
11-29-2012, 04:22 AM
"Cycle is a Cy-
cle. Everything loops back in-
to itself. Cabbage"
- Lil' Book of Haikus by whitespider (A.K.A. San Pedro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinopsis_pachanoi#Alkaloids))

Cpt.Teacup
11-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Cycle jerk...?

whitespider
01-09-2013, 06:05 PM
12. (or whatever the hell number we are up to). When you catch yourself mid post saying "it runs fine" and then realize that you are a living breathing double standard

HyperMatrix
01-09-2013, 06:14 PM
One of my biggest pet peeves is people who have no idea what network lag/server response delays are, and have absolutely no idea about how the net code for fps games work, and always claim they don't have any lag without knowing what network lag is. They're the same people who tell me their 4 year old computer is running the game fine so they don't know why I'm complaining about low performance.

I've been thinking about making a fps game netcode simulator that easily and visually demonstrates the effect latency has between your computer and the server, and another players computer and the server, and general server overloading because I'm so tired of people who just have no clue yet feel like they need to argue with me about this.

whitespider
01-09-2013, 06:26 PM
One of my biggest pet peeves is people who have no idea what network lag/server response delays are, and have absolutely no idea about how the net code for fps games work, and always claim they don't have any lag without knowing what network lag is. They're the same people who tell me their 4 year old computer is running the game fine so they don't know why I'm complaining about low performance.

I've been thinking about making a fps game netcode simulator that easily and visually demonstrates the effect latency has between your computer and the server, and another players computer and the server, and general server overloading because I'm so tired of people who just have no clue yet feel like they need to argue with me about this.

It probably won't change anything. The only people who will actually read what you write will be people interested in the first place, like me. And I already have crazy high standards like you.

My uncle does not care if I raise the resolution of his monitor from 1920x1080 to 800x600 or vice versa. If i explain to him in great detail 'why', he won't really care. He'll be happy it runs. 14fps, 200fps, same difference.

I'll tell you one thing, if we all had his attitude, we would have a lot more money in our accounts. That's for damn sure.

LNCPapa
01-09-2013, 06:33 PM
What are you guys talking about? My Q6600 + 8800GT still runs everything on max even with my 2b @ 120Hz.

whitespider
01-18-2013, 10:01 PM
13. The blind man who has 20/20 vision. (otherwise known as the -know it all-)

Someone who speaks as if everything they say is fact', while only ever basing it on things he/she read in a forum or on a information sheet.

FRED THE BUTCHERS ASSISTANT "AMD has superior hardware, see in this 'convenient benchmark' it shows that AMD has the clear statistical lead.

MARK THE STEALTH NINJA SPACE ASSASSIN "Ok, but have you actually used the competition and compared them, like, you know, in real life"

FRED THE BUTCHERS ASSISTANT "I AM GOD MOTHERFUCKER. BOW TO ME. BOW YOU SCUMSUCKING GUTTER TRASH.

HyperMatrix
01-18-2013, 10:05 PM
I see what you did there...haha.

Crackatoah
01-19-2013, 05:49 AM
Lol yeh I see so many people saying "this GPU is better than that one" or "this CPU is better than that one" and they cherry pic a few charts from reviews sites to make it look true. Then you go to the same review site and you post like 10 charts saying the opposite haha

Tytealeus
01-19-2013, 08:33 AM
This has been a thoroughly enjoyable thread - many laughs indeed. I don't have any to add that I can think of atm as most of mine have been mentioned already - the 'mum situation', console gamers, and people claiming that eye's have a limited frame rate. The last two I generally stop talking to them shortly after. It's all amusing eventually :P

whitespider
01-19-2013, 10:41 AM
12. Oliver Twist.

I AM STARVING ON THE STREET, I BEG FOR PENNIES AND I SHIT ON THE PAVEMENT. I MIGHT AS WELL BE IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY.

I can't afford no pc. I can't afford no pc.

I HAVE AN INJURY IN ONE EYE THAT ALLOWS ME TO ONLY SEE PURPLE. MY DOG HAS NO LEGS. I SOMETIMES EAT DOG LEGS. METEORS RANDOMLY HIT ME WHILE I WALK. I HAVE ONE DOLLAR THAT I CALL SAMUEL.

I ONCE SAW SOMEONE USING A PC. I ATE THEM.

I COLLECT CAPS LOCK KEYS.

