PDA

View Full Version : Crysis @ 120hz

nocturnal7x
10-29-2012, 12:19 AM
In case anyone wants to know because if you run fullscreen the game is locked @ 60hz so,

Turn on task bar hiding on. While in game/menu hit alt+enter, nicely makes the game full screen windowed. Been depressed with games lately so I started playing crysis, the game is fucking amazing, even more so with mods.

Im running xtreme FX 2, and a atmosphere + POM mod. The game could almost pass for DX11 (except I get 20-30fps which would be higher if the game was DX11 :P )

Parallax Occlusion Mapping is awesome. It should be used in every game. Ill upload a vid when I get a chance, have some sweet footage.

whitespider
10-29-2012, 10:04 AM
In case anyone wants to know because if you run fullscreen the game is locked @ 60hz so,

Turn on task bar hiding on. While in game/menu hit alt+enter, nicely makes the game full screen windowed. Been depressed with games lately so I started playing crysis, the game is fucking amazing, even more so with mods.

Im running xtreme FX 2, and a atmosphere + POM mod. The game could almost pass for DX11 (except I get 20-30fps which would be higher if the game was DX11 :P )

Parallax Occlusion Mapping is awesome. It should be used in every game. Ill upload a vid when I get a chance, have some sweet footage.

Make sure there are no custom resolutions in the nividia control panel below what you want. Plus make sure you are using CRU to set the custom resolution you want. Setting say, 120hz via CRU should disable what nividia does with it's resolutions and refresh defaults.

For example, by default nvidia has 2560x1440 @ 60hz. Then you set a custom resolution of 120hz or 130hz. That's 120hz and 2560x1440. However 60hz is still the 'native', some games, including crysis will default to the absolute lowest (or native in the games eyes).

You want the native (or lowest selectable refresh rate) to appear as 120hz, and setting 120hz via cru will make 120hz show across the board as the lowest selectable refresh rate. Then you can add something higher or lower than that via the nividia control panel.

Also a final word of warning, crysis does not appear much smoother at 120hz vs 60hz. In fact, 60hz with vsync on produces smoother frames. Crysis has a microstutter effect when you go over 60hz that counteracts the normal smoothness gains. At least from my experience with it. A few other games tend to feel a lot worse at over 60hz as well, such as amnesia.

Crysis 2, on the other hand, does incrementally feel much smoother at over 60hz.

BlackOctagon
10-29-2012, 10:57 AM
crysis does not appear much smoother at 120hz vs 60hz. In fact, 60hz with vsync on produces smoother frames. Crysis has a microstutter effect when you go over 60hz that counteracts the normal smoothness gains. At least from my experience with it.

That's really interesting, cheers. I must say I play it on my 1080p 120Hz screen and have always been disappointed by the fact that approx. 60fps (the best I can pull on a single OC'd 7970) doesn't 'feel' as smooth as it should. I always put it down to the fact that the game is a poorly optmised resource hog, and the fact that I can run most other games at around 120fps.

I'll try it at 60Hz to see if that improves things.

nocturnal7x
10-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Well running the mods im runnning I don't have to worry about going over 60 :P The screen tearing is unbearable at 60 hz anyway and I hate the feel of vsync.

And thanks for the tip white spider!