PDA

View Full Version : Specific games you think look fantastic at IPS 2560x1440

whitespider
05-05-2012, 04:32 AM
The Witcher 2 - The combination of the textures, the thick geometry, the ssao, the post processing, all create an image that is rich with detail. And that detail transfers fantastically to this resolution. The vibrancy is also improved a whole lot with a IPS screen.

Crysis 2 with the direct x 11 texture pack and ultra settings - Incredible levels of detail thanks to the parallax occlusion mapping, tessellation, and some GREAT shading. The game scales brilliantly to UHD (ultra hd), and probably has the biggest performance hit when raising the resolution as well.

Skyrim with modded textures - Not the best looking game in the world, however the constantly varying detail levels and some stunning sights created by the incredible world design, make this the most beautiful game with terrible tech. Probably the biggest benefit from anti aliasing in any game as well, due to the scope and detail levels co-existing.

Just cause 2 - On an IPS screen, this game literally pops off the screen with it's perfect color grading. Something about this game just scales up REALLY well. And it continues to run smoothly as well. Plus the colors in this game specifically work wonders on IPS.

Trine 2 - My god this game is breathtaking at it's worst moments and something else altogether at it's best. The first trine has some lovely visuals, this takes it to a new level entirely. Like the witcher 2, this game sports artistic world design to match what might be the most vibrant looking game ever created. Bar none. Very IPS friendly.

Battlefield 3 - This game is fine looking. Although it's grading is a little dull and washed out. It scales well, as there is a lot of detail in this game.

Metro 2033 - The game itself is less than fantastic in my eyes. However when you run this game with everything at dx11 - very high levels. It does look quite special, and looks twice as special at 2560x1440. Unfortunately this game is a bit of a hog.

There are many other games I have no doubt forgotten to mention. In every game I have listed games at 2560x1440 look twice as good as 1920x1080.

Feel free to share some games you think scale really well.

Junkboy
05-05-2012, 05:08 AM
While I love your choices and own 5 of those games I'm very interested in how games on emulators might look. I'm curious how my Luigi's Mansion on GC will look like at 1440p, I'm lucky enough that I kept most of my games so I have ton's of disc from most generations that I can use on PC emulators. But yeah, I'm interested in GC games and DC games on how they run on higher res and what they look like.

HyperMatrix
05-05-2012, 05:13 AM
Battlefield 3 does indeed look gorgeous on these displays with ultra settings. Though that requires OC'd gtx 680's.

whitespider
05-05-2012, 05:37 AM
While I love your choices and own 5 of those games I'm very interested in how games on emulators might look. I'm curious how my Luigi's Mansion on GC will look like at 1440p, I'm lucky enough that I kept most of my games so I have ton's of disc from most generations that I can use on PC emulators. But yeah, I'm interested in GC games and DC games on how they run on higher res and what they look like.

They look a world better. Although 1920x1080p is already a huge improvement over it's SD counterpart. The difference between something like the witcher 2 @ ultra and Dolphen @ Xenosaga/Mario Galaxy/Eternal Darkness/Zelda is that those games don't upscale thick detail. So you just get a sharper image, rather than a drastically more detailed image. What you essentially want is a game with enough detail to scale beyond what your monitor can actually show. That way the pixels will be saturated with as much detail as they can show, rather than something well below that.

That's why pixel shaders, parallax mapping, high resolution textures, and thick geometry count for a whole lot in UHD. They saturate the image with layers. If you booted the original quake up, and ran it at 2560x1440. Sure, it would be a novelty seeing the game so sharp, it just would never even remotely compare to more modern games with advanced features. The same logic applies for GCN/WII games on the dolphen emu, or ps2 games on an emulator. They improve, but they mostly just get very fine edges. You still see the same blurry textures and simple effects.

It's not all negative however, If i just pick a random game, say super mario galaxy 2. It's stunning on pc @ 2560x1440. In fact, it's running at a level we won't see in the next 3 nintendo console cycles.

Another thing - emulators run at the speed of the console, so if we set the fps to 120, it would be like speedy gonzales, and very much unplayable. I always wished they focued on overclocking the emulated console, so it could legitimately produce a higher than originating console framerate.