/random

winterhell
01-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Voodoo 2 SLI + Banshee ought to be enough for everybody. Real gamers play Broodwar and Counter-Strike 1.6. I mean, LOOK AT IT GO.

Shadman
01-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Voodoo 2 SLI + Banshee ought to be enough for everybody. Real gamers play Broodwar and Counter-Strike 1.6. I mean, LOOK AT IT GO.

1.6? Please, counter strike has only ever copied Call of Duty, especially Counter Strike Source (1.7) and omg so much on CSGO (1.8)

BlackOctagon
01-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Ok I wanna play goddamn it!

15. The Therapy Patient (Yes that's right, 15. Some of us around here can count)

The guy who joins a forum just to post a troubleshooting thread, and then proceeds to ignore all advice.

Woe_Incarnate: Hey guyz I need help. I saved up for a second 660 and I don't think my rig is running well. I checked reviews and should be getting at least 100fps in Crysis 2 but I'm only like 45-50fps. Any ideas?

Fat Cracktagon: What's your rig dude? Also, have you tried other games or benchmarks to ensure that it's not a problem limited to that game?

Snotfire_Rox: +1 also ensure you have the SLI bridge properly connected. Also worth checking that the new card is working by itself in the slot that was unoccupied before.

Woe_Incarnate: Yeah SLI is defo enabled in the NVIDIA control panel. Here's the review I was talking about on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoNJ0fzS9Jc

Snotfire_Rox: Dude amateur YouTube videos aren't recommended as a comparison for what you have. So many so-called 'maxed out' videos on YouTube are no such thing. Did you try what I suggested above?

Fat Cracktagon: Exactly. That guy just says he's playing in 1920x1080. No details on whether settings are all on max, and what kind of AA he has enabled. Also, you can't see a FPS counter, he's just reported 100fps as his average in the video description. Also, still need your specs...

Woe_Incarnate: Ok so I swapped the cards round like you guys suggested, and also updated my BIOS as well just to be safe. Now it's even worse I get massive artifacting. And what's driving me nuts is that these framerates are basically what I had on 1 660. I DON'T UNDERSTAND???

Fat Cracktagon: If you're getting the same framerates as before then this suggests that SLI scaling is not working for some reason. Did you try the above steps we suggested or not?!?!

Woe_Incarnate: Guys I give up. Really thought SLI 660s would be great with double the VRAM but looks like I'll have to go back to living without 32x SGSSAA. Thanks for nothing, NVIDIA, lolz

The entire world: OMFG where's the shotgun?

whitespider
01-22-2013, 02:52 PM
never underestimate the power of 32x SGSSAA.

winterhell
01-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Triple SLI and you'll get 48x TurboTXMSAA

whitespider
01-23-2013, 06:04 PM
16. This thread shall never run out of steam.

Person 1: Hi.
Person 2: Hello.
Person 1: This thread shall never run out of steam.
Person 2: Hello.
Person 1: Hi.

Shadman
01-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Yo

Fimconte
01-27-2013, 03:41 AM
Console Ports without any sort of mouse control optimization (I'm looking at you Ace Combat).

The bomber mission had me at a murderous rage where I was contemplating the slow and painful death who thought wasd+arrow keys are a "good" choice for controlling a plane.

Crackatoah
01-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Its the worst when they have mouse acceleration automatically ON and you also cant change the FOV. The Darkness 2 was like this and it was terrible, ruined a very decent game, couldnt even change it in the CFG.

whitespider
01-30-2013, 02:32 AM
17. Hd collections

change the entire nature of your gaming experience like never before seen on console. In full dramatic hd.

Crackatoah
01-30-2013, 06:01 PM
HD looks better than real life on my bluray player. Bluray is amazing

n0rp
01-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Haha, What special blue ray(player)?

Cpt.Teacup
01-30-2013, 11:34 PM

Xbox 180.

Crackatoah
01-31-2013, 02:26 PM

Bluray is a very advanced technology, it produces amazing vibrant and detailed HD visuals, something DVD could never do.

winterhell
01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
blu ray is only good for representing neon lights and other artificial colors. I hear that with yewworay they finally fixed the skintones by improving yellows and oranges.

Crackatoah
02-01-2013, 08:29 PM
blu ray is only good for representing neon lights and other artificial colors. I hear that with yewworay they finally fixed the skintones by improving yellows and oranges.

