PDA

View Full Version : HDTV New Purchase

Dawgdoc
10-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Not necessarily a good match for these forums, but throwing this out there anyhow to see if I get any feedback....

Im in the market for a new HDTV. Prefer LED but not completely against Plasma.

Looking for the largest, and best HDTV currently on the market. No budget.

Ive read good things about the 60+" Panasonics,

Any suggestion both in general as well as to specific HDTVs appreciated!

Currently have a 5yr+ old 52"(?) Samsung Plasma, but the contast is off and I think its time for an upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

Sn0_Man
10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
No budget.

Go OLED :cool:

Samsung and LG are both looking to release 55inch OLED TVs this year (unfortunately, only 1080p not 4K. Nothing on TV uses 4K yet, but its a nice thing to have). Price in Korea is under 10 Grand, so US should be around that.

If 55" isn't big enough, go buy an 84", 4K Sony TV (25 Grand)

HyperMatrix
10-03-2012, 10:01 AM
If you're going Plasma, the higher end Panasonic models can't be beat. The Pioneer Kuro was an amazing set before the company stopped manufacturing consumer displays. But now, Panasonic is king. I honestly love Plasma's. LED tv's can give you better black levels, but the colours and the lighting on a Plasma are just something else...and they're also better for gaming. Panasonic's Neo-PDP displays have minimal burn-in. It takes 8+ hours for burn in to take effect, and even then you can clear it out. I had an incident with a Dragon Age marathon that left the character icons/maps in there for a few weeks. And then all the burn in was cleared. I'm incredibly happy with my purchase. I bought mine 2 years ago $2.5k, for a 50" model. Very happy. But bigger is definitely better. And I'd want to go for 65"-70" for my next set. But...I am going to wait until 1440p or 4k displays come out at reasonable prices. Can't have a 70" with lower resolution than my 27" monitor. :P

If you do end up going the LED route, Samsung and Sony probably have the best units there. However, I returned my Samsung as much as I loved the 240hz interpolation and incredibly deep and dark black levels with dynamic contrast. The reason? Response time. I did some console gaming, and a lot of these tv's use heavy image processing that adds a good 100ms or even higher input lag. That's why some TV's have "Game Mode" which turns that feature off to increase response time. But even then, it's still bad response time, and you lose picture quality in the process.

So, for myself, I'd go Panasonic Plasma again. It's all about the lights and light sources. Plasma does it best. :)

Dawgdoc
10-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Yea Ive been looking at the Panasonic Plasma, as I want the ABSOLUTE best picture quality.

This is the model Im currently eyeballing, but still doing alot of research and asking alot of questions :P

Very minimal gaming mostly just TV/movies/etc. The kids play the occasional console on the TV but not really much at all.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P65ST50

GnarlyCharlie
10-03-2012, 10:46 AM
I have a 58" Panasonic Plasma, it's a couple of years old 58VT10, my only regret is not getting the 65". Obviously I'm a plasma fan, none of my friends have plasmas but they have almost all commented on the picture quality on mine.

Mkilbride
10-03-2012, 11:26 AM
50'' Panny Plasma here as well! Best Plasma's...better black levels than LCD / LED, it's white levels they has trouble with.

jerrolds
10-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Yup im convinced ill be grabbing the 60" Panny ST50 this boxing day....i was going to get LED/LCD but Plasma still wins when it comes to picture quality aparently

Mkilbride
10-04-2012, 08:39 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50ST50-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00752VKW8

This is mine. Got it last Christmas for 900$ on sale. 2011 model, may have been updated.

I also followed a guide to burning it in over here and it looks amazing:

http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761

Dawgdoc
10-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Do you really think its worth doing a burn in? Ive heard mixed reports.....

Also, for those people with the panasonics do you think there is a big difference between the ST and VT models? I cant tell if they use the same panels or not...

GnarlyCharlie
10-05-2012, 08:17 AM
On my first one, a 50" VT, I was meticulous in my break in, played color slides for a couple of days solid. Then I moved the 50" to the bedroom and got the 58" and just started watching it right off. I still think the 58" has the best picture of the 2.

But one other thing. When I first got the 50, I didn't have an HD package on DirecTV. Big mistake (you'll know if you've ever tried to watch SD stuff on an HDTV) and some of the channels would have bars on the sides. I didn't suffer through that for long, by the time the 58" came along I was all HD and all channels fill the screen 100%, so I didn't have to fret about the blank spaces on the sides.

It will get Image Retention, IR, if you watch a channel with a static image. Like ESPN has the crawl banner on the bottom, or the 4:3 aspect bars on the sides, it'll show up when there's a blank screen. But change channels and movement will cause it to go away in no time. People get this confused with Burn In, where a static image will become permanently burned into the screen, and that's really rare with modern plasmas. It freaked me out at first, but I have thousands of hours on both TVs now and it's just not an issue I worry about any longer.

Both of mine have been VTs, but looking at Panasonic's specs, looks like the panels are the same. AVS Forums has a HUGE plasma forum with threads discussing most all different brands and models, you might take a look over there and see what you can find out.

EniGmA1987
10-05-2012, 03:01 PM
I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P55VT50-55-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00752VKTG

And it is by far the best TV I have ever seen. It also supports 96Hz playback of Bluray 24p content

HyperMatrix
10-05-2012, 03:31 PM
I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P55VT50-55-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00752VKTG

And it is by far the best TV I have ever seen. It also supports 96Hz playback of Bluray 24p content

I have the older model with the "sheet of glass" look. And it's absolutely beautiful. Everyone who sees it immediately comments on how great it looks. I'd definitely go with a Panny Plasma again.

Syan48306
11-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Plasma's are nice but at the same time, I almost prefer the high end sony's. The HX850 and the XBR HX950 which are in the 2000-3000 range for a 55 inch. Those TV's are just about the best LED / LCD TV's you can get because of its full array led lighting with local dimming. The blacks on those simply suck you in. Not to mention the whole integrated 3D gimmick. My next TV's going to be a Sony HX line for sure.

Sony HX850 - $2000
http://store.sony.com/p/55%26quot%3B-Class-(54.6%26quot%3B-diag.)-HX850-Internet-TV/en/p/KDL55HX850

Sony XBR HX950 - $3000
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666483151