Junkboy
05-05-2012, 06:20 AM
I guess that clarity is what I'm looking for. I understand we'll still see the bad textures but there is something to be said about seeing an old game perfectly clear. Some of the PS2 games like SotC and Snake Eater look just incredible on the PC, so I guess I'm more of an old guy looking to get the most out of his old games. :p

whitespider
05-05-2012, 08:14 AM
At some point I made a decision not to get too fixated on what meant something to me, and keep my priority on current innovation rather than "the glory days"

However my favorite film still remains fight club. And.... That was 1999. So I might be failing in my task.

Junkboy
05-05-2012, 08:58 AM
At some point I made a decision not to get too fixated on what meant something to me, and keep my priority on current innovation rather than "the glory days"

However my favorite film still remains fight club. And.... That was 1999. So I might be failing in my task.

Lol, well no, I'm not fixated at all I it just so happnes that the games I mentioned are some of the few games I like to replay everyone once in awhile. As of late the Dead Space games I have truly loved, so it's just nice getting more out of something that you think would possible at one point.

I mean look at D3 for all of it's change it's trying to stay the same as much as possible. (minus the skill system)

Things change sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse, but going from the original GC to the dolphin in 1080p was amazing so I'm hoping for further improvement going up to 1440p.

goji
05-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Most of the games I like are older, and I like them crystal clear also. High super sampling with 2560, gotta see it. :P

whitespider
05-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Fair Enough!

Ctrlhomer
05-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Hands down, Battlefield 3 on Ultra. Even though I can barely manage above 70+ fps with an OCed GTX 680 its like playing an interactive movie at times.

Shadman
05-07-2012, 03:33 AM
Even with settings turned down, BF3 looks awesome on my dual 460's OCd.

TF2 also looks pretty awesome, especially when you use the small menu's/GUI/whatever its called.

Still trying to find time to test out other games. I SHOULD try CS 1.6, I mean, its the whole reason I got this monitor...

HyperMatrix
05-07-2012, 03:46 AM
If anyone's tried the Mists of Pandaria beta for WoW....it looks simply stunning now. But it gives performance similar to what I get from BF3. It's ridiculous. -_-

Ctrlhomer
05-07-2012, 09:25 AM
When I briefly had the s27a850, wow looked amazing on ultra and that was on a 60hz monitor. But MoP has barely updated the graphics engine, so my guess the same as cata minus the higher res textures in the new content.

Sn0_Man
05-07-2012, 09:42 AM
BF3 is nice and all, but seriously, once you make it to 2560x1440 on an IPS screen, only 1 game really takes advantage of that screen.

Dwarf Fortress
http://afteractionreporter.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/dftutorial13.png?w=600
:D

whitespider
05-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Max Payne 3 might look half decent.

Phunky
05-07-2012, 02:47 PM
CS:GO looks lovely on this :) and so does Wii emulator playing a bit of Zelda in 1440p is crazy good.

Street Fighter Vs Tekken also looks good although sure it will look better on 100hz when it arrives

lee63
05-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Hands down, Battlefield 3 on Ultra. Even though I can barely manage above 70+ fps with an OCed GTX 680 its like playing an interactive movie at times.No MSAA I presume ?

whitespider
05-10-2012, 03:57 PM
CS:GO looks lovely on this :) and so does Wii emulator playing a bit of Zelda in 1440p is crazy good.

Street Fighter Vs Tekken also looks good although sure it will look better on 100hz when it arrives

Nomatter how hard I try, I cannot enjoy fighting games. Specifically when it's with another player, whenever I am playing, even winning (in some rare cases) I can't get this feeling that I want to go explore caves and find mystical swords that speak instead.

But hey, I see the appeal. I just don't experience it. My misfortune more than anything. Means I am not open to everything, and have more tunnel-taste.

necriss
05-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Mirror's Edge is incredible on max detail with SMAA injector, the textures are very sharp on high resolution and the smoothness of high refresh rates puts the icing on the cake. Here are some screenshots I took. Running 100-150fps+ on 680gtx.

SMAA Injector (similar to fxaa injector but doesn't screw around with colors) - http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

Dead Space 2 is very immersive on 1440p but the textures are obviously optimized for 720p console, notably the character's back which is always visible is quite low res.

