PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have an iPad?

HyperMatrix
05-02-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm curious as I'm quite interested in iPad apps and gaming, and want to know if it'd be a waste of time to post videos of that kind of thing here.

Junkboy
05-02-2012, 04:41 PM
While I would love to own a 3 I can't justify the cost for a table that I know I won't get much use out of :(. With all the hate apple gets everywhere Idk how us tech people will respond but you're the boss so not much anyone can do about it :p. Though I know a couple of friends with a 1 and 2 and a couple of more with the B&N tablet and the Prime so I wouldn't mind seeing any vids on some cool games that hopefully have a mini version for ios and android phones.

Though I did see that Target is clearing out their Kindle fire's so maybe if they go down cheap enough I will get a tablet, I do have an amazon prime account so I could use the streaming services on the tablet.

here:http://slickdeals.net/f/4318488-Target-is-Clearing-out-Amazon-Kindles-starting-Tomorrow-Target-Clearance-Amazon-Kindle-Entire-Product-Line?token=AAMFAwAAAAAGOkHlGA

Socius
05-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Well I hated the android with a passion. It was a terrible platform. Until ICS came out. And until they build a proper tablet built fully on ICS, with the intention of being a top performer, it will continue to lag behind the iPad. Now I use a Galaxy Nexus and sold my iPhone 4S (though I kinda regret it due to the weak GPU and the pentile display) but it's a much closer match to the iPhone than android has been able to do for a long time. The Galaxy S3 should be very competitive. But yeah I think the iPad is fantastic. It has the best web browsing capabilities and I use it all the time. Splashtop, for example, is my favourite app for controlling/having access to my PC from wherever I go. And the new retina display doesn't hurt. Most of all...battery life is unrivaled.

I did have an HP Touchpad previously as well. And I found that, even at OC'd dual core 1.9ghz it couldn't keep up to my iPad's dual-core 1ghz processor. That's when I realized the iPad is really an amazing device. I'd never buy a Mac. But for tablets, Apple's still got the highest quality by a large margin. No one else puts in the same gpu power as apple does. I'm not sure why...

120HzNET
05-03-2012, 11:19 PM
I have several iPads in the house. When I first picked up the original iPad I did so simply because I am an early adopter and thought it was neat. I never really knew how it would fit into my lifestyle and whether I would keep it. Over the years the iPad has found its way into a little niche in my family and we have all three generations rolling about ScribCentral. Since we travel quite a bit there are tons of movies, music, etc on them and coupled with Apple TV makes for an easy way to queue up movies/music/pictures. Games are fun, but I rarely play them unless I am traveling. Ultimately, I find the pads to be just extra doo-dads around the house that I know I don't need, but know I really want (but cannot quite explain why).

Skydivingcows
05-03-2012, 11:46 PM
I have the Touchpad as well. I am happy I purchased it. It is a great device for $100 simply as a grab and go web browser. I OC it with F15C which is 1.5ghz? Now that I use Foxfi on android it makes the tablet even better on road trips. My gf is able to use her Kindle fire on Foxfi as well. hint hint, get that app on android. :) The TP and fire are both good devices. Especially since we grabbed the fire at walmart for $130 or so on BF.

I've been following slickdeals on that target thread as well JB. Amazing how it went from +100 thumbs to negative 100 in less than a day. I stockpiled $600 in target gift cards during the buy $50 get $10 gift card promotion. I was hoping to finish up the remaining balance. I like the fire since we have Amazon prime. It works smoothly with the site. I can't comment too much on it though 'cause everytime I'm on it my gf throws the TP at me. I've offered a trade at least 20 times. It never gets old saying my device retailed for nearly three times more but it never works either. I like the TP better as a browser but that's about it. I think the fire has better speakers than the TP and it weighs less so it is better for reading. I enjoy how all books, songs and apps I buy on my Galaxy Nexus pop up on the Fire and Droid as well since it's all the same login. The free rental book each month is an added bonus since it syncs your current page on the TP, Nexus, Fire and my old orig. droid. If you read several books a year than the Fire really has some money saving potential in that feature along with many books being free to download on Amazon.

As far as battery life I've never been concerned about that with the tablets. Anything that last over 6 hours is long enough for me. I never thought having a long battery life would be a bad thing until I lost the charger for an Asus EEE 1005 because I never charged it often enough. I still haven't found it. I ended up buying a tip for it with an igo charger.

Regarding the Ipad; we decided to sell the other laptop we had for exactly a year and purchase an Ipad 3. I can't commit to buying a 2nd gen Sandy bridge, at this time, so this seemed to be a fun choice until Ivy deals come around and then we'll decide if we want to keep it. I've been itching to try one out ever since I switched companies and turned in my Iphone 4. The games on Apple are much better imo.