They stopped development on Yewworay some time ago, its all about wred beam these days its meant to be coming in Q4 of this year.

OskyATL
02-12-2013, 03:49 PM
whitespider hates plebs.

circle jerk invents Australia.

it runs fine, haiku.

whitespider
02-16-2013, 05:25 AM
18. "Push button , make go!"

Situation 1:
Me: "Did you set ssao profile in the game?"

Some pleb: "PUSH BUTTON MAKE GO!!!"

Situation 2:

Me: "I noticed this game runs a lot better with vsync on, you should turn it on in this game"

Some dishwasher: "PUSH BUTTON MAKE GO!!"

Situation 3:

Me: "Dude, the game's visuals are awesome if you go into the ini file and set the shadows to 8192 instead of 256. You should try it.

Some volcanic pelican: "PUSH BUTTON MAKE GO!!!!"

Situation 4:

Me: "Im getting 78fps in most cases, I think we need to lower the draw distance in order to get a more consistent framerate, what did you do to get it smooth?"
Some pikeman riding a bike: "PUSH BUTTON MAKE GO!!!"

Push button make go people might 'seem' to be pc tech nerds. But they are fake. They don't care about 'details' only 'results'. It's admirable playing a game for the game, but not if you can substantially improve the experience. That's willful ignorance and stubbornness - Strange Bearded Narrator.

HyperMatrix
02-16-2013, 05:39 AM
And here I thought you were doing a joke on Nvidia's "Geforce Experience" app. 99% of people who pretend they know shit online don't know squat. It's amazing the statements I hear. Absolutely ridiculous statements. And they say it with such conviction that it scares me. Ooh ooh...I got one!

Me: Hey. Did you guys hear anything about new multi-core optimizations in the upcoming patch? I'd really like to get some better performance out of this game.
Some random scrub: Haha you suck dude I have a $400 computer and it runs fine for me.

It's surprising how often people feel the need to make that comment, in regard to that type of question. And not surprisingly, it's always from the scrubs who have 5 year old computers. I've never had someone say "Hey..I have a similar system, with an OC'd processor and SLI setup, and I'm getting higher FPS than you. You should consider making these adjustments to the settings to improve performance." It's always that douche who wants to get himself involved by making no statement other than trying to say his computer plays it fine. And surprisingly, often followed by "yeah I play at 1024x768. you totally gotta do that dude" or some other garbage.

Tytealeus
02-16-2013, 05:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivrspu5-Bhc
It goes for about 7 minutes but it's pretty close to the type of people you're talking about, so give it a go ;)

Shadman
02-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Oh God. Did you make that yourself?

LNCPapa
02-17-2013, 12:19 AM
I sat there for seven minutes with my mouth open in awe.

BlackOctagon
02-17-2013, 06:19 AM
Oh come on, that guy was either taking the piss or mentally damaged. With Australians it's sometimes hard to distinguish the two

whitespider
02-17-2013, 06:52 AM
oh come on, that guy was either taking the piss or mentally damaged. With australians it's sometimes hard to distinguish the two

gasrbnsr>?

Crackatoah
02-17-2013, 07:17 AM
I need to get some blue lights in my case to keep my temps down.

Sneaky
02-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Oh come on, that guy was either taking the piss or mentally damaged. With Australians it's sometimes hard to distinguish the two
My graphics card is made by Microsoft ;)

OskyATL
02-18-2013, 12:24 AM
Have fun guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJx-C0-uL8c

BlackOctagon
02-18-2013, 03:10 AM
Have fun guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJx-C0-uL8c

1439 dislikes and counting (and rightly so, that build is very lacklustre)

HyperMatrix
02-18-2013, 03:11 AM
1439 dislikes and counting (and rightly so, that build is very lacklustre)

"This is going to handle all your gaming needs for 1 or 2 years, AT THE LEAST." I guess technically it's still better than playing the game on xbox/ps3. I could do a computer better suited to gaming than that for around $1000 I think.

whitespider
02-18-2013, 03:19 AM
I was about to type "if I had that much money I would reduce the case and components and put it on two graphics cards" then I remembered my frametimes on this rig and how crysis 3 is not exactly frame time king.

From what I can tell so far, the more advanced stuff a game is throwing at you. The less impressive the frametimes get across the board.

Shadman
02-18-2013, 04:32 AM
Just 1 minute 11 seconds in, they already fucked up a few things....LGA 2001? And they are using DDR ram?

