PDA

View Full Version : FPS issues with Medal of Honor: Warfighter?

HyperMatrix
10-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Anyone else have FPS issues? My cards are running at just 40-50% usage in single player, while my FPS is sitting at 50-70fps. I'm disappointed. SLI profile issue I'm guessing? If so, any way to force the BF3 SLI profile on it since it's the same engine?

p.s. the game looks effing beautiful....my god...2200mb vram usage on the first map. It's so yummy. Eye-gasm incoming.

Sneaky
10-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Bastard, it isn't available to play until the 25th here in Australia, I ended up getting a Limited Edition Key for $39 AU.
I hope they fix that shit ... sure they will but when is the question.
You should be able to force the BF3 profile through nVidia Inspector?

avengernoonzz
10-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Mine runs at 50-70fps with a single HD 7970 :/, it'd have to be a SLI profile issue if I had to guess.

You're right about the game looking beautiful. I didn't expect it to look so good.

HyperMatrix
10-22-2012, 11:16 PM
I turned it down from 32x csaa and 8x transparency anti-aliasing to 4x msaa and no transparency AA, and it went to 80-90% card usage and 140+ fps. It's weird how a video card dependent feature was lowering the card usage...

Guess I have to put up with 4x msaa. :(

HyperMatrix
10-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Mine runs at 50-70fps with a single HD 7970 :/, it'd have to be a SLI profile issue if I had to guess.

You're right about the game looking beautiful. I didn't expect it to look so good.

Shitty deal with this is...not many games look as good. And to be honest, BF3 did look just as good. It's an amazing engine, imo. I can't wait for more games to be built for dx11 from the ground up.

avengernoonzz
10-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Bastard, it isn't available to play until the 25th here in Australia, I ended up getting a Limited Edition Key for $39 AU.
I hope they fix that shit ... sure they will but when is the question.
You should be able to force the BF3 profile through nVidia Inspector?

have you got the game activated?

use a VPN :D

Sneaky
10-22-2012, 11:21 PM

AH ok, well I will be receiving my Key in the next 8-10 hours so will see then
Pretty excited ;)
Our clan will be running a 16 Player Server as well. Based in LA ;)
I just sold my Gigabyte GTX580 3GB for $520 :eek: so unfortunately
I may only get to play the game in SLI for a day or two until I can get my 680 4gb's :D

HyperMatrix
10-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Good choice on the 4GB card. For the few games that do use 'slightly over 2gb,' it's worth it. =D And I'm surprised at how much higher the framerate is on this game compared to bf3. Minus the weird 32x csaa/8x anti-aliasing AA bug. With 4x msaa and everything else maxed out I average 130-200 FPS.

winterhell
10-23-2012, 05:56 AM
Maybe you can try a higher internal resolution that downscales to the output one? I can go up to 3088 x 1930 (I get a red screen when I try a higher one, despite my vram being low). Burnout Paradise works fine at said resolution with 8xAA. And that way you can simulate higher AA than you have set. Downside is the hud would probably look smaller too. If you have the horsepower its worth a try ;)

Sneaky
10-23-2012, 07:38 AM

OK NoonZz, want to give us a tutorial so I can play before the 25th?
How do I use a VPN?

Downloading the game now ... got another 6hrs ...grrrrr ;(

iSmack
10-23-2012, 08:36 AM
I turned it down from 32x csaa and 8x transparency anti-aliasing to 4x msaa and no transparency AA, and it went to 80-90% card usage and 140+ fps. It's weird how a video card dependent feature was lowering the card usage...

