PDA

View Full Version : cpu help

shockerfest
05-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Hey here is my current setup... AMD Phenom II x6 1055t; MSI 785G-E53; Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1600; MSI GTX 460 - 768mb; 120 GB Corsair SSD; Seagate 500gb HDD; Raidmax 700w; Corsair 500R Case

I'm worried that my GPU won't be able to sustain with one of these newer monitors.... I have about 350 to spend on upgrades... I was thinking of getting a new CPU and MOBO with the money I have to spend. I would consider financing one of the gtx680 once they are back in stock... but I am not sure if I should go ahead and buy the CPU and MOBO setup or get the monitor straight up with my current setup? Thoughts opinions please and thanks.

HyperMatrix
05-04-2012, 12:16 AM
I don't ever recommend buying anything on credit. Just a policy I have. And currently, I'm a fan of the Intel chips. I used to love AMD way back in the day when I had my 1.4ghz Athlon Thunderbird. Boy was that thing exciting at the time.

About your GPU, you're right. It won't be able to keep up. Especially because of the 768mb memory on it. Texture sizes at 1440p are immense. You can get away with 1GB cards, but 768mb I really discourage. And if you're looking to upgrade to a CPU that you're not going to want to upgrade again next year, I'd say get the 3770k. Sure the i5 model is cheaper by $130 or so...but without hyperthreading and lower clocks, it falls short by a heck of a lot. And a decent motherboard for that would be another $150. So you'd be looking at $500 for a good cpu/mobo upgrade. If you think you can get $150 for your cpu/mobo/video card, which you should be able to do, then yeah...go for it. Should stay within budget, but get a processor that will last you a good 2-3 years while providing superb performance! And the 3770k, even without overclocking it, will give you more than double the performance of your current AMD cpu. That's kinda huge, man. =D And once you have another $100 handy, pick up the H100 enclosed water cooling kit for the CPU, and you should be able to push it to 5ghz, which is a 43% performance boost. That chip is going to last you for years!

Btw, I love the corsair xms3 ram sticks. Those the ones with 7-8-7-20 timings, right?

shockerfest
05-04-2012, 06:16 AM
I don't ever recommend buying anything on credit. Just a policy I have. And currently, I'm a fan of the Intel chips. I used to love AMD way back in the day when I had my 1.4ghz Athlon Thunderbird. Boy was that thing exciting at the time.

About your GPU, you're right. It won't be able to keep up. Especially because of the 768mb memory on it. Texture sizes at 1440p are immense. You can get away with 1GB cards, but 768mb I really discourage. And if you're looking to upgrade to a CPU that you're not going to want to upgrade again next year, I'd say get the 3770k. Sure the i5 model is cheaper by $130 or so...but without hyperthreading and lower clocks, it falls short by a heck of a lot. And a decent motherboard for that would be another $150. So you'd be looking at $500 for a good cpu/mobo upgrade. If you think you can get $150 for your cpu/mobo/video card, which you should be able to do, then yeah...go for it. Should stay within budget, but get a processor that will last you a good 2-3 years while providing superb performance! And the 3770k, even without overclocking it, will give you more than double the performance of your current AMD cpu. That's kinda huge, man. =D And once you have another $100 handy, pick up the H100 enclosed water cooling kit for the CPU, and you should be able to push it to 5ghz, which is a 43% performance boost. That chip is going to last you for years!

Btw, I love the corsair xms3 ram sticks. Those the ones with 7-8-7-20 timings, right?

I agree with your credit policy as I have never have tried nor do I own a credit card. So I'll stay true and save up for now. I am still wondering what to do about a video card especially since the 460gtx won't cut it.

3770k really? I was hoping to save those $130 for the H100.

And yes love those ram sticks :D

Sn0_Man
05-04-2012, 08:16 AM
I'll toss in my 2 cents here.

For CPU's a lot depends on where you live. If you live in the US and have a MicroCenter nearby, I would honestly recommend going with a Sandy-Bridge chip (I like the 2500k). It can be had at MicroCenter for $170 these days, along with a discount on a compatible MOBO, and it is a GOOD chip. Really, nothing comes close for budget builders. However, if

a) you do stuff that could use hyperthreading (aka video encoding, etc.) note that games do NOT use HT. or
b) you never overclock or
c) you live in europe/india/nowhere near a microcenter or place that offers good deals

Then you need to look at different options. i7 (eg 3770K like HyperMatrix said) if you need hyperthreading. A non-K model (eg 3570) if you don't overclock. Whatever is a good deal in your location, if you don't have any microcenters nearby.

Re: Graphics card. What games did you want to play on this monitor? :P

shockerfest
05-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Yes there is a Microcenter near by and I was seriously considering buying that deal up today or tomorrow ($250 for the combo). Yes, the hyperthreading seems overkill since I don't use anything that would benefit from it just programming and gaming. Sounds like 3570k for me then.

Current games: SC2, League of legends, and soon Diablo 3. Nothing too demanding.

Update: I have a current buyer for my setup which is really nice, but it will set me back without a gfx I'll be going back to my GTS250 for a bit until I hear some opinions

Skydivingcows
05-04-2012, 08:34 AM
I would love to have a microcenter nearby or even a fry's.

Here is a good thread about the CPU's and pricing. Those combo motherboard deals are nice.
http://slickdeals.net/f/4298000-Intel-i5-3570K-189-99-Microcenter-in-store-only?

