PDA

View Full Version : Unable to configure SLI

Whomastadon
09-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Hey guys,

I am expecting my catleap 2B sometime today and over the weekend I tried to get SLI ready so its good to go. I found that I couldn't even see the enable SLI option in my Nvidia settings.

After updating drivers, reinstalling, changing SLI bridges etc etc I decided to check my graphics cards.
I have a sabertooth z77 and 2 x GTX 680s. The 680s definitely work. Ive put them in the first PCIE slot one at a time and got a display each time. I tried to put them in the second PCIE slot one at a time and did not get a display off either.

From this I think that the PCIE_2 slot is fkd. It's the first time I've tried to setup SLI or even use the PCIE_2 slot. I was wondering if this sounds like the reason I would not be able to get the " enable or configure SLI " option in Nvidia settings.

I'm trying to figure out if it either a hardware problem or a software problem ( conflicting drivers or something ) before I go buy another mobo because I cbf waiting months without one while it gets fixed.

If anyone has any idea I'd really appreciate it.

Arauthator
09-23-2012, 11:47 PM
First slot works, second one doesn't, sounds to me like the slot's dead.

Shadman
09-23-2012, 11:49 PM
What about the third slot?

The motherboard may not be set up to output video from anything but the first slot, so doing this will show you. Or maybe an option in the bios.

Let's determine the slot functionality before we worry about getting sli to work.

Whomastadon
09-24-2012, 12:59 AM
I can't even put anything in the 3rd PCI_e slot ( PCIe_3 ) because of all the front panel plugs and other things that plug into the bottom of the mobo so I'm not going to try. I'm confident it works becuase I can change the speed ( x1 - x4 ) of the PCIe_3 lane in the bios.

However, fter digging further into the bios I found this:

Advanced Setup
System Agent Configuration
NB PCIe Configuration

PCIe x 16_1 - Auto ( Can be changed to Auto, Gen 1, Gen 2, and Gen 3 )
PCIe x 16_2 - Not Present

I tried to boot up PCIe x 16_2 with every option but it still shows as not present.

Pretty sure it's fkd if it doesn't even show up in the bios. Just going to buy a new mobo and RMA this one

jonkul
10-14-2012, 11:01 PM
I had a similar problem recently, thought I think my bios reported 2 graphics cards. Each card would work when installed alone in the PCIe 1 slot, but when run together the second card would report a problem in the device manager, its fan wouldn't slow down to an acceptable speed, and the nvidia control panel wouldn't even recognize it. So I bought a new mobo (z77 instead of z68), and ivy bridge just to get pcie3 when I was at it. Still same problem...
Reinstalled Windows, worked like a charm. Early Windows 8 hickup perhaps?