Oh IGN...so many mistakes it hurts. This is just going to get console gamers thinking you need to spend that much on a machine for it to be worth it..

LNCPapa
02-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Yeah - the build process was actually pretty painful to watch. The parts weren't that bad (and people sometimes have their own reasons for the parts they choose) but watching the actual assembly gave me a headache.

Crackatoah
02-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Lmao they had the heatsink blowing down into the graphics card!

He also made a right mess of the thermal paste.

Haha major face palm 2 @13:45

He said the PSU fan side needs to be facing down to blow the air out of the case!

Fimconte
02-19-2013, 03:41 PM
I actually think they couldn't fit the heatsink vertically maybe?
At least it looks like there's very little clearence between the heatsink and the GPU.

Crackatoah
02-19-2013, 04:18 PM
I actually think they couldn't fit the heatsink vertically maybe?
At least it looks like there's very little clearence between the heatsink and the GPU.

Know they just didn't know wtf they were doing lol

nocturnal7x
02-19-2013, 08:39 PM
That video is priceless.

Shadman
02-20-2013, 04:28 AM
Oh jeez, they did all that? I'm glad I stopped watching..

whitespider
02-21-2013, 08:27 AM
19. Will it run X Game? JUST FINE.

My name is sam because sam is a generic name: Hi.

Whitespider: My god that name is generic.

My name is sam because sam is a generic name: It's on my birth cirtificate, blame my mother.

Whitespider: So did you check out my games report thread?

My name is sam because sam is a generic name: Yes. Not a big fan.

Whitespider: Why?

My name is sam because sam is a generic name: Lack of rotating fins. Oh, and I could not actually find information that's important. Like, can I 'run' this game.

Whitespider: That's because only ancient computers are unable to run things. My thread is more about what frame perception a game offers, and if we can run it on our high refresh rate displays.

My name is sam because sam is a generic name: Surely the most important thing is if we can actually run the game. I tried the crysis 3 demo, and it ran just fine. Why can't you just say if it 'runs' on a certain hardware.

Whitespider: Because that's against everything I believe in.

My name is sam because sam is a generic name: You don't believe in the most core principle of gaming, can we actually play a game or not.

Whitespider: What's more important is 'how' a game plays. Not if it plays.

My name is sam because sam is a generic name: Wrong, I run crysis 2 just fine, I run crysis 3 just fine. And I have a gtx 460.

Whitespider: But what does "just fine" or "fine" even mean?

My name is sam because sam is a generic name: It means it plays acceptably to me. You write an entire thread, and you impose your high standards on everyone else. That's what I take offence at. I don't want you to tell me if my game runs fine. That's my job.

Whitespider: This is weird....

My name is sam because sam is a generic name: What's wierd about what I said.

Whitespider: It's just I have this thread going, about pc snobs. And every person that I "mock" generally makes completely retarded invalid points. I am probably going to mock you. As you are a fabrication. But something strange happened. You actually made some valid points.

My name is sam because sam is a generic name: I guess that means that your ego is kind of falling apart right?

Whitespider: I don't know what's happening. I'm just going to leave it there. This is freaking me out.

Shadman
02-21-2013, 10:29 AM
I think whitespider is actually two people. like his avatar.

BlackOctagon
02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Sam may be prone to the odd spelling mistake, but he sure knows how to spot a thread in need of more rotating fins

Crackatoah
02-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Open your arms wide palms facing the sun and imagine this; Slow close up images of a crab, multiple shots from different directions close up upon the surface of the image, spanning across the crab in a slow motion from different directions to the instrumental music of Point of no return by Immortal technique.

whitespider
02-21-2013, 05:21 PM
20. People with yellow party hats and sparklers that talk about crabs

Open your arms wide palms facing the sun and imagine this; Slow close up images of a crab, multiple shots from different directions close up upon the surface of the image, spanning across the crab in a slow motion from different directions to the instrumental music of Point of no return by Immortal technique.

No

Crab: No.

Crackatoah
02-21-2013, 05:26 PM
The chocolate bar then stalked its prey in the wildernes

killf4ce
02-22-2013, 04:45 AM
I know Immortal Technique killed that crab cos i was there with him and i killed that crab too.