If not, then TD has about the best shipping price lately on the 3570K
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2373004&CatId=1969

shockerfest
05-04-2012, 08:44 AM
I will never buy from TD again. Terrible service. Plus I have to pay tax on their items.

rbv
05-04-2012, 08:54 AM
I will never buy from TD again. Terrible service. Plus I have to pay tax on their items.

I've sworn off TigerDirect also, since they cheated me out of $100 in rebates (order total was $120, that's a huge change in the price of the items).

It went something like this:
Send rebate application, wait 6-8 weeks, nothing. After 2 more weeks, contact rebate processing house. "We never got your rebate application". E-mailed scanned copies of rebate documentation. "We received your application and are processing it." >> usually this is enough for the rebate scam to give in, they count on people not keeping proof, but TigerDirect isn't even that honest << Wait another 10 weeks, check on status. "We never received your rebate application." Huh? I have your email acknowledging receipt right here.

Don't do business with these scammers who use MIR to bait-and-switch the price after purchase (and after it's too late to do a chargeback).

Sn0_Man
05-04-2012, 08:55 AM
SC2, LoL and D3 are all very easy games to run. That being said, 80-100Fps at 1440p resolution is just not the same world as 30-60Fps at 1080p (or similar) resolution.

A ton also depends on:
a) how much you wish to overclock your video card
b) AMD or Nvidia or dont care.
c) Budget (obviously)

From AMD I'd look at a good price on a 7850 (assuming you are willing to push the clocks even a little). If you can find a good deal this should set you back about $220
From Nvidia I'd hunt around for a good price on a 560Ti 448core. Should be able to find one for a hair over $200 if you are patient.

At this point in time I'm not sure I could recommend anything much cheaper for a monitor like this one. Obviously if you have the cash get a better card :P

Oh and about Ivy vs Sandy bridge. First off, buy whatever makes you happy :P. However, Ivy bridge chips are really only 3-5% faster than sandy bridge chips at the same clock speed, they overclock WORSE (assuming you push your chip. Minor overclocks are identical). I really wouldn't pay more than say, $20 to go 3570K over 2500K. It's your choice :)

rbv
05-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I'll toss in my 2 cents here.

For CPU's a lot depends on where you live. If you live in the US and have a MicroCenter nearby, I would honestly recommend going with a Sandy-Bridge chip (I like the 2500k). It can be had at MicroCenter for $170 these days, along with a discount on a compatible MOBO, and it is a GOOD chip. Really, nothing comes close for budget builders. However, if

That's silly. The i5-3570K is faster, uses less power (therefore not needing a PSU upgrade as soon), and with the combo discounts, is cheaper than i5-2500K.

Skydivingcows
05-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Ha, yeah, I do too on taxes, upfront, at my normal shipping address. I live near the border though so I would just ship it to work. It worked for a few items but I wasn't too happy when my UPS devices were sent back due to the mailroom not recognizing my name the first time even though they knew me, but not my actual name.

Sn0_Man
05-04-2012, 09:04 AM
That's silly. The i5-3570K is faster, uses less power (therefore not needing a PSU upgrade as soon), and with the combo discounts, is cheaper than i5-2500K.

If he can find a 3570K cheaper, jump on it! I live in Canada so prices here are a bit off on some things. Not Europe level, but not exactly perfect either. I just think that he will find a 2500K build substantially cheaper for almost identical performance. If it isn't cheaper, he shouldn't get it.

shockerfest
05-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Ok guys went to Microcenter (aka Heaven) picked up i5 3570k (don't hate me HyperMatrix) and Biostar TZ77XE4 :D Can't wait to put it together and enjoy.

Rizyn
05-07-2012, 01:39 PM
The 3570k is a good choice if HT is not needed for your daily use. It has a 100mhz lower clock than the 3770k but honestly you can overclock it to potentially make it run faster than the i7 due to it running 5-10 degree cooler without HT. I have the 3770k and recently finished running prime for 13hrs at 4.7ghz. Two cores hitting 90 degrees max which I'm fine with since nothing I run will stress the core that much to make it that hot (This with a raystorm waterblock and EX360 + EX240 rad.) I doubt you will be able to hit 5.0ghz with the H100, without keeping temps in check. 4.6-4.8 is more viable.

Have fun with your new build! I came from a Q6600 and am loving this upgrade. I recommend getting an SSD as well if you haven't got one already, the difference is ridiculously fast compared to my raid0 from my Q6600 build.

Junkboy
05-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Ok guys went to Microcenter (aka Heaven) picked up i5 3570k (don't hate me HyperMatrix) and Biostar TZ77XE4 :D Can't wait to put it together and enjoy.

Any update on how your build is going? or what clocks you've been to achieve with it?

benzman
07-16-2012, 08:05 PM
i dun no if u have any microcenters by u but u can get a 3770k for 290 and then agene5 board for anotehr 180 on sale all or the 3570k for like 190, and 3570k and 3770k shal oc pretty much da same, and u should no tht for some reason for gaming a 3570k is better even though no ht, it gets better benchmark scoores than 3770k's with descrete graphic cards,theres a review somewheere,same thing goes for sandy bridge, i actually tested both and i really like my Rive and 3930k,monster litterly and a dual gtx560 sli