PDA

View Full Version : Overheating GPUs

iSmack
10-15-2012, 07:36 AM
With the help of ToastyX, I was able to get my Monitor to 120hz no problem with my GTX 560Tis in SLi. Games actually run quite smoothly at that resolution although they don't reach 120fps (aside from Dishonored)... The problem comes when we're talking about temperatures. Now, my GPUs are overheating like there's no tomorrow.

They used to be OC'd to 925Mhz but I reduce it back to it's factory setting to 880Mhz, barely anything changed heat wise.

My tower is a HAF-X. I haven't changed any of the fans on it.

CPU (i5 2500k) is alright, I have a CM Hyper EVO on it, temps are between 50-55C (only OC'd to 4.0Ghz)

Just to give an idea of how hot it gets... Last night while playing GW2, I was in a dungeon (Ascalonian Catacombs in exploration mode) and during the first boss encounter, temperatures soared up to 100C on GPU1 and 98C on GPU2.

So now how to do I proceed to solve this... Should I wait for the GTX 700 series and hope they run cooler / faster? or Should I invest in GPU water cooling system for 2 (Which model and are they easy to install? Never used water cooling before)?

Thanks.

HyperMatrix
10-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Uhmm...that's unnaturally hot. My 4x GTX 680's at 1190mhz GPU and 6800mhz memory never even hit 70c going full blast. If I push it to 1250mhz+ it gets hotter, to a rate of around 72c-77c depending on which card it was. Have you tried setting a custom fan curve on your video card so it spins faster? If they're getting that hot, something is seriously wrong.

iSmack
10-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Uhmm...that's unnaturally hot. My 4x GTX 680's at 1190mhz GPU and 6800mhz memory never even hit 70c going full blast. If I push it to 1250mhz+ it gets hotter, to a rate of around 72c-77c depending on which card it was. Have you tried setting a custom fan curve on your video card so it spins faster? If they're getting that hot, something is seriously wrong.

I'm unfamiliar with custom fan curves... My GPUs are TwinfrozrII GTX560Tis... They already have different heatsink/fan compared to a stock one. How do I go about to get a custom fan? I've never had to go this far when it came to cooling... usually stock/factory altered stuff was enough.

HyperMatrix
10-15-2012, 08:45 AM
You may be dealing with other issues that are causing the heat. But I use EVGA Precision X to set custom fan curves. I basically tell it to run the fan at a certain percentage when it hits different thermal thresholds. I prefer extra fan noise to extra heat. Hardware lasts longer and is more stable as a result.

iSmack
10-15-2012, 09:00 AM
You may be dealing with other issues that are causing the heat. But I use EVGA Precision X to set custom fan curves. I basically tell it to run the fan at a certain percentage when it hits different thermal thresholds. I prefer extra fan noise to extra heat. Hardware lasts longer and is more stable as a result.

Oh, custom fan curve in terms of speed... I thought the actual blades on the fan itself... silly noob me...
I use MSI Afterburner (since my GPUs are from MSI), I have the fan speed set to auto... I guess I'll try EVGA Precision X.... Should work with my GPUs no?

I just don't get it... I didn't expect the temps to go so high... I clean my PC of dust every 2 weeks (just did it yesterday morning as well)...

As i said, I'll EVGA Precision, seems to be more of a capable program than MSI Afterburner.

HyperMatrix
10-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Regardless of the fan speed though, hitting 100c for temperature is ridiculous. Have you tried running your computer with 1 or both side panels removed just to see how much of an impact it has on your gpu temps?

iSmack
10-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Regardless of the fan speed though, hitting 100c for temperature is ridiculous. Have you tried running your computer with 1 or both side panels removed just to see how much of an impact it has on your gpu temps?

I removed the panel with the window + fan... didn't test it with the same spot but there was noticeable temp reduction in general... maybe something is up with the fan on the side? if i'm not mistaken, atm it blows inside onto the GPUs.

HyperMatrix
10-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Well make sure airflow is set up properly because if all your fans are trying to suck air out of the case, that can be a problem. I have 7 fans pulling air into the case, and 6 fans pushing air hour (4 gpu's, 1 psu, 1 case). So the top and front push air in, the back pushes air out. I have proper airflow going without any interference. What temps were you getting with the side panels removed?

iSmack
10-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Well make sure airflow is set up properly because if all your fans are trying to suck air out of the case, that can be a problem. I have 7 fans pulling air into the case, and 6 fans pushing air hour (4 gpu's, 1 psu, 1 case). So the top and front push air in, the back pushes air out. I have proper airflow going without any interference. What temps were you getting with the side panels removed?

For me it's Front bottom pushes in. Top (above CPU is out - alligned with Evo's fan). Back (next to CPU) is also out... Bottom side pushes in. I left it the way it came...