Guess I have to put up with 4x msaa. :(

If you're not happy with your GPUs, I accept Donations. TY :)

HyperMatrix
10-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Maybe you can try a higher internal resolution that downscales to the output one? I can go up to 3088 x 1930 (I get a red screen when I try a higher one, despite my vram being low). Burnout Paradise works fine at said resolution with 8xAA. And that way you can simulate higher AA than you have set. Downside is the hud would probably look smaller too. If you have the horsepower its worth a try ;)

I'm not sure what the issue is, really. Changed to 8x CSAA and 2x transparency AA and that works fine. Cards going full blast. Always over 120fps. I'm happy with that. It was just odd to see card usage dropping with higher video card settings. You'd expect the card to be going 95-100%, and failing to push out frames. Not dropping to 40-50% usage and getting lower frames.

I'm being too picky...lol. The game is running beautifully now.

Sneaky
10-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Man .... this is one of the worst FPS's I have ever played, graphics are great but everything else is just shocking.
Hit detection is all over the place, spawned falling out of the map a million times, whole team have spawned in a section
of a map that is away from the main playing arena.
The thing that pisses me off the most is at the end of a round, Idiots who haven't calibrated their mics properly deafen you.
Maps are average too.
It's only saving grace is single player is pretty good ... but Multi player ... sheeesh talk about a steaming pile.
Should have just waited for Black Ops 2

HyperMatrix
10-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Man .... this is one of the worst FPS's I have ever played, graphics are great but everything else is just shocking.
Hit detection is all over the place, spawned falling out of the map a million times, whole team have spawned in a section
of a map that is away from the main playing arena.
The thing that pisses me off the most is at the end of a round, Idiots who haven't calibrated their mics properly deafen you.
Maps are average too.
It's only saving grace is single player is pretty good ... but Multi player ... sheeesh talk about a steaming pile.
Should have just waited for Black Ops 2

That's probably why they gave it for 50% off. :P I haven't finished single player yet. Graphics are nice. I just wish some of the textures were higher res. Running at 8x AA, and 4x transparency AA, and always well over 120fps. Enjoying single player so far. Some of the weapons feel really good. Was looking forward to using them in multi-player. I wasn't expecting there to be any issues with multi-player considering it's the exact same engine as BF3. So that's a bit disappointing. I'll share my thoughts when I try it out.

But yes, Black Ops 2 is definitely nowhere near as pretty but it should deliver on the multi-player side. That's kind of the only reason COD still is relevant.

whitespider
10-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Medal of honour warfighter has one thing going for it, the engine it uses. While if you are solely going in for multiplayer - it does have some intelligent features. The actual maps are terribly constructed.

I downloaded the game because I wanted a game to use a lot of my cpu and video card grunt. However when the credits rolled, I was sick to my stomach. At some point the nice engine failed to mask the pro-american shooting gallery this game actually is.

And while the graphics in the game are technically using a lot of grunt - they don't take advantage of the engine. Devolving into a series of blacks and browns. The first level looks sharp, and it steadily goes downhill from there. The driving section is the only time I did not feel insulted. The ending was sickening, and made me lose faith in gaming for a few seconds. No game in years has done that. Not even big rigs.

Spec ops the line was also a mediocre game (although nowhere near as variety starved as this one), however it offered emotional weight and themes in it's moving story. Black ops 2 is proudly doing the opposite of spec ops the line. Instead going for a bubblegum future, however that is guaranteed to at least be a blast. This game is none of those things, and even if you judge the game entirely on the few inventive multiplayer features, it still falls short due to the uninspired map design that often has maze like labyrinth levels that have dead ends and the overpumped heath of the players. At least the boring stop and pop singleplayer has realistic levels of heath for the enemies.

The first game in years, out of hundreds, that I would give a 1/10. From now on I won't play a game for it's engine. I'll do what I normally do. Play it for the game itself.

That's one of the downsides of being a hardcore snob like me. You sometimes dive into things based on visuals and optimization. Instead of drawing my line upwards, I have decided (based on my horrible time with this game) on drawing my line down.

To elaborate, I won't play a game if it's 30fps and I would prefer 2560x1440, however at no point will I play a technically more advanced game over a lesser technical feat. If i had done that I would not have played some of my favourite games this year, dishonoured, xcom, and borderlands 2. All dx9 games that use the aging unreal engine 3.