HyperMatrix
05-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Yeah the iPad is an incredibly fun little device. For me though, half of what I use it for, is cloud-based. I run a splashtop server off my PC and have full access to my computer, videos, music, setting torrent downloads, accessing websites which are just easier/faster to do on a real computer. The games are surprisingly good quality for the price. The 10 hour battery life can't be beat. The screen is incredibly sharp and clear. And one big thing that Apple does so well..is that their devices are designed to be "an experience." When you get one, everything just 'works' without you feeling you wish you had a faster processor in it/etc...

Shadman
05-13-2012, 02:14 AM
I got an original iPad to use for free while my friend's dad looked for a buyer for it, and it was alright. It was cool enough to use to make me want to buy an Android tablet, so I got an Acer A500. Acer feels a little cheap (always a cheap company IMO) but its pretty cool.

Can't stand iOS.

unphased
05-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Can't stand iOS.

Can't stand your avatar.

Seriously. it's creepy as hell.

Not trying to antagonize you though. I want to mention that as people who are on this particular forum I figure we could all appreciate a 2048x1536 IPS screen. I know I love it to bits.

Junkboy
05-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Can't stand your avatar.

Not trying to antagonize you though. I want to mention that as people who are on this particular forum I figure we could all appreciate a 2048x1536 IPS screen. I know I love it to bits.

I find it "Unique", but I can see why someone would find it creepy :D

whitespider
05-13-2012, 04:39 PM
As someone who has spent a large part of his life in the art world, I have 'mostly' enjoyed the process of finding something creepy. If something subliminally plays on me, I like to question why. Sometimes I get no answer, the rewarding part is when I do.

What I don't like is something manipulative or genuinely mean spirited. That avatar is neither of those things. So I have no problem with it whatsoever.

As for the i-pad, don't have one. I generally like to keep anything mobile related to a bare minimum. It's one of the few areas of technology that I don't yet have any kind of interest in.

HyperMatrix
05-13-2012, 04:42 PM
I think my only policy is as long as what you're posting or making visible (avatars, uploaded pictures, etc) isn't going to get someone in trouble if they're looking at the content at work, then it's not an issue. With this one you may get some looks...but you won't get in trouble for it.

Besides. That's a very handsome woman.

Shadman
05-24-2012, 06:03 AM
Haha, I didn't realize my avatar was being discussed..missed a few days here.

It's actually from the music video "Pirates" by The Lonely Island, and that is Michael Bolton, supposed to be looking like Sarah Jessica Parker. Watch the song, the avatar is completely out of context.

Also, Yes, the iPad 3 has a gorgeous screen. I won't deny it.

120HzNET
05-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Wait I thought that was supposed to be Erin Brokovich (sp?)? If it is supposed to be SJP - he is WAAAAY better looking than that horse face.

Shadman
05-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Wait I thought that was supposed to be Erin Brokovich (sp?)? If it is supposed to be SJP - he is WAAAAY better looking than that horse face.

I have nooooo idea where I got SJP from..

yeah...

iSmack
08-10-2012, 06:03 PM
I went with a Nexus 7... MUAHAHAHAHAAHAH!

[Anti-iPad user flame shield on]

unphased
08-11-2012, 01:03 AM
lol sorry for derailing the thread. As for Shadmans avatar, it's really not that freaky of a picture. I overreacted. Us netizens have seen imagery far more disturbing, no doubt.

The iPad probably doesn't need any more accolades than it has already received but it really is the first successful tablet computer and it will go down as such in the history books. Computing is going to start to pervade our lives whether you like it or not, and while $500 might be a pretty big setback for some folks, my perspective on it at this point is that it's pretty much a miracle that it isn't $5000. I am a pretty hardcore PC mouse+keyboard user but 6 years ago there was pretty much no way for you to directly manipulate computing devices with your fingers.

The original iPhone was a *revolution*. I have an iPod Touch 1st gen which is more or less an iPhone minus the phone and that thing is absolutely painful to use now because the hardware could barely handle the software in a responsive manner. Apple has been iteratively improving the user experience and at this point the iOS products are a joy to use by any reasonable measure.

I have a Nexus 7 as well as an iPad 3. I will say the iPad3 is hands down a superior tablet experience in every single way. However the Nexus has some pretty great features as well with the Google integration: I had set up Google Music a long time ago and I found that I can access all those songs I synced on the tablet really easily in the Music app, which is just great. The GPS and Navigation on the Nexus 7 is also pretty fantastic (though I'm sorely in need of a hands-free mount for the car).