W/o the side panel I was getting around 75-78C...

HyperMatrix
10-15-2012, 10:37 AM
That's a huge difference in airflow man. Your top fan pushing air out is probably choking your GPU's. Switch it to push air in and see how it holds up.

iSmack
10-15-2012, 10:45 AM
So i guess I should switch the CPU fan as well. It's pushing upwards... wonder if i can turn it to make it push to the back.

HyperMatrix
10-15-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm really not familiar with your CPU cooler. I have my radiator system pushing in to the case, but I have an H100. With my old H60, I had it push out because I had one of those huge fans pushing in from the top, and 2 front fans and 1 side fan pushing in. It's about finding balance between air being pulled in and air being pushed out. Maximum efficiency. Otherwise your fans will struggle to spin and cool your system.

iSmack
10-15-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm really not familiar with your CPU cooler. I have my radiator system pushing in to the case, but I have an H100. With my old H60, I had it push out because I had one of those huge fans pushing in from the top, and 2 front fans and 1 side fan pushing in. It's about finding balance between air being pulled in and air being pushed out. Maximum efficiency. Otherwise your fans will struggle to spin and cool your system.

Gotcha.

I'll try some of the stuff you suggested and see if they yield results when I get home. I'll definitely replace MSI Afterburner with EVGA Precision X.

Been checking around and I found a few videos from CoolMaster (makers of the Tower) themselves stating that the Fan setup should be kept as is.. For added cooling apparantly I should add a second 200mm on the top.

Thinking about it, it could be the desk itself.... It's one of those U shaped ones and the place where the PC is place is kind of closed off... I'll move it to the top of the desk and see if that will help. Hasn't been an issue before but I guess 2560x1440 @ 120hz is a bit too much for my GTX 560Tis...

Cpt.Teacup
10-15-2012, 11:30 AM
I believe Afterburner and Precision are basically the same program, so either one should work fine.
This wasn't really clear, did your GPU's start getting hot only after you installed Toasty's mod? If not, when did you notice that your GPU's were getting hot? If your GPU's were fine and you hadn't changed your airflow configuration between then and when they started getting hot, then the problem is most likely something else.

iSmack
10-15-2012, 12:06 PM
I believe Afterburner and Precision are basically the same program, so either one should work fine.
This wasn't really clear, did your GPU's start getting hot only after you installed Toasty's mod? If not, when did you notice that your GPU's were getting hot? If your GPU's were fine and you hadn't changed your airflow configuration between then and when they started getting hot, then the problem is most likely something else.

The overheating started when I introduced the Catleap to my system... I used to game on a 1920x1080 @ 60Hz and would never get overheating... but later on I gave my 1920x1080 monitor to my brother while I was waiting for the Catleap... took 2 months and during those 2 month I was using a 1440x900 monitor. Not a single component was modified from then and now (aside from the monitors). Only regular de-dusting of my PC and that's it.

Cpt.Teacup
10-15-2012, 12:14 PM
What was your average GPU load while gaming before and after installing the Catleap? If you know your average GPU temp while gaming before installing the Catleap that would be useful too.

iSmack
10-15-2012, 12:22 PM
What was your average GPU load while gaming before and after installing the Catleap? If you know your average GPU temp while gaming before installing the Catleap that would be useful too.

Was around the 75 MAX when using the 1440x900... Don't recall exactly what the temp was witht he 1920x1080 but it was sub 85C.

Cpt.Teacup
10-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Hmm, those seem pretty normal, I don't see how changing the resolution could cause such a drastic change in temp. What is your current idle temp and what is your ambient temp?

iSmack
10-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Hmm, those seem pretty normal, I don't see how changing the resolution could cause such a drastic change in temp. What is your current idle temp and what is your ambient temp?

CPU idle is around 48C

GPUs idle are about 55C

Can't remember what ambient was... at work atm.

Cpt.Teacup
10-15-2012, 01:19 PM
That does seem high, which indicates that it most likely is an airflow problem, like Hyper thought.

Here's what I would do:

Optimize the case fan configuration, for Haf-X with stock fans I believe this should give the best results; Front 20cm in, Side 20cm in, Top 20cm out, Rear 12cm out, and turn the CPU cooler so that it blows towards the Rear 12cm fan. Here's an image showing what that would look like. (http://www.coolermaster.com/upload/product_feature/HAFX_ProuctHighlight_r2_0607.jpg) Also, make sure the PSU intake fan is facing the bottom of the case so that it's completely isolated from the system.
Make sure all of the fan vents have adequate space in front of them, 5 to 10 cm should be enough.
Re-seat GPU heatsinks.
Optimize fan speeds using Afterburner or Precision.

