PDA

View Full Version : LA Noire + Catleap 2B

HyperMatrix
10-19-2012, 03:19 AM
So, in LA Noire, the FPS is capped at 30fps. You can edit this in the game's memory using CheatEngine. But...here's the fun part about it. The FPS isn't just an FPS limiter. They actually designed game mechanics around it. So if I put it up to "300fps" cap, for example, it would actually slow down the game to the rate where rendering 300 frames would be the equivalent of 1 second of in-game time. Even if it took 5 seconds to render it. So you'd have super-slow mo gaming. Another fun part...is that vehicle brakes are tied to the same FPS limit. If you go from 30fps to 60fps, brakes take 5x longer to work. If you put it at 120fps for our monitors, the brakes almost don't exist. It's like you're driving on Ice. So I have to do fancy drifts and 180's and "tactical crashes" stop my car. Haha.

Anyone else done this? Or did you all play the game with that terrible 30fps limiter on?

Sneaky
10-19-2012, 04:32 AM
lmao ... not my type of game anyway ... I just don't get these FPS caps developers put on games.
In this instance though it may have been intended as if I am correct it is based on the style of old cinema anyway?

HyperMatrix
10-19-2012, 04:38 AM
lmao ... not my type of game anyway ... I just don't get these FPS caps developers put on games.
In this instance though it may have been intended as if I am correct it is based on the style of old cinema anyway?

And to sync with the characters facial animation. I call hogwash. I call it lazy development. Or a console port over done half-assed. Would be a nice game otherwise. Especially after the DX11 patch. Though I have to mention a game that's patched over to DX11 is nothing like a game developed from the start for DX11.

BlackOctagon
10-19-2012, 05:07 AM
This game is a tried and convicted console port hack job, unfortunately. A dem shame

Shadman
10-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Could we see a video of you playing it at the different FPS levels? It sounds really interesting haha

HyperMatrix
10-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Could we see a video of you playing it at the different FPS levels? It sounds really interesting haha

Uploading it now. Lol. Recorded this in 1080p instead of 1440p. Though now that I think about it...I don't know why I did that. Ah well. My apologies. won't happen again. Disgusting low-res 1080p....

iSmack
10-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Tried the game... Got bored... D: It was with the 30fps cap.

One of the main reasons why the FPS cap, is because the facial cap was done at 30fps. If you use something higher, you get wierd glitches apparantly. I haven't tested it myself, but it's what the devs said was the reason why the 30fps cap.

HyperMatrix
10-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Tried the game... Got bored... D: It was with the 30fps cap.

One of the main reasons why the FPS cap, is because the facial cap was done at 30fps. If you use something higher, you get wierd glitches apparantly. I haven't tested it myself, but it's what the devs said was the reason why the 30fps cap.

I heard that but it was hogwash. The problem is they tied a lot of things in to the 30fps cap, including vehicle brakes for some reason. The facial animations look less smooth because they were recorded at 30fps, and if everything around them is going at 60fps or 120fps, they look choppy in comparison. Not that it actually causes any issues beyond that. Other than...brakes not working. And game-time being tied to rendered frames. That means, if you set an FPS cap of 120fps, and you drop to 80fps or so, the game-time slows down a bit, and you end up at a point where every 1 second of game time is stretched out over 1.5 seconds of real life time. Lot of really stupid things...30fps is retarded.

HyperMatrix
10-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Here's a vid showing it with FPS cap initially at 30 (default) then 60fps, then 120fps, and then 480fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9B2nh47CiQ

Sneaky
10-21-2012, 01:10 AM
Geez ... last time I saw that amount of road carnage was watching my wife play GTA on the PS2. lmao

iSmack
10-22-2012, 08:10 AM
I heard that but it was hogwash. The problem is they tied a lot of things in to the 30fps cap, including vehicle brakes for some reason. The facial animations look less smooth because they were recorded at 30fps, and if everything around them is going at 60fps or 120fps, they look choppy in comparison. Not that it actually causes any issues beyond that. Other than...brakes not working. And game-time being tied to rendered frames. That means, if you set an FPS cap of 120fps, and you drop to 80fps or so, the game-time slows down a bit, and you end up at a point where every 1 second of game time is stretched out over 1.5 seconds of real life time. Lot of really stupid things...30fps is retarded.

Ahahaha, wow that's... that's quite retarded... Also the video was hilarious!