Gabriel
05-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Have you tried games that beside the incredible image and color blast are taking advantage of 120Hz capability?
I've found out that not all games can run at 60+ frame/Vsync enabled @ 120Hz.
For instance Tekken vs Street fighter and L.A. Noire are locking at 60fps
120Hz is being taking advantaged in Amalur and Dirt 3 (Looks stunning)

brokn9
05-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Im excited to try it out with Counter Strike: Global Offensive. Hopefully I can get a hold of the monitor and try it out.

Satire
09-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Trine 2 - My god this game is breathtaking at it's worst moments and something else altogether at it's best. The first trine has some lovely visuals, this takes it to a new level entirely. Like the witcher 2, this game sports artistic world design to match what might be the most vibrant looking game ever created. Bar none. Very IPS friendly.
Fully agreed, when I first launched the game I was amazed at how amazing it looks. Shame it seems to have a cap of 100Hz, but it's all good.

Darkness 2 really looks great as well.

jerrolds
09-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Any game looks great - but darker games with a lot of solid blacks may not because of the IPS Glow. I know for me i have to sit a bit further back for games like Left 4 Dead 2 and Bio Shock.

nocturnal7x
09-10-2012, 02:51 AM
Im excited to try it out with Counter Strike: Global Offensive. Hopefully I can get a hold of the monitor and try it out.

Ditto. CS especially can bennefit from more resolution and more "up to date" screen info :D

Sneaky
09-10-2012, 03:13 AM
Skyrim and Darksiders II looks awesome ;)

Attackmonkey444
09-10-2012, 03:28 AM
I have a feeling Borderlands 2 will look amazing as well. I love the artistic direction they took with that game.

BlackOctagon
09-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Can't wait to see this thread expanded once people start getting their monitors!

Crysis 2 with the direct x 11 texture pack and ultra settings - Incredible levels of detail thanks to the parallax occlusion mapping, tessellation, and some GREAT shading. The game scales brilliantly to UHD (ultra hd), and probably has the biggest performance hit when raising the resolution as well.

What about Crysis 1?!?!

whitespider
09-14-2012, 03:14 AM
Can't wait to see this thread expanded once people start getting their monitors!

What about Crysis 1?!?!

I think crysis 2 in direct x 11 mode (And ONLY direct x 11 mode), is a far better looking game than Crysis. It also uses about twice the gpu grunt. Crysis 1 is CPU limited unless you turn the object distant right down (It's not as multi-threaded as Crysis 2). And even then I can get 99fps with everything at max and barely hit 75% useage. I literally need to turn the anti aliasing up to 32x just to get it to use 80-90% of both gpus @ 99fps.

Plus crysis tends to microstutter once you get over 60fps. It's engine related rather than graphics card related as well. It's the same on a single gtx 670. I don't think the game was ever intended to go higher than 60fps/60hz. In fact, unless I force the 99hz refresh rate to be 'native' via CRU, the game won't run at anything higher than 60hz. And it feels way smoother that way.

HyperMatrix
09-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Deus X looked really good. Just downloaded arkham city to see how it looks and performs. And of course bf3 and mass effect and skyrim. Though skyrim with the hd texture packs and ultra settings still makes my sli 680's cry. :(

whitespider
09-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Deus X looked really good. Just downloaded arkham city to see how it looks and performs. And of course bf3 and mass effect and skyrim. Though skyrim with the hd texture packs and ultra settings still makes my sli 680's cry. :(

Arkham City with everything completely max, and sli. (Tessellation and physx both high as well as extreme preset) - tends to stutter when gliding through the city. Set the detail to "high" and use the GOTY edition of the game, and the stutter is 80% reduced. And the gpu use goes way up as well.

apollo
09-24-2012, 03:02 PM

have you checked to see if that's at least in part because you might be getting VRAM limited? I got a 4gb 670 coz it was on offer and I figured if I'm going to SLI which doesn't double the ram...but reading further most people think that nothing gets vram limited, and even a heavily modded skyrim that can push over 2gb slightly the 3gb on an ati card (which in retrospect I think are better value atm, even with the offer my card was on, just) will do the job

HyperMatrix
09-24-2012, 03:07 PM
With HD texture pack and all settings maxed out, 32x AA, and 8x supersampling, it's around 1800-2400mb usage only. With 2x AA and no supersampling, it doesn't hit 2000mb. The problem with the game is a few things, imo.