Besides, purely from a graphical snob perspective, the physx in borderlands 2 impressed me more than tessellation EVER has.

HyperMatrix
10-28-2012, 09:42 AM
You know, white spider, the ending caught me off guard. As in....I felt the game/story was only around halfway complete by the time they ended it. So I didn't understand what they were doing. It felt short. Too short. With no depth. And say what you will about COD, but I love it's single player mode. Also really enjoyed BF3's single player mode. I just felt medal of honor's story line was really raw and poorly put together. Which is unfortunate.

whitespider
10-29-2012, 04:21 AM
You know, white spider, the ending caught me off guard. As in....I felt the game/story was only around halfway complete by the time they ended it. So I didn't understand what they were doing. It felt short. Too short. With no depth. And say what you will about COD, but I love it's single player mode. Also really enjoyed BF3's single player mode. I just felt medal of honor's story line was really raw and poorly put together. Which is unfortunate.

Call of duty is what brought around the copycats, however in it's need to constantly 1-up itself - it's not that bad. So I agree with you. While I prefer innovation, intelligence, and depth - call of duty is still fun. And black ops specifically, was an offshoot that worked. It actually justified and made sense of it's scattered storyline.

That's why I am looking forward to black ops 2. It's doing a few new things, like a new timeline/setting, and it's going to exploit that setting for batshit crazy events and hopefully a storyline that makes as much sense as black ops 1. And that will make it an acceptable game. I actually preferred black ops over modem warfare 3. It had more of a involved and edgy storyline, and it felt more like a thriller game than a thinktank of marketing trying to appeal to the lowest-common-denominator (medal of honor and call of duty mw3 feel a bit like that).

As for medal of honor. That deserves none of the praise those games do. In call of duty or black ops, each scripted scenario feels a little different. It mixes up the over-the-top setpieces in a way that feels thrilling. In MOH, it's basically about 'whack a mole' sniper gameplay, where you run from one cover point and A<----->D left and right and snipe people in the head. The few setpiece moments don't involve any player agency. For example, in call of duty you can shoot a lot of tanks in a airstrike cam. And then have that battle easier when you continue on foot. Or you can take out several helecopters. In moh, there is usually one thing you can do. Everything else is static.

As for the ending. It left me speechless. It's like anyone who comes back from war is automatically an angel. The internal conflict he was having between war and family was completely undone by how it made us heroes of the highest order by playing whack-a-pole, aim at turbin for a few hours prior. It had no emotional weight or deeper meaning. It felt like an american army brainwashing session.
Soldiers are sometimes heroes, and what they go through is often impossible for other people to understand. But there is a shade of grey to everything. And moh was black and white to such a degree that it was beyond offensive.

The only reason I gave medal of honor 1/10 instead of a 0/10, is because it has three small things that would fit well in a better game, such as a well done car-chase-sequence and some destructible wooden cover.

HyperMatrix
10-29-2012, 04:44 AM
If it weren't for the Frostbite 2 engine, the game wouldn't have even received the 6.2/10 that it got from Gametrailers.com. I found the multiplayer to be terrible as well. It looks like the multiplayer maps used lower quality textures and lower polygon count. And all in all it looked terrible compared to the single player game. And it felt weird. I did like one thing about multiplayer. The "buddy system" I actually thought was nice. Squads in BF3 never worked out well, other than picking to be in a squad that had the perks you were interested in. But with just 1 buddy that you can spawn on, it did add more team work and co-op gameplay. I hope to see more of that in future games.

I can't believe I paid half price for the game and still feel completely ripped off. I wish they had just stuck to the WW2 themes. There's enough modern shooters out there as is. And this definitely doesn't even come close to being able to compete with them.

Crackatoah
11-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Love the multiplayer in this game.

