PDA

View Full Version : Advice required!

ANDROID2541
05-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Alright, So I am looking to do my first water cooling setup on my PC.

I've never had any experience with water cooling and I really need some advice and help picking out parts for doing this setup.. This is my system.

Processor: Intel I7-990x
Ram: Kingston Hyper X T1 24 GB
HDD: 120 GB Vertex Agility 3, 1 TB WD Caviar Black
Case: Cooler Master HAF 942.
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper
GFX Card: Asus ENGTX 580

If you guys need anymore info.. please ask,

Any and ALL help is GREATLY appreciated.

Also, I don't want to go too insanely expensive, as I live in New York, rent is high, and I don't really have a TON of money floating around.. I'd like to keep it around 500 if possible.. preferably less.

Also, The current temps I get under Air cooling are

CPU: 33-50 Degrees Celsius
GPU: 30-70 Degrees Celsius

While I'm playing most games, CPU stays around 40, GPU stays around 50

120HzNET
05-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Now I also know you have a 580 video card - so you might want to add that.

Here's my thought - why do you want to water cool? One, your temps are great so that leads me to think you aren't overclocking anything (obviously correct me if I am wrong.) Two, if you aren't going to OC components it appears your air is working perfectly for you. Three, water cooling that setup could be accomplished at that price point, but again if you aren't OCing the rig, water is only for show - not go.

So, OC that sucker, make it hot, then get it under water! Post up your OC stats or if you plan to. If you aren't going to OC anything, then my honest opinion is you don't NEED water - but you may WANT water. If that is the case - post back and I can make up a Scribby Suggested Water List (your list may vary!)

Skydivingcows
05-04-2012, 12:04 AM
I decided to just go with air, and use the Noctua NH-D14. What are you currently using for your heatsink?

ANDROID2541
05-04-2012, 12:43 AM
I'm using the Corsair H80.. which is like.. halfassed watercooling. The fans I'm using are Cougar's, quiet and lots of air out..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553006 link
And I'm doing small overclocks at the moment. Processor is at 4 from 3.6 and GFX card is pushed up to 850 from 782 for its core clock.. But my case allows for a lot of air to be pushed.

and my graphics card does have that giant ass heatsink and fan on it..

HyperMatrix
05-04-2012, 12:53 AM
If the H80 is anything like the H70, then it's is really good. If you don't mind noise, especially. Just gotta upgrade the fans. I dropped in some super high flow 110cfm fans on the radiator and this thing stays cool as hell even when running at 5ghz with 1.54v. Haha.

Gotta be careful though...there's so much flow that as the one fan is pushing the air, the other fan makes noise as it has trouble keeping up with the spin required. usually settles down after a bit of dust gets in the radiator and limits the airflow a tad. Which..I guess means it would make more sense to use something like 80-90 cfm fans instead. :P But yeah. Haha.