PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Windows 8 Upgrade Pre-Order on Sale

Sneaky
10-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Was $199.99 US now $69.99 US
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416562

HyperMatrix's Edit: Receive +$30 Amazon Credit with purchase from Amazon directly! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H3SW4I

nocturnal7x
10-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Holy fire sale.

HyperMatrix
10-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Sweet. Someone finally used this forum. =D Yeah that's an awesome deal. I'd move to Win8 if they gave me an option to bypass the Tablet Mode crap at the start. I want my desktop and start menu still. I heard microsoft was going to sell a digital upgrade version of Win8 Pro for $39.99 before. I wonder if they've scrapped those plans.

Sneaky
10-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Apparently you can mod W8 to get rid of the Metro start screen ..... no links to it though, can't remember who told me? lol
I am not sure what version of W7 this upgrade is for, I have W7 Ultimate x64 not sure if this would be the right one or not?

HyperMatrix
10-12-2012, 09:22 PM
If Microsoft would just allow an option to turn it off, I'd upgrade. Win8 is superior to Win7. Less memory usage. Faster booting. Nice OS all in all. And there is a touch converter device coming out in January that you place in front of your monitor. And it's very very accurate and gives you multi-touch capability. At least 2 fingers, anyway. So it'd be nice to have better touch support for some apps/games.

Shadman
10-13-2012, 03:42 AM
I'm the one that told you that Sneaky, I'd post the link to it but I'm on my phone right now and it doesn't multitask like a desktop (hyper!) Lol jk
Give me a few minutes while I find it.

And yes, there is an upgrade for $40 as long as you have XP, Vista, or 7 and that runs until January. Digital only to I believe.

There are 2 versions of Windows 8 for desktop.
Windows 8
Windows 8 Pro

If you're upgrading from anything 7, you can get 8 Pro. You can only upgrade to regular 8 from starter and Home Premium. So you being on ultimate means you go to 8 Pro.

Oh also, there is an 8 enterprise, but it just adds some IT stuff to it, so I guess 3 desktop versions.

Shadman
10-13-2012, 03:43 AM
Oh and Yeahhh, this isn't a deal. $69.99 is the normal upgrade price, while the.$40 is the key upgrade price until January

Sneaky
10-13-2012, 04:19 AM
lol, yes you did mention it to me but you weren't the first, one of our clan members made a post about it about 5 days ago so I already knew.
Just you mentioning it again reminded me to post it here. ;)

Shadman
10-13-2012, 04:35 AM
lol, yes you did mention it to me but you weren't the first, one of our clan members made a post about it about 5 days ago so I already knew.
Just you mentioning it again reminded me to post it here. ;)

Well arent you cool! :cool:

Sneaky
10-13-2012, 04:38 AM
I try lol

BlackOctagon
10-13-2012, 08:07 AM
I guess few people on these boards will be thinking about upgrading to Windows 8 till ToastyX's releases his drivers for that OS...

NightFox
10-13-2012, 11:03 AM
BlackOctagon (http://120hz.net/member.php?1072-BlackOctagon), I now use Windows 8 RP and have no problems with drivers (patch ToastyX works).

BlackOctagon
10-14-2012, 01:20 AM
Good to know!

Dawgdoc
10-17-2012, 04:38 AM
Personally I would never upgrade an OS. From my understanding its not nearly as clean and crisp as an initial install.

Or am I incorrect in this information?

Cpt.Teacup
10-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Yeah, with Windows it's better to do a clean install. You should probably do this at least once a year anyway just to keep the crappy file system from gumming up. :p

HyperMatrix
10-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Now with a $30 Amazon gift certificate. So essentially just $39.99 for the physical copy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H3SW4I

Can't pass this up...

OskyATL
11-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Now with a $30 Amazon gift certificate. So essentially just $39.99 for the physical copy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H3SW4I

Can't pass this up...

Is that the full version? or upgrade?

medo145
11-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't see myself using win8, not on a desktop anyways. Why do I have to mod the OS to get something that was standard in the previous version. It's just baffling why M$ would do that. I understand that it's to tie tablets in with their phones, but why alienate the desktop computer user base. I liked vista better when it came out than I like win8. They hit the nail on the head with win7. The natural step from there would be to improve on that success, not reinvent the wheel.

End of rant/

HyperMatrix
11-01-2012, 03:57 PM
I don't see myself using win8, not on a desktop anyways. Why do I have to mod the OS to get something that was standard in the previous version. It's just baffling why M$ would do that. I understand that it's to tie tablets in with their phones, but why alienate the desktop computer user base. I liked vista better when it came out than I like win8. They hit the nail on the head with win7. The natural step from there would be to improve on that success, not reinvent the wheel.