Crackatoah
02-23-2013, 01:09 PM
I just farted and green slime came out my left ear :o

LNCPapa
02-24-2013, 01:03 AM
Is that what you're calling the hole connected to your rectum now?

HyperMatrix
03-06-2013, 03:01 AM

winterhell
03-06-2013, 04:26 AM
Frames per second is a concept created by evil corporations that need an excuse to take your money for fancy stuff. You can perceive motion from static images like in comic books.
You can even read a book and use your damn imagination

Cpt.Teacup
03-06-2013, 11:26 AM
You can even read a book and use your damn imagination

Who needs books when you can just bang your head on the wall?

Shadman
03-06-2013, 02:15 PM
And the world is flat.

winterhell
03-06-2013, 02:17 PM
And the world is flat.
well duh. All buildings have flat foundations. And the sea surface is flat.

BlackOctagon
03-06-2013, 03:51 PM

Wow.

Wow

killf4ce
03-07-2013, 04:27 AM
Wow.

Wow

wow indeed. SMH.

Although on the bright side a whole new world of anger has arisen with the release of the ps4 specs..... apparently according to some, Pc users now are clueless because the ps4 has such 'high end' hardware.... still only outputs at a miserable 1080p tho - although trying to explain that to the console crew is like trying to explain algebra to an armadillo (not to mention the fact that the reason ps4 is nearly as good as a half decent gaming rig from last year is that AMD developed the chip and welcome to dx11 (if they indeed went that way or a new API maybe if not, although they probably don't know that an API is so its pointless)). That said it IS a pretty decent upgrade from the ps3, im sure the console boys will be creaming their pants thinking that 1.84 teraflops sounds really cool ...
but.... 1808p tops? pfffft.... im sure it'll run just fine :)

HyperMatrix
03-07-2013, 04:42 AM
wow indeed. SMH.

Although on the bright side a whole new world of anger has arisen with the release of the ps4 specs..... apparently according to some, Pc users now are clueless because the ps4 has such 'high end' hardware.... still only outputs at a miserable 1080p tho - although trying to explain that to the console crew is like trying to explain algebra to an armadillo (not to mention the fact that the reason ps4 is nearly as good as a half decent gaming rig from last year is that AMD developed the chip and welcome to dx11 at last you idiots!). That said it IS a pretty decent upgrade from the ps3, im sure the console boys will be creaming their pants thinking that 1.84 teraflops sounds really cool ...
but.... 1808p tops? pfffft.... im sure it'll run just fine :)

1.84 tflops is uber. Over 1/3rd of what a single one of my titans can do. :P though honestly I do expect it to eventually deliver graphics comparable to a gtx Titan thanks to console efficiency.

killf4ce
03-07-2013, 05:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TptSxiFRAM

Pretty decent, but certainly not mind blowingly amazing

HyperMatrix
03-07-2013, 05:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TptSxiFRAM

Pretty decent, but certainly not mind blowingly amazing

You know what I've realized? I enjoyed consoles more before I knew about their internals. Before they were PC parts. I liked all pieces of hardware to be unique so there was nothing to compare it to. That way you didn't care about what it had. You cared about what the end result was. What you got to play. Whereas now we're dissecting the ram, CPU, gpu, and comparisons to PC architecture.

I miss the old days of consoles having this magical feeling attached to them with fancy names like the emotion engine, and the cell. Playing motor storm on ps3 the first time and going "wow...this is fucking amazing..." And thinking it was the coolest most awesomest thing in the world. :P

killf4ce
03-07-2013, 05:21 AM
1.84 tflops is uber. Over 1/3rd of what a single one of my titans can do. :P though honestly I do expect it to eventually deliver graphics comparable to a gtx Titan thanks to console efficiency.
ha! yep - the AMD cpu looks tidy, 8 core and all. Aren't they using dx11 now? I read somewhere was one of the possible routes they would take, a new and improved open GL being the other. I'm sure as you say it will eventually pump out some decent graphics, by which time PC Gpu's will be on directx 15 or something :)

killf4ce
03-07-2013, 05:25 AM
You know what I've realized? I enjoyed consoles more before I knew about their internals. Before they were PC parts. I liked all pieces of hardware to be unique so there was nothing to compare it to. That way you didn't care about what it had. You cared about what the end result was. What you got to play. Whereas now we're dissecting the ram, CPU, gpu, and comparisons to PC architecture.