Also, when you clean the computer make sure the heatsinks are clear of dust as well. If you have a lot of cables hanging around in the case try to get those out of the way as they can obstruct airflow.

HyperMatrix
10-15-2012, 01:47 PM
I think the reason it only became noticeable now is because at 1080p 60hz, your cards weren't exactly breaking a sweat. My 6970 on its own could power through most games at high/max quality at 1920x1080@60hz. The 1440p is really making them stress out. For example my video cards only run at 55c when they're being utilized at 50-60%, but get to 66c-69c under full load. So if you were at up to 85c before, the extra stress of 1440p would cause it to get up to 100c.

iSmack
10-15-2012, 01:51 PM
I think the reason it only became noticeable now is because at 1080p 60hz, your cards weren't exactly breaking a sweat. My 6970 on its own could power through most games at high/max quality at 1920x1080@60hz. The 1440p is really making them stress out. For example my video cards only run at 55c when they're being utilized at 50-60%, but get to 66c-69c under full load. So if you were at up to 85c before, the extra stress of 1440p would cause it to get up to 100c.

So I'm guessing my air flow was very bad from the get go, i just didn't realize it till i was pushing my GPUs... Now i have to check if i can turn my CPU heatsink/fan and check out how the hell do i remove/apply thermal paste on GPUs and then re-seat the heatsinks... never done it before.

Cpt.Teacup
10-15-2012, 01:59 PM
That's a good point, with dual 560ti's you probably weren't using 100% very often.

As for re-seating the GPU heatsinks, you can save that for last and if the other changes lower the temps enough you don't even have to do it at all. It probably would only lower the temps by a few degrees, assuming MSI didn't mess up your TIM somehow. I think changing the fan speeds will have the biggest impact, especially with two cards sitting next to each other producing more heat than a single card would.

HyperMatrix
10-15-2012, 02:04 PM
So I'm guessing my air flow was very bad from the get go, i just didn't realize it till i was pushing my GPUs... Now i have to check if i can turn my CPU heatsink/fan and check out how the hell do i remove/apply thermal paste on GPUs and then re-seat the heatsinks... never done it before.

The fact that you did so much better on temperature with the side panel open is indication enough that it's just an airflow issue. You shouldn't need to do much else. "technically" having proper airflow going through your case should be better than having an open case. The inside of my case, for example, never gets hot. Because it's always cycling fresh air in at a ridiculous rate. So just work on balancing your air pull and exhaust and you'll be fine.

Cpt.Teacup
10-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Rotating the CPU heatsink might also lower your CPU temps a bit since it won't be pulling in all the hot air around the GPU's.

iSmack
10-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Alright, well almost time to go home and try these all out... Thanks a lot gents, much appreciated. Fingers crossed it works out.

Cpt.Teacup
10-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Don't forget to check your ambient temp, if it's too high that could also contribute to the high case temps. Remember, fans can only cool as low as the air they push.

iSmack
10-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Just a quick update... Although the back/top and GPUs are pushing out.. the heat coming out of them wasn't as hot as indicated by the programs (MSI Afterburner / CPUID Hardware Monitor)... sooo something is definitely keeping the heat inside... Unfortunately I won't have much time to fiddle around tonight though, which sucks.

Cpt.Teacup
10-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Did you feel the air inside to see if it was hot?

iSmack
10-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Was cool in there as well... i don't like this... I'm guessing something is up with the GPU coolers themselves?

I moved my tower up on the desk... Temps went down a bit.

I also installed Precision and set a fan curve. It's a bit noisier now, but I wear a headset when I game, so it gets supressed.

Temps are now sub 80C. I'm not gonna utilize the 120Hz on a select few games till I get a single powerful GPU (GTX 780 most probably).

Cpt.Teacup
10-16-2012, 06:57 PM
That should be fine then. If you have some time to spare you could probably lower the temps a bit more and reduce the noise by doing the other suggestions, but it seems like giving it some more air fixed the overheating. :)

jonkul
10-16-2012, 07:56 PM
I also have normal radial fans on my GPUs, and the top card would reach as high as 90+ degrees due to lack of air flow. I dropped its GPU temp by 20 degrees by losening the screws that secure the graphics cards to the computer case so that I could push them apart as much as possible, then tightening them again. I also inserted a small tower of like 3 rubber grommets used to mount HDDs between the cards to increase the space as much as possible. Just a couple of millimeters more made a huge difference!

HyperMatrix
10-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Under 80c is pretty good temperature for a GPU. If you're able to get it to lower than 80c, you are doing alright.

Sneaky
10-16-2012, 11:50 PM
So I guess my two GTX580 3GB's sitting on 30deg C on idle and MAX 50 deg C full load is pretty awesome hey? :p hehe

iSmack
10-17-2012, 08:07 AM
So I guess my two GTX580 3GB's sitting on 30deg C on idle and MAX 50 deg C full load is pretty awesome hey? :p hehe

We need another Pick-on Sneaky Day. =.=

Have you done anything special for them?

