PDA

View Full Version : LucidLogix Virtu MVP

HyperMatrix
09-24-2012, 01:37 AM
Hey. So...I've been trying to figure this out. Heard some good news, and some bad news regarding this product.

From what I understand after reading a couple forum posts (and I could be wrong here), what the program can do is instead of going like this:

Frame 1: GPU1
Frame 2: GPU2
Frame 3: GPU3
Frame 4: GPU4
Frame 5: GPU1
Frame 6: GPU2
Frame 7: GPU3
Frame 8: GPU4

It'll instead cut your monitor into 4 equal parts, and dedicated 1 GPU to each one of those sections. So all 4 GPU's would render each individual frame together. And by doing that, you lose the extra input lag caused by an SLI setup.

Anyone have any in depth experience with this product? For me so far, it's not good for Skyrim. But it works well in Planetside 2. But I'm trying to see if it's just a placebo effect I'm noticing or if it does indeed do something useful.

EniGmA1987
09-24-2012, 06:19 PM
I have no experience with it, but it seems like basically it changes how SLI works to run like Crossfire from AMD, but with custom drivers and such that may or may not work better. Unless Crossfire changed since it's first inception. Maybe it is different now but back in the day ATI was on about Crossfire being superior because all GPUs rendered part of the same frame and each GPU did more or less of the frame depending on how powerful the card was. That is why you were able to run something like a 3870 + 3750 in Crossfire. Havent seen people talk much about that for quite a few generations now though so maybe it is different.

LucidLogix is an interesting concept, I would imagine it needs very good driver support to work better than Nvidia's implementation. It is possible that Skyrim just isnt as optimized for the Lucid stuff, but Planetside is?

whitespider
09-24-2012, 09:12 PM
I have no experience with it, but it seems like basically it changes how SLI works to run like Crossfire from AMD, but with custom drivers and such that may or may not work better. Unless Crossfire changed since it's first inception. Maybe it is different now but back in the day ATI was on about Crossfire being superior because all GPUs rendered part of the same frame and each GPU did more or less of the frame depending on how powerful the card was. That is why you were able to run something like a 3870 + 3750 in Crossfire. Havent seen people talk much about that for quite a few generations now though so maybe it is different.

LucidLogix is an interesting concept, I would imagine it needs very good driver support to work better than Nvidia's implementation. It is possible that Skyrim just isnt as optimized for the Lucid stuff, but Planetside is?

No experience with planetside 2, however I tried most of the games it supported And it caused this really horrible microstutter in all of them.

It was quite possibly the most underwhelming thing i have ever installed on my pc. My sli 670's felt like they where a 6990. Yes. That bad.