Its crap the first 4 days you play it, it really is, but the learning curve is longer than most other games, after 4 days it just clicked for me..... After you learn the game properly is fantastic, the gun gameplay and recoil/variety is much better than BF3 IMO, to me compared to this the guns in BF3 all feel the same and you just point and shoot to get a hit marker with huge hit boxes and sluggish samey recoil, BF3 feels like an amazing tech demo of the engine rather than a great fps gameplay. MOH is also more skill based and more competative IMO

I think people didn't give this game a chance and played it for a few days/hours and said it was crap.

For me games that feel poor to begin with can end up being some of the best games you have ever played once you get used to them and it 'clicks'. A big example for me is MAG on the PS3, it was absolute dog turd, but I bought it so kept playing it and after 2 weeks it clicked and it was AMAZING, played it for more than a year full stop and is the single best game I have ever played. Planetside 2 although great just doesn't come close, A shame MAG isn't on PC :(

Sneaky
11-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Are you serious? Hit reg on MoH is the worst of any FPS I have ever played.
I've been playing FPS for over 10 years now and I usually get used to a game pretty quick.
Doesn't matter how long you play a game, if it smells like shit then it usually is.
More skill based and more competitive? ....... really don't know what to say about that lol
I bet you have your graphics maxed out too ... some will get the reference there lol
Don't mean to sound rude or condescending but I couldn't disagree with what you have said more.

Crackatoah
11-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Hit reg is noticably better on MOH than BF3 for me :/ the hit boxes feel ( or are) very accurate compared to BF3 and shooting feels instantaneous with no lag, and no bending bullets. This is one big thing I like about the game compared to BF3.

Some games you do need to learn for a few days before you just 'get' them, you can't always tell how good/bad a game is from playing it a few hours.

I don't use HBAO as its harder to see people, everything else I run at max because I enjoy the eye candy and I doesn't get in the way.

Its definetly more skill based than BF3, for example if you are better than the other player 9/10 you will kill him, and you will very rarely win a straight 2 on 1 with half decent players.

HyperMatrix
11-19-2012, 10:00 AM
The entire multiplayer experience felt "off." I do very well in bf3, and even in black ops 2 which has THE WORST net code of any cod game out there (because treyarch is hosting all the servers so no playing against people in your own region, on a host in your own region). But I couldn't stand multiplayer in warfighter. The graphics were much lower than in single player. Shooting was very different from the single player and felt odd. And all in all it was rather half-baked in its design and implementation. And I think it was done intentionally so it wouldn't take away from the bf3 multiplayer scene.

Crackatoah
11-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I thought EXACTLY the same hyper, that just nailed it, it felt 'off' as you say, and I spawned and just got blown up or killed all the time, it felt like a cluster fuck, guns didnt feel right, graphics looked messy, went back on to BF3 and it felt smooth and allot better all round.

Then 4 days later playing it a few hours a day I got my head around the game and the graphics just look extremely nice, maybe just got used to them, and learnt the recoil patterns of the guns and different classes and its awesome, in BF3 you dont have to to that, you just aim and shoot/burst fire incording to the weapon your using so you can understand the game relatively well within a day/ few hours of playing.
This isnt the case with MOH, as you actually start off with pretty pants guns, so in order to really know the game you have to atleast go up some levels and learn the guns/gameplay characteristics properly which does take a bit of time

Seriously if that first line of mine is how you felt about the game then give it a proper go if you have time or want to get your moneys worth, because it is a very solid game with some depth, ill tell you why;

The classes are very varied, more so are the guns and attachments, buts most importantly, this is one of the few recent games where all the classes and guns are very different, and extremely equal. solid game.

Playing each class is a COMPLETELY different experience/ gameplay, seriously, it feels like playing 4-5 different games with each class if you get what Im saying and it is still very equal.

I no im going on about it here, but its only because I thought exactly the same as everyone else with probably the same amount of playtime as you, and it turned out to be a real solid and fun game once I got my head round it, which no matter who you are does take a bit of time because its not just learning the game but also unlocking better things and playing all of the classes, which in itself takes time.