PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 3 - a better player now

twincam23
10-16-2012, 12:54 PM
I would consider myself a terrible Battlefield 3 player. averaging about 7 - 8 kills per round. Come last weekend, I installed my EVGA gtx680 reference card from the step-up program.

All the sudden Iím averaging about 25 - 30 kills per round without changing any of the games settings.

with that said, Iím assuming that there a GREAT advantage of having a kickass videocard setup.

anybody else experience the same behavior?

BlackOctagon
10-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Achieving in FPS games is all about reaction time and smoothness. People with the best reflexes tend to do best. Some people are born with great reflexes, but we can all develop them with practice. In any case, YES your hardware can certainly hold you back. Competitive FPS players gear everything towards the best tech for the game. You might think this automatically means ultra-expensive rigs, and for some gamers you'd be right. However, many competitive Counter Strike players (for instance) actually game on old CRT monitors and turn the resolution and eye candy way DOWN. Why? To minimise lag as much as they possibly can. It's not about the game looking nice, it's about getting the frames as high as possible (tearing be damned) and having as little delay as possible between your movement of the mouse and the movement of the crosshairs.

Of course, that's a bit extreme for most (myself certainly included) so the opposite approach is also very nice. 1440p gaming at 120fps on a 120fps monitor sure sounds a lot more pleasant. Not just for the eye candy, but also because you literally see more of your game at higher resolutions. The competitive players will still gladly give that up because of the IPS lag that they can supposedly see, but I suspect most of us want do do well and have the game look nice. That means, in a nutshell, forking out the dollars for the tech :)

HyperMatrix
10-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Anyone who's played with me on infantry only maps in BF3 have seen me be in the top few players almost every single round. And I'm not a great player. But having a large screen, at 120hz, with video cards able to power the higher framerate, while using a low FOV, allow me to more easily see people, aim, and kill them. So yes, super awesome monitors and video cards help you kick ass at gaming. =D

jonkul
10-16-2012, 08:43 PM
I installed the Better Battlelog web browser plugin and looked at graphs for score per minute, K/D, etc, going back to a couple of months ago. It shows a pretty solid general increase as I put more hours in and improve my skills and knowledge. But there are also pretty clear bumps where I've upgraded and gone from my original single 6950 on a 120hz TN monitor, to 2x 6950, then to a single 670, then 2x 670 and a Catleap.
BF3 and the frostbite 2 engine is pretty sluggish compared to old CS 1.6 when it comes to input lag, and you really need a LOT of fps to make it smooth and snappy so that you can max out your potential.

I played a round with this guy in the opposite team a few weeks ago: http://youtu.be/B0CQIoC9ffQ?hd=1 and it was pretty damn insane. Even so, it's not even close to this one for example: http://youtu.be/vG-WxscK9ws

I guess the best is still to come? =)