PDA

View Full Version : About smaller side monitors

Shadman
10-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Does anyone use 1440 x 900 monitors in portrait mode on the side of their 2560 x 1440 monitors?
I feel like that would be pretty cool for peripheral side monitors without it getting overbearing like 5760(or whatever) X 1080.

BlackOctagon
10-19-2012, 12:16 AM
I too think this could be nice, though 3 1440p screens in portrait would also work while remaining compatible with Eyefinity for gaming

Dillonhighsmith
10-24-2012, 09:01 PM
ive considered this due to wanting to do surround , but not thinkin my current cards could handle 3 of the high rez. dell makes some great smaller ips panel , also very affordable , like 200 range . I have even seen a set being sold on ebay . but this is why i say no deal . ( i personally dont own one ) but if this monitor looks as rich and vibrant as it claims , any thing els would look just shity next to it .
so what we really need is someone who actually has done it and tell us what u thought.

Shadman
10-25-2012, 09:41 PM
ive considered this due to wanting to do surround , but not thinkin my current cards could handle 3 of the high rez. dell makes some great smaller ips panel , also very affordable , like 200 range . I have even seen a set being sold on ebay . but this is why i say no deal . ( i personally dont own one ) but if this monitor looks as rich and vibrant as it claims , any thing els would look just shity next to it .
so what we really need is someone who actually has done it and tell us what u thought.

I never thought of that. IPS surrounded by two TN sounds pretty bad now that you mention it. Unless it's purely peripheral vision..I dunno.
I'm not rich enough to try this unfortunately.

Hassassin
01-08-2013, 06:30 PM
I never thought of that. IPS surrounded by two TN sounds pretty bad now that you mention it. Unless it's purely peripheral vision..I dunno.
I'm not rich enough to try this unfortunately.
I was wanting to buy a pair of 1440x900 displays for a while in order to test this, but they seem to be discontinued and I can't find them anywhere.
It would be great or periferal vision in games and some other utilities... like having my itunes displayed on one side, some downloads in utorrent or whatever on the other, and a freed up main screen.
As it is for "secundary" stuff I wouldn't care for the difference between TN and IPS. (and a well calibrated TN panel is not as bad as to ruin the experience).

If anyone manages to get this setup please comment and show us ;)

whitespider
01-08-2013, 06:44 PM
If you got IPS 1600x900 monitors, that would leave you with 60hz on either side and 120hz (or above) as the centre. Wouldn't that be strange?

Shadman
01-08-2013, 10:42 PM
If you got IPS 1600x900 monitors, that would leave you with 60hz on either side and 120hz (or above) as the centre. Wouldn't that be strange?

But for iTunes and utorrent, nah. Games? Hell yeah

Sneaky
01-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Yeah .. It wouldn't be ideal but remember the 900 pixel side monitors would only mainly be for a little extra side
vision, most of your viewing would still be focused on your centre Monitor.
It may look a little odd but it would still give you an advantage in games.
I thought of doing this when I first got my 60hz Cat ... been lazy and haven't looked for 1440x900 monitors,
I'm guessing second hand ones would also do the trick, ideally the same make and model.

Xyriin
01-09-2013, 06:12 AM
imo if you're using a second (or third) display as just a status panel it really won't matter too much what it looks like or if it's a different resolution. You're only going to glance at the panel for the most part to get a quick update and not really focus on it. Similarly your interactive time on the panel should be minimal as well so a different resolution won't be a complete nightmare.

That said if you are using two displays for a lot of cross screen work...say something on the primary screen and an interactive reference on the secondary screen then the differing resolution would probably drive you mad. I went from two 1920x1200 to one of those being a 1440 after an untimely death and since I do work cross screen I'm counting the days until I get the second 1440. That said after I get the second 1440 the 1920x1200 will get re-purposed as a status only/movie screen and the resolution difference there won't matter again as my primary work will eventually be across the two 1440 panels.

Hassassin
01-09-2013, 09:28 AM
I actually had a 1080p 120Hz monitor (my previous one before the catleap), that I used for this "other stuff" and so. I didn't mind the TN/pixel density difference that much, but for gaming it was a no go. Other than for iTunes DJ (a feature which is no longer in iTunes :S) and a few other programs, it had no use having a second screen, so I sold it. But I'm still looking for some used 1440x900 panels that should be cheap enough to buy for a test... but cant find any.