But these are software points and I could have shelled out for a 4G iPad (and paid for a GPS app). However, the quality of iOS and the amazing screen (which is also twice as big) puts the iPad far ahead. Nexus 7's screen may be IPS but it just simply doesn't look as good. I'm pretty sure it's not just due to the lower pixel density either.

SniperCzar
08-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Have an HP Touchpad, might pick up a Nexus 7.

Shadman
08-12-2012, 11:31 AM
To unphased, no problem ;)

To go on your posts a little more, I'll agree with you. Apple didn't make the tech, just improved and popularized it. And did well on the touchscreen. And the display.

At my work, we sell lots of tablets, and unfortunately they all look washed out or low quality, maybe except the Samsung ones. I've yet to see the Acer A700 or the Asus TF 700 though.

HyperMatrix
08-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Well android had 4 huge problems, IMO:

1) weak gpu's and did not use gpu for rendering (ics finally fixed this issue, but the weak gpu's still leave it behind)
2) ease of use/intuitiveness. It can't touch apple on this. Though ics is a big step forward
3) fragmentation leads to lower quality apps, especially if you have one of the highest end devices.
4) battery life is generally 50-70% of what the iPhone/iPad can do.

Claiming to have a large market share is like saying Nokia has the most successful OS in Symbian because there are tons of symbian phones around the world. Just doesn't work that way. You can have android devices with low specs under $100, or high end up to $1000. And though they're all android, their capabilities are nothing alike.

I think windows slate and winmo 8 will do well. Winmo 7 fell somewhat short of my expectations (i bought one on day one) and i think Microsoft sees it that way as well, hence the move to the windows 8 platform on phones as well. I have owned every single iPhone that has come out. My main phone now is a galaxy nexus until the iPhone 5 comes out. And I had been in telecom for nearly 5 years so I got promo phones all the time. Not being biased. Just stating facts.

As for the iPad, i'd say 33% of the time I'm using it to browse the web. 33% of the time I use it for splashtop (remote desktop with audio/video). And the other 33% are gaming, Facebook, and music. Having a 2048x1536 resolution display...is simply amazing. And a 10 hour battery life...just makes it that much better. I carry my iPad with me in my car all the time because even when I'm out and about, it lets me get my work done so I'm not tied down to a computer desk. And 40mbps lte download speeds....I'm not going to complain. :P

beefcakes
08-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Can't stand your avatar.

Does the pad make use of the resolution? Like will I be able to have two windows open at the same time, one for google docs and the other for a website?

At this point, I'm waiting for the microsoft surface pro. For someone who has palmar hyperhydrosis, I need a keyboard and would like an x86 OS. If it's too pricey, I'll go for the Asus Transformer Infinity. The battery life with the keyboard dock is 18hours.

HyperMatrix
08-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Does the pad make use of the resolution? Like will I be able to have two windows open at the same time, one for google docs and the other for a website?

At this point, I'm waiting for the microsoft surface pro. For someone who has palmar hyperhydrosis, I need a keyboard and would like an x86 OS. If it's too pricey, I'll go for the Asus Transformer Infinity. The battery life with the keyboard dock is 18hours.

You can if you jailbreak. It's called Quasar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cYWha8YFi8

unphased
08-13-2012, 12:57 AM
I've tried Quasar. It's damn neat but was pretty buggy and finicky. Just let your eyes get used to seeing text in twice as much resolution as you're used to. The interface is really good enough that a window manager of any kind is unnecessary.

Hyper youre making me wish I got a 4G iPad... That extra step to tether to my (slow) iphone is pretty annoying sometimes.

unphased
08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
So my iPad3 has freaky battery life. I charge it maybe once a week. When it gets down to ~30 percent.

I charged it overnight last night. Used it for about 10 minutes in the morning, left it on my desk when I went to work.

After I came back home tonight I finished installing GTA3 and played that game for about 20 minutes.

The meter reports 98% battery left.

98%!

At this rate it'd last for 1000 hours of gameplay.

So there's clearly some calibration weirdness going on with that meter but I have got to say that the power efficiency of A5X is astounding. Apple definitely made the right choice to stick such a beefy lipo cell inside.

British
08-16-2012, 06:28 AM
I hate (that's actually an understatement) everything from Crapple, don't hit me please !

Shadman
08-17-2012, 06:11 AM
I've tried Quasar. It's damn neat but was pretty buggy and finicky. Just let your eyes get used to seeing text in twice as much resolution as you're used to. The interface is really good enough that a window manager of any kind is unnecessary.

Hyper youre making me wish I got a 4G iPad... That extra step to tether to my (slow) iphone is pretty annoying sometimes.

I meant to quote you, accidentally thanked lol...and I was going to say I use quasar all the time, and I love it. Don't actually use it all the time though lol. And the only problem I've had is sometimes with the rotation..sometimes.