I miss the old days of consoles having this magical feeling attached to them with fancy names like the emotion engine, and the cell. Playing motor storm on ps3 the first time and going "wow...this is fucking amazing..." And thinking it was the coolest most awesomest thing in the world. :P

yeah the majick has died a bit eh!!

although the downside to pc gaming has been the same forever - nothing was more frustrating than loading a game on a cassette player into a ZX Spectrum only for it to crash after 45 mins of loading !! at least we learnt young about computers crashing!!

HyperMatrix
03-07-2013, 05:40 AM
yeah the majick has died a bit eh!!

although the downside to pc gaming has been the same forever - nothing was more frustrating than loading a game on a cassette player into a ZX Spectrum only for it to crash after 45 mins of loading !! at least we learnt young about computers crashing!!

Can't say I can relate. Little too far back for my age. My first computer was a packard bell with a whopping 4MHz CPU and DOS in 1991 during the time of commander keen, prince of Persia, Hugo, and crystal mines. Prior to that it was an Atari because my parents were hardcore gamers or whatever the equivalent was in the 80's. :P

It's actually scary when I think about it...you don't realize how old you are until you start comparing the technological differences between now and then. 4MHz. Mind you, it came with an 8MHz turbo button. :P oh god...I'm going to be one of those old people telling youngins about how rough things were "back in the old days." Haha.

killf4ce
03-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Can't say I can relate. Little too far back for my age. My first computer was a packard bell with a whopping 4MHz CPU and DOS in 1991 during the time of commander keen, prince of Persia, Hugo, and crystal mines. Prior to that it was an Atari because my parents were hardcore gamers or whatever the equivalent was in the 80's. :P

It's actually scary when I think about it...you don't realize how old you are until you start comparing the technological differences between now and then. 4MHz. Mind you, it came with an 8MHz turbo button. :P oh god...I'm going to be one of those old people telling youngins about how rough things were "back in the old days." Haha.

Hahaha!! Back in the day when monitors were the size of houses arr. Yeah my parents had an Atari too! It's incredible how far it's come in such a relatively short time isn't it Horace goes Skiing and Frogger to Crysis 3 haha crazy. - scary that somehow now I'm considered an adult too :D

LNCPapa
03-07-2013, 09:54 AM
You sure about that 4 MHz in 91 Hyper? I had a 5 MHz 8088 in 87 and it was kind of old. I also got my 386 16 MHz in '91.

HyperMatrix
03-07-2013, 10:08 PM
You sure about that 4 MHz in 91 Hyper? I had a 5 MHz 8088 in 87 and it was kind of old. I also got my 386 16 MHz in '91.

I think it was 4MHz with an 8MHz turbo button. Or maybe it was 8MHz with a 16MHz turbo. I don't entirely remember. A very long time ago.

Gar
03-08-2013, 03:34 PM
http://games.on.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=184589&start=15

Unsuccessfully attempted to get BulletStorm allow >62 FPS (junk port, impossible) and during my research I happened upon this thread and thought of you guys.
I couldn't believe these people actually exist!

LNCPapa
03-08-2013, 03:38 PM
I got BulletStorm working just fine at 100+. I remember it was a bit of work but I'll have to look it up when I get home and post it here.

Gar
03-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Really? That would be awesome! I downloaded the ini editor and changed some settings to
bSmoothFrameRate=False
MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=140
in the BaseEngine ini, but no dice. The game is still capping at 63 FPS.

LNCPapa
03-10-2013, 12:46 AM
Perhaps I was smoking crack... but when I launch the game now it seems I have no save games and the frame rate is locked at 62. I'll let you know if I find out either way.

LNCPapa
03-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Nope... I found it. Simply grab the Bulletstorm ini editor, open the StormEngine.ini file in your Documents\My Games\BulletStorm\StormGame\Config folder with it and change the line bSmoothFrameRate=False
Just to be safe I also changed the two instances of
MaxSmoothedFrameRate= to my monitor's current refresh rate.

Gar
03-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks LNCPapa but even set to
bSmoothFrameRate=False
MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=144
It is still capped at 62 FPS for me for some reason.
I didn't mean to hijack this thread

LNCPapa
03-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Not sure why it isn't working for you... it's definitely unlocking the fps cap for me.
Did you change those values in both locations like I did? Here are the sections mine are in:
[Engine.GameEngine]
[Engine.Engine]

Gar
03-11-2013, 05:30 PM
I only changed it in one of the locations! That is definitely the problem.
I will fix it when I get home! Horray!

whitespider
12-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Gsync - The worlds most misunderstood tech.

