PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia banned Voltage modification!?

HyperMatrix
10-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Anyone see this? Apparently Nvidia isn't allowing EVBot or Voltage modification of any kind in its cards. So no more EVBot support or other support through software for going beyond certain voltage parameters. Good thing I bought my cards before that happened. They will retain their price better long term. =D But this has got to be pretty disappointing for water cooling overclockers.

http://videocardz.com/35287/evga-drops-evbot-support-for-geforce-gtx-680-classified-edition

Shadman
10-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah I've seen it, and pretty upset actually. My temps are fine as high as my core clock can go, but to go any higher I need moar voltage!

Sneaky
10-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Assholes ...... First the Pixel clock limitations now this ... wtf is going on here?

HyperMatrix
10-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Assholes ...... First the Pixel clock limitations now this ... wtf is going on here?

They play fair, apparently. They were too far ahead of AMD and thought they'd level the playing field a bit. :P

BlackOctagon
10-25-2012, 04:48 AM
I heard rumours that AMD may not be far behind in following suit with this retarded tend :(

Cpt.Teacup
10-25-2012, 08:17 AM
I heard rumours that AMD may not be far behind in following suit with this retarded tend :(

There's no reason for them to do that. They'll use this to their advantage; "Buy our cards, we'll let you overclock!"

BlackOctagon
10-25-2012, 08:44 AM
I hope you're right

Mandarin
10-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Most extreme cards have these limitations.. Asus 680, MSI lightnings...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sn0_Man
10-25-2012, 12:05 PM
While technically 680 Lightnings have this restriction, there is definitely a BIOS out there for them that has unlocked voltage control. You just can't get it from official sources anymore (it was an official BIOS for like a week). So the dream still isn't dead.

But seriously, Screw Nvidia.

Sneaky
10-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Are there any apps out there that can be used to edit an nVidia cards BIOS to unlock the voltage control?

HyperMatrix
10-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Are there any apps out there that can be used to edit an nVidia cards BIOS to unlock the voltage control?

I wonder if that's something ToastyX could do to increase his donator list. =D

brokn9
10-25-2012, 02:17 PM
I wonder if that's something ToastyX could do to increase his donator list. =D

Hahaha

EniGmA1987
10-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Yes. There is a guy on Overclock.net that does stuff on the 670 and the 660Ti has a great guy at XtremeSystems. Work is being done to support all Kepler cards completely.

Sneaky
10-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Well there is hope then.
Can't believe they are doing this crap. The thing that gets me the most is remember Hyper posting on the nVidia forums about
the pixel clock limits? They completely ignored it and it seems as though they applied the limit just to stick it to us,
they haven't even given a reason WHY. If there was a valid reason then OK but to lock voltage control, the only reason I can think of is
they are trying to level out the performance gap with their whole range of cards.
This may be an indication that their next release of cards will be only slightly more powerful than the current line up.
If they didn't lock voltage control then no one would feel the need to up grade.

nVidia .... why don't you supply a big tube of assssscream with each card? We will need it if your going to continually screw us.

HyperMatrix
10-25-2012, 08:51 PM
I told you guys months ago that nvidia's current platform can support a 75% increase in performance but I made a bet that their next update will instead be a 25%-35% improvement, and all depending on what AMD releases. No point pushing out too big of a performance boost when you can get away with a smaller boost, with lower manufacturing cost.

Sneaky
10-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah, all indications point to you being correct unfortunately.

Shadman
10-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Which is funny, cause they aren't doing too fantastic in market share in every other market they are in.