End of rant/

Medo, with the $5 start8 app, the OS is exactly like win7 but also has the app store/etc. the OS boots directly into desktop. Hitting your start key opens start menu. The menu is indentical to win7. You can disable all the side screen hotzones with the app as well. All your favorite commands like start + r are there. But all in all it's a nice OS. I feel like I've gained, not lost. And I don't feel like I had to compromise anything. I'm a big fan of the start8 app. I agree with you that Microsoft shouldnt have done away with the start menu. But as long as they don't release an OS that takes away our ability to customize it to this extent, I'm happy.

HyperMatrix
11-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Is that the full version? or upgrade?

Upgrade version. I heard someone say you can install it, then from win8 itself reinstall it as an upgrade and it will activate it with your key.

james78
11-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Im not sure if other countries are the same but Aus can get the upgrade for $15 currently
http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-AU - I can confirm it as i have purchased it, have not installed yet though

Couple of things to note, I used IE to access the site, i did not have to enter an old Win7 or xp product key, in this part...just make it up, like i did.

PC purchase details
PC make / model
Purchase date
Retailer / PC manufacturer

A ton of info about clean installs using an upgrade key over at MDL,
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/38524-Windows-8-14-99-Upgrade-Code-is-Now-available/page4?

HyperMatrix
11-01-2012, 05:00 PM
That's interesting. The offer is only supposed to work and provide a valid key for win8 upgrades on newly purchased win7 computers. They did this so people wouldnt hold off on buying a new win7 pc/laptop so they could buy a win8 model later. Let us know if you're able to install it. Thanks.

medo145
11-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Medo, with the $5 start8 app, the OS is exactly like win7 but also has the app store/etc. the OS boots directly into desktop. Hitting your start key opens start menu. The menu is indentical to win7. You can disable all the side screen hotzones with the app as well. All your favorite commands like start + r are there. But all in all it's a nice OS. I feel like I've gained, not lost. And I don't feel like I had to compromise anything. I'm a big fan of the start8 app. I agree with you that Microsoft shouldnt have done away with the start menu. But as long as they don't release an OS that takes away our ability to customize it to this extent, I'm happy.

At the end of the day, even with the start8 app, I don't feel like I'd be gaining anything by going to win8. The app store seems to me a bit like an attempt to copy apple. I just get a feeling that it won't be a big success, but I could be wrong. This brings another thing to my mind, GFWL. I know several people that will refuse to get a game if it's for GFWL. If the added "features" are worth the money, time and effort required to get win8 running, then I say go for it. :)

HyperMatrix
11-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Other than the OS being faster and more efficient, if you have a win8 supported motherboard like mine, the motherboard goes from post to windows load screen in just 2 seconds. Now i just gotta get around to picking up a second matching ssd to raid my boot drive.

I really do like some of the features like being able to pop your ssd into any computer and having it work. Or being able to mount iso's natively. A lot of good stuff. For a ridiculously low price. I'm hoping it leads to more interoperability between xbox720 and a windows 8 phone. If Microsoft plays it smart, I may drop my iPhone and iPad and go for a full windows 8 ecosystem in the future. And I think that's kind of why they made this move. They saw hardcore windows lovers getting iPads and iPhones and androids and they were missing out.

I've yet to see a company build a phone that matches the iPhone in terms of software for one, but almo mostly in terms of hardware. iPhone's always have the most powerful gpu's by a long shot. Maybe if Microsoft made a windows 8 phone themselves, like with the slate. I'd give it a shot. But when I bought windows phone 7 a few years back, it let me unamused. Though even in that regard I loved that the lg win7 phone had a direct access registry editor at boot that you could use to do anything to the phone, including enabling developer mode.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm really hoping win8 is a success as a whole. And for now, I do find it to be worth $40. Even Moreso thanks to start8. And the app store is actually a nice idea. Native Netflix and Hulu apps? Sounds good to me. Just too bad the apps arent working for me. They don't load videos. Some kind of error. But the general concept, I really like. And makes it all better if you're also hooking it up to a big screen tv.

medo145
11-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Unfortunately I don't believe that my mobo (ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3) supports the 2 second boot, haven't looked into it. I use daemon tools for mounting iso images. Recently I've bought a Synology DS1812+ which also has the capability to mount an iso across the network. I've played with the windows phones and I just feel lost. The user interface is not very intuitive. Maybe that's because I've had iphones forever. I've also tried other tablets besides the ipad 2 that I own. I must say that the ipad is the best tablet around (my opinion, not starting a war). Regarding the apps, most of those are available pretty much everywhere. ATV, 360, PS3, WII, IPAD, BluRay players and even some TVs themselves. No need to use the PC to play netflix if the TV plays it natively.