Article: Nvidia shows of vsync, removes tearing and stuttering, game changer.

KillerPc2009 says: My games don't stutter. I don't need this tech. I have a 144hz monitor already and everything is silky smooth.

TOM HARDEY: I don't see the point of this? I already have 4 7970'S in quadsli, and never drop below 100fps even in the most demanding games.

Someone that's actually done gsync research: You do realize that this changes the entire definition of what smoothness is right:

TOM HARDY: ^^ Nvidia Troll

Tiny little bird person: LOL. i don't even see the point of this tech, everyone already has a smooth framerate, I don't stutter, Tom hardy does not stutter, nobody stutters, nobody notices tearing! What's the point?

Shadman
12-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Yeah I gave up on the GSync thread on OCN.

BlackOctagon
12-11-2013, 11:41 AM
I forgot about this gem of a thread, lol

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

Shadman
12-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Yeah me too. I should just repost everything from /r/pcmasterrace

whitespider
12-11-2013, 07:12 PM
God damn Australians and their circle jerking.

Anyway, instead of me making up some gsync debates, i am going to find some and copy paste them below.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/vg248qe-g-sync-nvidia-asus,24766.html

warezme , October 24, 2013 11:58 AM
G-sync doesn't make sense on a 1920x1080 panel maybe a higher resolution panel like 2560x1440. A fast card will do more for your frame rates than a G-synced monitor. If your card is fast it can usually push more frames than your monitor is set to at 60hz and you are not likely to notice any tearing or sync issues. Even at 120hz with a pair of fast cards it is rarely an issue.

Whitespiders comment: It's not about it 'not being an issue', and it's certainly not about resolution. And as for his framerates comment, yes, a fast card will do more for your framerates than a gsync'ed monitor. But framerates are arbitrary numbers that never actually fall in line what smoothness unless you are matching your refresh. We are talking PERCEPTION. This guy is so used to measuring everything in framerates, he's not willing to open his mind to the fact that perhaps everything he has thought was valuable, about 'framerates' is actually a big fat lie.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/169091-nvidias-g-sync-promises-better-faster-monitors-that-will-revolutionize-pc-gaming

shadowhedgehogz • 2 months ago −
What's so good about it?, it just seems like it tries to mask the effect of FPS going below 60.. by removing tearing... and that's all it has to offer? I wouldn't be playing games if they ran as low as 30fps anyway so.. i don't see a point in this unless you intend to game at low frame rates.

Well i have a 120hz display anyway.

I don't need to say much here, but obviously the guy misunderstands what gsync does. Gsync makes any framerate smooth, including changing numbers in the 100-120 range. Which are nearly as bad as 30fps, actually. Due to frame judder, yes, even with vsync off (vsync just makes the judder more apparent)

AND OTHER SOURCES I DON'T FEEL LIKE LINKING

By FJakimowicz on Oct 18, 2013
100usd is the difference between a mid range vid card and a high end one.. i would really prefer to invest that money in gpu and not in a proprietary - nonstandard solution to fix micro stuttering that could be abandoned from day to night.

For starters, mid range = 200, high end 700. So, no. Second, gsync might help microstuttering, but actual microstuttering is actually a separate issue from what gsync does. Single gpu's don't microstutter, yet they don't look smooth from 40 to 70fps, or 100 to 120 fps. Or any other time the fps shifts. And that's because we are not talking microstutter, but actual frame syncing issues.

iNCEPTIONAL Oct 20, 2013
I can't really see the difference in the video.

LOL

Yep. I bought my Catleap on ebay for $400 a year and a half ago, and now I have a 27" 1440p IPS display at 120hz. Why would I ever buy a G-sync monitor with a trashy 60hz refresh?

I'd only ever consider buying a 4k monitor with G-sync at this point. However, I don't see the point of even buying 4k until the technology is there to go higher than 60hz.

Yes, Ips is better. 1440p is better. At least from a snapshot point of voice. Boom. Take a picture, it looks far better. But this guys problem here is refresh rate, and that's such a smaller benefit than gsync. I know, this is close to home for a lot of you, but it's true. Gsync at 1920x1080p @ 60hz, would be far smoother than 120hz, unless that 120hz never drops a frame. Which basically means you play a counterstrike game that you can actually keep that exact fps in place. For everyone else with a shifting fps, i would argue 60hz gsync would be a far smoother, FAR FAR FAR, smoother, experience than a 120hz monitor without.