Thanks again for the suggestions... I'll most probably go over some of the other advises you guys gave over the weekend... Have a behemoth tower like the HAF-X on the desk is kind of half mesmerizing half terrifying D:

iSmack
10-17-2012, 08:13 AM
I also have normal radial fans on my GPUs, and the top card would reach as high as 90+ degrees due to lack of air flow. I dropped its GPU temp by 20 degrees by losening the screws that secure the graphics cards to the computer case so that I could push them apart as much as possible, then tightening them again. I also inserted a small tower of like 3 rubber grommets used to mount HDDs between the cards to increase the space as much as possible. Just a couple of millimeters more made a huge difference!

Strange how a few mm introduced such a difference... For my GPUs, the tower came with a support bracket from the get-go, so I just used that... It was actually a must cause one of the defects of the old TwinfrozrII cards was the board isn't reinforced properly and the heatsink is heavy, bending the card like there's no tomorrow. The newer ones have a few extra braces added to them and seeing them side by side displays how much the old ones would bend... (it's about a 15-20 bend).

Cpt.Teacup
10-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Well, with two cards right next to each other there's hardly any space for air to move between them, so you're basically choking the top GPU.

iSmack
10-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Well, with two cards right next to each other there's hardly any space for air to move between them, so you're basically choking the top GPU.

Ya... makes sense. Top one is always hotter. by 5 more usually.

Hopefully the GTX 700series comes out soon...

Cpt.Teacup
10-17-2012, 01:08 PM
When they do, buy me one will ya? You know... to show your gratitude... :p

iSmack
10-17-2012, 01:24 PM
When they do, buy me one will ya? You know... to show your gratitude... :p

No clue, rumoured around March 2013...

I can show my gratitude in other ways... involves a bed... and some lube... :D

jonkul
10-17-2012, 01:36 PM
The default distance is like 5mm (retarded mobo makers...), so another 5 really helped.

iSmack
10-17-2012, 01:46 PM
The default distance is like 5mm (retarded mobo makers...), so another 5 really helped.

OK! Now i get why yours made a difference... This is my Mobo: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128507&name=Intel-Motherboards

There's already a PCI card worth of gap between the GPUs.

Sneaky
10-17-2012, 07:47 PM
We need another Pick-on Sneaky Day. =.=

Have you done anything special for them?

Thanks again for the suggestions... I'll most probably go over some of the other advises you guys gave over the weekend... Have a behemoth tower like the HAF-X on the desk is kind of half mesmerizing half terrifying D:
I am running them on Water ;)

Catrik
10-18-2012, 05:47 AM
Are you still having problems? If can take a picture of your setup, we could maybe see where the problem is. Just take the side panel off, get a picture and maybe draw same arrows to show which way the fans are pushing air.

iSmack
10-18-2012, 08:04 AM
I am running them on Water ;)

Care to share some pics? I'm thinking of going watercooling later on, maybe a week or so before the 700series drops (try it out on my 560tis)... Is it a 1 size fits all type of heatsink on it or did you have it custom made? Any specific models?

Thanks

iSmack
10-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Are you still having problems? If can take a picture of your setup, we could maybe see where the problem is. Just take the side panel off, get a picture and maybe draw same arrows to show which way the fans are pushing air.

atm, it's running fine... Just loud. I bought a 2nd 200mm fan that i'll mount it on the top to push out. Once that's in place, I'm going to put the tower back under the desk... kinda intimidating as it's staring me down D: I've moved my desk and stuff to have a spot for the tower so it can suck in some cool air and spew out hot air that won't return to where it's taking in cold air.

If problems persist, i'll take pics and post them here.

Thanks.

iSmack
10-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Just wanted to update. Got to install 2 new 200mm CM Megaflow (with Blue LED :D) fans on the top and the highest temp that I registered was 83C and it was in GW2.

I was playing some games (GW2 - BF3 - BL2) with fps capped to 60 as to not push my gpus too much before, now I don't even need to do that! I'm thinking of getting a stronger fan for the fronts as well. but I'm happy for the moment.

Thanks a lot guy, really appreciate it!

HyperMatrix
10-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Amazing how much of an effect airflow can have on your thermals, eh? ;)

iSmack
10-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Amazing how much of an effect airflow can have on your thermals, eh? ;)

Oh yes! Now I'm even thinking of getting one of these: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835345040 for the front fan. Later on I'll maybe get new ones for the side that matches the top one and replace the 140mm with a stronger one too. I'm quite happy at the moment. It was a combination of everything really... Moving the Tower, adding a fan, introducing a new fan curve.