HyperMatrix
11-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Haha no accusations of fanboyism from me. I've had the galaxy tab, blackberry play book, Hp touchpad oc'd to 1.9ghz. And the iPad is by far the best. What I've found, recently, is that I'm spending probably 90% of my time on the iPad browsing the web or doing remote desktop with my pc. So I was thinking....when the intel chipped version of the slate comes out, why not just get a win8 tablet? I'm just speaking hypothetically here. I've owned ever single iPhone and every single iPad. iPad 4 is arriving tomorrow morning. Expecting great things. But I'd like there to be other viable options for the windows user. I really really dislike android. A lot. It's another example of the problem of fragmentation and appealing to the lowes common denominator. Android developer isn't going to make an app that only 20% of their tablets can fully utilize, for example. While you see apple dev's constantly upgrade textures and graphics as new equipment comes out, because they're dealing with fewer hardware compatibility issues. And because there's more money in the apple app store. People will buy apps. A lot of them.

I know windows 8 is getting a lot of hate from people saying its compromising too much and trying to be the best of 2 worlds. But honestly, that's how I feel about android. I find apple to be my easy to use reliable pickup and play system, and windows to be my in depth full customization platform. And android trying to combine the 2, and sorry but I feel they do it very poorly. Before ICS came out, android was a giant mess. Ics and jellybean are really just trying to push for more apple-ish operation. And while that's great...if I wanted an apple product, I'd stick with my apple product.

Windows 8 is really the only phone trying to be "different" and the only company other than apple that can deliver a full ecosystem between desktop, laptop, tablet, console, phone. And I'm hoping they are viable competition. I don't like any one company getting too strong in one field.

Btw I've been trying to find this link to a touch/motion sensing device that costs $100. You put it in front of your catleap and it allows you to turn it into a touch screen, essentially. But you don't have to actually "touch" and get smudges. The video of it was neat. I'll try to find it. I can't wait to pick that up for my catleap. If only it did 3d as well. 3d 1440p 120hz touch/motion monitor. Amazing. :P

medo145
11-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Apple can get the most our of their HW, because they make the SW as well. I feel that the android devices lack that. Some android devices with better spec HW do not perform as well as their IOS counterparts. The fact that IOS devices are closed is annoying, but there is always jailbreaking for that. The thing that bothers me about win8 is not the fact that M$ is trying something new, it's the fact that they just removed the start menu completely instead of leaving it as an option. During the beta it was possible to make some changes in the registry to re-enable the start menu. They removed that capability in later revisions.

How does the touch sensing device work, kinect type of deal?
It would have been nice to have the monitor this weekend to play with it :(. (It being the monitor)

gsl
11-01-2012, 07:57 PM
you guys are probably talking about the LeapMotion device. It looks neat. https://leapmotion.com/

HyperMatrix
11-02-2012, 08:37 AM
you guys are probably talking about the LeapMotion device. It looks neat. https://leapmotion.com/

Thank you!! Was having such a hard time trying to remember the name of it. Amazing device. If it works like in the video, anyway. If not, then a really fun gimmick for Win8 users. =D

OskyATL
11-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I've got a question. Whats the difference between Win 8 and Win 8 Pro?

HyperMatrix
11-05-2012, 05:47 PM
I've got a question. Whats the difference between Win 8 and Win 8 Pro?

This: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/compare

Also you get a free copy of media centre ($10 value) with win8 pro.

Arauthator
11-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Woah, I'm not sure I can handle the idea of an OS that is mouse and keyboard enabled :P
Seriously though, it sounds like they were getting a little bit desperate finding features to use as selling points.

HyperMatrix
11-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Woah, I'm not sure I can handle the idea of an OS that is mouse and keyboard enabled :P
Seriously though, it sounds like they were getting a little bit desperate finding features to use as selling points.

Haha. They just wanted to make sure people were aware that it's not just a touch/tablet OS. If only they had kept the start menu enabled ala Start8, the OS would have sold like hotcakes. But having to install a $4.99 3rd party app, while easy for you and I, is beyond most peoples capabilities. But then again...maybe those same people would be better off with the new metro UI as opposed to a start menu.

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on this. If only we had 3D enabled on these damn monitors. Maybe if we paid Mark Rejhon enough money he could make it work somehow. =D I'd love 1440p 3D + Leapmotion 3D controls. Anyway, look at Leapmotion video if you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6KuiuteIA