Having to go to TN, is horrible though, and my neurological issue that kicks out a lot of the color of my vision, means that going from ips to tn, is just that much worse for me. As well.

Fimconte
12-13-2013, 11:33 AM
So 120fps@120hz is still better than 60hz Gsynced as long as you never drop below 120fps?

whitespider
12-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Yes, but it must truly be never. Even if it drops a few times, that's some major immersion breaking. However if you play competitive high framerate games, and never stray outside of that. Then gsync won't really do much for you.

BlackOctagon
12-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Interesting. Consistent 120fps@120Hz is also the recommended situation for getting the most out of Lightboost. So why is Mark so excited by the fact that G-Sync with a strobing backlight is feasible? I assume it's because such a combo either:
1) allows one to reap the benefits of LightBoost at lower refresh rates, or
2) Still provides 'some' benefit over non-G-Sync setups at 120fps@120Hz

whitespider
12-13-2013, 06:07 PM
All of this still has to take place on a TN screen though. So while nividia combining lightboost and gsync might always be this exciting thing in 'theory' for me, it still means we have to put up with colors that can't ever be exciting.

Walking around in skyrim and being able to see all the details and writing on things because of lightboost and gsync working together = awesome, then you look at the sunset and it's a washed out mess. With no glory. Suddenly being able to read text while you move, and see things without motion blur becomes a less attractive thing. Literally. Maybe there are TN screens that don't look terrible, I've just not seen a single case yet. Before or after my visual snow symptoms.

That said, I am using a Tn screen right now, because my pc died AGAIN. And it's a cheapo TN screen with horrible glaring backlight, pretty washed out, and a thick as hell AG coating. And when I custom edit sweetfx and force the vibrancy shader to 1.00 (which is 100% more vibrant than stock colors, intelligently making the bolder colors richer) then it looks like a really garish ips. Which is still better than the washed out mess without. Garish ips >>>> TN. Lol, so who knows, there may be work arounds.

In the film world, there is a method of post process called bleach bypass, my profile pic actually uses a form of it, to make me seem more trendy. TN feels like the worlds strongest bleach bypass filter applied to everything. Then when you force the screen to produce fancy rich colors, it freaks. Sweetfx + TN = nowhere near native IPS, as the tn colors look fake. But I almost don't need colors to look real, i just need some richness. So i'm happy to force the TN saturation up and run sweetfx.

Shadman
12-14-2013, 03:22 AM
The numbers might be higher and look better because of it, but real-world usage shows that even lower values can look way better. No one is "settling" for lower here, it is just purely better.

whitespider
12-17-2013, 07:37 AM
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1419936-Gsync-is-a-bust-(yes-i-said-it-read-inside)

This thread wins the 'most uninformed, stubborn, ignorant, people in the universe' award.

Forget console gamers, this takes the cake.

BlackOctagon
12-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Wtf? People willingly choose to play in windowed mode - and accept the performance hit - just for the 'convenience' of being to alt-tab out of their games?!

Who are these people? Did their mothers teach them nothing?

Shadman
12-17-2013, 02:49 PM
I like alt-tabbing out of games occasionally as well, but never run windowed mode. This is just bad.

My favorite:

and I also hate to play games in the widescreen format.
Really? Won't even play games in Wide screen? How stuck in the past is this guy?

LNCPapa
12-18-2013, 09:17 AM
That forum looks like a whole bunch of third graders in a classroom arguing about who farted.

whitespider
12-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Also, they seem to be skimming over the fact that windowed mode actually reduces the quality as well

Shadman
12-19-2013, 05:52 AM
Leave it up to them to "game for xx years" and not notice the performance or quality issues because they want to alt tab.

Cpt.Teacup
02-02-2014, 06:59 PM
High end cards?whats the point?so those who get a smooth 100fps can get a smooth 150fps now? really not seeing the point.or is the bf4 engine that poorly optimized?

Like I said its only good for cards that see high FPS already so is kinda redundant currently.
Unless you're one of those annoying people that seriously believe you can see a difference between 70 and 90fps.

Maybe in the future it will be good but so far nobody will notice any difference at all.

How did we not realize this? What a genius.