1) DX9 game, but tries a lot of beautification techniques which are far more efficient in a DX11 environment
2) Poor CPU optimization in some areas end up limiting the GPU's
3) Other odd stuttering/lack of fluidity (in certain scenes, constant) even while at over 120 fps.

It is a big game, after all. And the bigger it is, the more of a chance of there being problems.

nocturnal7x
09-26-2012, 03:18 PM
All of them.

After I had my monitor working I started playing all my games to see what the hubbub was about. Started with crysis and holy shit, guns look real. Then I played skyrim using skyrim HD and the HD DLC pack I can actually see the 2k land textures aren't hi res enough lol. The most amazing part of skyrim are the trees, they look amazing (I use verts flora too). The trees looks real, the leaves are crystal at this res. Its like looking through a window. But this was all before the OC, Ill go play these again but since the OCing Ive played BF3 a bit, the most amazing part was the lack of screen tearing. I think I can say goodbye to vsync, and that is what I really wanted all along :D

Punishert
09-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Black Mesa looks pretty nice.

New background till I actually play the game and find a better scene.

whitespider
09-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Black Mesa looks pretty nice.

New background till I actually play the game and find a better scene.

I ran ssao as well, which made it look quite a bit nicer than that. Half life 2's profile works just perfect.

apollo
09-29-2012, 12:52 PM
wow - at the moment I'm playing Skryim (no mods), Black Mesa, and BF3, and this monitor has made them all so much better - higher res is always nice, the panel is good although I think with some calibration of the settings which I've not yet attempted could be better, and most noticeably on BF3, everything is smoother and my KD ratio seems to be improved (always hard to tell objectively, as I also recently got a nice new Razer mouse and mousemat which is also improving my aim)

I think 27" is also the sweet spot for me in terms of monitor size, and where I sit, as it just about fills my non-peripheral vision.

Badelhas
05-08-2013, 08:19 PM
The Witcher 2 - The combination of the textures, the thick geometry, the ssao, the post processing, all create an image that is rich with detail. And that detail transfers fantastically to this resolution. The vibrancy is also improved a whole lot with a IPS screen.

Skyrim with modded textures - Not the best looking game in the world, however the constantly varying detail levels and some stunning sights created by the incredible world design, make this the most beautiful game with terrible tech. Probably the biggest benefit from anti aliasing in any game as well, due to the scope and detail levels co-existing.

Just cause 2 - On an IPS screen, this game literally pops off the screen with it's perfect color grading. Something about this game just scales up REALLY well. And it continues to run smoothly as well. Plus the colors in this game specifically work wonders on IPS.

Battlefield 3 - This game is fine looking. Although it's grading is a little dull and washed out. It scales well, as there is a lot of detail in this game.

Metro 2033 - The game itself is less than fantastic in my eyes. However when you run this game with everything at dx11 - very high levels. It does look quite special, and looks twice as special at 2560x1440. Unfortunately this game is a bit of a hog.

There are many other games I have no doubt forgotten to mention. In every game I have listed games at 2560x1440 look twice as good as 1920x1080.

Feel free to share some games you think scale really well.

What about 3d vision with this monitor at 120Hz?

nocturnal7x
05-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Anything with small details. First thing I noticed was skyrim, I was able to see the leaves on the trees crystal clear. Ill have to load up metro one of these days just to relive the atmosphere, but in a higher res.

Sneaky
05-08-2013, 11:01 PM
What about 3d vision with this monitor at 120Hz?
You cannot run 3D Vision on these monitors, there is a huge thread on the forum somewhere about it .. do a search. ;)

guinner16
05-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Bioshock Infinite. Ultra Settings. Titan SLI. A thing of Beauty

winterhell
06-02-2013, 10:47 AM
You cannot run 3D Vision on these monitors, there is a huge thread on the forum somewhere about it .. do a search. ;)
Now now, 3D Vision also supports Anaglyph rendering for people who want to damage their eyes ;) . 120Hz per eye sounds tempting regardless.